• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's "Let's Watch Anime" OT15: Now Watching - Shiki "Corpse Demon"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Perfect lead-in to Halloween!

sqDW2Vd.jpg

The Goal of the "Let's Watch Anime" thread is to bring together "AnimeGAF" with other members who can appreciate anime (yes, even "casuals") to watch a series together, then discuss and share our reactions towards it at the same time. Participation in each episode is appreciated, but playing “catch-up” by watching multiple episodes at once is normal as everyone has different responsibilities/time to watch anime. Just don’t post on future episodes unspoilered! The more posting about the series and it's events, the more beneficial it is to everyone, so please post up on the good, the bad and the awful; We are all in this together! (no hiding lurkers) We will have a new show selected to watch every two/three weeks and the genre will vary greatly. The shows that will be selected will have met the below criteria:

- Any genre
- Lesser known titles (Dragonball Z, One Piece, Gintama, etc)
- Not already aired on Toonami/Adult Swim
- The shows should try to avoid outrageous and/or sexually offensive themes
- Shows could be good, bad or possibly trash; let's find out together
- Recommendations are always welcomed and appreciated for future viewing
- Let's have FUN with this together! Please participate in the review and discussion!

With that being said, It's time for an adventure, so here we go on a special Halloween Edition!!!

*This show is extremely violent, gory and may contain “jump” scares If you are faint of heart or light-stomached, I probably wouldn’t recommend watching a horror anime such as this one*

a1P0Vk8.jpg

Episodes: 22
Aired: Jul 9, 2010 to Dec 31, 2010
Producers: Aniplex, Dentsu, Fuji TV, DAX Production, Shueisha
Licensors: FUNimation Entertainment
Studios: Daume
Source: Novel
Genres: Mystery, Supernatural, Thriller, Vampire
Duration: 22 min. per ep.
Rating: R - 17+ (violence & profanity)

Synopsis:

Fifteen-year-old Megumi Shimizu dreamed of a glamorous life in the big city; however, her unexpected death in the quiet village of Sotoba marks the beginning of what appears to be a ferocious epidemic that turns the hot summer into a season of blood and terror. A young doctor named Toshio Ozaki begins to doubt the nature of the disease and comes to understand that to discover the truth, he must abandon his humanity. Meanwhile, Natsuno Yuuki, an antisocial youth from the city, is haunted by the sudden death of Megumi and must realize the pain of friendship in the face of his own tragedy. Toshio and Natsuno form an unlikely pair as they work together to save Sotoba before it transforms into a ghost town of vampires.

Shiki, adapted from the horror novel written by Fuyumi Ono, goes beyond the average vampire story. It tells the tragic tale of survival in a world where one cannot easily distinguish between good and evil. Abandoned by God, the Shiki, as the vampires call themselves, have only their will to live as they clash with the fear of the paranoid/unbelieving villagers. Shiki explores the boundary that separates man from monster.

MAL Link:
https://myanimelist.net/anime/7724/Shiki

Available for streaming via Funimation:

Links:
http://www.funimation.com/shows/shiki/videos

gpsIHdg.gif

*Episodes are set for viewing “one a day” over the next three weeks (22 episodes) so we can try to stay together*

A new episode "opens" for discussion each day at 12 am PST:

Open Episodes: 21

Episode 19 opens: 10/28 @ 12am PST
Episode 20 opens: 10/29 @ 12am PST
Episode 21 opens: 10/30 @ 12am PST
Episode 22 opens: 10/31 @ 12am PST

Each following episode opens daily for discussion at 12am PST

Come join me Friends!

0whkqcp.gif

Previous “Let’s Watch Anime” shows:

Humanity Has Declined, Eccentric Family, Sunday Without God, Samurai Flemanco, Blast of Tempest, Kyousougiga, Kids on the Slope, Mirai Nikki, Rosen Maiden, Code: Breaker (literally broke let's watch, lol) Servant x Service, Mazinger Z, and most recently, Moribito; Guardian of the Spirit, Tatami Galaxy

Link to the anime Community thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1286897

*Required ToS Footnote and reminder*

It's simple; Don't talk about it or promote it...

look at GAF-chan’s words of advice:
LVHG7iP.png

I unabashedly like this anime. It has pacing issues, character issues, plot issues, nonsense issues, but when it's on it's on like fucking Donkey Kong and has some legitimately unsettling moments as well as incredibly creepy or cathartic moments.

Stop picking shit I've seen.

This looks interesting. I'm gonna put it on my watchlist. Not to derail but are there any other frightening (in a scary way) anime that anyone could recommend?

Ascheroth

I'm in.
This looks interesting. I'm gonna put it on my watchlist. Not to derail but are there any other frightening (in a scary way) anime that anyone could recommend?
Higurashi
Kagewani Season 1 (but forget that a second season exists).
And possible Gyo (although the manga is most likely better, the OVA is still creepy, disturbing and weird).
You can't go wrong with Junji Itou stuff in general if you're looking for scary and unsettling, but they're all mangas and don't have anime adaptions, with the exception of Gyo.

Szadek

My anime schedule is insane right now, but so am I, so I will also joining in for the fun.
The show has been on my plan-to-watchlist forever anyway.

Aki-at

Not a show I'd recommend but the madness level, especially at the end, is beyond normal comprehension. Hope you lot enjoy it for that at least.

Malyse

It's fun how y'all keep picking stuff I like and remember watching so I can participate in the talking without participating in the watching.

Paltheos

Some of GAF's choices on these have been iffy on quality, but Shiki's fantastic. My one concern is that Shiki's very evenly paced with not allot of major events happening at once for the bulk of the run. It's not slow, as in things aren't happening - But the show revels in setting a mood and atmosphere - Something it does well, but I'm concerned how much of that is up AnimeGAF in particular's alley.

Anyway, Shiki's great. A few people have said that Shiki's one of the few anime that really does horror correctly. I'm not... really an expert on horror, but sure I'll agree with that. >_> Shows like Another are entertaining but don't pull me into the mood it wants at all. Shiki's soundtrack and fantastic artistic decisions really set it apart. It's been about a year(?) since I watched it but allot of the images from it still stick in my mind.

Copper

Episode - 01

So yeah, that was something. Didn't really know what this was about until going in. So basically old people are dying, people moved into this castle in a rural area, and our girl this episode is dead.

It never really explained how she died other than the fact that she went towards the castle. It seems that the point of view is going to shift towards Ozaki next. He seems to know something is up though just by the way he acts.

I can see this anime getting a lot darker and fast.

I'm watching this subbed by the way.

Lol I didn't see this thread so I actually suggested in the anime OT.

It's actually one of the more terrifying (spoilers)
vampire stories
I've seen. The setting of an isolated rural town is perfect for the tale they are trying to tell. The atmosphere is incredibly haunting.

Ascheroth

Episode 1

Well, I'm intrigued. Has a nice sense of mystery, with a few creepy scenes. Found it interesting that this episode was barely about the MC, but it was very interesting regardless. Those pitch-black eyes though.
And I love the opening.

Exalted

Wanted to join this let's watch, since it looked interesting, but i realised halfway through the first episode after lots of deja vu moments that i already watched it, it hit me when the first family member appeared. Might still join for a rewatch , since by the looks i have really bad memory ,
that death near the end of the episode still took me by surprise lol...

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
I'll rewatch some episodes because I'm bad at remembering the pacing.
Contender for must fucked up anime? I'd say yes.

Cornbread78

Well, that certainly escallated quickly! Remote small mountain town, lots of wood, creepy mansion, new strangers in town... Yup, the setup is all there, lol. The female lead is certainly eccentric and I'm interested to see how she was killed already. Looking forward to seeing how off the rails this show gets.

Aki-at

Well, this is for a Halloween lead-in, so hopefully it's entertaining at least.

I'm going to stick around just to read up on everyone's impressions, especially when you hit the mid or late teens.

Felt the series was really strong in the earlier episodes so I'll be fascinated to read if it was just my binging that caused me to dislike it by the end or if there's an overall issue others find with it. Definitely has some great moments in it and themes though!

Copper

Episode - 02

So things are starting to escalate. We learn more about the village. Apparently they are known for making wooden graves? Deaths keep increasing and the Doctor says it might be an epidemic but I think something much worse is on the rise.

Gonna take a guess
I don't think Megumi is actually dead

Ascheroth

Episode 2

I love the atmosphere and sense of unease and mystery in this. It can also be really creepy if it wants to. Those 'eyes' at the end and that headturn *shudder*. Good stuff.
So much death.

Szadek

Episode 1-2
Not a bad start at all. The show certian does a good job at setting up a mystery.
Another thing the show does really well is the eerie atmosphere.

I was very suprised when the girl died, since the anime handled her like an main character, which leads me to belive that she will come back as a ghost or whatever.

Since the Illness seems to be blood related, vampires(or something similar) makes the most sense.
I suppose the name "Corpse Demon" kind of gives it away, because that's pretty accuarte description.

Copper

Episode 1-2
Not a bad start at all. The show certian does a good job at setting up a mystery.
Another thing the show does really well is the eerie atmosphere.

I was very suprised when the girl died, since the anime handled her like an main character, which leads me to belive that she will come back as a ghost or whatever.

Since the Illness seems to be blood related, vampires(or something similar) makes the most sense.
I suppose the name "Corpse Demon" kind of gives it away, because that's pretty accuarte description.

My biggest question is, what kind of vampires are we dealing with? Assuming that's what is happening. I also wonder why no one is questioning the castle.

Ascheroth

Episode 3

Those pitch-black eyes man. Those pitch-black eyes. It's like staring into the abyss.
Another intriguing episode. I like the mix of character introductions and the illness-plot. Masao is ...weird.
The fact that Natsuno feels observed and can't sleep at home surely isn't related to Megumi. Surely not.

Cornbread78

wm3ULWW.jpg

Damn. Death, death EVERYWHERE! All of the villagers are just dropping like flies all of a sudden in the tiny little town. It's all the newbies that moved in, but what kind of creatures are they?

Been meaning to watch this eventually, so decided to join in after hearing about this.

Episode 1-3

A bit of a slow start in 1, but 2 picked up the pace and 3 really started setting everything up. The entire Kirishiki family though, creepy as hell.

Thud

Trying to catch up. Just watched the first episode.

Episode 1
Went in blind except for some gifs. Thought the overall tone would have been more dark and maybe with a filter or something. But this is basically Higurashi meets Twin Peaks or something?

It was a bit unsettling the way the opening played after the intro, like playing piano on a corpse lol. Anyway good first episode. Suprised to see they managed to cover quite a lot in this episode.

Szadek

Episode 3
Not too much happend this episode, except for the introduction of a few more characters.
The certianly seemed interesting , espcailly the character designs.

Cornbread78

Well, these people are just plain weird, which fits perfectly with all the people dying at their hands. That little girl was super creepy on top of everything else. That poor author is sooo dead soon.

Copper

Episode 3-4

Couldn't hold myself back and had to watch the next one.

So things are getting really bad for our MC here. I really like how this show does horror. No jumpscares (at least none yet) but they do a good job a setting up the atmosphere.

Like when they do dark scenes and only show part of person just emphasize the creepy unknown feeling.

I also hope that younger brother dies soon.

love this scene

I've been watching it late at night with headphones, it really is the best way to watch this.

That poor author is sooo dead soon.

I actually think he may be safe for the time being. I mean if she was planning on killing him she could have done it by now multiple times. He's seems to be the reason they are there after all.

Episode 4

You know, despite the pitch-black eyes and ominous discussions about death, the little girl is probably the least creepy out of the probably vampires at the moment. At least she doesn't seem like she wants to kill the author/monk. Compared to the blue-haired guy, and
Megumi
at least.

That goddamn cliffhanger ending though.

Cornbread78

Oh, she finally shows herself and in front of Yuuki too! I guess they are all bring turned into vampires now? Tgat was a nice back creep up to his bed with the head tilt in tact, lol.

Thud

I might have to watch something else, or I'll burn through everything this weekend lol.

Dastardly cliffhangers.

Episode 5

Painful episode. Masao should rename himself to madao. The last scene felt satisfying lol.

Ascheroth

I might have to watch something else, or I'll burn through everything this weekend lol.

Dastardly cliffhangers.

Too late, I already finished it yesterday.

Episode 5

Nooooo, it got
Tooru
. Masao really needs to grow up. Sheesh.
New pieces for the puzzle!
So it looks like everyone is getting a job change shortly before dying. They resign and start 'working' as vampires during the night, 'infecting' more people. I'm thinking they either aren't really dead when they get buried or they 'revive' after that, seeing as
Megumi
clearly is still around.

Copper

Masao is by far one of the most annoying characters I've had the displeasure of watching.

agreed, his awkwardness and design is just so uncomfortable.

Episode 5

One thing I do like about this series is that they know about the existence of Vampires and undead from movies and books. One of my biggest issues with shows like this is when they have know idea what a zombie or vampire is.

It's really hard to hold back watching ahead.

Episode 5

Holy shit Masao, calm down. I'm not quite sure what's the purpose of the episode focusing on an asshole like him that's thoroughly hated by everyone, but it's frustrating when I care more about everything else instead. Seeing as how vampires are lurking about, it probably isn't the last of him either.

Cornbread78

Lol, love how that asshole got he deserved at the end of it all. He's out there raising a fuss everyone then got jacked at his back door, lol.

This show has been much better than I thought it would be up to this point.

Ascheroth

Episode 6

Aaaand Vampires confirmed. Liked how Natsuno is now starting to get into contact with the other 'major players', the doctor and Seishin. The former was (understandably) getting pretty irritated and angry at his inability to figure things out, but Natsuno might have given him a kickstart at the end there. Exciting.

Thud

Already finished, but for the sake of discussion I'll continue posting.

Episode 6

Served Megumi well. Natsuno finally figured it out and even let Toshio think about it.

These vampires would have gotten away with, if it weren't for those meddling kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom