• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Essential RPGs 2016 Edition - Voting open until January 15th-

Budi

hey all....

I am looking for recommendations for action rpgs to play. Preferably on Steam but I also have xbox one and ps4.

I like the combat style of realtime fighting vs turn based, if that helps.

Thanks so much!

PS... No bloodborne or dark souls games. I dont like them at all.

Well Witcher 2 and Witcher 3 if you haven't played those yet? Personally I don't think you can get any better than that. Witcher 3 also has two insanely good expansions with great value. Even if Witcher 2 doesn't click with you, Witcher 3 is huge improvement on many fronts. Personally I love the first one too, but I have a feeling you might dislike the combat in that.

Edit: For some reason I was only thinking sword and sorcery type of RPG:s. Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Mankind Divided are also great if you might like Cyberpunk. Also Fallout: New Vegas would be recommended.

Lothar

Banned
hey all....

I am looking for recommendations for action rpgs to play. Preferably on Steam but I also have xbox one and ps4.

I like the combat style of realtime fighting vs turn based, if that helps.

Thanks so much!

PS... No bloodborne or dark souls games. I dont like them at all.

Find a way to play Nier. Get ready for Nier Automata.

Thores

I am so down for a 2017 thread and am also okay with it getting pushed back. Honestly, I'd prefer the thread launch Fall or even Winter 2017, just to guarantee me enough time to beat Persona 5.

I was going to say I could stand to wait a few years before voting again, but there is something tempting about taking the board's temperature in mid-to-late 2017, after the release of (a) Numenera, the last of the big second-gen kickstarter CRPGs and the sequel to a fixture of GAF's top ten; (b) Divinity: Original Sin 2, super-ambitious sequel to one of the crown jewels of the CRPG renaissance; (c) Persona 5, the long-awaited sequel to what has been the most vibrant jRPG series this past decade. Plus I'm sure there is some representative of the modern AAA wRPG strand that I am forgetting.

I suspect Chrono Trigger will be in real danger from two different titles. I may make it a New Year's resolution that I will not speak ill of those games (well, one of them in particular).

Well Witcher 2 and Witcher 3 if you haven't played those yet? Personally I don't think you can get any better than that. Witcher 3 also has two insanely good expansions with great value. Even if Witcher 2 doesn't click with you, Witcher 3 is huge improvement on many fronts. Personally I love the first one too, but I have a feeling you might dislike the combat in that.

Edit: For some reason I was only thinking sword and sorcery type of RPG:s. Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Mankind Divided are also great if you might like Cyberpunk. Also Fallout: New Vegas would be recommended.

played and beat all of those :)

kswiston

I was going to say I could stand to wait a few years before voting again, but there is something tempting about taking the board's temperature in mid-to-late 2017, after the release of (a) Numenera, the last of the big second-gen kickstarter CRPGs and the sequel to a fixture of GAF's top ten; (b) Divinity: Original Sin 2, super-ambitious sequel to one of the crown jewels of the CRPG renaissance; (c) Persona 5, the long-awaited sequel to what has been the most vibrant jRPG series this past decade. Plus I'm sure there is some representative of the modern AAA wRPG strand that I am forgetting.

I suspect Chrono Trigger will be in real danger from two different titles. I may make it a New Year's resolution that I will not speak ill of those games (well, one of them in particular).

Ya, I am heavily leaning towards drifting to an every few years cycle. I have been waiting forever to do a thread with P5 to shake things up, which is why I want to do one next year. After that, there might not be another need for a follow-up until the 10th anniversary of the first thread in early 2020.

With that said, I am almost certainly making a long distance move this coming summer (from Ontario, to Alberta due to my wife's job). As such, late summer/early fall is probably going to be more realistic a timeframe for the 2017 thread. That will give everyone more time to beat RPGs from the first half of the year, but still avoid the glut of games and voting threads that happen in fourth quarter.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Ya, I am heavily leaning towards drifting to an every few years cycle. I have been waiting forever to do a thread with P5 to shake things up, which is why I want to do one next year. After that, there might not be another need for a follow-up until the 10th anniversary of the first thread in early 2020.

With that said, I am almost certainly making a long distance move this coming summer (from Ontario, to Alberta due to my wife's job). As such, late summer/early fall is probably going to be more realistic a timeframe for the 2017 thread. That will give everyone more time to beat RPGs from the first half of the year, but still avoid the glut of games and voting threads that happen in fourth quarter.

If you want to take a long break afterwrads with the voting, it would probably be best to do the vote in 2018 rather than 2017, if you suspect Person 5 will be a very strong contender. The reason bein that some people are very unstable with their opinion and need some time to reflect on a game in order to position it in a way that they are content with their choice over a longer period of time. So, if the voting is right after Persona 5, then we'd end up with a long-standing result that may be skewed by the recent release of one game.

Rongolian

Banned

I have a vision of starting a different thread for when we aren't voting on a top list.

I'd love a "Fantastic RPG's and Why to Play Them" thread that collects little editorials (probably a bit more detailed than what's done in the top 10 here) and pitches the game with screenshots/concept art to someone who may not have played it. OP has a compilation of the editorials for easy navigation, probably broken down into categories: Retro/CRPG/JRPG/WRPG/etc

This way, we still have a yearly(ish) discussion of great RPG's to play without ranking them best to very best!

If you want to take a long break afterwrads with the voting, it would probably be best to do the vote in 2018 rather than 2017, if you suspect Person 5 will be a very strong contender. The reason bein that some people are very unstable with their opinion and need some time to reflect on a game in order to position it in a way that they are content with their choice over a longer period of time. So, if the voting is right after Persona 5, then we'd end up with a long-standing result that may be skewed by the recent release of one game.

High profile RPGs don't stop coming out after Persona 5.

redcrayon

I'm not sure that the timing of the vote needs to be manipulated around Persona 5's release date, dozens of RPGs come out each year. Setting it so that one particular game has the best chance for people to play it and talk about it at a 'peak' time feels a bit like rigging it to me. Couldn't we then also say it should be three months after the western release of DQXI, Ys VIII, Etrian Odyssey V, Mass Effect Andromeda or several other highly anticipated titles? I say that as someone who loved P4G.

kswiston

I'm not sure that the timing of the vote needs to be manipulated around Persona 5's release date, dozens of RPGs come out each year. Setting it so that one particular game has the best chance for people to play it and talk about it at a 'peak' time feels a bit like rigging it to me. Couldn't we then also say it should be three months after the western release of DQXI, Ys VIII, Etrian Odyssey V, Mass Effect Andromeda or several other highly anticipated titles? I say that as someone who loved P4G.

I'm currently thinking more along the lines of 5 months post Persona 5. So some of the loudest hype will already be settling by then. There's no escaping the recency effect altogether though.

As for your listed titles, Ys VIII and EO5 were never going to matter much, regardless of when it came out. The series best for Etrian Odyssey was 75th on the 2015 list for EO4. It wasn't even a top 100 title last year. I don't think Ys even comes close to charting. Mass Effect is likely a March game, so it's getting the exact same "benefit" as Persona 5, as are all first half 2017 releases.

I looked back through the lists to see if there were any patterns of decay in support for recent titles, and the first thing that jumped out at me is Mass Effect 2 starting at 13, then falling to 24, 41, and 45 before suddenly bouncing back into the top 20. I imagine this is a result of turnover in the voting population (or was there a rule change at some point?).

If I were betting on a bounceback candidate for next year, I'd take a close look at Skyrim, which opened at 4 but fell out of the top 50 last year, despite remaining popular on this board and getting a release on multiple major consoles. It profiles pretty similarly to ME2. Plus I think it has a remaster coming out? Or did that already happen?

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Honored to see some quotes from my writeup's made it to the final list. Guess I just have good taste in RPGs =)

And for the final thing I've been working on putting together, I wanted to do a special list.

Since a lot of people wonder about how much things change from one year to another with regards to the rankings, and there's always a question of how well titles will hold up in the long term, I thought it would be neat to have a list that reflects all six years of the rankings. So I've created this new list which tallies up a title's ranking in every year of the Essential RPGs threads, and added them up to see what RPGs fare the best over the whole stretch of time. Since some games weren't out at the beginning, and not every title reaches the list every time, I treated anything that didn't rank as finishing one slot outside of the rankings, which isn't perfect, but it works for this simple purpose.

Here's the Top 100 by this measurement:
1. Chrono Trigger
2. Final Fantasy VI
3. Persona 4
4. Final Fantasy VII
5. Planescape: Torment
6. Baldur's Gate II
7. Mass Effect
8. Demon's Souls
9. Final Fantasy Tactics
10. Final Fantasy IX
11. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
12. Earthbound
13. Suikoden II
14. Valkyria Chronicles
15. Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne
16. Final Fantasy XII
17. Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
18. Final Fantasy X
19. Persona 3
20. Mass Effect 2
21. Xenogears
22. Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal/Heart Gold/Soul Silver
23. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
24. Deus Ex
25. Fallout 3
26. Diablo II
27. Skies of Arcadia
28. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
29. The World Ends With You
30. Mother 3
31. Fallout New Vegas
32. Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride
33. Xenoblade Chronicles
34. Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
35. Dark Souls
36. World of Warcraft
37. Fallout 2
38. Dragon Age: Origins
39. Pokemon Red/Green/Blue/Yellow/Fire Red/Leaf Green
40. The Witcher
41. Chrono Cross
42. Final Fantasy IV
43. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
44. Valkyrie Profile
45. Nier
46. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
47. Final Fantasy VIII
48. Grandia
49. Paper Mario
50. Tales of Symphonia
51. Fallout
52. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
53. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
54. Vagrant Story
55. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
56. Secret of Mana
57. Alpha Protocol
58. Tales of Vesperia
59. Final Fantasy V
60. Fire Emblem 7: Blazing Sword
61. Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
62. Ultima VII
63. Golden Sun
64. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
65. Lunar: The Silver Star
66. Kingdom Hearts
67. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
68. Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer
69. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
70. Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millenium
71. System Shock 2
72. Mario & Luigi: Suuperstar Saga
73. Dragon's Dogma
74. Panzer Dragoon Saga
75. Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
76. Baldur's Gate
77. The Last Remnant
78. Terranigma
79. Bloodborne
80. Baten Kaitos Origins
81. Shining Force II
82. Radiant Historia
83. Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
84. Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
85. Kingdom Hearts II
86. Fire Emblem: Awakening
87. Shadow Hearts: Covenant
88. Dark Cloud 2
89. Divinity Original Sin
90. Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga
91. Lunar 2: Eternal Blue
92. Star Ocean: Second Story
93. Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter
94. Xenosaga Episode III: Also Sprach Zarathustra
95. Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen
96. Suikoden
97. Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals
98. Pokemon Black/White
99. Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean
100. Mount and Blade: Warband

You can see that some titles that haven't been around as long fall by this ranking as they haven't proven their longevity yet, but other titles rise up higher than they were in the most recent list, giving you sort of a snapshot of how people have viewed these games over a longer period of time. This year's two big new debuts, The Witcher III and Undertale, just missed out on the Top 100 based on just a single year, to give something of a frame of reference for what the bottom of the list represents.

Quoting the whole list because it's awesome that you put this together.

This is an awesome list and an amazing retrospective on games that have clearly stood the test of time. For them to be mentioned year in and year out over all these years is pretty fantastic. Looking at the stuff near the top of the list, the top 10 are all games that have been lauded by many people as #1 games every year. Very cool to see the results of this amalgmation.

kswiston

I looked back through the lists to see if there were any patterns of decay in support for recent titles, and the first thing that jumped out at me is Mass Effect 2 starting at 13, then falling to 24, 41, and 45 before suddenly bouncing back into the top 20. I imagine this is a result of turnover in the voting population (or was there a rule change at some point?).

If I were betting on a bounceback candidate for next year, I'd take a close look at Skyrim, which opened at 4 but fell out of the top 50 last year, despite remaining popular on this board and getting a release on multiple major consoles. It profiles pretty similarly to ME2. Plus I think it has a remaster coming out? Or did that already happen?

Voting turnover makes a big difference. This particular version of the essential RPG thread was also down pretty significantly in terms of participation. I typically got around 200 lists posted, but I think this time was closer to 100. One of the aims of next year's thread will be to bump that participation back up again. I have some ideas on how to do that. Simplifying the ballot will probably come into play.

ekimneems

Neo Member
Very upset with the lack of love for Secret of Mana/Seiken Densetsu 2. Really thought that was widely considered to at least be a top 20 RPG (it's a top 5 for me)

kswiston

Returning to this discussion now that another 4 months have passed and I know my schedule a bit better, what are RPG-GAF's preferences for the 2017 thread? Voting starting in May and going into June, or voting starting in August and going into September?

Late June through early August are too busy for me to commit to a work intensive thread. I don't want to leave it much longer than late summer because we have a glut of voting threads in November to January.

Returning to this discussion now that another 4 months have passed and I know my schedule a bit better, what are RPG-GAF's preferences for the 2017 thread? Voting starting in May and going into June, or voting starting in August and going into September?

Late June through early August are too busy for me to commit to a work intensive thread. I don't want to leave it much longer than late summer because we have a glut of voting threads in November to January.

I'd personally go for August to September, since that seems like it should be a pretty quiet period for RPGs. The May to June period will probably see Trails in the Sky the 3rd launching, along with Fire Emblem Echoes, and with Persona 5 having just launched a lot of people won't have had time to play through a full 100 hour game (and to have some time afterwards to gain some perspective on it). Later summer seems like a probable slow period for RPGs (and games in general), which would probably be better for a voting perspective.

Arthea

I'd prefer August-September, this year is insane as far as games go, the later we do it the better, I think.

I'd personally go for August to September, since that seems like it should be a pretty quiet period for RPGs. The May to June period will probably see Trails in the Sky the 3rd launching, along with Fire Emblem Echoes, and with Persona 5 having just launched a lot of people won't have had time to play through a full 100 hour game (and to have some time afterwards to gain some perspective on it). Later summer seems like a probable slow period for RPGs (and games in general), which would probably be better for a voting perspective.

Xseed still haven't said it's delayed, and they are showing it this Friday) meaning spring is a release window, I hope we are getting it in April still, but it could be May.

kswiston

Late summer it is then.

You have 4-5 months to play through any recent releases that you feel might disrupt your personal Top 10 or 20.

Kyonashi

Having just finished NieR Automata and now getting stuck into P5 I'm excited for this. I've played a few RPGs in the time since this list so I'm interested in contributing and seeing the results.

I may need to actually get around to playing Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VII and Earthbound, however... They're basically the 'big three' I've never got around to finishing.

Vecks

Wow, it's almost been 2 years since the last voting. My personal list hasn't changed too much though. The biggest addition for me is Nier Automata. But I haven't had the chance to play Persona 5 yet. I'm also unsure about whether Breath of the Wild is considered an RPG.

Top Bottom