• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neon Genesis Evangelion |OT| You Must (Not) Run Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

munchie64

F22EO6X.png

CZh7HOn.png

What is this?
Neon Genesis Evangelion is a drama mech anime produced by studio Gainax and Hideaki Anno in 1995. The show takes many anime tropes and plays them both straight and flipped with a cast of developed, relatable and most importantly, human characters. It ranges in tone from a light-hearted action series to an arthouse style introspective narrative. The show’s striking imagery and use of religious mythology is also part of its 26 episode package.

The original show was extremely popular and influential and has launched a multimedia franchise. Fans often refer to it as NGE, Evangelion, Eva or “what the fuck did I just watch?”

That's nice and all, but what is “NGE” about?
15 years after a near apocalyptic event, giant monsters known as the “Angels” have begun to attack the city of Tokyo-3. Seemingly the only thing that can fight them are massive robots developed by the mysterious company “NERV” – The “Evangelions”.

The problem is that the only ones who can pilot the Evangelions are 14 year old children. These kids aren’t exactly the most well put together, and NERV has plenty of secrets of its own...

Say I’m interested. How can I get into this?
Unfortunately, the official route is rather difficult at this time. The rights for the original series within the US are in a strange place and so there hasn’t been a DVD release since the mid-2000s (currently rather out-of-print). No streaming services offer it up and the most recent Japanese Blu-ray will set you back about $300 USD (and it has no English subtitles). The original movies that follow the series are even more difficult to come across – and never had a decent release in the first place!

Other franchise material is fairly easy to find. The manga is still in print in the west and the Rebuild movies are available on DVD and Blu-ray.

Rebuild movies? What are they?
The Rebuild of Evangelion is the theatrical “retelling” of the original show. It started in 2007 and currently has three films (the latest released in 2012) with a fourth coming sometime in the future. While they aren’t really a great introduction to the series, meant to spin the original story in a different direction, they are a good jumping off point for those short on time.
L0rOedZ.png

IxaGI9O.png

Shinji Ikari
Pilot of Evangelion Unit-01. After being abandoned by his father at a young age, Shinji developed severe issues in getting close to people. This is made especially problematic when he is forced to pilot an Eva Unit at the behest of his dad.
8XRA36c.png

Rei Ayanami
Pilot of Evangelion Unit-00. Rei has a quiet and understated personality, but is not quite as unemotional as she may appear on the surface. Her past is as mysterious as she is.
uBaRBfQ.png

Asuka Langley Sohryu
Pilot of Evangelion Unit-02. Energetic, overbearing and extremely prideful, Asuka is a child prodigy who tries to be the best at everything. There may however, be more to her brash personality than one might assume.
wxWrdEO.png

Misato Katsuragi
Director of Operations at NERV. Part sloppy drunk, part professional commander and part sexual deviant. Misato often offers guidance to those around her in battle and in life, although she has problems of her own.

Other Franchise Characters:
Gendo Ikari | Ritsuko Akagi | Ryoji Kaji | Kozo Fuyutsuki | Mari Makinami Illustrious
5VpCm00.png

Toji Suzuhara | Kensuke Aida | Hikari Horaki | Pen Pen | Kaworu Nagisa
wKIJgBI.png

The Original 26 Episode TV series (1995-1996)
Here is a trailer produced by American dubbing company ADV to give you an idea of what to expect (that music is used in the show). Here is the show’s opening.
HmKJmUw.png

Episodes 21-24 have director’s cuts that add additional, important scenes and have slight animation fixes. It’s generally recommended that these are the versions watched.

The Original Films (1997)
Two films were released after the series had finished airing. Death & Rebirth is a recap/clip show movie, made up mostly of old footage. There is some great new stuff involving characters playing instruments though. The End of Evangelion serves as a second finale to the series and is a must watch for anyone wanting more. Here is the Japanese Trailer for the film. It contains no footage from the movie, and is very strange.

The 14 Volume Manga (1994-2013)
Made in tandem with the original TV series, a slow schedule caused the manga by Yoshiyuki Sadamototo to finish long after the show even though it started earlier. This story is considered a separate continuity that has a similar synopsis, but different plot and character developments. It’s considered more “shonen”, being less artsy and more light-hearted (although still fucked up).
xASxePf.png

The Rebuild Movies (2007-????)
A (possibly) four film retelling of the series made with a modern context. More than just beautiful updated animation, the series takes many different turns in plot and character and will probably end very differently to the original series and movies. The films are:
Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone | Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance | Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo
iDlqpa4.png
QjM5zpe.png
K2EBnhv.png

Short Films (2014-2015)
For Hideaki Anno's and Studio Khara’s Animator Expo, a few short films taking inspiration from Evangelion have come around. These are mostly to show off animation or directorial ability, so don’t expect many deep story connections. These aren’t hosted on the Expo site anymore, but are easy to find if you go looking:
–until You come to me (Tadashi Hiramatsu) – An interesting take on events set after the third Rebuild film. With no dialogue, the message (whatever it may be) is conveyed through the visuals.
–evangelion:Another Impact (Confidential) (Shinji Aramaki) – A fully CG short. In another place and at another time, a new Eva Unit is activated and things go terribly wrong.
–Neon Genesis IMPACTS (Yūhei Sakuragi) – Depicts some of the events of Tokyo-3 (in the Rebuilds) through the eyes of a schoolgirl idol group. Shit gets dark. The Love Live character designer gives the characters looks unique to Eva.
Links to the films' pages (which include credits and behind the scenes stuff) on the Expo site:

Video Games (1996-????)
They’re all Japan only, so I won’t go into too many of them.
–1st Impression (Sega Saturn, 1996) – A non-canon side story featuring RPG elements, but mostly plays with newly animated FMVs.
–2nd Impression (Sega Saturn, 1997) – Similar to the previous game. Features a new, original character.
–Girlfriend of Steel (Windows, 1997) (Windows, Mac, PS2, 2006) (PSP, 2009) – An alt-universe visual novel/dating sim featuring a new, original character.
–Neon Genesis Evangelion (Nintendo 64, 1999) – A combat RPG focusing on the battles throughout the series.
–Neon Genesis Evangelion 2 (PS2, 2003) (PSP, 2006) – Similar to the previous except containing more story elements, covering the entire series.
–Shinji Ikari Raising Project (Windows, 2004) – A simulator focusing on Shinji in a more “slice of life” situation.
–Girlfriend of Steel 2 (Windows, Mac, PS2, PSP 2005) – A spiritual sequel to the first. A visual novel/dating sim that takes place in an alternative, fully slice of life universe.
–Evangelion: Battle Orchestra (PS2, 2007) (PSP, 2009) – An aracde fighting game featuring every Evangelion and Angel featured in the series.
–Evangelion 3nd Impact (PSP, 2011) – A rhythm music game based on the Rebuild films.

Other Stuff (1995-The End of the World)
Merchandising and spin-offs. There’s a lot of it:
–After the End Audio Drama – The characters of NGE attempt to find a way to reboot the show with a larger audience. Hilarity ensues.
yMCPINB.png

While there shouldn’t be any need for spoiler tags unless something new comes out, please be considerate to any newbies that come in here.
If there’s any stuff you think I should add/remove from here, feel free to say so.

OOT2PCq.png

Fly me to the moon and let me play among the stars…

Amazing OT. Just wanted to say that!

EVA is just such a pop culture force of nature. Can't wait for 4.0 to come out so I can finally see it all in one long run.

Sweet OT. Subscribed, you'll most likely see me pop in here and there, Eva's been a pretty big part of my life since I was young, like the old adv VHS tape days lol

xam3l

Just going to drop this on the first page.

I liked the rebuilds better than the show. And 3.33 is my favorite.
Yes. It really is.

munchie64

Some extra things:

Evangelion Audio Drama:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvLfQSoVhrM

A special tourist map of Hakone showing the locations of Tokyo-3. Made for 1.11
Thank you. After the End is amazing.
I love Eva, I hate Asuka, I need to rewatch this at some point, it's been many years.
At least she has depth. Rei is just a human doll for otaku to project their feelings onto.
I already regret making this thread.

Scarecrow

Wow, what a timely coincidence. I just started a rewatch. I haven't seen it since, like, before 9/11.

For these recent movies, I know they are titled something like 1.0, 2.0,... but I also see 1.11, 2.22.... What's the deal with the numbering?

At least she has depth. Rei is just a human doll for otaku to project their feelings onto.
She's at least pretty much the nicest person to Shinji. Everyone else either just uses him, manipulates him or toys with his feelings. When Rei was getting some depth they killed that clone off and replace her with Rei 3. I actually think Rei does have feelings and depth she's just not sure of how to display or understand them.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I haven't read the manga. How different is it from the anime? I heard the ending has a lot of differences.

munchie64

I haven't read the manga. How different is it from the anime? I heard the ending has a lot of differences.
It arranges the order of events a bit differently, there are less Angels, Asuka isn't featured as much, Kaworu is featured more, it's a little more lighthearted and the very end is quite a bit different (if I remember right, it ties a bit into the Rebuilds cause they were coming out as it ended).

So similar in most ways, but different enough.
Wow, what a timely coincidence. I just started a rewatch. I haven't seen it since, like, before 9/11.

For these recent movies, I know they are titled something like 1.0, 2.0,... but I also see 1.11, 2.22.... What's the deal with the numbering?
Those just mean that they're the director's cuts. Same movies for all intents and purposes. I think the only English releases are those?

I'm guessing there's no way to obtain the EoE movie without paying a pretty penny...

It's the only thing I haven't watched sadly.

Guess Who

Banned
Asuka's probably the best-written character in the whole cast. I can understand not finding her particularly likable but she's a damn good character.

Great show. My first down the rabbit hole anime experience was seeing Pen Pen fan fiction on the Internet in the late 90's... Scared me a lot.

Asuka's probably the best-written character in the whole cast. I can understand not finding her particularly likable but she's a damn good character.
She went from sexually confused mood whiplash pain in the ass badass, to broken to dead. The reasons for her being the way she was all made sense, but she just really annoyed me. Maybe I'll like her again on a rewatch. I've seen the show about 3-4 times and I don't "hate" her hate her, I just don't exactly get the amount of love she gets.
Love the series, the manga, rebuild. Everything

Here's hoping 4.0 hits soon
Punished Godzilla will be the final Angel.

Replicant

One thing I notice is different from Rei in the Rebuild is that her self-preservation instinct is way way higher than it ever did in the original series/movies. Her first instinct when Asuka was self-destructing her EVA to stop Rei's own was to eject herself out of the pilot seat. Old Rei would just sit there while crying about her fate.

One thing I notice is different from Rei in the Rebuild is that her self-preservation instinct is way way higher than it ever did in the original series/movies. Her first instinct when Asuka was self-destructing her EVA to stop Rei's own was to eject herself out of the pilot seat. Old Rei would just sit there while crying about her fate.
That's one thing I really like about Rei in Rebuild, she's actually a person. One of my favorite moments was when she was preparing for the dinner she was trying to have with Gendo and Shinji. She cut her hands up cooking, but never gave up. I think there's an actual natural sweetness to Rei that the original series opted to never pursue. She actually can be nice, but they just kept portraying her as this emotionless thing. I only really remember one scene in the early episodes where Shinji catches her speaking to Gendo and she's all nice and happy doing it. I honestly just think Rei's problem was that nobody gave a fuck about her and she thought her life was meaningless. Hell even the first Rei had a personality. She was a blunt ass bitch that got chocked the fuck out, but she had an actual personality.

munchie64

What's with these angels contaminating the Evas by touching them all the sudden?
There's a general idea of the Angels getting smarter as the series progresses, and what better way to fight your enemy than to turn them?
She actually can be nice, but they just kept portraying her as this emotionless thing..
Gonna have to disagree there. Hell near the start, she slaps Shinji for talking shit about Gendo. And her development makes her, more and more complex as things go on.

During the fight with the 13th Angel for instance, she hesitates attacking because of the circumstances, despite being ordered to. This is 100% emotion based.

Sianos

Excellent OP! Posting to subscribe, and cheers to 4.0!

Looking forward to some great discussion about the deep and multifaceted characters.

Vic_Viper

Did they ever actually finish the rebuild films? It's been years since the 3rd and it still didn't feel like an ending. I think I read they put off 4 until after Godzilla was finished.

There's a general idea of the Angels getting smarter as the series progresses, and what better way to fight your enemy than to turn them?

Gonna have to disagree there. Hell near the start, she slaps Shinji for talking shit about Gendo. And her development makes her, more and more complex as things go on.

During the fight with the 13th Angel for instance, she hesitates attacking because of the circumstances, despite being ordered to. This is 100% emotion based.
Ok good, I'm not the only one that thinks she has emotions. For some odd reason I forgot about these. I do know she's very defensive regarding Gendo until the End of Evangelion where she just hand jacks his ass. So why exactly do people think she's an emotionless doll then? I never did agree with that fan assessment of her.
Took 7 posts for the strongest of waifu wars to begin.
It was inevitable.

munchie64

Damn, I thought this was the title of Rebuild 4.x
Maybe I should've avoided the Rebuild naming scheme :p
Ok good, I'm not the only one that thinks she has emotions. For some odd reason I forgot about these. I do know she's very defensive regarding Gendo until the End of Evangelion where she just hand jacks his ass. So why exactly do people think she's an emotionless doll then? I never did agree with that fan assessment of her.
Ah. I agree then.

I keep on meaning to watch nge, i've had it bookmarked for ages. I guess this is the universe telling me to go ahead and do it. Also if anyone else is looking foe where to watch the original anime i suggest here or here
edit: also this beautiful comment from kissanime:

"Evangelion is beautiful. It is a masterpiece of loneliness and devastation, of lost hope and lost love, of children who are forced to grow up too fast, of men who are too fond of playing god.

There are no heroes in Evangelion, nor are there villains.
There are only humans, misguided and mistaken, yet righteous and justified.
They make mistakes, they choose correctly, they lose, they win, they live, and they die.

One cannot understand others, because it is not possible to understand one's self, and if you cannot understand yourself, you who knows the most about you, how could you understand another?

No, one cannot understand others, no matter how much we might want to, because we are humans, and humans are fallible.

We cannot understand others.

But that doesn't mean we can't try."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom