• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

Kawika

I know some of you are going to hate on me because of the Analogue NT. Honestly, I have a non-hdmi nes for my PVM. I really liked the idea of the thing and I kind of prefer to play on it over my crt now that I am used to it.

Anyway, I got a crazy deal on a few of these carts and finally finished my own "Mega Man Legacy Collection". I also replaced a few of my lost (stolen) games. I don't know why but I am supposed to love Castlevania 3 more but C2 might be my favorite on the NES. I am really glad I opted for Salamander over Life Force. That cart is amazing. I still kind of want Life Force too :/

qcaxZbXhe1HV-9zStOPq9VnEY6AV09FsWjuGkO5ju5eQqv_2rjH7uHczEqabF4cW9rlQnUYEfFJHneu93aaRp1XF2vVN5tp66yVg_DwRcMcTjCmAFnmXu1OkHsE5Xy2eEoslOEoPYim1Z4B_qL0jnejBTlD8B64qnnitjOiRqATo0YjCBT-4puX8rFLIxKreR30zPOj5SW8fdE-7Mf1ZA2mrlgHFvfV9BG7NreiXg0MpKz1ZIho6Zl9GRh5JGtsTItexjPNNkr-n3J_eop1LVtCQasVVyWF84CiTd2k2rk9U9GIVCifNocvW_vhod7EQwmJI4EKXKMHBO7u_jeuxzTnD8atcIGra8ykFH3CNal8c6_xQ76UfAEGBpBtWAyikad6dl9_4GwU7LfHMsNRkidlRmJCrQjeX2_EP9PrIyP3-tzRgR4qeMEjeuIZbVL_SAVSsJFfp7KgUIgOIhhgecWE8xtvAs5exRQZaqed0C2uUFX60BrCY84kfVcSbzdmhCXFwsW0FH767mGIiwGkEx4hJfhshnW-d4pT__Tf1my-E=w1234-h926-no

OnPoint

I won't hate on you for that. I just personally wouldn't want one until they fix the scraping issue. Honestly, if it works as advertised, I'd absolutely want one.

-KRS-

Scraping issue? I haven't been keeping up with the Analogue NT but I assume that means it scratches the cartridges?

Sorry, nope. Loose. Take a look on eBay. Fucking insane. I hope it's just a spike.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Khaz

robot

Looks like you can prob just load the famicom carts the same way as nes ones. Not a huge fan of the look but nice to see more of these come out.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I remember this project. But I thought there was a Famicom slot in the back? Apparently the thing would be HD only (☹) but would include stuff to record your gameplay and/or your highscore when plugged to a computer.

The FPGA clone-consoles craze sure is going strong, lots of amateur projects are coming out. Which is good.

The Famicom slot is in a somewhat awkward position.

Also, they've been working on this for quite a while now.

Khaz

The Famicom slot is in a somewhat awkward position.

Oh yeah, I do remember it now. I wish they went for a hinge at halfway the height of a NES cart instead of full-height, using Famicom carts would have felt less awkward with the opened door.

[edit] the design do feel strange. Wouldn't it be better to have both slots as close as possible? I recall the maker of the Retrode had to go with the SNES and Megadrive slots facing away from each other as there would be too much electrical interference otherwise, with the long traces running on the board. Then again, I know nothing about electrical engineering.

Probably a long shot but is there anyone in the sf Bay Area CA that can do a sound channel mod for famicom games on an nes rgb modded top loader? I want the mod done but I don't wanna pay shipping both ways.

C-Sword

Isn't the turbografx -16 version of that Jackie Chan game much better?

I wonder if the RetroUsb Nes clone plays the actual cartridges or is it just rom dumping like the Retron?

Probably rare, or some youtuber featured it.

Yes. In case you missed it on the last page, Cinemassacre did a James & Mike Mondays video on it last Monday. The game was about $35-$40 prior that. People immediately started paying over $100 for it. The game is not common but it's definitely not rare.

entremet

Yes. In case you missed it on the last page, Cinemassacre did a James & Mike Mondays video on it last Monday. The game was about $35-$40 prior that. People immediately started paying over $100 for it. The game is not common but it's definitely not rare.
Lol. Like clockwork. The retro community is a bunch of bandwagoners lol.

Famicom version is $20. Maybe when I get paid I'll scoop it up.

I love being able to just do that now.

I had the same thought. After all, doesn't it make more sense to have an Asian version of a Jackie Chan-themed kung fu game? The label looks pretty sweet, too. Way better than the NA one, but nothing new there.

Teknoman

What dumb is that people have talked about the game and the PC engine one for a minute now. Cinemassacre makes one video where they don't even play that far (like 10 minutes) and boom.

b3b0p

I no longer own a TV and most modern monitors seem to only have display port and possibly HDMI.

What is the cheapest means to connect an NES or AV Famicom you guys have found that's actually available?

I really want to play my NES games on actual hardware. Emulation feels so wonky.

Edit: I live in a 500 sq ft apartment. I'm not getting a TV... I don't think. I don't want to anyway because I have no place to put it.

Kawika

I won't hate on you for that. I just personally wouldn't want one until they fix the scraping issue. Honestly, if it works as advertised, I'd absolutely want one.

Not every unit does it. Also mine never gouged any games. I noticed some dust on my carts but after two weeks I don't even see it anymore. I assume it was the powder coating residue and people assumed it was cart dust. I would put any game into my machine with no fear.

televator

I no longer own a TV and most modern monitors seem to only have display port and possibly HDMI.

What is the cheapest means to connect an NES or AV Famicom you guys have found that's actually available?

I really want to play my NES games on actual hardware. Emulation feels so wonky.

Edit: I live in a 500 sq ft apartment. I'm not getting a TV... I don't think. I don't want to anyway because I have no place to put it.

The cheapest and most space saving way is to get a used LCD off craigslist and plug the yellow composhit cable from the NES right into it.

Sorry m8, this hobby is money. Now, if you want some semblance of quality, drop 60 bucks on a SCART to component transcoder and another 20 on a SCART cable.

Teknoman

Imo, just swing by a thrift store, get the smallest CRT they have (there are some decent small sized ones that would be big enough to fit nicely on a dresser or small table / counter top.

Peagles

The cheapest and most space saving way is to get a used LCD off craigslist and plug the yellow composhit cable from the NES right into it.

Sorry m8, this hobby is money. Now, if you want some semblance of quality, drop 60 bucks on a SCART to component transcoder and another 20 on a SCART cable.

Don't forget the NESRGB mod lmao...

Triple Dash

Neo Member
Been trying to fix some graphical issues I've been having with my Samurai Pizza Cats cart for the past few hours.

I've cleaned the contacts on everything I can think of with cotton swabs/windex and alcohol wipes and it still keeps happening when I start up the game. Am tempted to get a knife and pop the cart open to clean inside but I don't think that will help based on past experiences. IDK The only plus side is suddenly I'm not having any red button issues on any of the rest of my NES/Famicom carts. lol

OnPoint

Not every unit does it. Also mine never gouged any games. I noticed some dust on my carts but after two weeks I don't even see it anymore. I assume it was the powder coating residue and people assumed it was cart dust. I would put any game into my machine with no fear.

I'm glad you haven't had any issues. But given the volume of complaints, I'm not willing to take that risk with my collection.

Been trying to fix some graphical issues I've been having with my Samurai Pizza Cats cart for the past few hours.

I've cleaned the contacts on everything I can think of with cotton swabs/windex and alcohol wipes and it still keeps happening when I start up the game. Am tempted to get a knife and pop the cart open to clean inside but I don't think that will help based on past experiences. IDK The only plus side is suddenly I'm not having any red button issues on any of the rest of my NES/Famicom carts. lol
That really sucks. I had the same issue with my Super Mario Bros 2 cart. I even opened and cleaned the board. It's far too corroded for me to fix at this point, sadly.

Did Samurai Pizza Cats ever see release in the US?

pikablu

Most small new 20-23" tvs come with rca plugs still. Do you currently have a computer monitor or something?

Kawika

I've had luck with a pencil eraser on stubborn carts like that. It guess require you to take the cart apart. Followed by a regular Windex cleaning to get rid of the rubber. I hate taking apart Famicom games.

how does that work anywaysince FC games don't have screws? is there risk of damaging the case when separating the two pieces?

There is. I popped open a Batman cart and kinda bent it in a few places -_- Fortunately the cart was dead, but still I don't want to ever have to do that again.

-KRS-

I've never dared to open an FC cart. The plastic is very brittle on some of them due to age so there's a big risk of snapping the tabs that hold them together. :/

My friend opened up my old Kid Dracula cart that had some issues though, and that went well. I think he used some sort of vice to press it together on the sides until it opened. But he wasn't able to fix it. The problem was that it suddenly started to always trigger the copy-protection thingy that disables the enemies and the elevators on level 2, making it impossible to advance. There didn't appear to be anything odd with the PCB though. I bought a new one and gave him my old copy.

Konami cartridges like Kid Dracula have the end-labels on them as well which you have to be careful with since they're glued onto both sides.

Edit: That reminds me that my copy of Famicom Wars has a dead battery in it. I guess I should try to open that one day and replace it...

OnPoint

Off the tops of your heads, what are some Famicom games that are great, playable without translation, and never came out in the US? I just scooped up Gargoyle's Quest 2, hope it's playable in Japanese haha

Off the tops of your heads, what are some Famicom games that are great, playable without translation, and never came out in the US? I just scooped up Gargoyle's Quest 2, hope it's playable in Japanese haha

GC2 came out in the US...

unless you're talking about the Game Boy port of it?

-KRS-

I'm gonna recommend some Konami games!

Yume Penguin Monogatari
Wai Wai World 1 & 2
Kid Dracula
Gradius II
Hi no Tori
Getsu Fuma Den
Goonies 1

OnPoint

GC2 came out in the US...

unless you're talking about the Game Boy port of it?

This is my fault, those thoughts were kind of unrelated. I picked that up because the US cart is like $120.

I'm gonna recommend some Konami games!

Yume Penguin Monogatari
Wai Wai World 1 & 2
Kid Dracula
Gradius II
Hi no Tori
Getsu Fuma Den
Goonies 1

I have several of those, but not all of them! Thanks for reminding me about Getsu Fuma Den specifically!

This is my fault, those thoughts were kind of unrelated. I picked that up because the US cart is like $120.
Yikes. Halloween seasonal spike? That's Demon's Crest territory.

I you want to play in English and don't mind the WiiU's shitty darkness filter it's pretty reasonably priced on VC.

OnPoint

Yikes. Halloween seasonal spike? That's Demon's Crest territory.

I you want to play in English and don't mind the WiiU's shitty darkness filter it's pretty reasonably priced on VC.

I think it's been about that pricey for a while. I've been keeping my eye on it because I prefer to actually play on my NES, but I just can't justify that amount until I break it rich. So until then...

Why does the Wii U have a darkness filter anyway?

I think it's been about that pricey for a while. I've been keeping my eye on it because I prefer to actually play on my NES, but I just can't justify that amount until I break it rich. So until then...

Why does the Wii U have a darkness filter anyway?

I don't think there is an official answer. Folks have hypothesized it's to comply with modern standards regarding blinking and flashing images.

I'm not sure that's true though, since 3DS VC doesn't have the same filter applied to it.

edit:
Looking at sold listings on eBay, GC2 is about $60-$70. Still pricey, but no where near $120.

Mega

Banned
Lol. Like clockwork. The retro community is a bunch of bandwagoners lol.

A game one never wanted and never thought about buying. No childhood nostalgia, no rarity, not particularly good. It doubles-triples in price and suddenly one must have it.

Seems weird to me. I get it, but I could never work myself up into that frenzy of spending.

entremet

I don't think there is an official answer. Folks have hypothesized it's to comply with modern standards regarding blinking and flashing images.

I'm not sure that's true though, since 3DS VC doesn't have the same filter applied to it.

The MLiG guys think it has to do with the way HDMI handles the signal and the darkness is a compensation effect.

I wish I could remember the video.

Top Bottom