• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Classic Edition discontinued in Australia, Italy

Guess that's true for the rest of Europe as well.

Link.

The end of the NES Classic Edition truly is a worldwide affair. It started out with Nintendo of America stating that production is ending in the states this month. Over in Japan, the Famicom Mini is also coming to an end – for now at least, but likely permanently.

We have news about two other regions as well. In Australia and Italy, Nintendo is providing the following statement:

“We can confirm that we are no longer manufacturing the Nintendo Classic Mini: Nintendo Entertainment System. If production resumes in the future, an update will be posted on the official Nintendo website.”

So that’s pretty much it, folks. It’s looking the end is here for the NES Classic Edition / NES Mini / Famicom Mini. That decision won’t many sense to many, but that’s where things stand now.
Never even got to see it in stores.

Kyari

The only places I ever saw them were used goods stores marking them up to double (now quadruple) their price.

entremet

This is hardcore gaming forum and has anyone actually seen this shit in store shelves?

I never had. Not even once. I wanted to get one and expected them to address the stock issues. Not anymore and I refuse to pay scalper prices.

Freaking, Nintendo.

gngf123

This is hardcore gaming forum and has anyone actually seen this shit in store shelves?

I never had. Not even once. I wanted to get one and expected them to address the stock issues. Not anymore and I refuse to pay scalper prices.

Freaking, Nintendo.

Yep, I've never seen them stocked here either. Completely ridiculous.

Dommel

Freaking, Nintendo.

I bought my European model off the shelves here in Belgium, picked up a second one for my colleague as well.

When I was in Hong Kong last December i bought the Japanese model off the shelf as well at a reasonable price.

They were hard to get but not exactly unicorns if you paid attention after launch.

Ekid

Not surprising.

It was just destined to maintain Nintendo brand awareness during the holiday, now that the Switch is out it served his purpose.

CryptiK

Freaking, Nintendo.
They never were, online only.

ggx2ac

Freaking, Nintendo.

I saw it once, was thinking of buying but I didn't like the idea of using short wired controllers.

The only thing I would have done is buy the Famicom Classic just to collect it.

Freaking, Nintendo.

I never saw it either. And I looked. I never even saw tags on shelves and the empty space where they should have been. I have never seen any evidence of them in stores. If another story came out a month from now that said every single NES Classic was preordered and delivered directly to consumers and bypassed retail stocking entirely, I would believe it.

(I'm an American, though.)

Atolm

I didn't even see one in stores ever. It's like an urban legend at this point lol.

And it was never available at my Amazon branch either.

StarVigil

Can't be criticized for having low stock if you just stop production.
b8KNU5u.jpg

KaYotiX

Banned
Eh, i wanted it to have it cause it looked cool but in all honesty it would have been collecting dust months ago if i did buy it.

Grassy

What was the retail price in Australia? I checked Ebay and the Buy It Now prices range from $250-$500, with a few at $1000+...

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
wtf nintendo? i really want one of these but they are going for crazy money. they are supposed to cost £50 but range anywhere from £75-500 on amazon.

CLEEK

Freaking, Nintendo.

There were a stack of them in JB Hi-Fi when they first released, and still on the shelves when I went to my local store to preorder my Switch. They had a big shipment earlier in the month, too, no doubt the last of the untits that were shipped here.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I still can't fathom how a company would discontinue one of their best selling products so quickly. I've always said half-jokingly that Nintendo hates money, but it seems they actually do.

Luckily I got one yesterday. Australia should get one last shipment so I'm going to try and get 1 more.

Top Bottom