• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

Yeah, Joker is definitely one of the coolest endbosses in a game, and certainly one of the best on the NES. There's so much going on every moment of that fight; it's great.

Timu

I finally beaten Contra and Super C recently without using cheat codes...holy crap they are much easier than Contra 3 and Hard Corps, I don't know why I took so long to beat them, lol.

Wow, my friend had a lucky score and managed to get Parodius Da and Gradius 2 on FC along with Rockman X2 cart only for $20 total yesterday at a convention, props to him. I'm glad I already have the 2 FC games, otherwise I'd be mad jelly.

Mega

Banned
I finally beaten Contra and Super C recently without using cheat codes...holy crap they are much easier than Contra 3 and Hard Corps, I don't know why I took so long to beat them, lol.

I played a bit of Contra 1 for the first time ever last night. That over the shoulder level is awkward bullshit. I'll try again later.

Super C is so easy once you figure it out and then you can play through the game multiple times in one sitting. Maybe a no power-ups run may add some challenge.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Finally found my copy at the bottom of one of my moving crates:

5lEZ0hv.jpg

I played through Journey to Silius for the first time a couple of hours ago. Great game! Fantastic soundtrack (that stage 2 theme was godly), and I really like the slightly stiff, Contra-esque jumps and the solid lineup of weapons. The levels are really dense and satisfying for the most part too.

Morfeo

Managed to beat the first level. A very strange structure in the game for sure, but so much wackiness that it makes it enjoyable. Level 2 is crazy hard though, will be interesting if it keeps getting progressively harder!

genjiZERO

Looking for a recommendation on an action-platformer of the same quality as Ninja Gaiden 2, but perhaps is under-looked or never made it to the US.

Mzo

Looking for a recommendation on an action-platformer of the same quality as Ninja Gaiden 2, but perhaps is under-looked or never made it to the US.

Overlooked US releases I always mention are Shatterhand, Vice: Project Doom, and Kabuki Quantum Fighter.

Hopefully my Sync Strike will be here in a couple of weeks so I can record straight RGB from my Famicom. It said it has shipped from Arcade Forge, so I'm pretty excited about that. Looking forward to recording from the FC/SNES/MD and Saturn on what little downtime I'll have with the twins coming here any time between November-December..

genjiZERO

Overlooked US releases I always mention are Shatterhand, Vice: Project Doom, and Kabuki Quantum Fighter.

Man, I haven't thought about that game in like a quarter of a century... Maybe I should go back to it. I never got very far in it as a kid.

Morfeo

At leven 5 in Monster Party, and really digging the game so far. The levels themselves arent great, but the bosses are all really cool. However, completely stuck on one now though, the one with the dancing skeletons. Any special trick to this? Doesnt seem like I hurt them at all.

Voliko

At leven 5 in Monster Party, and really digging the game so far. The levels themselves arent great, but the bosses are all really cool. However, completely stuck on one now though, the one with the dancing skeletons. Any special trick to this? Doesnt seem like I hurt them at all.
Follow directions

Morfeo

Just beat level 7 now. One strange thing that happened here, was that I had the key to progress, but then lost it again for some reason, screwing my first run at the level. At least my second try went fine.

Edit: Guess I beat the game:

HbAUOVg.jpg

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say

Vice: Project Doom, Power Blade, Kick Master, Shatterhand are good places to start.

OnPoint

To me, NGII is the pinnacle of what it has to offer. I don't think you can do better.

That said, several of the recommendations in this thread are fantastic if you're looking for similar experiences. Shatterhand especially is awesome. Vice: Project Doom is decent enough, and even has cutscenes like NGII.

Morfeo

Level 6 is the absolute worst part of the game, but has one of my favorite enemies
the body-less pants running around

Agree! Overall, I think the game was cool, but a bit underwhelming. Its mor interesting than it is fun to play, since the control and hit detection is kinda wonky, and you learn to "cheat" the game a bit after a while. Looking forward to read more impressions from it in the thread!

Vice: Project Doom, Power Blade, Kick Master, Shatterhand are good places to start.

I wouldnt say Kick Master is a good place to start, considering the ridiculous prise it goes for these days.

Just played all the way through Crystalis on my Analogue NT. Really an overlooked gem.

I actually started this game yesterday, only to find out my battery had died. So I wonder, is it feasible to complete it in one sitting, or should I prepare myself for some replacing?

Agree! Overall, I think the game was cool, but a bit underwhelming. Its mor interesting than it is fun to play, since the control and hit detection is kinda wonky, and you learn to "cheat" the game a bit after a while. Looking forward to read more impressions from it in the thread!

I wouldnt say Kick Master is a good place to start, considering the ridiculous prise it goes for these days.

I actually started this game yesterday, only to find out my battery had died. So I wonder, is it feasible to complete it in one sitting, or should I prepare myself for some replacing?

It isn't really realistic to expect to play through Crystalis in one sitting. Make sure that you try hitting select and then start to bring up the load menu. If you just hit "continue" from the load screen it always starts you at the beginning. You have to actually start the game and then manually load a saved game. I know because I had to figure this out the hard way. I think I bought 3 copies before I realized I was doing it wrong.

Morfeo

It isn't really realistic to expect to play through Crystalis in one sitting. Make sure that you try hitting select and then start to bring up the load menu. If you just hit "continue" from the load screen it always starts you at the beginning. You have to actually start the game and then manually load a saved game. I know because I had to figure this out the hard way. I think I bought 3 copies before I realized I was doing it wrong.

Aha, thanks! Will try this later then :)

ElTopo

Banned
I played through Journey to Silius for the first time a couple of hours ago. Great game! Fantastic soundtrack (that stage 2 theme was godly), and I really like the slightly stiff, Contra-esque jumps and the solid lineup of weapons. The levels are really dense and satisfying for the most part too.

It's easily the best Run N' Gun on the NES that isn't Contra.

coughlanio

My copy of Monster Party just arrived today. It's in decent condition I guess, will just need to clean it up a bit. Ordered from LukieGames and some people had me worried.

Mzo

My copy of Monster Party just arrived today. It's in decent condition I guess, will just need to clean it up a bit. Ordered from LukieGames and some people had me worried.

I never buy from LukieGames. They seem to be one of the worst of the big eBay sellers.

Never have a picture or description up and always charge ridiculous amounts.

coughlanio

I never buy from LukieGames. They seem to be one of the worst of the big eBay sellers.

Never have a picture or description up and always charge ridiculous amounts.

They had the cheapest price for the game at the time. In fairness, the game is in decent condition, only complaint is that there's some slight discoloration to the plastic like someone used bleach or some other cleaning agent.

Just beat level 7 now. One strange thing that happened here, was that I had the key to progress, but then lost it again for some reason, screwing my first run at the level. At least my second try went fine.

Edit: Guess I beat the game:
I had the same thing happen to me in level 7. The last level was really starting to piss me off with that worm thing that kept going in circles. I ended up just farming health there and going on to finish the level.

Mega

Banned
No actual picture of what I'm getting makes it difficult for me to buy from a seller. I don't look for cart purchases with original cardboard packaging or even demand perfect condition. It just needs to be in good shape: typical minor wear and no ugly damage. If I buy an imperfect game it's because I made that decision myself after accepting its condition, not because it was blindly dropped on me as a nasty little surprise. I would be annoyed with the discoloration you mentioned if it wasn't advertised anywhere.

coughlanio

No actual picture of what I'm getting makes it difficult for me to buy from a seller. I don't look for cart purchases with original cardboard packaging or even demand perfect condition. It just needs to be in good shape: typical minor wear and no ugly damage. If I buy an imperfect game it's because I made that decision myself after accepting its condition, not because it was blindly dropped on me as a nasty little surprise. I would be annoyed with the discoloration you mentioned if it wasn't advertised anywhere.

If it's advertised as 'Very Good' and it came in crappy condition, I wouldn't hesitate to either A) Offer to return it at their expense (would probably cost more than the cost of the game). B) If they refused to pay (or at least refund the cost of postage), I would file a PayPal claim.

eBay does have strict guidelines about the condition of goods, very good for example:

An item that has been used, but is in very good condition. No damage to the jewel case or item cover, no scuffs, scratches, cracks, or holes. The cover art and liner notes are included. The VHS or DVD box is included. The video game instructions and box are included. The teeth of the disk holder (in the DVD box) is undamaged. Minimal wear on the exterior of item. No skipping on the CD or DVD, when played. No fuzzy or snowy frames on VHS tape, when played. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections.

Saying that, I'm overall happy with the condition of the game. Is it 'Very Good' as advertised, no, but I'm not unhappy to the point of going through a lengthy return process across continents. I'd probably say it falls under the 'Good' condition rating.

D.Lo

I'm generally against buying without a real photo, but sometimes if it's a real bargain I might.

And once again, even that is not as bad as the awfulness of GSP ruining like 90% of US listings.

lordmrw

Samurai Pizza Cats (Kyatto Ninden Teyandee) is also from Tecmo and is incredible, one of the best games for the system. I would also recommend Mitsume Ga Tooru. I really need to put my reviews for those at some point now that I think about it.

Morfeo

Samurai Pizza Cats (Kyatto Ninden Teyandee) is also from Tecmo and is incredible, one of the best games for the system. I would also recommend Mitsume Ga Tooru. I really need to put my reviews for those at some point now that I think about it.

Just checked the price of Samurai Pizza Cats, and it seems to have come down a bit from last time I checked, so I bought it :) Looking forward to it, always heard good things!

It's so good! It's like kiddie Ninja Gaiden (i.e. plays like Ninja Gaiden but cartoony and *sliiiightly* less difficult) with a SMB2US/TMNT1/Ufouria character/ability-switching mechanic thrown in!

Morfeo

Just tried this - and it worked! No need to change battery after all. This mean that there is still only one cart that has died on me ever (Mario vs DK on the gba).

I had the same thing happen to me in level 7. The last level was really starting to piss me off with that worm thing that kept going in circles. I ended up just farming health there and going on to finish the level.

Yeah, that worm-dragon was incredibly irritating. But I always went for it first, since it felt random if I could beat it or not. If I did, I knew I could have a solid run.

ElTopo

Banned

1: Shatterhand
2: Batman
3: Super C
4: Castlevania 3
5: Powerblade (also Powerblade 2)
6: Zen: intergalactic Ninja
7: Ninja Gaiden 2
8: Shadow of the Ninja
9: Vice: Project Doom
10: Journey to Silious

I bought Castlevania Bloodlines on an Amazon.com listing from Goodwill that lacked a photo a few years back. It turned out to be CIB (cardboard box, no less). For $10, I honestly couldn't complain.

But generally, I try not to gamble on that if I can avoid it.

Teknoman

Hmmm, I might skip it in that case. I should really be tracking down Dragon Warrior 2 anyway.

Get some paper and a pencil handy for Legacy of the Wizard.

Wait, what does continue actually do from the title screen? Just load the most recent spot if you died and were sent back to the title?

thomasos

Well, the orange one is the superior model. It has better dials that lock at the end (so the paddles don't scroll forever off the screen), and can take mains power

But the white unit is the original, the true first Nintendo.

I'll definitely pick up a white unit, then. For the same reason I picked up that model 1 SG-1000 over the clearly superior model 2; I want the true original console from each company.

I don't remember the grind being too bad. I just remember wishing there was a quicker way to change weapons on the levels with different enemies. It's a good game mechanic to have enemies with different immunities but when you have to pause the game and switch weapons it's just irritating.

Top Bottom