• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

Im kind of giong in blind and I keep freaking dying. It makes me feel like less of a gamer, maybe I need to start with something else first and work my way up into Shatter Hand.

Just wait till you get to the final levels. It gets intense. Checkpoints are ridiculous. But with practice you will beat it! Took me a whole day to beat. Fucking love that game.

Peagles

Oh hai there!
IMAG0383_zps16f750ab.jpg

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
yeah jackie chan is amazing everything about it the gameplay and the music outstanding and as far as ex mutants go its way better then i thought it was going to be its a fast paced platformer with really good controls

lordmrw

Jackie Chan! I've wanted to play that game forever, but I want to go with the PC engine version. Props for Super C, but i've always wondered if Ex mutants was connected to Marvel at all.

Ex-Mutants was a Malibu comic but technically Marvel did buy them out so I guess you can say they are connected in a roundabout way.

Mega Man 1 is way easier than I remember, until the final stage. Holy fuck taking on all those robot masters in a row was a bitch. How the fuck do you dodge Fire Man's attacks? I finally got good enough where he was pretty much the only one hitting me so I could tough it out.

Outside of that, that has to be the easiest Mega Man. Playing them all in order, so I guess I'll see over the next week.

Teknoman

Mega Man 1 is way easier than I remember, until the final stage. Holy fuck taking on all those robot masters in a row was a bitch. How the fuck do you dodge Fire Man's attacks? I finally got good enough where he was pretty much the only one hitting me so I could tough it out.

Outside of that, that has to be the easiest Mega Man. Playing them all in order, so I guess I'll see over the next week.

Same boat here. I'm on MM2 now (stopped at the castle). I think im going to alternate between Megaman games and other nes games so I dont get burned out.

That crash bomb puzzle boss is lame.

did you use the pause glitch to cheese yellow devil?

Friend who did my NES stereo and SNES component mods finished modding his NES for RGB a week or so ago. Holy fuck it absolutely astounding looking on his Sony PVM monitor. If you have the money for it, do it. It looks so good.

NES/Famicom music experts that have an iOS thing.

I've been playing Block Legend (fun game) and I SWEAR that the music is either flat out stolen or heavily (and I am feeling VERY HEAVILY) influenced by an NES game (or NES games) I've played in the past.

But I can't quite but my ear to it.

It's very Falcomish.

In fact, I thought the "victory" jingle was the Legacy of the Wizard "treasure" jingle so I looked that up and...... it's close, just not it. But I almost feel like I KNOW that I've heard that jingle before. And some of the other music in the game is just, I don't know. It's either something I've heard before or just WAY TOO similar.

So if you've got the $2 for a fun puzzle game and want to go mad with me, check it out.

ivanmark

recently played MM NES marathon and MM1 is by far easiest .
MM1 then MM2,MM5,MM4,MM3. I dont have Mega man 6.

Aw shit, my NESRGB finally showed up in the post.

The next question is finding time to do the actual install.

I sit here getting a half chub just thinking about the potential though.

HaL64

Aw shit, my NESRGB finally showed up in the post.

The next question is finding time to do the actual install.

I sit here getting a half chub just thinking about the potential though.

It's by far the best system to RGB mod. Mainly because of the insane increase in quality.

Peagles

QUESTION TIME GAF!

Everything I've found online says I can use my NZ NES AC Adapter with a US NES, am I right? I don't want to blow this thing up!

IrishNinja

It's by far the best system to RGB mod. Mainly because of the insane increase in quality.

+1
tonight i finish my cart cleaning project! NES ones (especially the few 5-screw ones i have) were a bitch till i stopped being cheap & bought an electric screwdriver.

picked a repro of Splatterhouse Graffiti on the cheap recently, made me wanna hit up some more faicom goodness like Goonies 1, Wai Wai World, maybe Kid Dracula...not gonna go nuts since i really should just save for everdrives one day. still, ive yet to come across a gyromite/pinball with converter for myself, and i debated just sawing one in half when i did like bapho does, but really, how much is a honeybee or decent coverter these days?

IrishNinja

picked a repro of Splatterhouse Graffiti on the cheap recently, made me wanna hit up some more faicom goodness like Goonies 1, Wai Wai World, maybe Kid Dracula...not gonna go nuts since i really should just save for everdrives one day. still, ive yet to come across a gyromite/pinball with converter for myself, and i debated just sawing one in half when i did like bapho does, but really, how much is a honeybee or decent coverter these days?

also: bapho if you see this (or anyone else whose done it), how did you cut your Gyromite cart in half to use the adapter easier?

baphomet

also: bapho if you see this (or anyone else whose done it), how did you cut your Gyromite cart in half to use the adapter easier?

Just a dremel I believe. Lots of hot glue to hold the strings on the sides in place. I think that was really it. You could use a hand saw just as well I would think.

IrishNinja

Just a dremel I believe. Lots of hot glue to hold the strings on the sides in place. I think that was really it. You could use a hand saw just as well I would think.

aw man, my hand's not so steady with this kinda work; a saw would look like a gator bit it, haha. do you have a pic of yours? not sure what you meant by strings on the sides.

baphomet

aw man, my hand's not so steady with this kinda work; a saw would look like a gator bit it, haha. do you have a pic of yours? not sure what you meant by strings on the sides.

Actually i don't know where it's at off the top of my head.

Basically the string is there so you can pull it out of the console. like a ghetto version of that plastic part on a game genie.

IrishNinja

aw damn, didn't even think about that...it'd be stuck in there otherwise. you know for this much trouble i really should just track down a honeybee or other adapter, are any on the cheap end?

5amshift

Banned
I would absolutely LOVE a 60-72 pin converter, but there doesn't seem to be too many online. Just tons of NES to Famicom unfortunately. Going to check my Gyromite cart and see if it has an adapter in it.

womp

I have two carts with the Famicom converter. A Gyromite and a Hogan's Alley (which I found for $2 at a comic convention of all places) that I came across last year. Been sitting on them a while and would love to do a nice converter cart with them to play Kid Drac and Splatterhouse and just some all around cheap Famicom games in general.

Maybe I should invest in a dremel. Heh

Irate Drake

Neo Member
heres some filler i picked up this weekend.

20140308_193804.jpg

Just crap games but for $1 a piece, I was happy.

Considering things are pretty much dry around my area, due to resellers.

IrishNinja

yeah i kinda stopped looking for gyromite/pinball etc when bapho recently pointed out i'd not only want to saw it in half, but have a string or something to be able to get it back out...rather just have a proper converter with a stick or something i guess

Well this was about a year or so ago, but I won an ebay auction for like 20 bucks (came with a skykid bootleg).

good deal! im keeping an eye there now too but as was said, mostly NES to fami ones right now.

Speaking of converters, I wish this was easy to find.

honeybee_family_adaptor2.jpg

me too, man that's bigger than the mini ones ive seen too

Peagles

So I have my US NES mobo now fully functional inside my PAL shell, prepping for the NESRGB installation. I have to say I was surprised while testing composite on my PVM... Not nearly as bad as I thought! It really shines with plain colour on black (see white writing in pic) but you get the bleed when colours meet.

Just managed to flash my NESRGB to get rid of the bug from the second batch. Apparently successful though I won't know for sure til I get it up and running. I think I'll get it all going first and install the switches into the case after the fact. Still looking for an on-on-on toggle switch so I can use that instead of farting around trying to install the slider it came with.

Shout out to Bapho for answering my noob questions and my Dad for letting me borrow his power drill!

Peagles

3 way guitar pickup selector switches are on-on-on and fairly easy to find locally at music shops.

Thanks for the tip! I ended up ordering one from eBay but I'll search locally in the mean time. It's weird, we have a hobby electronics store called Jaycar and they have pretty much everything I need but no on-on-on switches. Just about every other combo and switch type you can think of, but not the ones I need, lol.

I'm a bit stuck with my soldering because I live in an apt and they're doing maintenance outside. Usually I solder on our balcony (or at least near there so the fumes don't stay inside) but they're out there abseiling and junk so I might have to wait until tonight.

Might switch around my AGS-101 cases while I wait :p

Edit: Local music store does have one, but I'm not paying THIRTY NINE DOLLARS holy shit lol.

Top Bottom