• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGaf OLED owners thread

Clarissa

Banned
N
So I take it you’re underwhelmed? I’m actually looking at that soundbar myself, mainly for the possibility of adding rear speakers. Then I’d be set and not care about whatever’s new for some years. I thought people really liked the ZF9.
Not underwhelmed. I like the ZF9.

But that's because I'm going from a free crappy soundbar to the Zf9 that's why it's a good upgrade.

And yes. If you're getting the zf9. Be sure to get the rear speakers!

If you want the best soundbar you can get right now, it's the Samsung Q90R.

Reactions: jts

Nethernova

Download the update from the website and you can use G-sync now if you have a 2000 series or a 1660 ti.

Unfortunately does not work on AU sets. First time ever an update has been region locked i think. Lots of people discussing this fact over at Whirlpool (local AU based forum)

jts

...hate me...
N
Not underwhelmed. I like the ZF9.

But that's because I'm going from a free crappy soundbar to the Zf9 that's why it's a good upgrade.

And yes. If you're getting the zf9. Be sure to get the rear speakers!

If you want the best soundbar you can get right now, it's the Samsung Q90R.
Alright, thanks for your opinion. I think will end up with the ZF9 due to price constraints and the ability of getting the rear speakers later.

Honestly I was eyeing the ST5000 the most this BF as it seems amazing by all accounts except for the lack of rear speakers whatsoever. What the hell Sony.

TIMSTER_777

So I take it you’re underwhelmed? I’m actually looking at that soundbar myself, mainly for the possibility of adding rear speakers. Then I’d be set and not care about whatever’s new for some years. I thought people really liked the ZF9.

Please stay away from soundbars, at least go with a 2.1 or even a 3.1 sound system. You won't regret it.

Tygeezy

I've had a c9 for a week and a half. I have issues with gsync flashing and my power supply has coil whine when displaying dark content. An lg tech is coming out tomorrow and will probably have to replace all three boards since the t con and mainboard are a set I believe.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

I love my x9000f man. Don't let it fool uou

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The OLED owners seem to be the same as the pc master race.
Hell yeah. F**k Samsung and it's crappy QLED. Terrible off angle viewing, haloing from local dimming (GROSS!!!) No Dolby Vision.

Samsung may very well have the last laugh if MicroLED lives up to it's promise.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I've had a c9 for a week and a half. I have issues with gsync flashing and my power supply has coil whine when displaying dark content. An lg tech is coming out tomorrow and will probably have to replace all three boards since the t con and mainboard are a set I believe.

I bought a 30ft HDMI cable that I was planning on running to my TV so I could enjoy PC gaming on my GSync, eventhough I was going to set the resolution down to 1440p so I could enjoy 120Hz GSync and it wouldn't display beyond 1080p, despite the cable being labelled as HDMI 2.0.

Skyr

I have a slight coil sound aswell on my new c9.. tho it’s only audible when the screen goes completely black and it’s not quite as annoying as in your video. It’s more like a slight rattle.
I had no issues with this on my c7. After a quick internet search, this seems to be a problem since the c8. Looks like LG has gone cheap on some components. I read a lot of reports that an exchange of the power supply didnt help much, so I won’t bother calling it in.

What bothers me more is your problem with gsync.. I have a Pascal card so I can’t test it for now. Would be really annoying to have that problem as soon as I get a compatible card.

Skyr

I bought a 30ft HDMI cable that I was planning on running to my TV so I could enjoy PC gaming on my GSync, eventhough I was going to set the resolution down to 1440p so I could enjoy 120Hz GSync and it wouldn't display beyond 1080p, despite the cable being labelled as HDMI 2.0.
I run a 33ft cable and tested it out yesterday. 1440p 120hz works for me. But it only worked when I plugged it in directly into the TV. When I tried first to go through my AV Receiver it didn’t work.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I run a 33ft cable and tested it out yesterday. 1440p 120hz works for me. But it only worked when I plugged it in directly into the TV. When I tried first to go through my AV Receiver it didn’t work.
I ordered this one from Monoprice (Amazon) that will hopefully work better.

Speaking of 1440p and 120Hz. Is there a way to set the nvidia control panel so that the native resolution of the OLED stays at 1440p, but I can use DSR to bump up the resolution internally without being forced to natively set the TV to 4K and be stuck on 60Hz? In otherwords, I would like some games to get rendered internally at above 1440p.

Tygeezy

I have a slight coil sound aswell on my new c9.. tho it’s only audible when the screen goes completely black and it’s not quite as annoying as in your video. It’s more like a slight rattle.
I had no issues with this on my c7. After a quick internet search, this seems to be a problem since the c8. Looks like LG has gone cheap on some components. I read a lot of reports that an exchange of the power supply didnt help much, so I won’t bother calling it in.

What bothers me more is your problem with gsync.. I have a Pascal card so I can’t test it for now. Would be really annoying to have that problem as soon as I get a compatible card.
It turns out it’s not my display, or gsync or my graphics card... It’s happening on amd graphics card, my GeForce 2070 super and my older gsync monitor with or without gsync on.

I’m doing a fresh install of Windows now to see if that solves it since the installation is a couple years old... Hopefully this resolves it.

As for my tv. They are going to replace the power supply when the part gets in. That should solve the coil whine.

Tygeezy

Is it a “certified premium” cable? It may be a lower bandwidth hdmi cable. You need a 18 gb cable to get higher resolutions and refresh rates.

Kanton

Sending back my 75 Qled, felt good at first but its just off to my personal taste, too intense contrast and colors. Its too bright for our dedicated TV room, the subtitles are extremely bright on Netflix 4k. Also found it a tad too big for gaming. I get my 65 C9 tomorrow. I have been a plasma fan and looks like OLED is the only way forward.

Glory has arrived in my home. I'm totally gonna need to work with the settings. I have no idea what to do with the settings so recommendations would be welcomed. A few notes:

How do I turn on screen savers when it's not in use? Is this automatic?

Also energy saver on or off?

Games look amazing in hdr, but regular videos on YouTube videos look dim and washed out

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Sending back my 75 Qled, felt good at first but its just off to my personal taste, too intense contrast and colors. Its too bright for our dedicated TV room, the subtitles are extremely bright on Netflix 4k. Also found it a tad too big for gaming. I get my 65 C9 tomorrow. I have been a plasma fan and looks like OLED is the only way forward.
Few posts have touched my heart the way this one has....

giphy.gif

How I feel about QLED.

DcZoLE.gif

Last edited:

David Lo-Pan

Neo Member
55" C8 owner here. I've played hours of WOW, Bloodstained, Days Gone, Dark Souls, and Skyrim. No burn it. The key is two switch up on the games every now and then. BTW, I keep each session at a 5-6 hours max.

Justin9mm

I went nice and early to richer sounds or what i thought was early enough🤬 turn up and it was packed ! Guy serving me told me there 3 E9's left is stock so hurried through the paper work for the interest free finance that took 20-25 mins after all that ohh all gone gotta wait upto a week ! Really want that free SkyQ for 18 months as well
Are you serious? That is a weird way of running retail stores in your country.

In Australia, you walk into a store, yes I have 3 left in stock, ok great, can i get finance? Why yes, let me just grab one of those for you and put it to the side while we go through the paperwork.

Unless there is already 3 people who said yes i'll grab one in some sort of line before me, this is how it works, if you somehow failed to get finance and can't pay for it outright then they just put it back and then it's available for the next person.

Clarissa

Banned
Glory has arrived in my home. I'm totally gonna need to work with the settings. I have no idea what to do with the settings so recommendations would be welcomed. A few notes:

How do I turn on screen savers when it's not in use? Is this automatic?

Also energy saver on or off?

Games look amazing in hdr, but regular videos on YouTube videos look dim and washed out
Energy saver off.

The screen savers are there to save your screen!!!! Like literally! You don't want to have any static images on your screen!

skneogaf

I ordered this one from Monoprice (Amazon) that will hopefully work better.

Speaking of 1440p and 120Hz. Is there a way to set the nvidia control panel so that the native resolution of the OLED stays at 1440p, but I can use DSR to bump up the resolution internally without being forced to natively set the TV to 4K and be stuck on 60Hz? In otherwords, I would like some games to get rendered internally at above 1440p.

Not that I know of but quite a few games have internal resolution scaling nowadays.

pesaddict

Banned
Are you serious? That is a weird way of running retail stores in your country.

In Australia, you walk into a store, yes I have 3 left in stock, ok great, can i get finance? Why yes, let me just grab one of those for you and put it to the side while we go through the paperwork.

Unless there is already 3 people who said yes i'll grab one in some sort of line before me, this is how it works, if you somehow failed to get finance and can't pay for it outright then they just put it back and then it's available for the next person.
Thats what i thought he had done was only until the end i has realized 😪🤬

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

DAMN that sucks man oof

Hey guys I still need some help. I mentioned this in the past, but I'm still having the same issue:

My C9 does not start screensavers after idle time. This happens to me on the PlayStation and when using regular apps. Can someone help me with this? Really trying to fight burn in

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Hey guys I still need some help. I mentioned this in the past, but I'm still having the same issue:

My C9 does not start screensavers after idle time. This happens to me on the PlayStation and when using regular apps. Can someone help me with this? Really trying to fight burn in
See what Vincent suggests. This is from 2017, but it should be valid

BlueAlpaca

I'm assuming from the praise here that stutter with 30/24fps content isn't a big deal? Cause this is the first thing keeping me from OLED.

Second is display age - is there any data on how many thousands of hours it takes before there's a decline in brightness/quality? Thanks in advance.

Ulysses 31

I'm assuming from the praise here that stutter with 30/24fps content isn't a big deal? Cause this is the first thing keeping me from OLED.

Second is display age - is there any data on how many thousands of hours it takes before there's a decline in brightness/quality? Thanks in advance.
LG said somewhere that after 100k hours, brightness is reduced 50% but that was before the HDR era. :lollipop_downcast_sweat::lollipop_downcast_sweat::lollipop_downcast_sweat:

Max_Po

Banned
I have an OLED c7 and on XboxOne X if the Set the resolution to 1080p I see an option for screen refresh of 120 hz.

Is that of any use to me? I mean most of the games are still at 30 fps or 60 fps... does 120 hz do anything good ?

Ulysses 31

I have an OLED c7 and on XboxOne X if the Set the resolution to 1080p I see an option for screen refresh of 120 hz.

Is that of any use to me? I mean most of the games are still at 30 fps or 60 fps... does 120 hz do anything good ?
Should be able to do 1440p with 120Hz on that C7. DF in their Sekiro PS4 Pro vs Xbox One X said that 120hz helped smooth out hitches with the unlocked framerate of that game, making it look smoother on Xbox One X even though fps was a little lower than PS4 Pro.

Gek54

I fired up my old Panasonic G25 the other day and noticed it seems to have much better motion resolution than my C9. The G25's 1080p 60fps looks way more realistic than 1440p 120hz VRR on the C9. BFI on the C9 gets it closer but the flickering the BFI causes is awful. I really wish Plasma survived into the HDR VRR era.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I fired up my old Panasonic G25 the other day and noticed it seems to have much better motion resolution than my C9. The G25's 1080p 60fps looks way more realistic than 1440p 120hz VRR on the C9. BFI on the C9 gets it closer but the flickering the BFI causes is awful. I really wish Plasma survived into the HDR VRR era.
STrange. I have been absolutely blown away by how good 1440p 120 Hz VRR looks on my C9.

Siri

Banned
My understanding is that Realtek is working on an HDMI 2.1 to DisplayPort adapter, meaning we’ll be able to run 4K at 120Hz - but I’m wondering if HDR will still work at 120Hz with such a converter? Alienware was unable to make it work, which is why I ask.

When I first fired up my C9 I was new to Oled and to HDR. The black levels were incredible - but I was expecting that. What I wasn’t expecting was how dramatic HDR can be. I’m now firmly in the camp that’s disappointed with new releases not having HDR support (I’m looking at you Outer Worlds).

No way am I giving up HDR. I’d take 60Hz HDR over 120Hz non-HDR any day.

Last edited:
Top Bottom