• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGaf OLED owners thread

USMC43

Banned
My 2019 LG C8 has extreme burn-in on the lower portion of the screen, not even a year old. Have been in touch with LG, (they only offer 1 year warranty - which is insane) but they indicate they will repair it, which is relieving.

Max_Po

Banned
I'm an oled owner that got burn in right in the middle of the fucking TV.

Same issue with mine mid last year ..c7 55 inch.

A rectangle ...very visible in purple and red. I am in Canada and I begged them to check with USA team for resetting lookup table ... but they thought that I have lost my marbles. They replaced the panel but now I am worried and only use it for gaming.

Bought a TCL for baby.

I got burn-in on my C7, but luckily I had the Best Buy warranty. They said they didn't have the part to fix it, so they just exchanged my TV with the C9. Now I have HDMI 2.1 and VRR so I kind of got a good deal out of it.

holygeesus

Banned
Don't see why. Many of us have had zero problems, and I've owned two different sets now. No burn-in on my LG B6 or Sony AF9 and both were gamed on heavily. At the end of the day, it is a TV not a baby, just a piece of electronics - buy a warranty that covers burn-in if you are that concerned.

Ywap

I just bought a LG 55B9 and the motion handling at 60hz with Black frame insertion is incredible. And those blacks.....

Had a plasma before this one so i´m used to be careful regarding burn in.

Ulysses 31

What do you guys think re this news? Is this guy on the money?

It's a fact that LG Electronics filed a patent stating that burn-in is an issue with OLED and that OLED tech wise is practically at it's limit unless they can come up with a stable, long lasting blue emitter. So them starting to focus on microled doesn't seem like a stretch.

Also, LG Display is broke, made little money and is having bad production yields and delays and don't have an answer for those who prefer bigger and brighter TVs over quality.

dDoc

Burn in is defo an issue, a friend of mine got it from playing fifa. He also watches movies/series on it so guess he had some variety. Also apparently OLED has a short life span. The 2 things keeping me from getting one. With the recent showings of miniLED and dualled seems LCD has more future proofing than OLED does.

dDoc

LG themselves admitted burn in (might as well throw in image retention as well at this stage) is a problem...

Hellgardia

I'm getting either the B9 or BX for gaming later on. Do you think burn-in is a real concern if i only use it for gaming? (mainly 2-3 hours a day max)

Same issue with mine mid last year ..c7 55 inch.

A rectangle ...very visible in purple and red. I am in Canada and I begged them to check with USA team for resetting lookup table ... but they thought that I have lost my marbles. They replaced the panel but now I am worried and only use it for gaming.

Bought a TCL for baby.
Do they replace the panel even if past the warranty period? LG should include some burn in protect plan to ease people's concerns about it. It's very noticeable and it sucks.

Hellgardia

It will probably be Doom Eternal when it launches but it apparently has a no HUD mode so i'll just turn it off i guess.
Regarding the other games, i'll probably just switch off the TV from time to time mid-session.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

It will probably be Doom Eternal when it launches but it apparently has a no HUD mode so i'll just turn it off i guess.
Regarding the other games, i'll probably just switch off the TV from time to time mid-session.

Thanks!
Unfortunately, burn-in builds up over time, doesn't matter if you turn off the tv after a 10 hour session or had 5x 2 hour sessions.

Last edited:

Skyr

I'm getting either the B9 or BX for gaming later on. Do you think burn-in is a real concern if i only use it for gaming? (mainly 2-3 hours a day max)
Unless you play a specific game with static elements for thousands of hours, forget about burn in.. you’re fine.

Watch this video to see what it actually takes for burn in to appear.

Last edited:

dotnotbot

Unfortunately, burn-in builds up over time, doesn't matter if you turn off the tv after a 10 hour or 2 hour session.

It matters a bit because tv will do its pixel refreshing, so it will have a chance to compensate every minor degradation.

Static elements are fine as long as they aren't intensive colors or very bright and even then, it's a matter of hundreds or thousands of hours if they will be permanently burned-in.

Last edited:
I wonder how the pc monitor market will react to lg new gaming TVs with G-Sync and 120 hz. I think gaming monitors are so overpriced. I got a cool ultrawide monitor gsync 120 hz but I'm considering ditching it for the CX 48'. I won't be able to play above 120 fps next gen anyway...

Bankai

Can anyone post a photo of their OLED burn-in?

Spoiler

Last edited:

Skyr

I wonder how the pc monitor market will react to lg new gaming TVs with G-Sync and 120 hz. I think gaming monitors are so overpriced. I got a cool ultrawide monitor gsync 120 hz but I'm considering ditching it for the CX 48'. I won't be able to play above 120 fps next gen anyway...
I am not afraid of burn by all means but even I would be very hesitant to utilize the CX 48 as a PC Monitor due to Windows/Chrome static elements.
It would only work as a second monitor but I don't have the room for that. You have to wonder how cases of burn in will ramp up due to more people using it as a monitor.

Ulysses 31

Spoiler
AVforum has plenty :p

My OLED has the Dark Souls 1 flask and buff from ring of favor and protection burnt in as well as the hyrule warriors hearts bar. :p :p :p

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

Spoiler
75530955c45dca76ba81.jpg

fucking burn in man.
never oled for me again

Nydus

Gold Member
I am not afraid of burn by all means but even I would be very hesitant to utilize the CX 48 as a PC Monitor due to Windows/Chrome static elements.
It would only work as a second monitor but I don't have the room for that. You have to wonder how cases of burn in will ramp up due to more people using it as a monitor.
To be honest if I can afford an 48" 4k 120hz OLED Monitor for gaming with the hardware to drive it I can afford to buy a new one after 5 years if it develops burn in.

Which is exactly my keikaku if it's under 2k and not too big as a monitor :D

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
To be honest if I can afford an 48" 4k 120hz OLED Monitor for gaming with the hardware to drive it I can afford to buy a new one after 5 years if it develops burn in.

Which is exactly my keikaku if it's under 2k and not too big as a monitor :D
48 inch is WAY to big for a monitor tho.

i would prefer 32 inch oled.. that would be a day 1 buy for me.
i have this idea that my next monitor will be that,

i currenty run my pc on a predator xp something. IPS 21:9 3440x1440 @120hz + gsync. basically the bees knees.
but everytime i turn on my oled. I think the predator looks like shite.

don't get oled tho! BURN IN!!

Last edited:

dDoc

Burn in or image retention are valid concerns. Cause it hasnt happened to you (maybe yet) doesnt mean its non existent.

I get it OLED blacks are amazing, but it also has drawbacks.

Does anyone know if the flicker from bob-deinterlacing is harmful to OLED TVs? I have a RetroTink 2x and an OSSC that can cause temporary image retention on my Dell IPS monitor when using bob-deinterlacing with 480i signals, so I am scared to try them on my OLED in case they cause permanent damage.

Max_Po

Banned
Do they replace the panel even if past the warranty period? LG should include some burn in protect plan to ease people's concerns about it. It's very noticeable and it sucks.

In USA, where the Customer Support is more informed, they do replace the panel for 5 years as with C7 there was a manufacturing defect identified. in Canada... NOTHING... although the warranty is 2 years for burn in.

I hope the OLED technology improves, Burn in sucks !!

In USA, where the Customer Support is more informed, they do replace the panel for 5 years as with C7 there was a manufacturing defect identified. in Canada... NOTHING... although the warranty is 2 years for burn in.

I hope the OLED technology improves, Burn in sucks !!
Thanks I'll call customer service today!

Nydus

Gold Member
48 inch is WAY to big for a monitor tho.

i would prefer 32 inch oled.. that would be a day 1 buy for me.
i have this idea that my next monitor will be that,

i currenty run my pc on a predator xp something. IPS 21:9 3440x1440 @120hz + gsync. basically the bees knees.
but everytime i turn on my oled. I think the predator looks like shite.

don't get oled tho! BURN IN!!

yeah i would also prefer an 32" but we wont get those till microLED is here cause i heard those a produced in 32" modules to build bigger screens. But thats a big maybe and i dont really know if its this how it will work.

My plan atm is to buy the new 3080Ti (if its sub 1k) and then the 48" OLED (but not if its 2k like rumored lol). 2080Ti is too weak to drive 4k120Hz so no reason to buy the OLED before that.
but i share your sentiment. i have an 32" LG Monitor. But those are all VA and its kinda shitty that my OLED TV sits 2m next to it so the picture difference is quite staggering. (i learned to hate VA...)

Last edited:
Im thinking of buying a 48CX to remplace my Sony X90e, 4K120hz, HDMI 2.1 , Gsync support, its a dream coming true... But at what price ? I can pay max 1500€ for a TV...

Aidah

I have joined the club with a C9. It will arrive in a few days. Coming from a 10 year old Plasma. I've had OLED tablets and phones, but this the first TV.

By the way, was the burn in issue as overblown about Plasma TVs back in 2010?

holygeesus

Banned
Burn in or image retention are valid concerns. Cause it hasnt happened to you (maybe yet) doesnt mean its non existent.

I get it OLED blacks are amazing, but it also has drawbacks.

Like literally all television technology out there. The amount of FUD surrounding OLED is bizarre. And it is always non-owners who seem to think they are experts, in my experience.

I've owned 2 over the last 4 years, gamed on both extensively, and have literally zero burn in on both, which are still going strong. If you are going to game for thousands of hours on the same game, sure, consider it carefully, or if you are leaving your TV on all day for your dog (!) maybe buy the pooch a cheaper set, but for the majority of users, OLED tech is no more fragile than any other, and is certainly more resilient than plasma (I know because I did get burn in on my last plasma!)

I have joined the club with a C9. It will arrive in a few days. Coming from a 10 year old Plasma. I've had OLED tablets and phones, but this the first TV.

By the way, was the burn in issue as overblown about Plasma TVs back in 2010?

I still have my 2009 Panasonic 65" Plasma TV. Have a regular PS4 hooked up to it. My LG 65C7 OLED has no burn-in for the past 2 years. I don't game on it, and just watch 4K movies on it. It's the best TV I've ever owned, and am now looking forward to getting a 100"+ OLED TV whenever the price is low enough for the masses.

Liking my LG 77C9 so far.
Prime video app is slow and buggy.

Had to connect my hdmi cables to the TV and only hdmi eARC from TV to AVR.

My Onkyo AVR was too slow and unreliable in detecting changed resolutions and signals.😤

Top Bottom