• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NEOGAF's Official Music Production Thread: calling all producers

For you FL users in here, when it comes to drum patterns can you create a beat using the step sequencer but route each instrument (kick, snare, etc) to its own track for independent processing/mixing?

Chemo

Outdoor Miner said:
For you FL users in here, when it comes to drum patterns can you create a beat using the step sequencer but route each instrument (kick, snare, etc) to its own track for independent processing/mixing?
Yep, absolutely.

Anyone with any good tips for recording vocals in apartment/bedroom setup? She's a pretty good vocalist, and she sounds good already, but we haven't really done anything beyond sitting her on a couch with a mic in her hand.

Recording some more tonight- gonna get her to stand up, use the mic stand and get into it like a real rock star.

I guess the thing is that I'm not really using any creativity with regards to 'isolating' the sound in the room. I feel like I should have at least a walled-off area or something. Or does that really matter that much?

What experiences do you guys have with recording vocals?

pirahna1

Outdoor Miner said:

You bet. Just go into the channel settings and you can change the instrument to any of the ~64 (i think) mixer channels. You can route as many instruments to a single channel as you want, and also mix down channels to ANOTHER channel for a mix bus type of layout.

FL's mixer is THE MOST VERSATILE mixer I've yet to come across. I love it.

For you Reason users, Propellerhead have been revealing a new feature for version 5 each day this past week here. Apparently if you purchase 4 right now you get the 5 upgrade for free. Pretty cool.

Any of you see the group buy currently going on for IK's Sampletank? For $50 you get Sampletank 2.5 XT w/ 1GB of samples, an expansion pack, and 6 additional libraries. I am so biting on this. Info here.

Yasae

Banned
Whoompthereitis said:
Anyone with any good tips for recording vocals in apartment/bedroom setup? She's a pretty good vocalist, and she sounds good already, but we haven't really done anything beyond sitting her on a couch with a mic in her hand.

Recording some more tonight- gonna get her to stand up, use the mic stand and get into it like a real rock star.

I guess the thing is that I'm not really using any creativity with regards to 'isolating' the sound in the room. I feel like I should have at least a walled-off area or something. Or does that really matter that much?

What experiences do you guys have with recording vocals?
Dynamics tend to pick up less ambience, but I'd still use packing blankets and any thick material to tame the slapback of drywall. The low end resonances will be most exaggerated the closer to the edges and corners of the walls you get (they're pretty fucking ugly sounding) so try to stay at least a foot away.

Some mics really clasp off ambience, however. John Mayer recorded all of the vocals for Continuum in the control room of (what's now Avatar Studios) on an SM7b, for example. That mic sounds good even outside its price range (~$350) and it doesn't pick up much room noise.

Yasae said:
Dynamics tend to pick up less ambience, but I'd still use packing blankets and any thick material to tame the slapback of drywall. The low end resonances will be most exaggerated the closer to the edges and corners of the walls you get (they're pretty fucking ugly sounding) so try to stay at least a foot away.

Some mics really clasp off ambience, however. John Mayer recorded all of the vocals for Continuum in the control room of (what's now Avatar Studios) on an SM7b, for example. That mic sounds good even outside its price range (~$350) and it doesn't pick up much room noise.

Wow, I actually have that fuckin' mic. I've used it a lot for recording instruments, guess I should try out some more vocals with it.

Thanks for the advice.

Outdoor Miner said:
For you Reason users, Propellerhead have been revealing a new feature for version 5 each day this past week here. Apparently if you purchase 4 right now you get the 5 upgrade for free. Pretty cool.

Any of you see the group buy currently going on for IK's Sampletank? For $50 you get Sampletank 2.5 XT w/ 1GB of samples, an expansion pack, and 6 additional libraries. I am so biting on this. Info here.

Oh god, Reson 5 looks BEAUTIFUL.
Live sampling? FUCK YES. Thats all I need, hate using ReCycle.
And the new Dr. Rex looks BITCHIN.
I'll buy it at a high price, Propellerhead.

Dartastic

So, I'm starting to try and teach myself how to create electronic music, sorta. I say sorta because I really want to learn how to sample well and create some of the sounds that you'll hear in stuff like Flying Lotus, Crystal Castles, and the like, but I really have no idea where to start. Gotta be able to sample decently to start.

For example. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJhgsrqTzSk That song. Some of the stuff in the undercurrent is really, really awesome. I want to be able to do stuff like this. I have Ableton and Reason 4, so I should be able to pull this off, if armed with the knowledge. I just need some good tutorials on how to sample decently, and really change the sound of something that I'm sampling. Um, yeah. Any advice would be super helpful. Also, I have a TC Electronic Desktop Konnekt 6. I hate it. I want to be able to plug my guitar in and have it sound decent. It never does. Neither do my vocals, IMO. What are some good, cheap audio interfaces that I can get, after I get rid of this piece of junk? Helppppppp! Pleeease! :D

In exchange... the only song I've ever finished. Well, finished enough to just drop it and not fine tune to oblivion. =p http://soundcloud.com/dartastic/run

For my audio interface I'm going with Native Instruments Audio Kontrol 1. It has dropped in price to $199 and NI started a sale just yesterday running thru the month of June that will allow an upgrade/crossgrade to Kontakt 4 for $130 if you have Keyboard Collections (which comes bundled with the Audio Kontrol 1).

So for roughly $330 I get
Audio Kontrol 1 (arguably one of the best USB interfaces)
Voucher for free download for 1 of Abysnth, FM8, Massive, Guitar Rig 4 Pro ($199 value)
Kontakt 4 ($379 value alone)

I'm hard.

Oh and for those of you that have NI instruments already, here's the link to the 50% off sale.

http://www.native-instruments.com/e...dium=email&utm_campaign=kickstart+your+summer

Chemo

I don't know how many of you are interested in doing music as more than a hobby, but I've been doing a lot of reading as I prep my label and my releases, and I came across this article, which I found incredibly insightful.

http://www.kk.org/thetechnium/archives/2008/03/1000_true_fans.php

It put a few things into perspective for me, so I hope it benefits some of you, too.

On a music note, I just finished up my second record of the year, and I'm exceptionally pleased with it. The entirety of it is available here:

Chemo Castronovo's DEIMOS.

kid ness

Hey Music-production GAF!

I've flirted with making my own music for the past few years, and I've just decided that I really want to do it. So, I came here and decided to ask for advice- because GAF seems to know something about everything. Please excuse my little knowledge on this topic.
I need a microphone to record myself on piano, guitar, and vocally. I'm assuming there are some that plug directly into the computer via USB?
I have a piano at home that I play and would like to record. Would I be better off with a keyboard that plugs into the computer? (if such things exist)
I also need cheap music production software; isn't Fruity Loops' license like 800$ or something crazy like that?
I have about $400 I could spend altogether, if necessary. If you guys could please recommend me these things, it would make my life a lot easier.
Thanks in advance GAF.

Alucrid

Banned
Ok GAF, I have no clue what I'm doing so I come to you for help..again. If I want to get started, what's the bare minimum that I would need? Mainly for making electro songs and what not.

pirahna1

Alucrid said:
Ok GAF, I have no clue what I'm doing so I come to you for help..again. If I want to get started, what's the bare minimum that I would need? Mainly for making electro songs and what not.

A DAW, that's about it. All DAWs come with softsynths and can be controlled via your keyboard (ex. 'a' will play a C3, or something to that effect).

I'd recommend FL Studio to start off with. It's the cheapest of the bunch and I think the easiest to learn on.

So as a laptop musician with a few misc acoustic things (snare drum, bongos, glockenspiel) what am I looking at needing to be ready for gigs? How do I even go about getting gigs at small venues anyway? Just ask them if I can play there for free? :lol

Chemo

Wow, I got banned for a month (IGA-related) and there were only four posts since my last one? Music-GAF must be having a busy summer. :) I finally finished and officially released my new record, now called Mars, as it's a compilation of both Phobos and Deimos.

Chemo Castronovo's MARS.

2010MarsI-Phobossmallerer.png

Section I. Phobos.

01 This cloud cover prevents all relevant senses. (2:30)
02 A tumble at the juniper following omnipotence. (2:35)
03 Sailing ships, disabling functions as necessary. (2:00)
04 Pressed against me in queue; I can sense your abandon. (2:03)
05 Just over the median. (1:39)
06 Seas as blue as the red was yellow. (2:31)
07 And the spirits weren't spirits at all. (3:21)
08 Trinkets disappearing at the cusp of obsolescence. (1:39)
09 As I had you, I will have you again. (2:37)
10 Seasons in absentia. (2:52)

Section II. Deimos.

11 Burn the bridges and poison the well. (3:14)
12 Lunar reignition: hand in hand. (2:37)
13 Spectre spectre, lost in the miasma. (2:16)
14 Mending the fence that no longer separates us. (3:11)
15 Transgressions escaping once-trusted lips. (2:41)
16 This is progress stunted by mundanity. (3:32)
17 Rendering the summit. (4:08)
18 Good night. (3:54)

Total running time: 51:11

It's available at my website, http://www.monolithmanufact.com, free of charge in 320kbps MP3 form. Please feel free to download it, and of course, any feedback is appreciated.

Hope you've all had a good run creatively since I've been gone.

pirahna1

Fusebox said:
'
It truly is. Awesome pre's, awesome DAC's .

But it's made by NI, who abandon some of their products into vaporware, which isn't the best sign.

I'd get a Focusrite, or an Apogee if I had the money. I'd wanted the AK1 for the longest time, till I researched other options. I'm pretty set on a Focusrite atm. I heard their pre's were much better, but you never can tell until you demo in person, amirite? :D

Fusebox

Banned
pirahna1 said:
But it's made by NI, who abandon some of their products into vaporware, which isn't the best sign.

Eh? They've been carrying their big brands since the dark ages. Reaktor, Kontakt, Absynth, Massive, FM etc.

I currently own Absynth, Massive, FM8, Pro-53 and Guitar Rig 4 and the support has been terrific.

pirahna1

Fusebox said:
Eh? They've been carrying their big brands since the dark ages. Reaktor, Kontakt, Absynth, Massive, FM etc.

I currently own Absynth, Massive, FM8, Pro-53 and Guitar Rig 4 and the support has been terrific.

Maybe that wasn't the best way to put it. But I've heard enough bad things about the NI AK1 to look away from it and towards better interfaces. I mean, if you REALLY want the softsynth bundle (Massive, FM, Absynth, etc) then it could be a good deal. But if you're looking for sound, I'd look elsewhere. IMO.

hoverX

Thinking about getting into making some music (hip hop mostly). I have a mac, should i jump right in and start using Logic express/studio or should i fuck around with garage band first for a bit?

Dartastic

I also put this in the Electronic music thread, but yea. Question about making an effect in Ableton. So, at about 42, 43 seconds into this video, there's this really cool effect where Flying Lotus basically stops everything and beat repeats a segment really fast. Is that actually what's going on? If so, what's the best way to perform it? It also sounds like he might be turning down the entire mix then turning up another part that's making that sound. I'm not so sure, however. I hoped maybe some of you more experienced guys would know. I also have a soundcloud that I've slowly been putting stuff on, if anyone is interested. http://soundcloud.com/dartastic/

Drakken

So I recently upgraded from FL Studio to Pro Tools, and as a result I've been much more inspired to work on music lately. It's what I think about/do almost 24/7, and I'm loving it. Still got a TON to learn about mixing and production and whatnot, but I'm slowly learning.

Here's a very loose arrangement of part of the main level theme + credits to Hebereke / Ufouria (an NES game):

http://tindeck.com/listen/qdgg

I made it using the Mini Grand in Pro Tools. It's got a very spacey sound I love; makes me think of Space Junk Galaxy from SMG.

IMACOMPUTA

Yasae said:

Wow. I knew I loved that mic.
My college had them in their broadcast studios and i used it to record vocals on "How About You" on my music page.
I always wanted to pick one up.

Oh, and tell me what you think about my stuff.

erm hi gaf.

so i bought a mic for a friend to use, they wanted to buy a crappy cheap pc mic from pc world to record music with, but i had to be a smart twat and tell them to get a proper mic, so i went online and got them the behringer c-1 studio condenser mic.

i bought the xlr - stereo jack converter as well with it, thinking that was enough, however now i have egg on my face as it needs some kind of power supply or "pre-amp" or maybe both, not sure.

can some musicians or fellow technical nerds advise me on what exactly to get? i'm pretty screwed here.

thought this would be an appropriate thread, however if theres a better one it would be much appreciated if someone could direct me to it.

Fusebox

Banned
pirahna1 said:
I've heard enough bad things about the NI AK1 to look away from it and towards better interfaces.

You've been lied to, the AK1 is brilliant. Cirrus Logic DACs at 192khz.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar07/articles/niaudiokontrol.htm

"As a four-channel audio interface, the Audio Kontrol 1 might seem a bit pricey, but for the extra money you get audio quality that is significantly better than any USB interface I've used. "

okno

Does anyone know of any virtual keyboards that can be used with Reason? I recently moved to New York and had to leave behind my synth and keyboard behind, so all I can really do is loops and drums, and it's getting a little boring.

EDIT!!! Reason 5 has the ability to use your keyboard as a keyboard. I just stumbled upon it while tinkering around with the demo! The only thing that sucks is, at least so far as I can tell, it's not good for use with the Kong, because it only lets you play seven of the bottom eight pads (AWS=1, ED=2, etc.) which is lame, but I'm sure there's a way to fix that.

Why can't Reason 4 have this ;_;

BobDylan

Alright GAF well im currently taking classes in recording production. we had to do a project today testing different mic placement. I ended up just creating a rough draft of a song I wrote 2 days ago. I also put drums in it which I have been playing for a whole 2 days so they are not the best so please bare with me. just posting here to see what you guys think the song as of now. its about one of my best friend who literally went insane a few years back and stopped talking to me and a few other close friends.

Listen here and tell me what you think

edit: this is certainly not the finished copy. pretty much just the audio files alone that I recorded today

I just discovered this, and it's like the coolest thing in the world:

Sonic Charge Synplant

soniccharge-synplant-460-80.jpg

It's a synthesis VST based on the idea of growing synthesized plants from seed sounds, which can branch out into new sounds. You actually create the seeds using a visualizer modelled on DNA. Sounds weird, but it makes sense once you see it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PifZZ2TUw_g

I know what I want for Christmas now.

HappyBivouac said:
Looks like a fun toy. How much are they charging for that?

The MSRP is around $100. Which is why I say it would be a good Christmas present. More than you'd want to spend for a VST yourself, but like you say, a fun toy.

Top Bottom