• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

Lothar

Banned
The Ninja Gaiden episode of AVGN is very cathartic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t2YvyLqw3c If you're seen it before and you played NG recently, watch it again. I immediately recognize all the spots where he died as being troublesome areas where I died or almost died. I love all the parts where there's an empty platform ahead of you but when you jump on it you land on a bat appearing out of nowhere. This makes you realize how many of them there are.

If you haven't seen it before, I'll just say there's a Rocky-like montage where he trains his thumbs set to Ninja Gaiden music.

Not just one of the best AVGN episodes but one of the finest videos on the internet relating to video games.

Lothar

Banned
Made it to Act 4. I found a way to cheat the Act 3 boss. Keep the fire wheel weapon, and instead of jumping and running all around the room dodging fireballs, use it and stay in one place slashing him. He stays in one place when he's shooting things.

Timu

Made it to Act 4. I found a way to cheat the Act 3 boss. Keep the fire wheel weapon, and instead of jumping and running all around the room dodging fireballs, use it and stay in one place slashing him. He stays in one place when he's shooting things.
That's...a damn good tactic. Also can't wait for you to get to Act 5, that's when the game gets crazier!

Lothar

Banned
It's close to July. Someone should have asked for game suggestions by now. What's the holdup? Oh wait, it's me.

Everyone make game suggestions/nominations for July. (And possibly August)

OnPoint

It's close to July. Someone should have asked for game suggestions by now. What's the holdup? Oh wait, it's me.

Everyone make game suggestions/nominations for July. (And possibly August)

Are we sticking with the monthly rotation? That's cool if so, just curious :)

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
The Ninja Gaiden episode of AVGN is very cathartic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t2YvyLqw3c If you're seen it before and you played NG recently, watch it again. I immediately recognize all the spots where he died as being troublesome areas where I died or almost died. I love all the parts where there's an empty platform ahead of you but when you jump on it you land on a bat appearing out of nowhere. This makes you realize how many of them there are.

If you haven't seen it before, I'll just say there's a Rocky-like montage where he trains his thumbs set to Ninja Gaiden music.

Not just one of the best AVGN episodes but one of the finest videos on the internet relating to video games.

Definitely agree with this, such an awesome video, and might be my favorite AVGN ever.

We never played Jackal right? If not, I nominate that.

Lothar

Banned
Jackal is good.

- June 2017 - Ninja Gaiden and Ninja Gaiden 3
- April/May 2017 - Ninja Gaiden 2
- March 2017 - Metal Gear
- February 2017 - Double Dragon
- January 2017 - Battletoads
- December 2016 - Crystalis
- November 2016 - Bionic Commando
- October 2016 - Castlevania
- September 2016 - Blaster Master
- August 2016 - Adventure Island
- July 2016 - Zanac
- June 2016 - Conquest of the Crystal Palace
- May 2016 - Wrecking Crew
- April 2016 - Street Fighter 2010
- March 2016 -The Guardian Legend
- February 2016 - Shatterhand
- January 2016 - Rygar
- December 2015 - Super Mario 3
- November 2015 - Faxanadu
- October 2015 - Monster Party

I mean it's good to be nominated. I haven't played it. Never even heard of it I think.

How's Ninja Gaiden going?
i didn't get a chance last night, I posted on retroGAF, but I got a new piece of hardware last night psp go and was messing with it hooked up to my BVM playing it over component 240p and stayed up to 4am playing around. Pretty tired this morning but going to get some ninja gaiden in tonight when I get in

Jackal is cool!

ok resumed ninja gaiden and finally beat the 1st boss and on the second. crap i didn't know our energy doesn't refill like for the 1st boss and died. got back there again but died... i need to figure out his pattern.

Lothar

Banned
Jackal is cool!

ok resumed ninja gaiden and finally beat the 1st boss and on the second. crap i didn't know our energy doesn't refill like for the 1st boss and died. got back there again but died... i need to figure out his pattern.

This is going to make you miserable and hate existence.

There's two good ways to beat him unless you're a gaming god.

Get there somehow with the jump slash technique and you can beat him with 1 or 2 hits. I've never done this one.
Get there with the weapon that shoots fire upwards and have your weapon energy almost maxed out. This is what I do. This weapon is available in the last room.

Wow, you're as crazy as us for putting up with the developers' rib of sending us back to 6-1. That's right, they don't even refill your life bar and they take away your weapon for the 2nd boss. They must have been laughing as they shipped it like that.

Take a break and see the AVGN episode above if you haven't. It's mostly about this very part, this boss and the frustration of getting sent back to 6-1. You'll probably get a kick out of it since you're on this part.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I would like to nominate Salamander just for being the most awesome looking cart.

Zr5g4n0.jpg

TeaJay

I wish I had thought of getting my Everdrive N8 inside a Salamander cart. I wonder how hard it would be to change the shell myself?

Chittagong

Gold Member
How do you like using that 8bitdo controller? Wish there was an original NES form factor but I understand how that would be of much more limited appeal.

It's really nice, and the angled buttons are actually superb.

The only problem I have had that occasionally it racks up an insane input lag that can only be resolved by resetting the plug and controller

I'll probably get one eventually.

Side note - just ordered an FDS Stick. I thought it was $35 -- it's only $15. Too cheap not to give it a shot. I just hope I don't get lost in some software/ROM wormhole that I can't figure out...

I'll probably get one eventually.

Side note - just ordered an FDS Stick. I thought it was $35 -- it's only $15. Too cheap not to give it a shot. I just hope I don't get lost in some software/ROM wormhole that I can't figure out...

It's dead easy to use. Drag, drop and you are good to go.

dubc35

I bought a broken NES front loader (blinking light) for $20, plan is to fix it (BLW) and get it rgb modded. I've been hesitant to get my og one from back in the day modded so decided to grab another.

Best laid plans... lol

Lothar

Banned
So

1. Life Force
2. Zelda 2
3. Jackal

Anyone else?

I'll give it about a day.

I can take out my Zelda 2 nomination if it's just those 2 games and we can run with those.

My vote is Lifeforce/Salamander!
i thought Lifeforce was the unofficial game during metal gear month so i brought it then. but don't mind giving it another go. i think i can beat it in one life if i can get the end exit part correctly.

Lothar, been playing Yakuza 5 and just beat it so i'm onto ninja gaiden tonight.

so are we doing Life Force and Jackal? i love both games.

Lothar

Banned
i thought Lifeforce was the unofficial game during metal gear month so i brought it then. but don't mind giving it another go. i think i can beat it in one life if i can get the end exit part correctly.

Lothar, been playing Yakuza 5 and just beat it so i'm onto ninja gaiden tonight.

Yep, all the more reason to do two games a month. Life Force is getting two months on a technicality.

I've been playing Nier Automata. I can't believe how great this game is.

OnPoint

One life??

i finally beat ninja gaiden. i used the spinning slash as Lothar suggested for the 2nd form and it killed it in one hit. the 3rd form was easy.
A1GSlvkl.jpg

u9kkiUhl.jpg

One life??
yeah, it's not too bad. i just need to memorize the ending pattern. i played it alot in the arcades and the nes way back so it comes pretty easy. the game gives chances to pick back up the ship's multiples/options if you die which makes it easier than gradius.

i finally beat ninja gaiden. i used the spinning slash as Lothar suggested for the 2nd form and it killed it in one hit. the 3rd form was easy.
A1GSlvkl.jpg

u9kkiUhl.jpg

yeah, it's not too bad. i just need to memorize the ending pattern. i played it alot in the arcades and the nes way back so it comes pretty easy. the game gives chances to pick back up the ship's multiples/options if you die which makes it easier than gradius.

Congrats!

Congrats dude.

Nice that some of you had beaten this great game!

Congrats!
thanks guys! it does feel really good to finally beat it. espcially the one game as a kid that i gave up on in middle school that i really tried to beat. this is so random but it was a weekend sleepover at a friend's house and we tried but couldn't do it. i remember we went to go see Ghostbusters II in the theater right after, so we had to turn it off.

i felt like shouting last night: "now, i'm playing with power!" lol

Lothar

Banned
It brought back memories of sleepovers in the 80s trying to beat it for me too. The third form was the toughest for me! I had to re-do Act 6 5 or 6 times because of him. I kept running out of fire power.

thanks guys! it does feel really good to finally beat it. espcially the one game as a kid that i gave up on in middle school that i really tried to beat. this is so random but it was a weekend sleepover at a friend's house and we tried but couldn't do it. i remember we went to go see Ghostbusters II in the theater right after, so we had to turn it off.

i felt like shouting last night: "now, i'm playing with power!" lol

Love it. Nice work.

Top Bottom