• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGaf OLED owners thread

Clarissa

Banned
Got a C7 and now a C9.
Ever since I owned an oled. I only use the TV in a dark room environment. Esp when watching hdr or dolby vision content.

Even watching sdr content in a dark room is so good.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Pretty sure there's already an OLED thread...
Not really OLED thread, but people talk more about it

HAVE A B6

BURN IN IS A BITCH

Yup, got an E7 and I got some uggo burn in too. They said the risk was low and all that but I've honestly been quite careful and it still happened. On the bright side I no longer care anymore about it and just yolo with whatever content so there is that. But I would definitely say, Oled for regular content, but gaming is probably better on LCDs, Oled is just not made for it unfortunately if you want a long term screen at least.

Hostile_18

Banned
I have last years top of the line Panasonic.

Gaming on OLED is really revolutionary, anything else is like playing with a filter on. We will soon conquer the world my brothers and sisters. One day all unbelievers will discover the light, as we have.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Yup, got an E7 and I got some uggo burn in too. They said the risk was low and all that but I've honestly been quite careful and it still happened. On the bright side I no longer care anymore about it and just yolo with whatever content so there is that. But I would definitely say, Oled for regular content, but gaming is probably better on LCDs, Oled is just not made for it unfortunately if you want a long term screen at least.
I (and many others) have put in 100s of hours of games with static content and never had any burn in and never had any significant image retention either. I say this when I was worried at times too. There were times when I spent all day playing games like Assassins Creed Odyssey, Dark Souls 1 and 3. Recently Borderlands 3. But I also watched youtube, netflix/streaming etc. and 4K bluray. My B7A was pretty resilient.

At the end of the day, the key always is to vary the content on a somewhat regular basis. I make sure I watch youtube, amazon prime, movies, etc. after long gaming sessions.

Now who do I not recommend OLED for:
1. Those who are looking for it to double as an everyday PC monitor to be used for productivity. Eventhough, some have said that with screensavers that it never becomes an issue. I say get a cheap monitor to use for productivity and save the OLED for gaming.
2. Those who will play pretty much one game and don't branch out. The FIFA players, Fortnite, and Overwatch crowd. If you're only gonna play one game, save the $$$ and get a TCL and/or Vizio M-series instead.

I (and many others) have put in 100s of hours of games with static content and never had any burn in and never had any significant image retention either. I say this when I was worried at times too. There were times when I spent all day playing games like Assassins Creed Odyssey, Dark Souls 1 and 3. Recently Borderlands 3. But I also watched youtube, netflix/streaming etc. and 4K bluray. My B7A was pretty resilient.

At the end of the day, the key always is to vary the content on a somewhat regular basis. I make sure I watch youtube, amazon prime, movies, etc. after long gaming sessions.

Now who do I not recommend OLED for:
1. Those who are looking for it to double as an everyday PC monitor to be used for productivity. Eventhough, some have said that with screensavers that it never becomes an issue. I say get a cheap monitor to use for productivity and save the OLED for gaming.
2. Those who will play pretty much one game and don't branch out. The FIFA players, Fortnite, and Overwatch crowd. If you're only gonna play one game, save the $$$ and get a TCL and/or Vizio M-series instead.

I did do all of that as well and I was quite careful, still happened though. It's up to everyone who thinks of buying a new TV to consider whether the risk is worth it or not, but I do think that people should be aware that it IS a very legitimate risk.

Last edited:
i've got an 65" e6 in the living room with a ps4 pro and a 55" c6 in the den with a xbonex. i put hundreds of hours into rainbow six siege on ps4, 0 burn in on either set

glorious TVs

Last edited:

GymWolf

Right now i have a panasonic 55fz800e, kinda of a beast.

I will wait for microled or the next iteration of oled to change this one.

JBat

We've had a c9 for a few weeks. Fantastic TV. I love that the YouTube TV app is available along with all the other streaming services so we were able to get rid of the Roku and it's PoS remote

DanEON

My friend was one of these guys who says "I have an OLED for years and never had any burn in issue". He was always telling me to buy OLED and that I dont need to worry, etc....
So I told him to run an burn in test on his TV. I sent him the youtube test video. He replied me later on the day with a lot of pics of his TV. There were burn in on a lot of places. Most visible were gaming huds and netflix subtitles. He never noticed it, but now that he have seen it, he cant unsee. He now is not so sure if he will buy an OLED again. He has an LG B7.
I think most people are just like him. Keep saying OLED is the best but never did an burn in test.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

My friend was one of these guys who says "I have an OLED for years and never had any burn in issue". He was always telling me to buy OLED and that I dont need to worry, etc....
So I told him to run an burn in test on his TV. I sent him the youtube test video. He replied me later on the day with a lot of pics of his TV. There were burn in on a lot of places. Most visible were gaming huds and netflix subtitles. He never noticed it, but now that he have seen it, he cant unsee. He now is not so sure if he will buy an OLED again. He has an LG B7.
I think most people are just like him. Keep saying OLED is the best but never did an burn in test.
I didn't notice the burn in on my OLED till I went to the Nintendo eShop with that bright orange loading background, it was mostly hard to notice during normal use except when the screen was very bright... =(((

The burn in risk and diminishing brightness overtime is what's making me hold off till the LG C10/E10.

Last edited:
I have had 2 oled TV's with no problems. At worst I had some images retention. I also don't have the brightness at Max and I am not playing a game 4 hours straight. If you don't mind being a little mindful of your gaming the TV is hands down the best picture your going to find IMO.

Nightrunner

I have a B7 with some burn in on the bottom where the Netflix seekbar would be. The wife likes to check out lots of different shows and skip through them for some reason which is probably why it happened.

pesaddict

Banned
I went nice and early to richer sounds or what i thought was early enough🤬 turn up and it was packed ! Guy serving me told me there 3 E9's left is stock so hurried through the paper work for the interest free finance that took 20-25 mins after all that ohh all gone gotta wait upto a week ! Really want that free SkyQ for 18 months as well

Last edited:

wvnative

I got an E7, and it is pretty. But mad about Dim HDR game mode. I want the C9, but can't justify it. Nothing wrong with the TV I have, and I just paid it off.

Older i get the more impulsive I get. Gotta control myself.

Oh and dunno about the 9 series, but my E7 wasn't worth paying extra for the soundbar for. Just get a C and buy a separate soundbar.

Last edited:

Clarissa

Banned
C9 just arrived. =D

f9gYOSJ.jpg

Loving my Sony kd55af9

image quality is amazing and some of those 4K YouTube videos are like looking out of a window !!!!

mix up my watching with movies, sports and some gaming

picked it up on clearance, for Less than a 1/3 of its original price (no box, as the dude in the shop was chopping it up. To get it out on display for sale 😁🤣).

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Are you the real life grinch ?

It's revelatory as a technology isn't it?

I got a C7 about 2 years ago. Problem is I don't really play games or watch movies much anymore. 😂

That being said, when I maintained the projectors at my old job, the difference in OLED's superior contrast was unbelievable. And those were brand new £40 - £50k Barco digital cinema projectors where the xenon lamps were £480 MINIMUM (£870 our most expensive).

The fact we can get that level of picture for £1500 (what I paid) is exciting for whatever comes next.

Top Bottom