• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Essential RPGs - 2015 edition

kd-z

All unordered except for Fallout 2 which is king.
1. Fallout 2
The game that taught 12-year-old me that drugs are bad. I wanted to bust a slaver hideout (I didn't need to be taught that slavery is bad ;)) but wasn't strong enough, so I pumped myself full of some nasty chemicals. It helped, but left me addicted for most of the rest of the game. Which meant my stats were lowered and I sucked!
I think the other thing Fallout 2 introduced 12-year-old me to was the idea of a statistics and skills-driven cRPG. What you can do and how you solve problems is dictated by how you developed your character. Lots of charisma, intelligence and points in conversational skills can often let you avoid combat. A high pickpocket skill allows you to take stuff from people's pockets, sure, but also to put stuff in. Like an active grenade. Boom!
Fallout 2's world is noticably different from the first game. After the original, the creators could've developed it either in a more realistic, pessimistic direction of a world in which you have to fight to survive, or - and this is what they chose - focus more on the funny, campy, western-y, pop-culture-y (whoa!), science-fiction-y elements. The result is a unique creation, a game that can go from dead-serious to silly in seconds. And it works!
Sure, I still don't think much of the combat (more on that when I talk about Fallout 3) and there's a lot of jank here, but this game really deserves the top spot.

Chrono Trigger - I remember buying it for the DS and starting my playthrough in my bed, late in the evening. After a couple hours, when I finally pulled myself away from it, I was sure I've played for some 6 to 8 hours and would have to get up for school soon. When I checked the hour it was barely 1 am, and the savefile said I've only played for about 3 hours. That's how intense and packed the opening hours of this game are and it never stops getting more and more amazing!
Chrono Trigger is an adventure unlike any other. The characters that accompany you are all simple and archetypal, but their arcs are meticulously constructed and their trope-yness (I'm really quite a wordsmith, aren't I? ;)) is used to great effect thanks to some surprising story twists and gut-punching moments. It's also a jRPG that respects the player's time - a full playthrough really doesn't have to last more than 30 hours! I also don't think there's any fluff or filler in here - all quality stuff: beautiful, unique locations and fun bossfights.

Mass Effect - laid the foundation for Mass Effect 2's greatness, while also being quite unique. The synth-heavy soundtrack, the blurry/grainy visuals. It invented the dialogue wheel (while also, admittedly, forgetting what RPG dialogue should be all about) and introduced a fantastic world - and all of it was created for a game! That feeling of exploring a wonderful universe created not for a different medium but for that of games - and one that could rival Star Trek or Star Wars at that! - was just great.

Mass Effect 2 - in trying to remove the fat from Mass Effect BioWare unfortunately also removed some muscle, but Mass Effect 2 is still a phenomenal game, one that overall left on me the biggest impression from the entire series. It mostly comes down to the fantastic cast of characters, like Mordin, Thane or the Archangel (the reveal of her identity was so good I won't spoil it to anybody even though it's probably common knowledge). Some things that were good about the original games story and approach to lore were lost, but I absolutely love what they've done with returning characters like Wrex, Tali and Liara. Wrex was awesome in the first game, but Liara and Tali were speeding down the highway to Young-And-Sexy-Aliens-You-Can-Save-With-The-Power-Of-Your-Mighty-Cock-Ville. Here they were given development and put in positions of power and responsibility and that's ace.
And, hey: the shooting feels really good!

Gothic - more people and especially more RPG designer should play the first two Gothic games. There's so much stuff they could learn from them!
There's no interactive map which highlights interesting locations. The only map is a rough drawing of the land on a piece of cloth. But you quickly find your bearings and memorize the layout of the world because every part of it is hand-crafted and unique.
There's also no level-scaling whatsoever. Some places you won't be able to enter because the enemies there are too powerful for you. But if you level-up your character or are crafty enough you can get everywhere.
These two factors combined make Gothic a game that really emphasizes and promotes exploration in the true meaning of the word, completely opposite to Assassin's Creed's understanding of the idea. You have to be careful when you go out - because, hey, who knows what kind of monster or bandit might be waiting for you on behind the curve in the road? - but you also feel motivated to seek out new locations, level up, find new stuff. Not because of some compulsion to tick all the boxes, but because you're curious what's there.
It might not sound like much, but compared to most of the gaming's industry current output, Gothic is unique, crunchy and fun.
Also, it has a cool world and never takes itself too seriously. The daily cycles of all characters may be 100% scripted (there's no emergent AI involved), but also believable and reliable. The way it show your ascent from zero to hero is great: you start out using rusted swords and barely being able to swing them, and end up a mighty warrior or a powerful mage.
And Gothic II is even better, yo.

Gothic II - 3 points - the sequel takes everything that was good about the first game and makes it MORE. More land, more enemies, more characters, more exploration, more possibilities, more Gothic. Every single element is as good. I particularly love how every of its six acts has a unique flavour. The first is all nice little quest, choosing which of the three prominent groups to ally yourself with, reintroductions of characters from Gothic I and low-level combat. Act two puts you in the role of the hunted when you have to manouver the terrain from the previous game, this time all occupied by strong Orcs and other nasty creatures way above your level. Act three is your return from the mining colony to the city of Khorinis - but this time full of dangerous cultists and even with some Orcs! Act four is the cathartic moment when you are finally strong enough to take on most of the threats from the second act and you're also given a badass goal of killing a couple dragons! Act 5 is your zenith: you know the world inside out and are given quests that use that knowledge. Act six and its one long dungeon neatly closes the game.
The expansion - Night of the Raven - adds new questlines, locations, items and characters to the original world, but it's actually best played after finishing Gothic II once. It's harder (probably too hard, to be perfectly honest) and it's super fun to see how the creators decided to fuck with the original in many ways, adding and mixing up stuff through the entire length of the story.

Fallout 3 - the first person perspective is a perfect fit for Fallout, which always emphasized the singular you of the player rather than the plural you of the player's party of adventurers. The game is big, has a lot of well-developed sidequests and tiny but interesting locations to see. It has one of the best opening sequences ever - playing through your character's first 16 years of life in superspeed really makes you feel like one with your avatar - and I'm also one of the few people who loved the ending (
I love the idea of beginning the game with your birth and ending it with your death - it gives you ownership of your cahracter and the decisions you've made
).
I'm curious whether this'll be replaced by New Vegas once I finally play it.

Jeanne d'Arc - basically an entry-level tactical jRPG, but I played id after Final Fantasy Tactics and still enjoyed it enough for it to be one of my favourite games ever. It distills the sRPG into the very basics of the genre and makes sure it nails those elements perfectly. Customization is in, but it's not a burden and never feels like a chore. The Godspeed mechanic - which lets your character move once more during their turn after killing an enemy - often turns fights into fun puzzles. Sure, you could be effective and destroy your enemies with cunning, but why not do it with some style as well?
Jeanne d'Arc also uses its story premise to great effect, combining the history of the titular character with magic and demons to create some truly memorable scenes.

Pokemon Crystal - my first Pokemon game, of course, but I will defend the position that this generation was the best. Not one, but TWO continents to explore meant you had more high-level content to play through and the number (and visual design) of Pokemon was just right.

Alpha Protocol - a lot of people wrote about how meaningful your choices are in Alpha Protocol, so I'll focus on something different. This is one of a few RPGs that really understands dialogue, even though it only lets you pick the tone of your character's responses, not the text itself! BioWare created the dialogue wheel in Mass Effect to make conversations more fluid and cinematic and it worked. You no longer had to read whole lines before choosing what to say. However, in doing so they also boiled down all the dialogue in the entire Mass Effect series to choosing between te top and bottom right options - paragon and renegade, respectively. Choosing either of them will always yield good results for you. This is silly.
In Alpha Protocol not everyone is going to be satisfied if you approach them in with a smile on your face, shooting jokes and snarky replies left and right. Not everyone is going to be satisfied with a goody-two-shoes. The developers at Obsidian understood that, if you want to earn points with people, you have to know what to say and when. While talking with a serious leader of a dangerous organization it might be a good idea to approach him professionally and get right down to business, but if he warms up to you and cracks a joke you probably should respond in kind.
This makes conversations in Alpha Protocol tense and rewarding, while also giving you the space to role-play the kind o Mike Thorton you want - I recommend watching the hilarious "Mike Thorton, Psychopath" video: http://youtu.be/VUydx57te9s (spoiler warning!).

Honorable mentions:
Final Fantasy Tactics - the story blew my 13-year-old mind. What do you mean I'm branded a traitor and criminal?! That said, I'm not sure to how much scrutiny it would stand up if played by a more mature person. Still, the Job System is pure gaming bliss: addicting in the way increasing numbers in games is, but meaningful and full of crazy possibilities.

Planescape: Torment - the story is great and "the writing" is wonderful, but for me all the game-y parts really dragged it down. And it's a shame, because the original pitch reveals that the creators had quite ambitious ideas for the mechanics.

Final Fantasy VII - it's a huge, huge adventure full of memorable characters and moments, with a unique setting and visual aesthetic. It's really, really fun.

Final thoughts: man this is a rich and enormous genre that I want to explore more of! I hope that by the time the next edition of this thread comes, I'll have played through many other great RPGs and thoroughly expanded my knowledge of this part of gaming.

My list is making me wish my ps2 and games weren't on the other side of the globe. I could go for some ps2 RPG goodness right about now. With a strategy guide. Just like the old days.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Reserving my post, this will take some time.

1) Final Quest 1 - (insert explanation here)

2) Final Quest 2 - (insert explanation here)

3) Final Quest 3 (3 points) - (insert explanation here)

4) Final Quest 4 - (insert explanation here)

5) Final Quest 5 - (insert explanation here)

6) Final Quest 6 - (insert explanation here)

7) Final Quest 7 - (insert explanation here)

8) Final Quest 8 - (insert explanation here)

9) Final Quest 9 - (insert explanation here)

10) Final Quest 10 - (insert explanation here)

Honorable Mentions

11) Final Quest 11 - (insert explanation here)

12) Final Quest 12 - (insert explanation here)

13) Final Quest 13 - (insert explanation here)

14) Final Quest 14 - (insert explanation here)

15) Final Quest 15 - (insert explanation here)

15) Final Quest 16 - (insert explanation here)

17) Final Quest 17 - (insert explanation here)

18) Final Quest 18 - (insert explanation here)

19) Final Quest 19 - (insert explanation here)

20) Final Quest 20 - (insert explanation here)

Unranked Honorable Mentions
- Final Quest Tactics
- Final Quest Adventure
- Final Quest VS

pariah164

Reserved. WIP.

1)
6lYubok.jpg

(3 points!)
I loved Persona 4 on the PS2. I thought it couldn't get better. When I finally got a Vita and this game, I was proven wrong. The characters are memorable, the gameplay is challenging without being toss-controller inducing, the plot is solid, the music is amazing... This is my favorite JRPG of all time. Ever. If you have a Vita and do not have this game on it in some fashion, you are doing yourself a horrible disservice. It's the happiest game about murder ever made. Every day's great at your Junes~!

2)
XWGEmzZ.jpg

I bought this game completely blind, because I thought the cover was pretty. I had no idea what I was in for. I loved the characters and the story in this game. Dart is not a typical hero for 90s RPGs; yes, he has the spiky hair, but despite the picture I used for the banner, he has more emotional range than Cloud and Squall combined. He's more likable. This game is an instant classic, and probably my favorite PSOne game.

3)
ldjYSCT.jpg

My favorite Final Fantasy game. It doesn't deserve any of the hate it gets. After FFX had me blubbering like a wimp, this game made me smile again. A fresh look at a familiar world, an all-female party, a silly sphere-hunting crew, a fast-paced, frantic battle system... I love this game. Granted, FFX needs to be played first to fully understand it, it's still worth the time and money. I've never had more fun playing a Final Fantasy game.

4)
RhQE1AU.jpg

I played this RPG before I even fully understood what an RPG was. I rented it from Blockbuster so much that my parents just flat out bought me the game so I could finish it (and then play it four more times). This game is amazing. Geno was one of the coolest characters ever, and I'm sad he was a one-game wonder, never to be heard from again. Though the franchise was revived in a way with the Mario & Luigi series, this will always be my favorite SNES game.

5)
Vzm27IH.jpg

I quad-dipped on this game for good reason. Whereas Persona 4 was the happiest game about murder, this one is grimdark as fuck. Coffins at midnight? A creepy tower? People shooting themselves in the head to summon manifestations of their psyche? Yeah, I wasn't sure what I was in for when I first popped Persona 3 into my PS2, but it blew any expectations I had away. And then the PSP version came out, which I consider to be the definitive version. The addition of a female protagonist was refreshing, and puts a spin on the game that makes it a wholly new experience. My favorite PSP game, and a definite must-play if you have any interest in RPGs.

6)
BlIxpEh.jpg

I had never played a Fire Emblem game before this title, and I'm glad this was my first. The characters all have different quirks, they are memorable, the story is intense, and the addition of children adds a dynamic to the game that is definitely unique. I was not sure if I would enjoy the game, but I really did. It makes me look forward to future installments all the more.

7)
uQRsSBi.jpg

I never played Chrono Cross or Trigger, so this is the first game I've played that toyed with time travel, and it was a fun ride indeed. The characters, the music, and the plot... Oh man. The plot. Not just time travel, but alternate timelines. Solving problems in one opens up progression in the other, and the overall experience was a joy. One of the best games on the DS.

8)
RW32SdI.jpg

High fantasy with a steampunk bent. The plot is pretty standard, but the characters are what make this game. I thought I was spoiled going in to this game, but the stories of the characters still blew me away, especially Vivi's. Zidane was a breath of fresh air after Cloud and Squall, and the whole game is just plain FUN.

9)
PDaxgUB.jpg

Another great game for the PSP, Trails in the Sky is an EPIC RPG. There's loads to do, a rare occasion where the main hero is a heroine, great dialogue, funny hijinks, tight battle system... This game is gold, and the sequel is coming to us very soon. Pick it up. Play it. Fall in love with it as much as I did.

10)
UJVXySW.jpg

What can I say about this RPG that hasn't already been said? It defined a whole genre of games, gave us characters that were unforgettable, and gave a franchise a kickstart. Sadly, said franchise has seen better days as of late, but this game holds up well, creating a devoted fanbase that is still around today.

Honorable Mentions

11) Final Fantasy X

12) Shin Megami Tensei IV

13) Illusion of Gaia

14) Disgaea

15) Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

16) Mana Khemia: Student Alliance

17) Demon Gaze

18) Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

19) Bravely Default

20) The World Ends With You

Krafter

1) Xenosaga Episode III (3 points)
Fresh in my mind after just completing this a few months ago, it's the perfect ending to a great series. Great cast, haunting music and simple, turn-based gameplay that takes a backseat to the story. I am really disappointed that they didn't get to do the whole six, but what we got was JRPGs at their finest. My GOTY for 2006.

2) Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
My gateway drug into Western RPGs, I have more hours into Daggerfall than any other game on this list. Buggy as Hell, easy to break your game for good or bad, but that's my only drawbacks. Best character creation of the Elder Scrolls series, best dialogue as well. Fighting Dark Brotherhood assassins in a city at night, climbing, guilds you had to actually qualify for. I wish the later Elder Scrolls were Daggerfall with modern graphics and QA.

3) Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
Bioware at their finest, their best and meatiest RPG. Took the great application of D&D rules from Baldur's Gate I and focused their efforts into a large playworld with tons of people to meet and things to do. Very memorable encounters, particularly the Dragon and opposing mages.

4) Final Fantasy VI
My favourite iteration of the long-running series. Great and memorable exactly where it needs to be: opening, the "interlude", the finale. One of Uematsu's two best soundtracks, it sets the mood perfectly and tugs at the heart when needed (Overworld theme, the island, the opera, ect.). Kefka is an instantly hateable villain, one who actually pulls his plans off and effectively cuts the game in half. A classic.

5) Persona 3
Really snuck up on me, I had played the three previous Persona games, but this is where Atlus stole my heart. Totally lighthearted and fun despite the gravita of the situation, this game actually makes going to school fun. The daily routine is brilliant, it's the soul of the game despite the large amounts of time spent in Tartarus.

6) Planescape: Torment
Completely unique, combat takes a back seat to dialogue and exposition. Boss fights where your dialogue options are more important than your combat ability. Every single recruitable party member is completely fleshed out, with their own back history and motivations. The conversation with Ravel is an incredible moment, not just for this game, but in the history of gaming. Probably my favourite story of any western RPG ever.

7) Final Fantasy VIII
Very flawed for being so high on the list, but the highs are very high. My favourite Uematsu soundtrack, tremendous final dungeon and boss fights, and the best side game ever in Triple Triad. I like how the Sorceresses were a looming background threat, and the story was more about the playable leads instead. Best opening and finale in the series, slightly beating out VI on both counts.

8) Fallout
Original, near-perfect RPG system in STEAM, and a totally unique take on the Wasteland formula with the 50's theme and music. Character creation system is perfect, you never feel like you can get everything just so and need to make sacrifices. Great turn-based combat that reminds one of a simpler Jagged Alliance. Another game where you can talk your way out of fights. Best dialogue options this side of Planescape.

9) Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
A dream come true, a full-fledged Star Wars RPG where you can create your very own Jedi. Tons to do and tons to miss, the choice between light and dark, the ability to fly around the galaxy in any order you choose were highlights. Placing this far, far in the past was an inspiration, no screwing with existing characters or canon. A dull cast and duller combat drop this to it's current position, but it's still my GOTY for 2003.

10) Elder Scolls III: Morrowind
More of the same Bethesda formula, but in a dynamic and interesting setting which I find the 2nd best of the series to date. Best opening of the ES games in the prison ship without being shoehorned into a starting dungeon. Slightly worse than Daggerfall in most respects, save for music, graphics and stability, but still a classic. My GOTY for 2002.

Honorable Mentions

11) Xenosaga Episode I
Great start to the aforementioned great series. Ends leaving you needing more.

12) Xenogears
Best story and back history of any game ever. Incredible music. Overly ambitious. Somewhat weak supporting cast and gameplay keep it out of the top 10.

13) Shadow Hearts Covenant
Best game in an underrated series. Cool and zany characters, serious and silly at the same time.

14) Icewind Dale
Setting and gameplay get it this high, 1st game where I could make an entire party of D&D characters and go to town.

15) Final Fantasy VII
Gateway drug into JRPGs, iconic story and cast (for good and bad), extremely memorable in a lot of ways.

16) Diablo II
Not a big fan of the series, but Blizzard North nailed it here, top-notch gameplay.

17) Persona 2: Innocent Sin
My favourite Persona until 3 came along. Superb cast and highlights, but it does take it's time getting there. Bittersweet ending sets the tone for the entire series after it.

18) Divine Divinity
Huge game, but slow going and runs out of steam at the end. Endless amounts of things to do, reminds me of a 2D Daggerfall a bit.

19) Icewind Dale II
Combat is better than the original and there is a lot more to do. Black Isle's last hurrah, sadly.

20) Final Fantasy V
My favourite FF battle system by a long shot, very fun "We're going on an adventure!" feel to this game. I liked how you continued the previous generations 4 Warriors battle against a memorable enemy.

I've got like Vagrant Story, FF7 and Nier in my backlog... waiting for next year though.

1) Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door - Initially disappointing, because it was a somewhat prettier copy&paste job of the original Paper Mario, this game is now the superior title, now that time has passed, since it's the enhanced version of an already amazing RPG groundwork. One of the best turn based battle systems out there, with tons of different and unique locales and writing.

2) Skies of Arcadia - The story and battles itself may not be something special on their own, the locations, characters and all that could be considered generic even. But the way it is built and presented truly makes it feel like being on a huge adventure, discovering an actual world, while becoming the king of pirates, like almost no other game out there. You want to get the GCN version with lesser random encounters though.

3) Rune Factory Frontier (3 points) - A gigantic game, which mixes a life sim and Harvest Moon with real time dungeon crawling. You're kinda thrown into the game without too many tutorials and just go on to discover all kinds of stuff. The beauty is how all the elements are connected. You need to handle your economics with farming, but you can also use the crops for potions, while drops from the dungeons are used to either improve the farming tools, or battle equip. Unlike the somewhat dumbed down, smaller and more handholdey handheld iterations, this game has gigantic dungeons, which you keep exploring over several (ingame) weeks, whenever you think you are ready, while also encountering new surprises in town, as you progress naturally, with a truly open ended feeling. Unfortunately, some parts are a little too cryptic and need to be looked up. Other than that, it's highly addictive. Also, while even the 3DS game is still 2d, this was in beautiful 3D, whose art direction has wonderfully hidden the technical short comings on Wii.

4) Tales of Symphonia - I wish I could play Vesperia, but other than that, this is still the best Tales of- title I've played. The story feels grand, you probably don't see the twists coming if this is your first in the series and the battles are fun, even at its first attempt in 3D. Still has puzzles too, unlike the iterations nowadays. Characters are likeable enough, world design and music great, in a classical sense, like Skies of Arcadia.

5) Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story - The battle system is as good as usual in these Mairo RPGs, but they kinda went crazy with the settings, as you are playing Bowser, who is extremely well written in this game, who has eaten Mario & Luigi, which can be controlled on the lower DS screen, hence providing many unique mechanics.

6) The World Ends With You - A truly unique setting, that captures the feel of a summer day in the big city, despite the obscure art direction. The battles are fun action, once you get the hang of it and despite a cheesy start, there's some good story twists, especially if you're going for 100%.

7) Chrono Trigger - Legendary soundtrack, great pacing (although the final sections are quite tedious, non-stop fighting) and pixel art. The story itself isn't that memorable and kinda wastes the time travel plots, but the gameplay mechanics still feel modern nowadays.

8) Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers - SMT plus Cyberpunk. The core gameplay is as fun as usual, maybe a little more complex regarding demon handling, but the atmosphere is what really makes this game. Perfectly captures the mood of cyberpunk/anime of the time. Although I don't remember that much about the story, other than visions about some Indian spirit, but that didn't matter. It's about the feel (for which other titles such as Deus Ex HR completely failed for me - it looked like Bladerunner on the surface, but felt nothing like it) and the English release also has great voice acting. Dungeons are pretty varied and eventually have some puzzles too.

9) Shin Megami Tensei IV - Great atmosphere and soundtrack, plus streamlined gameplay in a good way (no more random encounters). The story is pretty good. It defies most current animu tropes and whatnot, in which even other SMTs have fallen, like that trash Digital Devil Saga, despite unique premise. It's pretty merciless, yet not melodramatic. The only ,,comedy'' thankfully comes from the usually curious demon conversations. The only bad thing is the map system, which is kinda messy. Still, exploration feels great in this too. Overwhelming in a good way, but not too big/empty.

10) South Park: The Stick of Truth - Probably my favorite WRPG, as it doesn't feature generic scifi or dungeons & dragons-esque fantasy (obviously). The map is open, but small, compact and filled with secrets, which makes exploration a joy. Battles try to immitate Mario RPGs, but aren't as good. Yet the environments are very varied and offer many elements of interaction, making for even more fun gameplay on the maps. As a fan of the show, it's also great, as it is not only filled with tons of fan service, but it's also funnier than pretty much any of the not-so-great seasons of the past 6 or 7 years. Feels like classic SP, rather than what the hell they are doing on TV right now.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
It's been a while since we did this. I'm glad we're doing this as my list has changed drastically

ghibli99

1) Chrono Trigger - A dream team collaboration that isn't likely to happen again in my gaming lifetime. Wonderful narrative, memorable characters, an iconic soundtrack, and if I'm not mistaken, its NG+ pretty much set the trend across all games and genres to come.

2) Dragon Quest V - The first DQ game I ever finished, and I totally fell in love with it. Refined, fast, and with a touching story spanning a lifetime. I've played and finished it several times in just the past few years.

3) Final Fantasy VI - Although the Esper system can be exploited pretty easily, I think this was Square at the pinnacle of their game (along with the aforementioned Chrono Trigger). You can see where they wanted to do more in terms of technology, but they still managed to do so much within the cartridge's limit. And Dancing Mad FTW.

4) Pokemon X - I've never been able to get into this series dating all the way back to the GBC games, but for some reason, this one hooked me. I've sunk 90 hours into it and counting. Charming little story, wonderful 3D animation, and great music. Can't wait to experience the rest of the series.

5) Nier (3 points) - Does this count as an RPG? Maybe an ARPG, but no matter, this game is greater than the sum of its parts. Story, characters, and the soundtrack are all top-notch, and it's one of the best games I played this year that wasn't from 2014.

6) Panzer Dragoon Saga - The first game I can ever remember 100%'ing, the combat in this was amazing, as was the exploration and the atmosphere. I regret selling this, though, but not because it's worth a lot, but reflecting on it years later, I would love to play it again.

7) Mother 3 - It didn't click for me at first, but I ended up really falling in love with it. The fan community for it is amazing as well, and the Mother 3 Handbook is one of my favorite collectibles. Great fan translation, and I think it improves upon almost everything from EarthBound. Plus, the animation is sublime.

8) Planescape: Torment - Not being a fan of Baldur's Gate, I wasn't sure if I was going to like this, but just the first few descriptions from the opening room, and I knew I was going to be hooked. I liked its focus on narrative and the cast of memorable characters. Can't wait for Tides of Numenera!

9) Phantasy Star - The first console RPG I ever played and beat, this one hasn't held up terribly well, but it still stands out with its nice combat animations, first-person dungeons, and solid art and music. The final boss was also a surprise, and set my expectations for future RPGs!

10) The Bard's Tale III: Thief of Fate - I love the original BT, but I loved all the refinements and improvements in this installment's graphics, animation, design, and balance.

upandaway

1) Pokemon Red/Blue/Green/Yellow

- Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum

- Pokemon Black 2/White 2

I played a lot of all the Pokemon games but Platinum was where I really had the most fun outside of gen 1, and then Black 2 after that. I did the daily quests every day and tried to max out the wallet and catch 'em all (by myself) and beat the facilities and all that stuff. Definitely my favorites.

- Earthbound

- MOTHER 3

The only thing that bums me out about the MOTHER series is that I enjoyed it so much that I can't forget literally anything about my playthroughs. I just want my memories to fuzz out a bit so I can replay the games, but I remember everything perfectly.

- Ys I & II Chronicles (3 points)

Definitely one of my favorite games, I played it with a friend and just had a blast for the short time that it lasted. It's really amazing. I haven't liked any of the other Ys games that I've tried (3, Origin and 7) so I don't know where I can get another shot of this, but I really need one.

- Disgaea

- Dragon Quest V

- Xenoblade

- Final Fantasy I

Honorable mention:

- Fire Emblem: Awakening

Wow, Panzer Dragoon Saga only got 7 votes last time.

Not too surprising. It's super expensive so not many people have played it (and not a whole lot of people owned Saturns back when it wasn't super expensive) and even more than FF7, it's in desperate need of a graphics remake. It wasn't that good looking even when it first came out (Panzer Dragoon Zwei looked better since it was on rails) & it's downright ugly now.

Aizo

Banned
There are still many RPGs I haven't played, so I feel a bit inexperienced compared to some of you... I'll do my best, though.

1. Fire Emblem: Awakening
I am kinda torn between this and other FEs, but since this is getting votes, I'll help it out. I played over 90 hours, and I'm a person that usually rushes through games. The character interactions, character development, diverse environments and strategies all just culminate into such an amazing game. I love everything about it.
2. Dragon Age: Origins
The level of detail that went into crafting this world, creating the characters and dialogue, and all the different choices--these things just make the game feel so immersive and fun!
3. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
It's silly, fantastical, fun, and the world is just so awesome. Exploring, and doing crazy quests over and over. I have played this game for many years. The mod support is insane, too.
4. Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
5. NieR (3 points)
6. Final Fantasy XII
7. Fallout 3
8. The World Ends With You
9. Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
10. Final Fantasy XII

This will definitely be rearranged and edited before I'm done.

1) Chrono Trigger - There has yet to be a game that I think does a better job at anything than Chrono Trigger. It has a fantastic cast, great story line, perfect graphics, beautiful soundtrack and an amazing battle system. If one game is perfect in my eyes, it's this one. It's also the first game that brought a tear to my eye, something I didn't think could happen from games. As a 14 year old kid games were supposed to be cool, not like this. Chrono Trigger still amazes me to this very day.

2) Earthbound - After way to many years we Europeans can finally enjoy this little gem on Wii U. I've heard and read many good things about it and it's all true. After a rocky start this game opens up and it'll make you feel special as a gamer.

3) Final Fantasy IX - Sure, VII was an epic adventure, but IX has that old skool setting I love. With Vivi FFIX also has one of the best characters ever.

4) Fallout 3 - Normally I don't like first person games and I wasn't really interested in the game until it was super cheap somewhere. After the weird intro (didn't know what was going on) I got killed pretty fast once I got outside. I got lost. Didn't know where to go. But a friend of mine suggested to try again from the start and think about my character, and take it slow. It was the best advice of the previous generation. What a magnificent game it turned out to be.

5) Xenoblade Chronicles - Wii was a console I bought because I love Nintendo games and with Mario Kart en Party I had a lot of fun with friends. What I didn't know was the little box from Nintendo could also give us these huge rpg games that made your jaw drop with every new area you discovered.

6) Terranigma - One of my friends suggested this game back in the days. I hadn't read a lot about it and before starting the game my expectations were pretty low. What I did not know was that it was such a great game. I enjoyed rebuilding the cities, loved the locations you visit throughout the game and was really shocked at the end.

7) Tales of Symphonia - My first Tales game and still my favorite.

8) Dragon Quest V - The father-son bond is great in this game. I also liked the idea that my wife joined me in battle!

9) Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - This game should be mandatory for every Nintendo fan.

10) Pokémon Blue (first gen) - It's such a massive franchise these days and there are so many Pokémon that I often think back to times where it was just 151.

Honorable Mentions

11) Final Fantasy Tactics Advance - Because I think it's more strategy than rpg, I give my honorable mention to Tactics Advance. With almost 100 hours it's by far the most played GBA game I have.

1) Chrono Trigger - Square's magnum opus and my favorite RPG of all time. It's not nostalgia for me since I played it for the first time on the DS. Perfect, unrivaled pacing, a great battle system, a wonderful soundtrack, endearing characters, several different endings and a story that handles time travel better than any other game. Chrono Trigger holds up much better than any 3D game, it is as beautiful now as it was on the SNES and it is a joy to play even today – this is a game that was truly ahead of its time. A timeless classic and the quintessential JRPG.

2) Dark Souls - A game that focuses on what I love about video games while at the same time avoiding the aspects of modern video games that I loathe: Dark Souls is pure gameplay, it has a great battle system, it is challenging yet always manages to be rewarding and never frustrating, there's no cinematic bullshit, no QTEs, no pretentious yet badly written narrative and no long cutscenes, this is a pure video game, and an amazing and unique one at that. Dark Souls, and the Souls series in general, are also games that try to use the medium's unique strengths for storytelling, I love the approach of having players find and piece together the lore and story of the game world rather than spoon feeding them via cutscenes.

3) Xenoblade Chronicles - The game that single-handedly saved JRPGs for me. JRPGs used to be my favorite genre, but quality has declined to the point where I find myself not caring about most titles in the genre that come out today. Then came Xenoblade and showed me what the genre could do, that it could still be as relevant as it used to be. There's an absolutely massive world to explore, every area is unique and creatively designed and while massive, the individual areas are never too big to become a chore to play through. Xenoblade features a likable cast of characters, an interesting story and some of the best localization you'll find in a JRPG. I can't wait for the sequel.

4) Final Fantasy VI

5) Demon's Souls

6) Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (3 points) - A criminally underrated gem. The best combat and gameplay in an action-RPG ever. An unrivaled sense of adventure - when night falls and it gets dark, Gransys becomes a totally different place than during the day. Dragon's Dogma has the best magic and spells of any video game, but each class and specialization is well balanced, keeping additional playthroughs with different play styles interesting. Generally, I lose interest in most open world RPGs and stop playing after a while. I need good gameplay and combat to keep me hooked, which is the main reason why I can never get into RPGs like The Elder Scrolls or The Witcher. But Dragon's Dogma kept me hooked with its perfectly polished combat system, I was addicted and couldn't stop playing until I had explored every corner of the world and slain every monster in it.

7) Dragon Age: Origins - Its overall story is very generic and the game is not perfect, but Dragon Age: Origins is one of the few Western RPGs that held my attention long enough to finish it. Not only that, but I loved the game so much I finished it several times. I love the varied cast of characters and their interactions with the player and each other (Bioware's biggest strength, their characters make their games), I love the role playing elements, I loved trying out all the different choices and outcomes. I like the world of Thedas and the atmosphere. I loved all the little details like the party banter. This is a game where you can tell that it was made by people who enjoyed making it and made the exact game they wanted. Unfortunately, this is no longer the case with its sequels.

8) Grandia

9) Final Fantasy VIII

10) Pokémon Red/Blue - The only entries in the series I've played but I have many fond memories of these games. My favorite aspect of the Pokémon franchise is that it brings players together, it is a „social RPG“. RPGs are largely a single player thing and Pokémon created a franchise that brings people together, not just online but in the real world.

Honorable mentions:

11) Earthbound

12) Baldur's Gate II

13) Vagrant Story
- One of Squaresoft's best games. Very atmospheric, wonderful art and music and a great and distinctive combat system.

14) Fire Emblem: Awakening - Never thought much of the Fire Emblem series but I loved Awakening, a wonderful game and more accessible than earlier titles.

15) Chrono Cross

16) Final Fantasy VII

17) Final Fantasy IX

18) Skies of Arcadia

19) Golden Sun

20) Koudelka
- A flawed game with a painfully slow battle system but a very unique setting and atmosphere.

1. Chrono Trigger
2. Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines (3 points)
3. Planescape: Torment
4. Final Fantasy VI
5. Dark Souls
6. Deus Ex
7. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
8. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
9. Dark Souls II
10. Mass Effect

Servbot24

Banned
Work in Progress:

1. Mega Man Legends 2 (3 points)

2. Demon's Souls

3. Dark Souls

4. Final Fantasy XII

5. Persona 4

6. Chrono Trigger

7. Mega Man Battle Network 3

8. Fire Emblem Awakening

9. Tales of Symphonia

10. Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door

11. Ni no Kuni

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
How audacious of you to make such an assumption, Sir/Madam. That list required almost no effort to compile, meaning it had to have come straight from the heart.
It may have been a way to motivate myself to submit a list, and not leave such a gross smudge on my post history.
Haha. Too late, now it's immortalized in my quote. :D

kswiston

Not too surprising. It's super expensive so not many people have played it (and not a whole lot of people owned Saturns back when it wasn't super expensive) and even more than FF7, it's in desperate need of a graphics remake. It wasn't that good looking even when it first came out (Panzer Dragoon Zwei looked better since it was on rails) & it's downright ugly now.

Panzer Dragoon Saga was #49 with 15 votes in 2010, #44 with 12 votes in 2011, #63 in 2012 with 9 votes. The first thread had the largest pool of participants (nearly 300), but the game seems to be becoming more obscure over time. Makes sense I guess.

Coxy

Grandia 3 points
The best battle system of any traditional RPG and the series would be essential on that point alone but the fantastic story and characters make this one of the best ever made. It's rich with themes and lore, the sense of adventure and feeling of setting off into a new unknown world is stronger here than in any other game I've played. The coming of age of Justin as he sets off into the world in wonderfully complimented by the changing of ages within thw world itself as the age of adventure is supposedly over as they reached the end of the world and they think there is nothing more to explore. This world view and history really enhances the feeling of exploring the unknown.

Grandia 2
The battle system is a triumph once more, even better in combat than the original, though the system for skill gaining and upgrades isnt quite as good. Instead of retreading the same ground as the original it takes a darker tone, though it's filled with witty humour. While the first game went against the changuing of the ages, this game takes the opposite approach, dealing with a world stuck in its old views and prejudices.

Lunar 2: Eternal Blue
A really really adorable love story, the cast are all likeable and the script is pretty funny. Has some really interesting ideas like how you can never control the female lead, the most powerful character in the story and how she chooses to act over the course of the adventure.

Skies of Arcadia
Sky pirates! Ship battles! If this hasnt already sold you, you are a terrible person. It's a really interesting unique world with some great exploration, the cast are all likeable. All the exploration is rewarded by discoveries among other things. Customising your ship, recruiting a crew and building a secret pirate base are all really fun. There's almost certainly a HD rerelease of this coming soon so that'll be a perfect chance to try this one out.

Phantasy Star Online
I was really tempted to replace this with PSO2 this year but as superior as I think PSO2 is, it isnt quite the full package yet. PSO really nailed the formula of making doing the same areas over and over in the hopes of finding a rare item. The weapons look and play so differently that you're happy to do another run to try it out.

Super Robot Wars: Original Generations
An insane over the top story with constant twists and turns and reveals endlessly ramping up the number of substories make this a joy to experience, there's absolutely never a dull moment. The attack animations are really something, taking the best of mecha anime and adding even more to it. As much as I love SRPGs it's rare for them to actually be exciting but srw can really get you on the dfge of the seat as victory and loss conditions can change, multiple factions and even multiple bosses can intterupt a mission causing you to scramble to rethink your strategy.

Shining Force 3
One of the most ambitious and inventive games of all time, a vast epic covering 4 releases, telling a massive story from multiple sides. Beginning with the son of one of the founders of the republic and the newfound nations struggles to be free from the empire then moving on to show things from the empires point of view, telling the story of the youngest prince, questioning his fathers tyranny while also being wary of his brothers machinations. It finally all comes together in the third scenario, following a mercenary with no ties to either land who joins up with each army for a period as their goals coincide with his own. Over the course of each game events are happening at the same time and choices you make will have an effect on what's happening on the other side. The choices are really well done too, it's rarely clear you're even making a decision until later on. Years after playing I was learning about characters I could have let live instead of killing and such. It's a far cry from the blue good red bad decisions of many modern lauded games.

Valkyria Chronicles
Gorgeous studio ghibli style anime visuals coupled with a really new evolution of the SRPG formula spreading delicious tactical battles over vast battlefields. The life fire system really keeps you on your toes and battles become really exciting as huge mechanical fortresses and giant tanks show up. The cast is really varied with people of all ages and walks of lifes forced to come together to defend their homeland. From the dozens of unique characters fleshed out with their own backstories and relationship with other characters, which has an actual well implemented effect on battle with the potential system, to the alternate reality similarities to real world locations and events, it's hard to think anyone wouldnt find something to enjoy in here.

Ar Tonelico
Possibly the single most fleshed out and original world I've ever seen in any work of fiction. As the world below became polluted and unihabitable and known as the sea of death, people moved higher up, living in towers in the sky. To aid their survival humans created another race, Reyvateils, capable of interacting with the technology of the towers and using their functions. Over the hundreds of years since humans moved onto the towers, loss of understanding in the struggle to survive, wars and a lack of maintenance has caused damage to the towers and a lack of ability to repair them. So a large part of the quest unfolds understanding the world and how it works. this together with literally hundreds of pages of info on the locations, people, organisations, even cultural fads as well as theory behind the workings of everything made this a world I never struggled to believe.

Mana Khemia
On the surface this game appears to be a bit of high school anime style fluff, for a time this is true as you have a bit of fun and meet the cast and start off into the character quests which generally start with fun little skits. However as you dig deeper into the story and progress further down the character quest lines it takes on a much darker tone with some real tear jerker endings. The combat and skill systems are excellent too, battles move as fast or as slow as you want them to and while starting off basic, every few upgrades a new layer is added to the system, bringing support attacks and team defences to the table along with a vast array of alchemy items. The grow book is a really great system, it's like the sphere grid and other such systems but each node is unlocked by items you create and have extra bonuses depending on how well you make them. It's really addictive to keep filling it out and really pushes you to keep making stuff.

Honorable Mentions:

Langrisser 2
The most vast, sprawling and challenging SRPG I've ever played, not only do you have the dozen plus characters of a typical SRPG but each of your characters also has 6 generic troop units under their command, the same is true for the enemy and you end up with ridiculously huge scale battles with hundreds of units. Also boasts some amazing music by Noriyuki Iwadare.

Suikoden 2
A huge cast of interesting characters, it's really fun collecting them all and there's a nice bit of variety with the duels, standard battles and tactical battles. Some of the most memorable villains ever and a nice length without too much filler.

Suikoden 5
After two hugely disappointing sequels following suikoden 2 I went into this expecting very little and I was blown away by how good it is. It has a genuinely excellent story intertwining personal and political arrangements as well as a bunch of substories for many of the supporting characters who are more fleshed out than any other entry in the series.

Dragon Force
8 playable scenarios showing the side of each of the nations engaged in all out war to unite the continent before a dark god awakens. Over a hundred characters with a myriad of secrets and histories and relationships to be discovered. The battle system is really unique, allowing you to swiftly command groups of up to 100 soldiers.

Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky
Another one with a really well founded world and a long story spread over multiple games

Panzer Dragoon Saga
This game has an incredibly unique battle system and atmosphere, it's a dark brutal place where humans could be eaten alive by monsters at any moment. Even so it's a world filled with a sense of mystery and the unknown as you interact and observe plants and life forms that feel more alien than fantasy. It always felt like there were more mysteries to be found in the game, even after light wing, even after finding the solo wing, it felt like there was more to the world, I spent too many hours hoping to find a way to an alternate ending.

Steambot Chronicles
This game has such a unique and wonderful atmosphere, so many things about it are just a little different from most games. From the very start, the controls are deliberately unusual, they arent trying to be intuitive, they're designed to really make it feel like you're operating a machine, pulling levels and using controls rather than the complete opposite direction most games have gone in. The music, the style, the little touches all make you want to relax and spend time in this world, hanging out in the bar, performing on a street corner for change, cooking a home meal, decorating your home, in some ways its like Animal Crossing for anime JRPG fans.

Atelier Totori
I was torn between this and Escha and Logy but I think Escha is closer to Mana Khemia, listed above, so I'm going to list Totori as a representative of the more traditional Atelier games. It's a really personal little story about a young girl who sets off to become an adventurer, following in her mothers footsteps, hoping to find out what happened to her mother who went missing years ago. It's a heartfelt story, her sister is terrified of the same thing that happened to her mother happening to her sister and her depressed father has basically checked out completely. There's some great humour and touching scenes as she makes new friends who support her journey.

Shining Force 2
I listed Shining Force 3 above but I really love Shining Force 2 as well, it was my first RPG and really got me into the genre. A massively varied cast of characters and a really long quest, with the best sense of a proper world in the shining series.

Front Mission 3
A fantastic tactical RPG with two almost completely different storylines, very deep skill system and some really interesting customisation, letting you do things like force eject enemy pilots to steal their mech, or aim directly for the cockpit to try and kill the pilot while leaving the mech relatively intact. It really lets you come up with your own playstyle for the game.

1) Valkyria Chronicles (3 Points) - Simply one of the best JRPGs I have ever played, something with some real character unlike many others. And best of all, got me out of the slump I was in after Halo 4 put me on the verge of retiring from gaming.

2) Morrowind - Grand open world with a plot that has depth and is truly focused down on the core of RPG elements from dice-rolls to carefully crafted builds that play differently. And enough content that I've never finished the bloody thing.

3) Deus Ex - I suppose since everyone knows what this is I ought not go too into detail. The artstyle, the political depth, the gameplay choices. This has it all.

4) Final Fantasy 7 - Simplicity at it's finest. Nice and relaxing of an RPG experience for the most part without a need to spend hours developing a build or worry too much about permanent decisions since progression can be modified on the fly any time outside of battle.

5) Valkyria Chronicles 3 - A much refined VC experience with enhanced RPG mechanics and a much better translation (lol) of VC to the portable realm than VC2's butchered attempt at a portable VC was.

6) Final Fantasy XIV - One of the few MMO RPGs to be built around a console experience and damn fine for it, just like it's predecessor...

7) Final Fantasy XI - One of the best experiments done with an established brand *EVER* IMO. Some may not have liked it, but it was nice have a brutal MMO that required social skills. The Dark Souls of Final Fantasy!

8) Deus Ex Human Revolution - A worthy successor to the Deus Ex mantle after that depthless shitpiece with the edgy "The Future War on Terror" subtitle that shan't be named sullied the franchise.

9) Bioshock - Perhaps I am stretching the definition of RPG here, but considering the mechanics, I'd consider it right up there since it has an emphasis on upgrades with limited resources.

10) Xenoblade Chronicles - Just starting on this one and I'm not even entirely sure if I like it but it sure knows how to hit those addiction centers, like FF14 does. Game looks like crap on my TV but I'll probably get used to it. I like it, but uh, the price seemed a bit ridiculous considering it's a rather young game and most used games at it's pricepoint were given a decade or two to appreciate in value.

Honorable Mentions

11) Fire Emblem: Awakening - Got me into the FE series, made me *look* at it's predecessors. Sadly I've not touched said predecessors since some of their current price points, for me as a man who respects his own finances, make Xenoblade's peak at $120 look merely like what game prices will be after another decade of inflation.

I just want to say that I'm very impressed with people's picks. Lots of varied titles. I kind of expected it to be mostly Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger and Dragon Quest or lots of recent titles but there's a little bit of everything in here.

Shengar

I just want to say that I'm very impressed with people's picks. Lots of varied titles. I kind of expected it to be mostly Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger and Dragon Quest or lots of recent titles but there's a little bit of everything in here.

But still there'll be not enough Space Rangers 2 ;__;

randomkid

Here are 10 essential RPGs that reflect the diversity and breadth of the genre, each differing significantly in terms of atmosphere, mechanics or structure, presented in reverse chronological order.

1) Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon; the tone of Japanese detective shows and Megami Tensei, Raidou’s cape fluttering across 20th century cityscapes, Adventure. Buy it on PSN.

2) Persona 3; A tarot journey with a hip-hop soundtrack, goth-animu becomes something greater than the sum of its parts, a mix of roguelike-like systems and simulation elements that manages to somehow work brilliantly. Buy it on PSN.

3) Digital Devil Saga; a concise and brutal poem of cyber-Buddhism, excellent dungeons. Buy it on PSN.

4) Shin Megami Tensei 3 (3 points); quietly, artfully, demolishes the moral ‘complexity’ of all competing games, the greatest turn-based combat in RPG existence, the purest aesthetic vision of Kazuma Kaneko, the lonely grandness of the universe refracted through punk-rock demonology. Buy it on PSN.

5) Persona 2: Innocent Sin; a manic wildly engrossing conspiracy-tinged plot that never forgets to do kindly by its cast of characters, the best way to contextualize Persona 4. Buy it on PSN.

6) Revelations: Persona; no game has yet matched its lurid dreamscape atmosphere, the most tasteful illustration of PSX-era philosophizing, choice (attention Gold Box fans) is the theme that pervades plotpoints, characters & battling, Mark danced crazy. Buy it on eBay.

7) Soul Hackers; A vision of 1990s futurism and occultism, a showcase for multiple interesting interlocking subsystems for devil summoning, vision quests are true highlights: novel perspective switching through both game mechanics and aesthetics. Buy it on 3DS.

8) Shin Megami Tensei;
the most elegantly plotted Shin Megami Tensei, a series of uncanny vignettes in everly increasing stakes, culminating in a final cathedral that reflects heavenly law and hellish chaos through both religious speechifying and floor map design. Buy it on iOS.

9) Megami Tensei 2; begins with a mindblowingly meta intro that invokes nostalgia in the Famicom era, a Kaneko character sprite replaces blue-pointer-man on the (beautiful) world map!!, the LOSARM status occurs when you lose your arm. Buy it as the Super Famicom remake “Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei” on Wii Virtual Console and play the fan translation, Megami Tensei: Old Testament.

10) Dragon Quest 5; PS2 version, this game too good and you also collect monsters, but you don’t even know tho, buy it at a Book Off.

XpEZMqV.jpg

Raggie

Sorry for going a bit OT, but does NeoGaf have other (semi)regular 'essential' votings like this, like best games for each platform etc.?

Something I just thought about since I got a Vita yesterday...

Sorry for going a bit OT, but does NeoGaf have other (semi)regular 'essential' votings like this, like best games for each platform etc.?
The other threads didn't have as many participants and I think the mods asked people to stop making them since they were getting a bit spammy.

NeoGAF's Top/Essential Indie Games (Final Results)
NeoGAF's Essential Fighters - 2013 Edition [Results]
NeoGAF's Essential Shmups - 2013 Edition [Results]

You might find more if you google: "site:neogaf.com intitle:essential vote" or something similar.

8) Shin Megami Tensei;[/B] the most elegantly plotted Shin Megami Tensei, a series of uncanny vignettes in everly increasing stakes, culminating in a final cathedral that reflects heavenly law and hellish chaos through both religious speechifying and floor map design. Buy it on iOS.

I don't follow phone games, does stuff like this usually come to android later?

Jisgsaw

terrisus

Man, I love this thread <3

Glad you're doing it again this year.
I'll get something up soon.

In the meantime:

1: Legends of Terris (PC) (+3)

z1xnpEn.jpg

Legends of Terris is a MUD that I have been playing since the mid-'90s. It was originally on AOL, since around 2000 it's been on the internet on its own website/in its own client. It's not nearly as active as it used to be, but there's still a great group of people there. I can't imagine my life without it.

2: Chrono Trigger (SNES)

iOztMw7.png

<----- AvatarQuote

Seriously, I love Chrono Trigger. I've played through it countless times, have written a guide for it, and just adore it every single time I play through it. There's so much to do, so much to see, so many ways to do things, and everything in it is just so enjoyable. The absolute pinnacle of gaming - nothing before or since, in any genre, has come anywhere close to it.

Just to get in the rest of a list for now, so I don't forget:

3. Earthbound (SNES)
4. Lufia 1 (Lufia and the Fortress of Doom) (SNES)
5. Lufia 2 (Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals) (SNES)
6. Final Fantasy 3(6) (SNES)
7. Mother 3 (GBA)
8. Final Fantasy Legend 1 (GB)
9. Drakkhen (SNES)
10. Aidyn Chronicles: The First Mage (N64)

Honorable Mentions

11. Dragon Warrior 1 (Dragon Quest 1) (NES)
12. Icewind Dale (PC)
13. Faxanadu (NES)
14. Shining Force 1 (GEN)
15. Dragon Quest 9 (DS)
16. Final Fantasy 2(4) (SNES)
17. Final Fantasy 1 (NES)
18. Dragon Warrior 3 (Dragon Quest 3) (NES)
19. Golden Sun (GBA)
20. Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled (DS)

kswiston

Thank you to the over 120 people who have voted so far. There have been some great posts, and I always love to see the creative ways in which some posters present their picks.

I am hoping to have at least 200 participants to ensure a well rounded final list. If all of those posters who reserved posts on the first page remember to go back and edit in their lists, we should be a 2/3-3/4 of the way towards that initial goal. Of course, more than 200 participants would be even better!

Someone asked on the previous page if they can vote for Zelda titles. You can vote for anything you consider to be an RPG. However, most people don't really consider the Zelda games to be RPGs, so they typically don't rank very high (despite the quality). Same goes for things like Heroes of Might and Magic, or X-Com.

kswiston

Bumping for the weekend, since this thread tends to get buried during the week when people don't have as much time.

I will be visiting family for most of the next week, but I will try to check in on GAF periodically. Remember that voting closes Jan 2nd.

Tunic

*Excited to participate in this again! Thanks for putting this together again OP!*

1) Earthbound - One of the quirkiest RPG games out there. I love replaying this game on a yearly basis and this game definitely defines what an RPG game is to me.

2) Final Fantasy VI - Arguably the best Final Fantasy game in the series. The game hooks you from the opening scene and keeps you hooked with an excellent story. I remember fondly playing this almost every weekend during sleepovers when the game came out back in the day.

3) Chrono Trigger - A classic RPG. Excellent story, characters and music make you feel apart of the world. I replay this game from time to time and I am always left amazed at how well the game is made. Clearly a benchmark and an essential RPG.

4) Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (3 Points) - The best RPG in my eyes and heart from the last generation. If you ever wanted to be apart of a Studio Ghibli world this game will do it for you. Excellent characters, art style, music and gameplay.

5) Mother 3 - An excellent and emotional follow up to Earthbound that clearly needs a proper release to folks outside of Japan.

6) Xenoblade Chronicles
7) Suikoden II
8) Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4
9) Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
10) Final Fantasy IX

I have a feeling if I don't jot down some list right now I'll never decide the order I want them in, so here goes a quick list:

1. Xenoblade Chronicles
2. Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (3 points)
3. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
4. Skies of Arcadia
5. Final Fantasy X
6. Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire (this is getting combined with the original RSE right)
7. Fire Emblem: Awakening
8. Tales of Symphonia
9. Final Fantasy VII
10. eh...I'll think about it

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Work in Progress - I'm just going to list games and order them up later!

SNES
) Final Fantasy V

PSX
) Final Fantasy IX
) Xenogears

PSP
) Legend of Heroes - Trails in the Sky

PS2
) Persona 4
) Valkirya Chronicles

Wii
) Xenoblade Chronicles -

Nintendo 3DS
) Bravely Default -

8) Final Quest 8 - (insert explanation here)

9) Final Quest 9 - (insert explanation here)

10) Final Quest 10 - (insert explanation here)

Final Quest is a BAD ASS RPG series. I love the graphics in 7, but the music was a let down in 10.

Zach

I'm not a huge RPG fan... but I've played a surprising amount of RPGs! My son really loves them, so we play a lot together. Don't worry, though; I played South Park by myself... heh... Anyway! I'm no authority on the matter, but I may as well participate, yeah?

1) Chrono Trigger (3 points) - This is one of those games we will talk about from time to time for the rest of our lives. A timeless classic with great music and characters. Truly special.

2) Super Mario RPG - Who thought this would work? Great game. The platforming segments sucked, though.

3) Paper Mario - Our favorite Mario RPG. Just a delight to play through.

4) Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door - Another excellent entry.

5) Fable - I loved this game when it first released on the original Xbox. I remember a lot of folks having issues with it, but I guess those complaints came from the hardcore RPG faithful.

6) Fallout 3 - I was really into the post-apocalyptic setting when this came out, which probably helped.

7) Valkyria Chronicles - This game was hard, but I really enjoyed the art style, the gameplay and some of the characters. Glad I took some guy's suggestion and played it.

8) The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - We loved just exploring for hours. We were in awe upon its release.

9) Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch - Beautiful game. Cute characters. The gameplay was kiiiind of a bore from time to time, but we still loved playing through it.

10) South Park: The Stick of Truth - Funny, disturbing, and wonderfully crafted.

Honorable Mentions

11) Mass Effect - I was surprised when I was the first one of my friend group to play this. They like RPGs more than I do and when I played this I was like "Guys! What are you doing?! Play Mass Effect!"

12) Mass Effect 2 - Better than the first.

13) Mass Effect 3 - I was tiring of the series at this point, but it was still a good time.

14) Blue Dragon - My son and I had a good time. I remember rolling my eyes at some stuff, but whatevs.

15) Costume Quest - Best Halloween-time game ever. :D

16) Torchlight - I think I got this for free. It was a lot of fun. I should probably play the second one...

Hanzaki

Neo Member
work in progress...

1) Suikoden - (insert explanation here)

2) Final Fantasy 12 - (insert explanation here)

3) Chrono Cross - (insert explanation here)

4) Fallout 3 - (insert explanation here)

5) The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - (insert explanation here)

6) Final Fantasy 6 - (insert explanation here)

7) Mass Effect - (insert explanation here)

8) Lands of Lore (3 points) (insert explanation here)

9) Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra - (insert explanation here)

10) Xenogears - (insert explanation here)

Honorable Mentions

11) Final Fantasy 7 - (insert explanation here)

12) Suikoden 2 - (insert explanation here)

13) Shadow Hearts - (insert explanation here)

14) Dragon Quest 7 - (insert explanation here)

15) Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - (insert explanation here)

15) Vandal Hearts - (insert explanation here)

17) Fallout: New Vegas - (insert explanation here)

18) Final Fantasy Tactics - (insert explanation here)

19) Final Fantasy Legend 3 - (insert explanation here)

20) World of Warcraft - (insert explanation here)

Played most of these in my teen years, don't remember too many specifics. Ranked solely on the fondness of my memories of the experience playing the game, based on the vague recollection of the story, battle system, and art styles in the games.

1) Dragon Quest V - NDS
The sense of passage of time worked wonders. Just plain fun.

2) Brave Fencer Musashi - PS1
Charming, loved the rudimentary day-night system and rescuing people, as well as the Kirby-like Assimilation system.

3) Phantasy Star IV - GEN
Didn't actually beat the game before losing my save, but I liked having different ways of travel, robots in my party, and going around the planets wrecking shit.

4) Chrono Cross - PS1
Looked beautiful. Didn't care for the story/characters all that much, but it was a joy traveling through this tropical world.

5) Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden - PC
The best writing I've ever read in any RPG. Actually makes me laugh unlike other professional attempts. Short and tidy, with a fun battle system to boot.

6) Tales of Eternia - PS1
Beautiful artwork and battle system sprite work. Fun as hell to wreck enemies in the Linear Motion Battle System. Enjoyed this slightly more than Phantasia.

7) Dragon Quest III - GBC
Archetypal JRPG in many ways. Still fun in my first playthrough this year.

8) Ys: The Ark of Napishtim - PS2
My first experience with the faster-paced action of the later Ys series. Adol was a joy to control. Short succinct adventure.

9) Shining Force CD - SCD
First SRPG I ever complete. Simple to enjoy.

10) Breath of Fire IV - PS1
A long epic adventure with the best sprite work I've seen in a JRPG. Fishing and dragon transformations made the PS1 BoF games so fun.

Violet_0

Banned
1) Baldur's Gate II: Shadow of Amn - Still the uncontested best RPG of all time. A vast game world filled with rich characters and lore, great writing, with a complex combat system.
2) Planescape: Torment
3) Gothic 2 - An outstanding example for how to create an exploration-based RPG. Aside from the visuals, it holds up remarkably well to this day.
4) Terranigma (3 points) - Perhaps my favorite game of the SNES era, sadly underrated. Rebuild the world and shape the destiny of it's people, accompanied by an outstanding, haunting music score.
5) Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer - The expansion that outshines the (decent) base game in every way, featuring Obsidian's writing at it's very best.
6) Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
7) Seiken Densetsu 3 / Secret of Mana 2 - A damn shame this never made it out of Japan considering that it's easily the best entry in the Mana series. Everyone ought to try it. The forbidden fruit of the glorious SNES action-RPG heydays.
8) Mass Effect
9) Secret of Mana
10) The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind

Honorable Mentions

11) Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
12) Illusion of Gaia / Illusion of Time
13) Secret of Evermore
14) Risen
15) Knights of the Old Republic 2
16) Tales of Vesperia
17) Tales of Symphonia
18) Fire Emblem: Awakening
19) Alpha Protocol
20) Valkyria Chronicles

Ikon

Here goes:

1. Chrono Trigger - This game has it all: a cast so good you will never want to say goodbye to them, a world full of fantastic locations to visit that all connect wonderfully, one of the absolute best soundtracks in all of gaming, a fantastic combat system that makes you want to use all your characters so you can see all the different combo attacks, a really cool story about time travel and all of this is presented in gorgeous 16bit pixel art.

At this point in time it may be a bit of a boring first choice but it remains my all time favorite game. I feel it would wrong to move it down the list just because of its popularity.

2. Final Fantasy VI - I admit to being somewhat of a Final Fantasy fanboy (excluding everything related to XIII) and this is the best entry in the series to me. Here the highlight is the cast, which is quite substantial. All of the characters, both playable and not, are lovingly portrayed and varied - without ever feeling cliché. As with Chrono Trigger the music is just sublime as well.

3. Final Fantasy XII - I'm starting to see a trend with my list here in that the characters are really important to me. I know this game gets a lot of hate because of Vaan but I was able to overlook him (and he's not really the main character anyway) and see the great characters that the story is actually about. These have a more grown up tone to them which is a nice change of pace. Also the combat system is quite controversial but I loved being able to tinker with the gambits and figuring out how to beat the challenges presented. To me this was far more fun and often required quite a bit of preparation and actual thinking. And as with earlier entries, the stage for all of this is breath taking! Ivalice is perhaps the finest fantasy world I've had the pleasure of visiting. It's a bit of a shame that the soundtrack didn't fit entirely on the disc but what's there is still stellar.

At first I was going to limit myself to one Final Fantasy game on this list but I just couldn't leave this game out. Also there are very few similarities between these two picks.

4. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn - This is another unbelievably complete package of a game. There is just such so much to do here with tons of characters to meet and recruit, what feels like countless adventures to go on and so many different ways of going about all this. The world where all of this takes place is really fleshed out as well and there's a mind blowing amount of conversation if that's your thing.

This is still the pinnacle of this particular sub-genre but it will be really interesting to see how Pillars of Eternity turns out.

5. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - This game combines a lot of the components I just love: a huge cast full of interesting characters (many of which are completely missable), combat that requires you to think things through and not just go ham, unforgiving gameplay mechanics - in this case its permadeath, a grand adventure that takes you to varying locales and lastly quite a bit of entertaining dialogue.

6. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - This game has one of the best combat systems outside of actual character action games I've ever seen. Combined with the open world and the crazy enemies you encounter this can lead to fantastic and unpredictable fights. That open world is also a treat to traverse as it is in equal turns fantastical and believable. The only reason it isn't higher on the list is the pawn system in stead of actual characters and the somewhat invisible story.

If ever there was a game that needed a proper sequel it's this one. It is just so shock full of brilliant ideas yet it's a little rough around the edges here and there. With some extra time it could certainly spawn the GOAT sequel.

7. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (3 points) - Never would I have thought it'd be possible to find such a great RPG behind a name such as this. Charm, sure (and that it has in spades too) but not a competent combat system (it looks simplistic but turns out to be among the best) nor interesting characters (they all turn out to be fantastic and even Mario manages to be quite fun!).

Will add more when/if I have time.

I also have quite a few I still need to play. Any tips for where to start would be greatly appreciated:
Persona 3 (don't know which version to go for, probably P3:FES?)
Persona 4 Golden
Shin Megami Tensei series (if only I knew where to start..)
Radiant Historia
Trails in the Sky
Xenoblade Chronicles
Ys (all of them)
Mario & Luigi (again, all of them
?
)
The Witcher 2
Planescape: Torment
Shining Force
Phantasy Star

1) Secret of Mana/Seiken Densetsu 2 (3 points) - This game has it all. Multiplayer, brilliant UI, phenomenal graphics and music that stand the test of time, one of the most fun and engaging battle systems that balances simplicity and depth. The overall plot line is quite cliche but the characters overcome it. Supposedly memory limits really hampered this game from getting a proper translation. Pity the iOS remake didn't get the new translation this game deserves.

2) Phantasy Star End of the Millennium - The best turn based traditional RPG battle system to this day, a rare high non-dreary/dystopic sci-fi setting and a great cast of characters. Plus that cast was remarkably un-sexist for its time. Then again, the non-sexism isn't surprising given that the first Phantasy Star game had a female lead which was extremely rare back in the day.

3) Valkyria Chronicles - The next great evolution of the meld of strategy and RPG. On top of a stellar combat system, the character personality quirks being important in battle, there was really nothing wasted in this phenomenal package. This game will be a bench mark for years to come.

4) Final Fantasy Tactics - I think Vagrant Story is going to hate me for saying this has the greatest story full of political intrigue and fantastic music. The gameplay was also a great evolution for its time using the highly beloved FF mix and master job system. FF's job system is one of my favorite gameplay systems ever and as far as I've played, this is the best iteration there is.

5) The Witcher 2 - I'm loving The Witcher trilogy and eagerly looking forward to its climax. This is a very well focused CRPG that really makes me feel like what I do matters and gives me enough freedom without losing steam. Plus the gameplay rocks! This amazing feat of balance is something I've wondered why certain other well-known Western RPG devs couldn't pull off.

6) Fire Emblem Awakening - Wow. I never thought a non-Kaga Fire Emblem could become the best of the series. It takes my 2nd favorite FE(Genealogy) and gives the gameplay some highly welcome modern twists and balancing.

7) Heroes of Might and Magic III - I'm primarily a JRPG person but this strategic CRPG immediately jumped its way into my list of classics. I had a lot of fun with hot seat multiplayer with my friends. I loved the mix of town sim, exploration and strategic battles. All these elements were really well blended.

8) Ultima 7 - Wow. Just...Wow. This is such a massive game that lets you do so much. Hats off to the developers for pulling off this crazy scope. The world is alive bustling. I just remember running around and going crazier than I have than any GTA game and loving it.

9) Vagrant Story - At first, I thought this game was a really clunky hybrid of RPG and action that *gasp* eschewed shopping and all the usual staples! The story, intrigue and the puzzles really sucked me in and eventually, this game clicked with me big time. Now I consider this an essential game.

10) Ys: Memories of Celceta - Ys has always had some of the most solid action of any action-based RPG out there, bar none. Storywise and musicwise, Dawn of Ys was one of my favorite of the franchise and seeing it get a proper game by Falcom with some more modern storytelling

Honorable Mentions

11) The World Ends with You - How many great ideas can you cram into 1 game? TWEWY shows, you can burst with them. Between this and Persona 3+, it's hard to imagine a better modern-day set RPG. Battles, balance, interacting, growth, everything is bursting with great, original ideas. My impressions are based off the DS version; I hear the iOS port is extremely competent.

12) Xenogears - What? Not in my top 10? It was a helluva ride when I first played it and I still think it's a fantastic game but it's lost a lot of ground due to better games. This game borders on art with its overly philosophical and heavy storyline. This can make it difficult to enjoy at times but it's still a remarkable game.

13) Dark Souls - This game is tougher than tough but gives you a glorious sense of accomplishment when you finally pass it. The dying message system is absolutely brilliant; From Software continues to push the envelope on unique, original online features.

14) Skies of Arcadia - The Feels! Oh my the feels..Love everything about this game; story, characters, gameplay, your base, making all those supporting NPCs matter, discoveries, exploration, level design, all top top top class. Worldbuilding and never melded with gameplay so sweetly.

15) Shining Force III - A 3 disk long saga telling a story from multiple viewpoints. Choices you make will come and haunt you later. Shining Force is a solid mix of both RPG and strategy. 3 is by far the best of the bunch. The whole trilogy deserves a PC port/translation.

15) Panzer Dragoon Saga - Shooting and RPG? What a combo! And it works brilliantly. The Panzer series artwork and lore have a unique feel and immense depth. The mix of biotech and steam punk is very very rare. Combat is fantastic, the dragon evolution is loads of fun too. If there's any game that needs an HD Remake it's this.

17) Lunar II Eternal Blue - Delightful cast of characters and a stellar sequel worthy of Lunar The Silver Star Story. I liked the magic levelling system in the Sega CD version, pity that system was dropped in the Saturn version. The game boasted some top quality anime clips

18) Tokyo Jungle - This doesn't look like a JRPG but it really is. It's one of the quirkiest too. Breed your generations wisely and you too can experience the joy of watching a Pomeranian with a shower cap and headphones rip a lion's head off. Stupidly enthralling, not worthy of a spot in the top 10 but highly worth being on everyone's radars.

19) Grandia - The greatest standard RPG battle system bar none and elements of it have been copied to high heck and back. Graphically, it's an amazing feat for its time too. The mix of hand drawn sprites and 3D looks remarkably good even to this day. 3D rarely ages well. This is probably Noriyuki Iwadare's best RPG soundtrack too. This game had a lot of positivity and heart which was a welcome pick me up after I finished FF7.

20) Lost Odyssey - Proof that the one who holds the essence of Final Fantasy is Hironobu Sakaguchi, lovingly referred to now as The Gooch. The game just manages to grab you and take you on a magnificent ride. This game has some of the very best music to come out of Nobuo Uematsu too!

Unranked Honorable Mentions -
- Odin Sphere. Buttonmashers beware. Alchemy and character growth systems are groovy. Art is drop dead gorgeous. Music. Can't get enough of it.
- Sakura Taisen III. You got dating sim in my strategy RPG! And it's glorious! I loved 1 and 2, but some how 3's cast just blew me away. Gameplay is easily the foundation for Valkyria Chronicles too.
- Etrian Odyssey III. Best music in the series and oh what glorious music it is. Great dungeon gimmicks and while subclassing breaks the game in so many ways, the addition of ship exploration and the unorthodox character classes did more than just correct some issues I had with the game.
- Radiant Historia. Best use of time travel I've seen in a video game of any genre(though Singularity does a fantastic job too, but that's an FPS not an RPG!)
- Phantasy Star Online. I've put more hours into this game than any other out there, hands down. But it's going down here because most of what made the game so fantastic for me was playing with friends; something that's too arbitrary to quantify and include in the rankings. If I could, this game would be my #1 3 pointer.
- Suikoden II. 108 party characters and all of them matter? Holy cow! Everything in this game has top notch execution; story, music, characters, battles, what I wouldn't give to see another game in this franchise.

Unranked Honorable Mentions - IDK if these should be in an RPG ranking thread:
- Dungeon Keeper
- Populous III
- Pokémon Conquest

Damn, did not know this years thread existed, pooping up at 4 in the morning here. Excuse my excuse for English at this hour.

1) Planescape: Torment (3 points) - I gave this spot to Deus Ex before, but now I feel like - after both games continue to age - PT has the edge. First because it's strengths lie in the very things that will never age, and to this day uncovering the past of the nameless one continues to be one of my favorite experiences in gaming.

2) Deus Ex - The game blew my mind the first time I played it, and that was not twelve years ago, but in 2011. I love when games let you think you are cheating but they somehow end up repairing themselves. Many games give you freedom about how to tackle tasks, and other games give you freedom in how to shape your tale, after all these years Deus EX is still the best at combining both. But being a 3D shooter, and one more than a decade old, you can't help but see that some mechanics are dated, even if the design is still somewhat revolutionary in this day and age.

3) Final Fantasy IV - This is a clever piece of art from beginning to end. Fuck if i really knew what was going on when I first played, but that didn't stop me from realizing I've seen something like it before.

4) Fallout NV - Like FO3, but with better writing, eh? I'll take one of those. Both FO3 and NV are the best games out that we got from Bethesda and gamebryo and its variants, simply because the emphasis is in shooting, and is well implemented.

5) Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer - the Only substitute out there for the Planescape experience as of right now. If you were left with withdrawal syndrome from that epic, this is your methadone.

5) Knights of the Old Republic -

6) The Witcher - With so many things ready to put off the player, the fact one remain invested with so strong a link to is testament that there is something very special about walking in Geralts shoes and the way the game let's you feel both the weigh of his choices and the consequences of not thinking ahead.

7) System Shock 2 - A shooter or an rpg? well you can fuck up enough your built so that you cannot finish it, so that both says rpg and great game to me.

8) The Witcher 2 - a distilled drink with a similar recipe to that of the first game, flashier, more refined, but even then you somehow miss the original substance. It may be because the witcher formula traps you more after more hours of decisions making, and this game is half as long as the original.

9) Pokemon Gold and Silver -

10) Dragon's Dogma - This game is so fun, man. It is a poor rpg, but hell of a game.

Goddammit, i don't wan to leave Diablo 2 out, but I want to give that spot to System shock 2.

Honorable Mentions:
11) Diablo 2
12) Mass Effect
13) Tales of Symphonia
14) Golden Sun
15) Skyrim
16) Neverwinter Nights 2
17) Deus Ex: Human Revolution
18) Mount & Blade Warband
19) Divinity Original Sin
20) Borderlands 2

Disclaimer: I never finished either of the two Baldur's Gates Games, nor any of the other infinite engine games, despite the fact that I own them all. I don't feel comfortable listing them because except for Baldur's Gate 1, there's not even 9 hours if sum all the time I spent on the rest. Same goes for Soul games.

Violet_0

Banned
I also have quite a few I still need to play. Any tips for where to start would be greatly appreciated:

if you feel like playing the game with the best writing in the industry (and lots of it) and a tedious combat system that drags it down somewhat this would be your pick

Persona 4 Golden
Radiant Historia
Trails in the Sky
Xenoblade Chronicles
Ys (all of them)
?
)
The Witcher 2
Shining Force
Phantasy Star
Don't wanna derail the thread but:
Persona 3: Go for FES. The cinematics and walking around in the game world add a lot. You can't control your party unlike Portable, but it's worth it for the presentation. If you end up going with P3P you should do the Female route your second time through, since it's written really well.
P4 Golden: I'd say play it after P3, but it's up to you.
SMT series: Digital Devil Saga is a spinoff that's really close to final fantasy, but has the gameplay of SMT3 and 4.
If you wanna just jump right in though, SMT3 is fucking rad, and is definitely worth your time.

Jisgsaw

Persona 4 Golden
Radiant Historia
Trails in the Sky
Xenoblade Chronicles
Ys (all of them)
?
)
The Witcher 2
Shining Force
Phantasy Star

For Persona 3, there are two answers: the better version, IMHO, is FES. However, P3P has some additions (like female MC), better gameplay, portability, BUT at the cost of a lot of 3D cutscenes/gameplay, replaced by a VN-like; this tradeof isn't worth it IMHO.

To your list: I only did around the half of the list.
I may be biased, but I'd start with SMT III:Nocturne. If you like it, go to either P3 or P4G, or any SMT for that matter. Every SMT game have very stong atmosphere and usually good gameplay/mechanism.
Then go to Xenoblade.
Radiant Historia next, or maybe The Witcher 2 (you did do the first?).
And finish with Trails in the Sky and Ys.

I didn't do the others, but I'd guess Planescape would be near top of the list (it is on my todo list at least).

Don't wanna derail the thread.

As I see it, it's more or less what this topic is thre for, so no worries.

Tabris

1) Xenogears
2) Suikoden II (3 Points)
3) Final Fantasy VII
4) Xenosaga Episode III
5) Final Fantasy VIII
6) Lufia 2
7) Final Fantasy VI
8) Final Fantasy Tactics
9) Chrono Trigger
10) Mass Effect

Honourable Mentions

11) Valkyrie Profile
12) Vagrant Story
13) Chrono Cross
14) Final Fantasy IV
15) Tactics Ogre
16) Genso Suikoden
17) Shining Force II
18) Phantasy Star IV
19) Lunar 2: Eternal Blue
20) Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne (3)

impact

Banned
1) Dark Souls (3 points) - The only RPG I've beat over 10 times, and one I will keep playing till I stop playing games. Even with the rushed second half, it's still a master piece and a top 5 game ever made.
Oh and also, the only time PvP has ever been good in an RPG. MMOs look like iOS games in comparison.

2) Demons Souls - The game you buy a PS3 for.

3) Final Fantasy IX - Vivi/Steiner. That is all.

4) Chrono Cross - Best OST in any game of any genre of ALL TIME. Also, Glenn is like Cecil on crack.

5) Final Fantasy XI - The only MMO that will ever be worth playing. I don't want to ever play it again though, I just always think of it the way it was before they nerfed everything and made the game baby. Ninja best class of all time in anything.

Main Votes

1. Chrono Trigger (3 points) - This is always going to be my favorite RPG and one I heartily recommend to everyone because it's always going to be my favorite game ever. From the music, to the battle system, to the story, to the multiple endings and replayability through New Game+, it has everything for a person new to RPGs.

2. Final Fantasy VI - My second favorite RPG of all time. Pretty much everything I said about Chrono Trigger applies here. Especially with the second half of the game just going all out in a completely different way than most RPGs. Plus, it's one of the few RPGs where you collect a bunch of characters and have the opportunity to actually use them all.

3. Dark Souls - Of the three Souls games, I still think Dark Souls is the best. It is the right amount of difficult set in an intriguing world where it's fun to explore (and die). They do everything right, from bonfires to the magic system.

4. Shin Megami Tensei IV - Normally I recommend Persona 4 as my SMT, but this year I'm switching it up in favor of the more recent 3DS release. I think, while, Persona 4 is a more accessible game in general, this game is a better introduction to SMT-style games. It's fun, engaging, and not as difficult as previous SMT games.

5. Final Fantasy Tactics - Still an S-Tier SRPG. Even though it has an early difficulty curve, overall I still think it's one of the best games to introduce people to the strategy RPG style play.

6. Fire Emblem: Awakening - An outstanding SRPG, that really refreshes the Fire Emblem formula. I would definitely pair this one (no pun intended) with FFT as the best way to get new players into SRPGs. Plus, with different difficulty options it allows players to play to their comfort level.

7. Alpha Protocol - I've always got to include Alpha Protocol just because of the fact that you don't get many RPGs in this setting. A true blue spy thriller, with choices that actually matter as you navigate difficult decisions and battles. Plus, one of the best boss fights ever.

8. Earthbound - Another unique RPG that's a must-play, just due to the setting. On top of that, the rolling HP counters are an inspired twist on the regular gameplay. The hilarity and strangeness of the game makes it an instant classic.

9. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door - I couldn't really decide which of the Mario RPGs to put on here. I give the edge to this one, just because it's the right length, has great humor, and also Rawk Hawk.

10. Fallout 2 - I always like telling the story of how I sat down at 10 in the morning to play a little Fallout 2 and suddenly it was 10 at night and I hadn't eaten or moved all day. That's how engaging this game is, and is a great example of the isometic RPG setting and also the best place to start in the Fallout world.

Honorable Mentions

11. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4
12. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
13. Fallout: New Vegas
14. Dark Souls II
15. Final Fantasy X
16. Final Fantasy VII
17. Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
18. Vandal Hearts II
19. Mass Effect 2
20. South Park: The Stick of Truth

Unranked HMs
Final Fantasy XII
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Demon's Souls
Radiant Historia

---

I've got Vagrant Story, Suikoden, and Suikoden II downloaded on my PS3 but haven't had a chance to play any of them yet. If I get around to playing them significantly before the final tally date, I may edit my list up. Otherwise this is probably what I'll stick with.

Sentenza

I'm going to sleep, so I should probably just avoid posting until tomorrow...
But since everyone else is doing it, I'll start reserving a post and throwing in a rudimentary list I will update later.

EXTRA NOTE: I'm just throwing in a draft, mentioning the best titles in no specific order. I may even decide to change the ranking tomorrow.

EDIT: I decided to drop the ranking, since for some of these games deciding what it comes on top and what below feels a bit like being forced to decide if you love mom or dad more.

Baldur's Gate 2
This is the full package, guys. There are RPG that offer decent character interaction, good tactical combat, sheer amount of content or the quality of it. Baldur's Gate II delivers in *all* these aspects, managing to look quite pretty as well, and while there may be games that do individual aspects better, if someone asked me which other RPG could match this one in term of overall offering, I would struggle to come out with a proper answer.

Keep the Baldur's Gate formula, put it in a far more interesting and exotic setting, enrich the formula with what's arguably the best writing in gaming (not a particular strong point for BG2, for the record) and... Well, quite frankly make some effort to ruin what used to be an excellent UI and combat system. Torment isn't as big and as polished as BG2, but where it shines, it shines far brighter than the former will ever dream.

Ultima VII
In many ways, still the pinnacle of what you could dream about world building and environmental interaction in a RPG. Ultima VII is now more than 20 years old and a lot of its subsystems have yet to be matched.
The true highlight is probably the massive effort they made with scheduling. A RPG where hundred of characters go on with their everyday routine life was unprecedented back then and in many ways still is, especially because virtually every single character on the map (except some generic guards) isn't a cloned nameless dude being there just as background decoration, but an unique individual with name, job, his/her own unique dialogue tree and sometimes even a proper quest.
The game offers a big world without forgetting to give proper focus to designed content and story. In fact, the opposite is true: in Ultima player agency and non-linearity work to reinforce the narrative. "Oh, character scheduling is just flavor". Really? What if I told you that some characters could change their dialogues according to where you'll talk to them? Speak to a man at work, while he's eating or when the wife is wandering around and you may get different answers from what you would get if you spoke to him alone. The bad news: the combat is complete garbage. Not even button mashing, it's almost literally an automated process

Gothic 2 + Night of the Raven (very important addition)
I've always been in love with Piranha Bytes and some of their philosophies about how to build an RPG. It could be summarized like a 3D take on Ultima, with some of the same principles (only unique characters with unique dialogues, a lot of scheduling and daily routines for each one of them, etc). Except the controls change from point and click to third person, the combat is now action and you will be on your own instead of leading a party.
It's also probably the game that nails the idea of "from zero to (sort of) hero" better than anything else around. The game is pretty damn hard at first, you are a weakling, worthless Mr No One and characters will never stop making you know how little you matter to them. In the first hours of the game everything feels intimidating. Am imposing bully is threatening you to give him money or take a beating? You better believe he has good chances to wipe the floor with out almost effortlessly. You'll have to work hard to gain any status, but the best thing is that most characters will acknowledge when you do. The game has even this interesting concept with itemization where your armors will not be some random loot gathered from corpses, but they will be given to you as a reward to mark your raise in ranking in one of the several factions in the game.

Darklands
Darklands is such an odd beast. The game is built entirely over a fascinating premise: you lead a party of adventurers gathering in a tavern in the medieval Germany with a mutual promise to dedicate your life to achieve greatness.
The historical setting is the first anomaly for the genre, with a quirk twist: Darklands strives to be as historically accurate as possible, except in the game whatever superstition or folklore tale was true for the people at the time, becomes real part of the world. So you'll find yourself interacting mostly with the human society and the wild life, like oppressive landlords, corrupted priests or packs of wolves... Except at some point it may turn out that an entire village is secretly dedicated to worship Satan, witches may hunt you in the wild because you disturbed a Sabbath, Saints may answer your prayers and you may cross evil tricky dwarfs in mines.
I could go on for pages about the systems in place in Darklands, going from the amazing creation/progression system (arguably the best, most deep ruleset ever used for a computer RPG) to the mindblowing clerical and alchemical "magic" systems (which weren't exactly magic; people with good knowledge and high faith and divine favor were able to pray specific Saints for a wide range of buffs -sometimes weirdly specific, like driving away beasts, purifying a tomb, etc- and alchemists were capable of creating chemical mixtures like "molotov" an similar stuff)... But the highlight could probably be the age system.
You had the option to create very young but inexperienced characters or make them go through more professions, starting the game far stronger but older. In the game age had several trade offs.
Very young characters learned skills a lot faster and had no stats degradation, but it was very hard for them to survive. Older ones started with a lot of advantages but their progression was a lot slower and after a while they started suffering from stat degradation. It helped to make all this meaningful in gaming terms that travelling took weeks or months, characters could find jobs that took them busy for days, etc... So it was entirely possible to play a campaign for long enough to see all your original party dying of old age and replace them one by one by new characters.
I still dream about a sequel. Sadly the game was a massive flop for Microprose and on top of that the license seems to be in some sort of legal hell now.

Fallout 2

Dark Souls

Vampire Bloodlines

Space Rangers 2

Jagged Alliance 2

Honorable mentions:
1) Ultima Underworld 1/2
2) Demon's Souls/Dark Souls 2
3) Gothic 1/Risen
4) Temple of Elemental Evil
5) Divinity: Original Sin
6) Deus Ex