• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Top Anime OST - Voting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
LFRTLiC.jpg

This is a thread dedicated to voting for the best soundtracks in anime. This covers all years so if there is an OST from 1974 that you want to vote for, then you're in the right place. In addition, there'll be voting on the best composers and songs in anime. As far as I'm aware, the forum has never done this before so bare with me if there any hiccups.

Categories:

Best Anime OST of All Time- Top Fifteen
Best Anime Composer - Top Three
Best Anime Song - Top Three

Eligibility:

Anything goes in terms of OVAs/Movies/Shorts/TV Series. There is no restriction in terms of airing date. To note, this voting process does not include Western produced works or shows where the primary airing audience is Western, so Avatar and Korra are out. So it just has to be an anime.

For the composer section, the individual has to have composed for an anime. Similar restriction on the best song category in that the song has to have been in an anime.

Rules:

1) Every poster has the option to make a maximum of three separate lists, one for each category.

2) There is no minimum requirement for any of the three lists and there is no obligation to vote in all three categories.

3) For every list in the "Best Anime OST of All Time" category, a number of points for each nomination will be determined by the total number of nominations in that specific list. For example if a list has 15 nominations then their number 1 pick will receive 15 points. However if a list has 7 nominations then for that individual, their number 1 pick will receive only 7 points.

4) Rule 2 does not apply to the "Best Composer" and "Best Song" category. Instead the 1st pick receives a value of 3 points, the 2nd pick a value of 2 points, and the 3rd pick a value of 1 point.

5) You can vote for a franchise instead of a particular work inside that franchise. For example, you can have a nomination be "Ghost in the Shell Franchise" instead of specifying the OVAs or TV series. When tallying the votes up that, that vote would go towards the franchise rather than a particular work. Vice-versa, you can specify your vote to only include a particular work inside a franchise. On the results page, there will be a breakdown of votes going towards specified works inside a franchise.

6) Lists without a numbering system will be taken at face value and ranked in descending order starting with 1 at the top.

7) Lists are open to editing until the deadline passes.

8) Do not write names in Kanji or Hiragana.

Deadline:

-Voting will end on 00:00 UTC April 26th, 2015.

UPDATE: Extended till 3 AM EST on May 24,2015

Voting Template:

-Best Anime OST of All Time
1. Franchise A: Opinion on Franchise A.
2. Franchise B: Opinion on Franchise B.
3. Franchise C: Opinion on Franchise C.
4. Franchise D: Opinion on Franchise D.
5. Franchise E: Opinion on Franchise E.
6. Franchise F: Opinion on Franchise F.
7. Franchise G: Opinion on Franchise G.
8. Franchise H: Opinion on Franchise H.
9. Franchise I: Opinion on Franchise I.
10. Franchise J: Opinion on Franchise J.
11. Franchise K: Opinion on Franchise K.
12. Franchise L: Opinion on Franchise L.
13. Franchise M: Opinion on Franchise M.
14. Franchise N: Opinion on Franchise N.
15. Franchise O: Opinion on Franchise O.

-Best Composer
1. Composer A: Your opinion on Composer A.
2. Composer B: Your opinion on Composer B.
3. Composer C: Your opinion on Composer C.

-Best Song
1. Song A: Your opinion on Song A.
2. Song B: Your opinion on Song B.
3. Song C: Your opinion on Song C.

General Comments:

1) For names of shows, try to use the name found in Wikipedia or a streaming service. Do not use abbreviations or nicknames for clarity purposes.

2) Discussion is highly encouraged. If there is a song you want to link to, please do so although by aware of the possibility of errors or dead videos due to things such as copyright claims. This whole process is meant to be informative and examples go a long way in being persuasive.

3) "Honorable Mentions" subsections are allowed but they need to be clearly noted and separated.

4) For Opening and Ending songs, I would say not to consider them as part of the OST unless they are used as a lead-in, lead-out (such as Roundabout with JoJo's Bizarre Adventure), or as an insert song. Obviously there is no hard rule prohibiting this though. If there is a theme song that you would like to highlight or note, please put that into the "Best Song" category.

5) Please specify if you want a vote going towards a specific work such as "Gundam Unicorn" otherwise entries left in the format "Mobile Suit Gundam" will be interpreted as franchise votes.

6) My best advice for finding and listening to an old OST would be simply searching Youtube.

Starter List:

Please note that I am not inherently recommending these works but rather due to how many works and years this voting process covers, I am supplying this list for people as either a refresher or general jumping-in point. I am sure there are soundtracks that are just as good if not better than some of the names provided below.

.hack//Sign
Akira
Aria
Arjuna
Armored Trooper Votoms
Baccano
Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad
Berserk
Big O
Cencoroll
Clannad
Code Geass
Cowboy Bebop
Darker than Black
Death Note
Dennou Coil
Eden of the East
Eureka 7
Fate/Stay Night
Fate/Zero
Fooly Cooly
Full Metal Panic
Fullmetal Alchemist
Brotherhood​
Ghost in the Shell
Film
Stand Alone Complex​
Giant Robo
Guilty Crown
Hellsing
TV
Ultimate​
K-On!
Kiki’s Delivery Service
Kimagure Orange Road
Lupin the Third
Macross
Superdimensional Fortress Macross
Macross Frontier​
Madoka Magica
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Michiko to Hatchin
Mobile Suit Gundam
Turn A Gundam
Gundam Unicorn​
Mushishi
My Neighbor Totoro
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Nodame Cantabile
Noein
Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt
Paprika
Paranoia Agent
Ping Pong
Porco Rosse
Princess Mononoke
Princess Tutu
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Samurai Champloo
Shiki
Soul Eater
Space Dandy
Spirited Away
Star Driver
Sword of the Stranger
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Terror in Resonance
The iDOLM@ster
Trigun
Vision of Escaflowne
Whisper of the Heart
Wolf’s Rain

OST
1. Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo
2. FLCL

Composer

1. Itou Masumi
2. Shiro Sagisu

Song

1. Uhhh, the Trails in The Sky OVA version of Silver Will, sorry can't find it anywhere
2. Ringo Mogire Beam
3. Odoru Akachan Ningen

massoluk

Banned
Oh man, my list is going to be so fanboyish, I wasn't really exposed to many genres of animes.

1. Macross 7
2. Sousei no Aquarion
3. Macross Do You Remember Love
4. Super Dimensional Fortress Macross
5. The Vision of Escaflowne
6. Future GPX Cyber Formula SAGA
7. Macross 7 Dynamite
8. Sengoku Basara
9. Eureka 7
10. Sword Art Online
11. Gurren Lagann
12. Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
13. Gundam Unicorn
14. Turn A Gundam.
15. Princess Mononoke

-Best Composer
1. Yoko Kanno
2. Hiroyuki Sawano
3. Kentarō Haneda

-Best Song
1. Sousei no Aquarion: From Sousei no Aquarion
2. Do You Remember Love: From Macross Do You Remember Love
3. Unicorn: from Gundam Unicorn, it's a coincidence that my top 3 favorite songs have the same names as the shows, I swear.

It might look weird that Macross 7 won anime ost but nothing go on best composer and song :p

Dio

Banned
The 5th one is the only one you need to watch anyway.
Wrong. All of them are worth watching. That said, I agree that if you don't wanna watch all of the movies you should watch 5.

That said, it's not really too complicated. There's seven movies that are essentially 'episodes' intentionally chronologically mixed up. They're not as long as you'd think - they vary and some are not that much longer than a normal anime episode. The other KnK related episodes are 'after stories' which take place after the movies.

Best Anime OST of All Time
1. Clannad
2. Kanon 2006
3. ef
4. Aria
5. Puella Magi Madoka Magica
6. Neon Genesis Evangelion franchise
7. K-On!
8. Love Live!
9. Haruhi Suzumiya franchise
10. Gurren Lagann
11. 5 Centimeters per Second
12. Chobits
13. Angel Beats
14. The Garden of Words
15. The Idolmaster

Best songs
1. Clannad - Nagisa
2. Kanon - Kaze No Tadoritsuku Basho
3. Chobits - Let Me Be With You

Best OST

1. FLCL. All tracks done by one artist (The Pillows) but it really helps make the series as great as it is. My personal favorite right now.
2. Cowboy Bebop. No shit, right?
3. Samurai Champloo. Also no shit, right?
4. Ping Pong the Animation - Probably deserves to be higher honestly
5. Gundam Build Fighters. Thank you based Meijin ;_;
6. Bleach. I know right but it seriously has some good tracks. No, really guys.
7. Berserk. No this isn't on here just because of Forces.
Ok maybe it is
8. Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt. Best part of the show!
9. Redline. The perfect tunes to go with high octane racing action.
10. Evangelion 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo. Movie is a shitpile but the OST is undeniably great.
11. Soul Eater. IT'S ON YOU CAN'T HANDLE US SO COOL BABY SCANDALOUS
12. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. Mostly on here because of Part 2's soundtrack, but Part 1 and Part 3 have some good tracks as well.
13. Noragami. Show was good enough, but the OST was great.
14. Hunter x Hunter 2011 - Wasn't planning on putting this on here but I went back and looked at some of the tracks and I am now.
15. Turn A Gundam. Putting it low since I haven't seen it and a big part of OST is how it's used in the series, but it's awesome.

Best Songs

1. Kom, Susser Todd - End of Evangelion
2. Forces - Berserk
3. Redline - Yellow Line

JCG

-Best Anime OST-
1. Revolutionary Girl Utena
2. Giant Robo
3. Code Geass
4. Noein
5. The Vision of Escaflowne
6. Aim for the Top! Gunbuster
7. Gankutsuou
8. The Big O
9. Birdy the Mighty Decode
10. RahXephon
11. Saint Seiya
12. Space Dandy
13. Fate/Zero
14. Kimagure Orange Road
15. Godannar

-Best Composer-
1. Kotaro Nakagawa: I think more people should listen to this man's work for Planetes, GunXSword, Code Geass, etc. Even his score for Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V (which I've never even seen) sounds just great.
2. Seiji Yokoyama: His masterful compositions on the Saint Seiya OST are the part of the show that holds up the best after so many years.
3. Naoki Sato: There are more famous composers I could have included here, but right now I feel like giving this man some credit for the music of Eureka 7.

I have triedy to favor relatively lesser known options though, and for all practical purposes this is a list of personal favorites rather than one with any pretense of objectivity.

cajunator

Banned
reserved for cajun opinions

-Best Anime OST-
01. Millennium Actress - Susumu Hirasawa can do no wrong. Memorable, edgy, and beautiful. Perfect music for a perfect movie.
02. Cowboy Bebop - Classic. Everybody knows this. I dont really have to explain.
03. Princess Mononoke - Joe Hisaishi is another very talented composer. Some of his best work is found here.
04. Chihayafuru - gorgeous soundtrack. Energetic, optimistic, and determined, like Chihaya herself.
05. Space Brothers - inspirational and memorable. I want to be an astronaut too!
06. Sora no Woto - fun, whimsical, but at times foreboding and dark, this is a really well done soundtrack. The catchy ska-esque ending song comes from nowhere.
07. Haibane Renmei - just plain gorgeous.
08. Full Moon O Sagashite - From the infectious opening by The Scanty, to the RnB/Pop inspired songs from Changin My Life, this soundtrack makes you cheer for Mizuki to succeed.
09. Noir - Yuki Kajiura at her best. It captures some of the european flavor of the series, with very driving, energetic beats and haunting latin lyrics.
10. Escaflowne - another classic. Very symphonic and epic music, perfect for this tale.
11. Elemental Gelade - Another catchy and interesting Yuki Kajiura ost. Not as good as her earlier work but still quite nice. It would make a great ost for an RPG.
12. Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles - similar to Elemental Gelade, this OST is very adventurous and full of energy.
13. Utena - Im not as keen on this as some, but it has its moments. Especially the infamous Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku which need no introduction.
14. Shin Sekai Yori - Absolutely haunting soundtrack, as foreboding and intimidating as the series. You never feel at ease.
15. Angelic Layer - full of energy and fighting spirit, also full of catchy themes and fun goofy music. A joyous listen either way.
16. Allison and Lillia - This one surprised me, from a show very few even know exists. Very atmospheric.

-Best Composer
1. Susumu Hirasawa: His close collaboration with Satoshi Kon films is one of my greatest sources of joy in the anime music world
2. Yoko Kanno: Very talented and probably the most famous composer because of Cowboy Bebop but she has to take second.
3. Yuki Kajiura: I love so many of her works. She has made music soundtracks for a staggering amount of series and movies in several different aliases.

-Best Song
1. Ai Oboete Imasuka (Do You Remember Love?): Mother of God this song. Incredibly beautiful. In addition with the animation its sublime and perfect.
2. Chiyoko's Theme (Millennium Actress): Exotic instruments, ethereal feel, and just drop dead gorgeous singing and ambience. FEELS.
3. Traditional Song of Shadows (Shin Sekai Yori): extremely mysterious and haunting. The driving guitars and chants give this song a timeless and extremely powerful presence.
4. Space Lion (Cowboy Bebop): almost native american in nature, and just absolutely beautiful. Barely edged out by Song of Shadows.

Xena

1. Saint Seiya OST VI Golden Ring Chapter: The Asgard saga was always my favorite not only because of the overall character developments but because of its beautiful soundrack.
2. Yu Yu Hakusho Vocal: I loved all the opening and ending songs, even the Brazilian dubbed versions.
3. Cowboy Bebop OST 3 Blue: Another amazing anime with a fantastic OST. The Real Folks Blues is amazing.

-Best Composer
1. Seiji Yokoyama: In my opinion, his music is what makes Saint Seiya a bigger anime than it actually is.
2. Yoko Kanno: Great quality all over her soundtracks.

-Best Song
1. Saint Legend - Soldier Dream Instrumental: I love it because it sums up the "defeat-overcome" theme. Every time the situation/battle seems hopeless, they find a way of overcoming it.
2. The Real Folk Blues: My favorite version. It's just relaxing.
3. Homuwaku Ga Owaranai - Brazilian Version: I grew up listening to this version so I prefer it (but the Japanese is also awesome).

munchie64

I'm not knowledgeable enough on this so I'll just do a basic show list:

1. Cowboy Bebop - An obvious example. The show is almost based around its music imo.
2. FLCL - Love what The Pillows bring to the table. Works great with the show's themes.
3. Dragon Ball - I really love Kikuchi's work, especially here. Fits the tone and style so well.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
1. Clannad
Fucking Jun Maeda. Why do you always have to go and just make the most heartbreaking stuff. You don't even need words (which, honestly, you're not the greatest writer), but goddamn, you know how to make music that just speaks of love, loss, and all of the shades inbetween. So just totally near flawless and powerful.

2. Cowboy Bebop
Yoko Kanno's first entry in my list but still such an icon. Seriously, what do I even need to honestly say about Bebop?

3. Zaion: I Wish You Were Here
I fully expect to be the only person to vote for this, as I'm probably one of the few that's sat through it's short, very mediocre show that felt so full of promise but fell short. But one of the building blocks in that wall of promise was the soundtrack by the venerable Kenji Kawai. It's just fucking awesome. Retro-styled, Hammond-organ-driven, guitar solo laden progressive rock that just has so many great great moments every second, but then slowly giving way to softer, well formed character pieces. Really an amazing piece of work.

4. Terror in Resonance
Say what you will about the show, but Yoko Kanno's sopundtrack is fucking stellar. Dark, neurotic, doused with post-rock and non-Japanese singers and lyrics, this soundtrack feels like a secretive, internal scream, eventually and violently bursting forth, and in many respects is much like the show. She also continues her tradition of going beyond the borders of the Land of the Rising Sun to find and use to great effect musicians far removed from the Japanese music industry. This time it finds her scouring not only the American indie scene, but even to another little island nation: Iceland.

5. Redline
Goddamn, this fits the movie perfectly. It's funky, it's blasting, it's so cheesy but just so heart pumping-ly awesome. Like, people go on and on about how amazing the animation in Redline was (make no mistake: IT'S FUCKING AMAZING) but the soundtrack was right up to the visual standards too. James Shimoji works a number for pretty unknown composer. If you're not bouncing and grooving with this shit as shit is going down on screen, there's something wrong with you.

6. Mushi-Shi
Very one-note, but there's nothing quite like Mushi-shi's soundtrack. Really there's nothing close to like it out there. Toshio Masuda weaves a strange, awe-inspiring mixture of traditional Japanese music and instruments with a dark ambient sensibility. Also fairly notable for using two OPs from English musicians, to great effect too.

7. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
It's dark, neurotic, gritty, and dystopian, and thus perfect for GitS. Yoko Kanno again finds this great balance between the stark, sharp, regimented nature of electronic music and uses it to express the humanity residing beyond, which I think really speak to the nature of

8. Space Dandy
The Space Dandy Band make one of the funkiest, well-made soundtracks in a long time, baby. It's a little bull-headed for it's own good at times, but that just fits with the show so well. And, well, I'm a sucker for well made, retro stuff. That synth and baseline on "Dandy in Love" = hnnng. God, I miss this show.

9. Kill la Kill
Hiroyuki Sawano has crafted a great, over-the-top, blasting album that I feel takes some serious cues from Inception-era Hans Zimmer, for better or worse, and welded it to a noisy house musician's sensibility. It's loud, distorted, electronic-driven, militaristic, and totally unafraid to let it hang lose and just fucking go. So in that way, perfected for the nonsense that was Kill la Kill.

10. Toradora!
Yukari Hashimoto doesn't break really any new ground with her soundtrack to one of the best RomComs out there, but there's no missteps either. A perfect blend of acoustic and piano-driven tracks highlighted with that gentle electronic shine.

11. 5 Centimeters per Second:
Tenmon really works his magic in this. A lot of people cite the inclusion of Masayoshi Yamazaki's "One More Time, One More Chance" at the end of the movie as a great moment, or at least groan worthy and cheesy, but I don't know many who make conscious note of Tenmon unraveling Yamazaki's song and weaving it's threads into his own compositions for this movie, which really help set the stage, but leave everything a very simplistic and emotionally monotone.

12. One Week Friends
Irone Toda's soundtrack, much like the very similar Toradora soundtrack or even Clannad's, is pretty understated, driven by soft acoustic guitars, piano, strings, to drive home the simple, gentle, warm message of One Week Friends. There's not a ton of Iconic moments unlike Clannad, but everything here is colored with the same warm haze as the show, and it feels so good.

13. Space Battleship Yamato 2199
Akira Miyagawa's soundtrack to AnimeGAF's Series of the Year for 2013 is just pretty damn good. It hit the dramatic battle highs, the emotional lows, and the fun character drama and action behind the scenes, but all the while maintaining this style that reminds you that this is a reboot of an old 60's/70's series. The motifs, beats, and instruments really make it feel like you've pulled this soundtrack right out of an old 70's action movie or series and clean it up.

14. Code Geass
Honestly this soundtrack is actually really dumb, but Kōtarō Nakagawa and Hitomi Kuroishi really just highlight the grandiose, ridiculous, fantastic nonsense of Code Geass. The strings, the choirs, the sense of scale and grandeur to this whole revenge plot-turned-fuck it all trainwreck.

15. Another
Another is the greatest black comedy ever made. Okay, that's a lie. It's really dumb horror that's basically Final Destination: the Anime and there's not a lot good about it. What is really good about it, however, is the atmosphere that surrounded everything. Kow Otani's soundtrack really keeps the spookiness 2spooky, even if it really heavy-handed.

Best Composer
1. Yoko Kanno
It's fucking Yoko Kanno. Her stuff is strange, eclectic, and moody, but so human and so well formed.

2. Kenji Kawai:
You got a SciFi movie and need a crazy guy to give your movie or series some life with a little retro edge? Kenji's your man. He's got this shit.

3. Jun Maeda
He's a bit one note on his major releases, but at lot less so than contemporaries like Tenmon, and when he's on, he's on. The guy just knows how to write songs that hurt your heart with and without words and stick with you for a long, long time.

Best Song
1. Clannad - "Dango Diakazoku/Nagisa's Theme": Goddamn you, Jun Maeda. I can't handle this shit. If you've ever watched Clannad, you know this song. You know this song. You hate this song, and you love this song. It's so bittersweet. It's stuck with me longer than any other anime song to date. Absolutely heart-rending.
2. 5 Centimeters per Second - "One More Time, One More Chance": So passionate, so understated, and just so well suited to be used by Shinkai and reworked into the OST by Tenmon.
3. Terror in Resonance - "von": This sold me on the TiR soundtrack when I first heard it. Arnor Dan's Icelandic vocals are haunting and it just builds into such an epic sound.

1.hack//sign - I am surprised I am not seeing much of this. Sure, the show wasn't great, but what got you through each episode? Yeah exactly.

2.Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - I don't think this needs much of an introduction. Kanno can just take a shit on some sheet music, and the OST would at least be gold.

3. The Vision of Escaflowne - See Above

4, Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt- Teddyloid too good.

5. The Big O - A very Kanno-esque OST, but not done by her. Still magnificent.

JCG

14. Code Geass
Honestly this soundtrack is actually really dumb, but Kōtarō Nakagawa and Hitomi Kuroishi really just highlight the grandiose, ridiculous, fantastic nonsense of Code Geass. The strings, the choirs, the sense of scale and grandeur to this whole revenge plot-turned-fuck it all trainwreck.

I'd have to say that evaluation appears to miss the forest for the trees. While I could understand calling certain events in the show "dumb" for one reason or another (we are talking about a medium with no shortage of silliness), I do think it's quite frankly disingenuous to apply that same label to a soundtrack. If anything, I would argue the Code Geass OST was actually quite "clever" overall. The inherent quality of its composition is pretty great in my opinion, but the score also properly reflects both the theatrical and the melodramatic as well as the comedic and tongue-in-cheek parts of the show. In short, it covers a wide range of emotions and then some.

I posit that the soundtrack helps demonstrate, quite accurately, how the series was always more of a multi-genre opera (both soap and otherwise) than a standard "revenge plot" and thus I believe its variety is a positive sign. Chaotic, indeed, but with a method to the madness rather than suddenly going "fuck it all" as you suggest. For instance, a song like All Hail Britannia! would not be created for a typically dry Gundam war story, but really works with the over-the-top and larger-than-life nature of the material here. Or how about an uncommon type of action theme like "0" that is perhaps most representative of its sheer craziness. That ties into why I consider Code Geass to be a rollercoaster rather than a wreck. In particular, the last episode was so well-orchestrated, in both the general and acoustic senses, that tracks like these illustrate how the power of music can elevate a debacle to fairly satisfying heights. That is surely not an universal opinion around these parts, but it is also very far from being uniquely mine. The fact those tracks did have a surprisingly positive impact shows, at the very least, the intelligence of the sound director, the late Yasuo Uragami.

All of the above suggests we will have to politely disagree. Having said that...thanks for reminding me about Space Dandy. I had overlooked it, but now I will seriously consider adding that to my own list later. Great stuff.

smurfx

get some go again
best ost

1. mushishi
2. honey and clover
3. eureka 7

best song

1. kaze no tadoritsuku basho - kanon
2. let me be with you - chobits
3. Mou Hitotsu no Birthday - karin

best composer

Toshio Masuda

Not a lot of votes. Why ?

I just dont agree with how the OP values each vote. It's completely heterogeneous.

Best Anime OST

1- Cowboy Bebop : Seatbelts. Amazing display of music. Perfect in the setting of the show but also outside of it. There's nothing like it in most fiction
2- Patlabor 2 .
3- Berserk. The opening is terrible (albeit catchy). But Susumu's music is throught the roof. It basically created the texture of what everyone envisions Berserk music his while reading the manga
4- Ghost in the Shell (Movie)
5 - Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi
6 - Akira
7 - Champloo :
8 - Mushishi
9 - Rurouni Kenshin : Best shounen OST ever.
10 - Trigun
11 . Ghost Shell Stand Alone Complex
12 - Porco Rosso
13 . Juuni Kokki
14 Evangelion
15 Seirei no Moribito

Best Composer
1- Kenji Kawai
2- Yoko Kanno
3- Susumu Hirasawa

Best Song

1- Purple Eyes (Hokuto no Ken - Katsuhisa Hattori ) : Perfect music for the perfect ending. Kenshiro despair environment after his dreamy illusion is fantastic. The music just elevates the moment

2- Space Lion (Cowboy Bebop)

3 - Komm Susser Tod (End of Evangelion)

Mostly commonplaces , but hey , its what i remembered now.

Jex

Wow there are lots of rules in here. It's going to take me some time to craft a suitable list.

Linkark07

Banned
Let's see...

Best OST:

1.Clannad
2. Death Note
3. Code Geass
4. Eureka Seven
5. Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood
6. Cowboy Bebop
7. Fate/Zero
8. Noragami
9. Soul Eater
10. Little Busters
11. Bleach (especially the OST used on the Arrancar saga. Glorious).
12. Kill la Kill
13. Guilty Crown
14. Shingeki no Kyojin
15. Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica

Best Composer:

1. Yuki Kajiura
2. Jun Maeda
3. Hiroyuki Sawano

Best Song:

1. Lia - Toki wo Kizamu Uta
2. Rita- Haruka Kanata
3. Hitomi - Innocent Days

I never got fully into anime for reasons, but out of the handful i've watched only Cowboy Bebop had the OST and story that felt truly remarkable.

1. Neon Genesis Evangelion: I really like how "Fly me to the moon" gets used in some scenes, all the other BGM is also solid and the Opening is an instant classic.

2. Cowboy Bebop: This one speaks for itself.

3. K-on!: Good Background music and all the songs with vocals are really catchy, everything about it is just really solid.

4. Top wo Nerai 2! Diebuster: Diebusters OP and ED are the best, there isn't a lot of other music because of it's short length so i can't justify placing it higher.

5. JoJo's bizzare adventure:
Episode 6 ending.

6. Love Live! School idol project: Same as K-on! but not as good.

7. Persona 4 the animation: the anime sucked but even the new music was pretty cool.

8. Kill la Kill
9. Full Metal Alchemist
10. Little witch academia
11. Code Geass
12. Berserk
13. Shingeki no Kyojin
14. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
15. Samurai Champloo

-Best Song-
1. Groovin Magic https://youtube.com/watch?v=xm1JuYGNalQ

2. Good, or don't be https://youtube.com/watch?v=nWEt_VgLOWY

3. Fuwa Fuwa time https://youtube.com/watch?v=xUOZjeDbRbM

Stulaw

My votes:

1. K-ON! (and !!) has the unfair advantage of being the best music based anime ever, has songs like Pure Pure Heart, Fuwa Fuwa Time, and U&I as well as the Eds Listen! and No, Thank You!

2. Puella Magi Madoka Magica, not only is it the best Magical Girl anime, but every single part of the OST suits the mood of the scenes they play in. Kalifina's Magia is both great at the beginning with Homura's fight, and as an ending
after Mami's death
, Credens Justiam makes you feel like Mami's an experienced Magical girl and she knows what she's doing, and Walpugis Night really makes you feel like shits going down.

3. Nichijou, has one of the best OP and ED, and the songs that play in the background really suit the mood, and are quite memorable.

4. Your Lie in April, has quite a good, had some of the best piano music, full of Chopin.

5. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, All of the OP's so far have been great, and Part 1 and 2 had all the different parts of Yes' ROUNDABOUT as their ending. The first OP gets quite hyped when singing it with my anime society.

6. Kill la Kill, Honestly, everyone remembers "Before my Body is Dry" and it's a great song to get you hyped up with Ryouko's transformation, but this also had a good first OP, and Satsuki's theme was pretty menacing.

7. CardCaptor Sakura; has some great OPs and EDs, also had some nice background music.

8. Neon Genesis Evangelion, Cruel Angels Thesis is a classic at this point, and from what I remember, some of the other music was good as well.

I will post more later.

Usobuko

Banned

1. Mushishi

Best Composer

1. Toshio Masuda

Best Song

1. Aika - Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo

This soft melody tries to reflect a plucky detective whodunit series that has a tendency to humanize, victimize and romanticize the culprit. It's one song that helps to shape up my preferences towards heart-rending tune.

2. Okaasan no Uta - Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki

It wasn't just Ann Sally singing it beautifully. Every aspect of the song, including the lyrics (partial below), was crafted to be a lullaby and fits the theme of the movie perfectly.

Eng's translation said:
Madaminu anata aemasu you ni
Onaka wo sasuri itsumo negatta

'May I meet you soon, my yet unseen child,'
I always wished as I stroked my belly

Fu-u-u fu-u-u donna kao shiteru ka na
Fu-u-u fu-u-u donna koe wo shiteru no

Fu-u-u fu-u-u I wonder how your face looks like?
Fu-u-u fu-u-u I wonder how your voice sounds like?

Ookina hitomi watashi wo utsusu
Namida no tsubu ga hoho ni hajikeru

I see myself reflected in your big eyes
as your tears trickled down your cheeks

Manma manma oide gohan dekita yo
Ta-ta-ta ta-ta-ta oide sanpo ikou yo

'Mama, mama, come, I'm finished with my food!'
'Ta-ta-ta, ta-ta-ta, come, let's go out for a walk!'

3. Haru to Usobuko - Mushishi

In the midst of outstanding traditional Japanese folklore osts from Mushishi, this is the one which was the closest to what I thought was it's theme.

( Do not allow yourself to be blinded by fear and anger. Everything is only as it is )

Honourable Mentions:

I also love everything about Kanashimi no Mukou e from School Days except for it chorus which I felt was overdone. Whenever I listen to the verse of this song, I am reminded of Johan's 'scenery for a doomsday' and the general atmosphere of Oyasumi Punpun.

Not sure I have the chops to vote on this one with my scattershot experience of anime, I could make a list but it'd likely be pretty cack.
So for now I'm just going to spectate, neat idea for a voting thread.

All I can think for now is that I watched Kiki's Delivery Service last month and some of its recurring motifs burrowed into my head quite successfully.

1. Princess Mononoke: I could listen to this OST all the time and never get tired of it. It shouts "Grand Adventure" to me.
2. Cowboy Bebop: I love Jazz
3. My Neighbor Totoro: I love the ambience of it.

Composers:
1. Joe Hisashi: See above
2. Yoko Kanno: See above
3. Kenji Yamamoto: I like the DBZ japanese OST

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Best anime OST -pending

Best Composer
1 Yoko Kanno she done a lot of genre, from rock, blue, jazz, pop, you have it all. And all of them is great.
2 Shiro Sagisu, his work in Evangelion is phenomenal. Them beautiful orchestra.
3 Yuki Kajiura i really like a lot of her project

Best Song
1.2. Credens Justitiam Madoka Magika Puella Madoka Yuki Kajiura
2. In My Spirit Shiro Sagisu Evangelion 2.0
3.Tank Yoko Kanno Cowboy Beebop

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
1. Cowboy Bebop
2. Berserk (not the OVA, the TV show)
3. Vision of Escaflowne
4. Ghost in the Shell SAC
5. Samurai Champloo
6. .Hack//sign
7. Hunter x Hunter 2011
8. Naruto (the original series not Shippuden)
9. One Piece
10. Dragon Ball Z (the original JP series, fucking love it)

best composers

1. Yoko Kanno
2. Susumu Hirasawa (the beserk soundtrack is just too good)
3. Yuki Kaijura

Jacob

This was incredibly hard to sort all the anime music I love and pare it down to fit the voting rules of this thread. To be fair, this would have been a challenge no matter what the restrictions were, but picking just three songs took me forever. Anyway, here's my votes, entirely subjective and limited by what I have and haven't seen to date.

Best OST
1. Samurai Champloo
2. Cowboy Bebop
3. Detroit Metal City
4. Trigun
5. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
6. Mushishi
7. Macross Plus
8. Gankutsuou
9. Baccano!
10. Death Note
11. Gurren Lagann