• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGaf OLED owners thread

Miles708

I know it's a weird question but: how does OLED perform (especially compared to a plasma TVs), on SDTV signal?
If I watch SD channels or play retroconsoles (Saturn, Dreamcast, PS2...) on a 4K OLED panel, how does it handle the signal? Has anyone compared it to a plasma panel, since those work pretty good with SD signals?

Now I don't know much about OLED TV's, but my OLED Vita has gotten burn marks on the screen with not much use while my VIta 2's screen which isn't OLED, is fine.

I'm assuming that burn marks are an issue for OLED TV's as well?

draw4wild

Just bought a 65inch E8 over the holidays. Was planning to buy the C9 but found a new E8 for about $200 cheaper. Can't wait to set the Pro up to it for RDR2. Although, I'm secretly looking more forward to Cuphead on the regular Xbox1

JLB

Banned
Got a C7 and now a C9.
Ever since I owned an oled. I only use the TV in a dark room environment. Esp when watching hdr or dolby vision content.

Even watching sdr content in a dark room is so good.
indeed. i have a c7 and plan to get the latest lg oled by series x time. 2020 will be ossom

Woffls

C7 for two years and no sign of burn in at all. I use it for gaming all the time but play a variety of games and the brightness is usually 60-80%.

It's pretty difficult looking at other TVs now; input lag and backlights kinda kill it for me. I don't think I could go back to LCD... maybe CRT :unsure:

Last edited:

n0razi

I've had a c9 for a week and a half. I have issues with gsync flashing and my power supply has coil whine when displaying dark content. An lg tech is coming out tomorrow and will probably have to replace all three boards since the t con and mainboard are a set I believe.

Try a different HDMi cable... I had similar problems with a cheapo Amazon HDMI cable (2.0 certified) and switched to a much more expensive brand (Fusion) and it cleared it up... I think the higher bandwidth required for HDR/Gsync requires premium quality cables.

n0razi

I know it's a weird question but: how does OLED perform (especially compared to a plasma TVs), on SDTV signal?
If I watch SD channels or play retroconsoles (Saturn, Dreamcast, PS2...) on a 4K OLED panel, how does it handle the signal? Has anyone compared it to a plasma panel, since those work pretty good with SD signals?

Upscaling SD quality has almost nothing to do with the panel (Plasma vs OLED vs LCD etc) and everything to do with the scaler hardware used. Most newer model TVs regardless of whether it is OLED or not will have a better scaler chip vs an on older model. If you use an external console to stream media (PS4, Xbox, AppleTV, Roku, etc).... you can bypass the TV scaler entirely. Something like the nvidia Shield with 4K AI Upscaling will give you the best quality.

Now I don't know much about OLED TV's, but my OLED Vita has gotten burn marks on the screen with not much use while my VIta 2's screen which isn't OLED, is fine.

Are you talking about the "black smear" that is present on most OLED Vitas? That is not actually burn in but a characteristic of the early panel that Sony used. They don;t switch off the black pixels but leave them at 0.1% brightness because that boosts the response rate; in turn you get the black smear. Burn in is when you can see actual words or graphics burned in from have a static image on too long.

Last edited:
Upscaling SD quality has almost nothing to do with the panel (Plasma vs OLED vs LCD etc) and everything to do with the scaler hardware used. Most newer model TVs regardless of whether it is OLED or not will have a better scaler chip vs an on older model. If you use an external console to stream media (PS4, Xbox, AppleTV, Roku, etc).... you can bypass the TV scaler entirely. Something like the nvidia Shield with 4K AI Upscaling will give you the best quality.

Are you talking about the "black smear" that is present on most OLED Vitas? That is not actually burn in but a characteristic of the early panel that Sony used. They don;t switch off the black pixels but leave them at 0.1% brightness because that boosts the response rate; in turn you get the black smear. Burn in is when you can see actual words or graphics burned in from have a static image on too long.

Uh no, I'm talking about burn in.

Fushitsusha

Banned
Uh no, I'm talking about burn in.
Burn in can be an issue still, sure. It depends on the settings, usage and maintenance. For example, if you have OLED light at 100, no pixel orbiter on, don't let the TV use it's panel cleaning function while in standby, you are way more suspectible to BI. Anyone that would state otherwise is delusional.

It's overblown though. You are likely to get image retention more than permanent burn in. Real talk. Don't listen to extreme fanboys on either sides having to defend their precious new product.

Last edited:
Burn in can be an issue still, sure. It depends on the settings, usage and maintenance. For example, if you have OLED light at 100, no pixel orbiter on, don't let the TV use it's panel cleaning function while in standby, you are way more suspectible to BI. Anyone that would state otherwise is delusional.

It's overblown though. You are likely to get image retention more than permanent burn in. Real talk. Don't listen to extreme fanboys on either sides having to defend their precious new product.

My issue is that I've been hearing about the same problems involving OLED for years and it seems like not one manufacturer has come up with a fix or at least a bandaid to treat them. You would think by now OLED would be a lot more reliable then it was over 10 years ago.

Miles708

Interesting, thanks!
Does a specific *exist* somewhere, regarding the scaler used for a TV model? Is it a parameter usually listed somewhere?
In other words, is it possible to have any info about the scaler performance for a TV?

Is there any truth behind the rumor that the burn-in for OLEDs accumulates over time?

Miles708

That's the nature of self-emitting displays currently.
I'm asking because i'm trying to understand if OLED works like a plasma screen, where chaning the displayed image type usually prevents the burn-in, or if it slows down the natural burn-in of the display that will happen anyway with time.

Fushitsusha

Banned
I'm asking because i'm trying to understand if OLED works like a plasma screen, where chaning the displayed image type usually prevents the burn-in, or if it slows down the natural burn-in of the display that will happen anyway with time.
It helps against burn in but not pixel degradation. Which could be considered a case of burn in though.

Last edited:

n0razi

Interesting, thanks!
Does a specific *exist* somewhere, regarding the scaler used for a TV model? Is it a parameter usually listed somewhere?
In other words, is it possible to have any info about the scaler performance for a TV?

rtings.com reviews test for scaling quality, its usually listed under 1080p or SD quality

Is there any truth behind the rumor that the burn-in for OLEDs accumulates over time?

ALL OLEDS will eventually burn (as will Plasma and any other emissive technology)... but we are talking 10+ or 15+ years under normal usage

Ulysses 31

My issue is that I've been hearing about the same problems involving OLED for years and it seems like not one manufacturer has come up with a fix or at least a bandaid to treat them. You would think by now OLED would be a lot more reliable then it was over 10 years ago.
In the video I posted earlier it's mentioned that the problem is the blue emitters and that no one so far has a solution to it. Unless someone can solve that issue, OLED is pretty much at its end development wise.

Last edited:

Tygeezy

Try a different HDMi cable... I had similar problems with a cheapo Amazon HDMI cable (2.0 certified) and switched to a much more expensive brand (Fusion) and it cleared it up... I think the higher bandwidth required for HDR/Gsync requires premium quality cables.
I've tried two different premium certified HDMI cables from monoprice. It's definitely not the cables and im far from the only one with this issue with the c9. I've been in discussion with LG and they acknowledge this issue and have a firmware update scheduled to come out on the 10th of this month that is suppose to address it.

Last edited:

holygeesus

Banned

OLED technology has come a massive way in the last ten years. For starters LG improved their stated lifespan for OLED from 35,000 to 100,000 hours - and this was back in 2016, and discounts recent developments.

For comparison the half-life for the backlight in LCD TVs is typically rated at around 60-70,000 hours.

As someone wisely said above, don't listen to either extremes when it comes to fans or critics of the tech. No matter what TV you buy, you have to contend with issues e.g. no matter how good the LCD you buy, you are going to have to deal with blooming, as well as dirty-screen effect et al, while OLED does require slight babying to prevent the possibility of burn-in and there is also vertical banding issues with that tech too. You have to decide which foibles you can live with.

I say that as an owner of two OLEDs -a B6, still going strong from 2016 and an AF9. Both have been gamed on heavily and have zero burn-in. Personally, I wouldn't recommend one to someone who was going to play the same game for thousands of hours eg multiplayer games such as Rocket League, but for those of us who put hundreds of hours into games at most, burn-in is not an issue for gamers.

OLED technology has come a massive way in the last ten years. For starters LG improved their stated lifespan for OLED from 35,000 to 100,000 hours - and this was back in 2016, and discounts recent developments.

For comparison the half-life for the backlight in LCD TVs is typically rated at around 60-70,000 hours.

As someone wisely said above, don't listen to either extremes when it comes to fans or critics of the tech. No matter what TV you buy, you have to contend with issues e.g. no matter how good the LCD you buy, you are going to have to deal with blooming, as well as dirty-screen effect et al, while OLED does require slight babying to prevent the possibility of burn-in and there is also vertical banding issues with that tech too. You have to decide which foibles you can live with.

I say that as an owner of two OLEDs -a B6, still going strong from 2016 and an AF9. Both have been gamed on heavily and have zero burn-in. Personally, I wouldn't recommend one to someone who was going to play the same game for thousands of hours eg multiplayer games such as Rocket League, but for those of us who put hundreds of hours into games at most, burn-in is not an issue for gamers.

That improvement doesn't fix the problems mentioned before though, the same issues that have plagued OLED for over 10 years and not a small sparkle of improvement has been made in those areas. Not even a new evolution of OLED that's different in technology, we are using the same tech with the same flaws, just it won't happen as fast as before?

There needs to be a shakeup in TV's honestly.

Ulysses 31

That improvement doesn't fix the problems mentioned before though, the same issues that have plagued OLED for over 10 years and not a small sparkle of improvement has been made in those areas. Not even a new evolution of OLED that's different in technology, we are using the same tech with the same flaws, just it won't happen as fast as before?

Micro LED, just gotta wait a while before they drop below 5 figure prices. :p :p :p

It's unlikely the blue emitter issue with OLEDs will be solved with Micro LEDs becoming more available the coming years.

Last edited:

dolabla

This place posted an update earlier and are saying the 48" OLED will indeed fall in the C series (CX).

Following our first publication on the Oled LG 2020 TV range (see our news (UPDATE) CES 20> Oled Ultra HD 4K TV range 2020: LG BX, LG CX, LG EX, LG GX and LG WX ) , we now know a little more about the diagonals that will be available for each series.

Google Translate version:

Last edited:

holygeesus

Banned

It depends what you mean by plagued I guess. I have a 4 year old OLED still working fine, and a more recent model doing likewise. Both calibrated, and neither showing any issues with burn-in or this mystical blue emitter problem. The last report I read on said issue, said that while blue emitters do burn out at a faster rate, they still have a lifespan of 50,000 hours, which seems fair enough to me.

If you want a TV to last 5 years, then an OLED is a good bet, if you want one that lasts longer, well, even LCD backlights have a shorter estimated lifespan than that, so by that criteria, no modern TV is worth buying.

Last edited:

I, too, have the original OLED Vita. That OLED tech in the Vita is an older technology than the newer 2017 - current OLED tech. Burn-in is not much of a problem in today's OLED. I have a 65C7 LG OLED TV, and it's fantastic. I still have my 2009 Panasonic Plasma 65" TV that I still game on. With the plasma TV, my Dreamcast and PS3 games look and play fantastically. I've never experience any input lag on my 2009 Plasma while playing Battlefield 3 on the PS3, and BF4 on the PS4.

dolabla

Vizio is introducing its first OLED at CES. Will come in 55" and 65" sizes. HDMI 2.1 will also be on their OLED and non OLED sets.

The star of the show, though is Vizio’s first-ever OLED models. Coming in at 55- or 65-inches, these new sets use the company’s new IQ Ultra processor to power its self-emitting pixels to get the best true blacks, color, contrast, and clarity. The 4mm display allows the television to fit into almost any room easily.

If you’re a console gamer (specifically Playstation 4 or Xbox One X), Vizio has introduced its ProGaming Engine that is meant to improve gaming performance. The engine takes advantage of variable refresh rates, AMD FreeSync, and resolutions up to 4K at 120Hz to create a gaming experience that most should enjoy. The ProGaming Engine will automatically turn on in all of Vizio’s 2020 TVs (other than the V-Series) when it detects console gameplay.

Unfortunately, Vizio was unable to provide us with pricing or availability for its upcoming televisions. The company states that more information will be available closer to the product’s launch—whenever that might be.

dolabla

Finally ready to get an OLED. The 48" OLED has officially arrived! It will be the CX model. First picture:

ENnnlINUYAAEc21.jpg:large

For 2020, while offering new versions of the two popular 4K UHD series (models CX, BX) in 77-, 65- and 55-inch class sizes, LG is also bringing the unparalleled picture quality of LG OLED TV to an all-new screen size – 48-inch. This 4K UHD unit (model OLED48CX) reproduces even sharper picture quality with 8 million-plus pixels on the 48-inch screen, density comparable to that of a 96-inch 8K TV.

Also the others announced.

ZX series (77- and 88-inch): This year's other OLED for profligate wastrels -- the one with 8K resolution -- comes in two massive sizes. You won't be able to afford either one.

WX series (65- and 77-inch): The superthin "wallpaper" OLED TV is not 8K, but given that the 2019 models start at six grand, it's not affordable either.

GX series (55-, 65- and 77-inch): The kinda-more-mainstream models start here with an all-new design twist. The chassis of the "Gallery" GX is ultrathin, just 20mm in depth and comes with a proprietary mount that lets it hug the wall. It's also the cheapest with a far-field mic.

CX series (48-, 55-, 65- and 77-inch): The workhorse of the 2020 lineup is the only one to include that 48-inch size and will, if previous years are any indication, cost significantly less than the GX and just a hair more than the BX.

BX series (55-, 65- and 77-inch): For the last two years, LG's entry-level OLEDs like the B9 have garnered my highest praise by delivering basically-just-as-good picture quality (despite their step-down processors) for less. The BX has all of the features of the CX aside from that Gen 3 processor.

Tygeezy

New drivers came out from Nvidia today but I’m still having issues with my C9 having random flashes with gsync compatibility on.

Clarissa

Banned
I wanna ask if you all are using HGIG Dynamic Tone Mapping or just normal Dynamic Tone Mapping?

I was watching a replay of myself playing Gran Turismo Sport.

And I switched between HGIG and Dynamic Tone Mapping off and could see ZERO difference....

Ulysses 31

I wanna ask if you all are using HGIG Dynamic Tone Mapping or just normal Dynamic Tone Mapping?

And I switched between HGIG and Dynamic Tone Mapping off and could see ZERO difference....
Are there any HDR games that support HGIG at this time?

Tygeezy

Hgig is only available for the game mode picture setting. If your device supports auto low latency mode you can use any picture mode and it will have low latency. I personally don't use it because no game currently supports hgig as far as im aware.

Venuspower

Are there any HDR games that support HGIG at this time?

CoD Modern Warfare (2019) is the only game that supports HGiG at the moment.
This has been confirmed by a Dev on Twitter.
But that is pretty much it. I am not aware of any other game that supports it.

While HGiG has an impact on the Tone Mapping of TLOU:R, Uncharted (this only applies to a few games, most others etc. it does not add any benefit to the picture). Instead you are losing much more details in bright scenes (this only applies to a few games, on most other games HGiG does not have any impact at all). Which is why it is recommended to leave HGiG off for every game that does not support HGiG.

Last edited:

subsmoke

I have a ten year old TV as well and I'm thinking about getting an OLED one day when I need a new one because of how good the black levels are. I've never liked the backlight in LCDs that brightens up the screen even when it's supposed to be dark. The only downside to OLED for me is how huge they are. My current TV is 32 inch and I wouldn't want to go much bigger than 40.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I have a ten year old TV as well and I'm thinking about getting an OLED one day when I need a new one because of how good the black levels are. I've never liked the backlight in LCDs that brightens up the screen even when it's supposed to be dark. The only downside to OLED for me is how huge they are. My current TV is 32 inch and I wouldn't want to go much bigger than 40.
I have to know why you won't go bigger than 40 inch lol.

mitchman

Gold Member
- OLEDs are susceptible to image retention and burn-in.
- OLEDs have glossier surfaces.
+ OLEDs have better view angles.
Glossier depends on the TV, I've had both. OLED also has perfect black levels, infinite contrast levels and no blooming.

mitchman

Gold Member
New drivers came out from Nvidia today but I’m still having issues with my C9 having random flashes with gsync compatibility on.

This seems to be issues with some games and not the TV itself, I see the same in some games with my uw monitor while not in others, and only in some parts of the games and not in others.

holygeesus

Banned
Glossier depends on the TV, I've had both. OLED also has perfect black levels, infinite contrast levels and no blooming.

I'd also add that I find dirty screen effect terribly distracting on LCDs. People fret about the small possibility of getting burn-in on an OLED and seemingly ignore DSE which I've seen in literally all LCD TVs I've encountered, to varying degrees. Even top end QLEDs. Far worse a problem, and one that can't be avoided, unlike burn-in.

All TVs have their pros and cons though for sure.

Ulysses 31

I'd also add that I find dirty screen effect terribly distracting on LCDs. People fret about the small possibility of getting burn-in on an OLED and seemingly ignore DSE which I've seen in literally all LCD TVs I've encountered, to varying degrees. Even top end QLEDs. Far worse a problem, and one that can't be avoided, unlike burn-in.

All TVs have their pros and cons though for sure.
OLEDs are not immune to dirty screen effect. It's panel lottery.

Last edited:

Tygeezy

This seems to be issues with some games and not the TV itself, I see the same in some games with my uw monitor while not in others, and only in some parts of the games and not in others.
This happens in every game for me as long as gsync is on. This isn’t normal and is definitely an issue with the tv. No idea if a firmware will solve it, but hopefully.

Ulysses 31

People need to quit assuming that this guy is gospel.

OLED will be around for a long while, as LG is currently opening up it's 2nd assembly line.
I don't take him at his word, he cites his sources.

LG Display has financial problems, OLED appears to have bad yields and production problems leading to delay its Guangzhou plant. Their Paju facility is also getting hit with production delays.

I plan to be an OLED owner this 2020 Holiday season with black Friday sale. is there such thing as:

Micro-OLED and Q-OLED ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom