• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Shit, I think I might have messed up something here. My AV Famicom wont turn on anymore :( Any advice on what to do?

Edit: Shit, false alarm, so happy now!

OK, I'm ready to pull the trigger on a Framemeister, but I need some advice from the thread. I'm looking at a FM on eBay from a US seller. It looks fine, listed as like new. But it doesn't have the little SCART>XRGB adaptor cable that you can get if you order from Solaris Japan. The cost is about the same and it will likely get here a bit faster. For now I'm just going with composite >XRGB because my console isn't yet modded for RGB.

Any downside to NOT going to Solaris? Like a warranty or something? These these don't often break do they? Never heard of it on this board.

And I can get the cable from retro_console_accessories, or elsewhere, right?

Khaz

The SCART>XRGB adaptor cable you're getting in a new box isn't a SCART>XRGB adaptor cable. It's a JP21>XRGB adaptor cable, which happen to have the same shape as Scart, but a completely different and incompatible pinout. It's worthless for you, especially since using one can fry your upscaler, console and set your house on fire.

You need to buy a SCART>XRGB adaptor cable separately even through Solaris.

IrishNinja

ill just say this about Solaris: i bought mine there, and my remote died like a year or more later, i wanna say.

i mailed it to em, and they got me a new one. it took a bit but they didn't charge me a thing...really cool of them.

D.Lo

I have one of these too! Mine is in shit condition though and stowed away at my parent's place. Are they rare? I didn't know people actually intentionally sought out the square-button Famicoms.
they're very rare and worth hundreds of dollars.

Mega

Banned
IIRC there's something wrong with the motherboard or some chips or something that makes them crash a lot. Also because of the button design they often get stuck.

I read the overview of an owner of this Famicom. He couldn't get his to crash at all and concluded that it's a very rare occurrence. He also could not get the buttons to stick, so it seems to be more about eventual wear and breaking down.

My 25-year old NES controllers are still intact and working, and the software interacting with the hardware never caused the system to crash, so I could see why this thing was a notch below Nintendo standards and led to a recall. "Rarely happens" isn't good enough for Nintendo.

D.Lo

What's crazy about this one I have is that it's boxed, complete with matching manuals (with pics of square buttons).

IMG_41515f4e1.jpg

And best of all the controllers are in crazy good condition. Soft game and watch style buttons are still perfect. Controller 1 has some corrosion on the metal as usual, but it's not too bad. I'm not sure all square button consoles were recalled, but the are still rare.

I'll be doing a write up once I clean it up.

I mean, they're not 'low print run game' rare, but supply does not meet demand for collectors who want a piece of history.

Morfeo

Was going to play Monster Party for the Game Club, but all my stuff is still packed down after moving place, and I didnt want to dig to deep, so I instead started Little Samson, and this game is incredible. It has great levels, just the right challenge, and the various characters are balanced great. Boss fights seems a big easy when you can use the all four life bars including potions though. Oh, and the game has decent length! Understandable that this gem comands a hefty price!

I finished the escape on my first try as well. I thought the game was very difficult, took me a while to get good enough at it to complete. I eventually got good enough to make it to the final level without dying and losing my power ups and then zerging the last level with the games infinite continues.

StAidan

If anyone here is interested, some enterprising fellow over on NintendoAge has put together a U.S. reproduction package for a game never released in the States, known as Crazy Land. I saw the Nintendo Power preview of this game back when I was a kid, and back then I had no concept of games getting canceled or whatever, so I was always sad that I didn't get to play it.

Anyway, I put in an order for mine but won't receive it until sometime this next week. There's a whole bunch of glowing feedback on the package quality from folks who've gotten theirs, though, and the game itself is supposed to be pretty good too.

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&threadid=153398

This is a limited print run of 150 units, but about half of them are still up for grabs.

Morfeo

If anyone here is interested, some enterprising fellow over on NintendoAge has put together a U.S. reproduction package for a game never released in the States, known as Crazy Land. I saw the Nintendo Power preview of this game back when I was a kid, and back then I had no concept of games getting canceled or whatever, so I was always sad that I didn't get to play it.

Anyway, I put in an order for mine but won't receive it until sometime this next week. There's a whole bunch of glowing feedback on the package quality from folks who've gotten theirs, though, and the game itself is supposed to be pretty good too.

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&threadid=153398

This is a limited print run of 150 units, but about half of them are still up for grabs.

I have the famicom version, and it's pretty fun. Stage 1 theme is cool as hell.

Aha, this is the Trolls-game that came out here in Pal-land and I in my ignorance failed to pick up when it was still priced decently. Looks cool. Any idea what the Famiom-version goes for? Didnt seem like there were any on ebay at the moment.

Teknoman

Aha, this is the Trolls-game that came out here in Pal-land and I in my ignorance failed to pick up when it was still priced decently. Looks cool. Any idea what the Famiom-version goes for? Didnt seem like there were any on ebay at the moment.

It pops up rarely but I think I paid 30 bucks or so.

Just make sure to search the Japanese name.

Doki Doki Yuuenchi and 21.45 to be exact,

The SCART>XRGB adaptor cable you're getting in a new box isn't a SCART>XRGB adaptor cable. It's a JP21>XRGB adaptor cable, which happen to have the same shape as Scart, but a completely different and incompatible pinout. It's worthless for you, especially since using one can fry your upscaler, console and set your house on fire.

You need to buy a SCART>XRGB adaptor cable separately even through Solaris.

Ah, that's right. I knew that but had forgotten. Seems like retrogamingcables.co.uk is the best place right now since retro_console_accessories has hardly anything for sale right now. I don't need one right away anyway, though, without a modded console.

ill just say this about Solaris: i bought mine there, and my remote died like a year or more later, i wanna say.

i mailed it to em, and they got me a new one. it took a bit but they didn't charge me a thing...really cool of them.

Hmm. That's really good to know. I see there's a 12-month warranty at Solaris. Looks like I'll just go that route. Price is about the same same.

coughlanio

My copy of Portopia just came in. Have to wait until Friday to bust open my Retron 5 though (gift from my GF). I don't really mind as I have more stuff coming in (including an 8bitdo SFC30).

Teknoman

Of course game sack just released a video featuring Doki Doki Yuuenchi on a never released in North America episode. But I guess it'll help more people learn of the game.

Teknoman

Play it, have fun (or not) and talk about / stream / record / post screenshots of your experience.

Think of it like a book or movie of the month type thing.

Huggers

Play it, have fun (or not) and talk about / stream / record / post screenshots of your experience.

Think of it like a book or movie of the month type thing.

Sounds cool. I can't do this month due to finances but will get involved in the future for sure

Rimshot

Went through the basement to make more room, and found my old NES bag with what is left of my childhood games :) So regretting selling of Zelda 1 & 2 though, so I hoep I might be able to get them in complete form sometime in the future without paying crazy prices :X

21903211748_9f0208b6e6_b.jpg

Varth

This discussion is responible for getting me back into the small carton box addiction.

Just got NinjaCop Saizou and Kage (EDIT: forgot about Capcom's Rolling Thunder clone Dead Fox) at a reasonable price (the second due to it lacking instructions). Coming up Power Blade and Ninja Hanamaru (Yo! Noid).

Thinking of expanding some research to western carts due to them being less expensive at times (Solbrain and many more).

Also, maybe someone will finally clear a doubt for me: what's the difference between big box/small box/silver box for earlier jap Famicom titles? First run/reprints?

EDIT 2: also got for a pretty good price the VERY GOOD action platformer Dengeki Big Bang (Clash at Demonhead in the west) and the poor man's M.E.R.C.S. Heavy Barrel. Total count 6 games, avg price 50 € shipping included, due to a couple of them (Kage mostly) being pretty pricey.

Will post pics whenever they arrive. Gonna put the have/need/greed list in order again.

Mega

Banned
^Baphomet does great mod work.

I was browsing an old NES vs SMS thread and saw the Ikari Warriors comparison, which got me thinking of how mad that game got me... because it's very easy to physically get stuck and not be able to proceed.

A similar thing happened when I played Gauntlet II. If I recall correctly, one player dies and the remains block the other player into a dead end. I remember playing with family and getting very far, then THAT happened. I think that was the last time we had a serious go at the game, which I later learned has no ending anyway.

Morfeo

Yeah, Ikari sucked on the Nes unfortunately.

Anyways, been playing Little Samson a bit, and one thing that irritates me with the password-system, is that it doesnt retain your life bar-upgrades from last session - while continue does. This basically makes the game way easier to play through in one session compared to splitting it up - but not everybody have the time for that!

Yeah, Ikari sucked on the Nes unfortunately.

Anyways, been playing Little Samson a bit, and one thing that irritates me with the password-system, is that it doesnt retain your life bar-upgrades from last session - while continue does. This basically makes the game way easier to play through in one session compared to splitting it up - but not everybody have the time for that!

Do you have an authentic copy?

Morfeo

Do you have an authentic copy?

I have two, one for Pal, and one for Famicom. Playing the later. I actually just beat it, which was fun. I read that the final boss is different if you play on easy, so think I need to beat it again on easy tomorrow. Great game for sure!

Top Bottom