• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

Velinos

I caught my local game store slipping and got Mario's Time Machine for $20. It is a pretty terrible game, so now I have to decide if I want to keep it or trade it away for something good.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Fascinating Famicom peripheral - http://famicomworld.com/system/controllers/top-rider/

top_rider2.jpg

138322708_3_zps5611814a.jpg

Famicom carts sure are colorful -

NES Compilation! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z995KPfokSU

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Man, given the recent spike in mega man 5 prices, I feel like I did okay paying only $60

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Oh man :I glad I got my copy of MM5 from blockbuster when they were liquidating NES carts in the 90s.

Leonsito

Just replaced my 72 pin connector and cleaned all my cartridges, I didnt know you are supossed to NOT push down the game now, I was getting worried when some of them didn't load :-O

womp

How does a game get this bad:

I'm curious if that's from being left sitting in a system or being put in and removed so much. It's Mario Bros. 3 so it was obviously popular. The only other game I've ever seen this bad was a copy of Mega Man 2, also popular.

After cleaning:

Beautiful.

Nice! What did you use? Maybe I will switch out my alcohol/eraser combo. :)

Nice! What did you use? Maybe I will switch out my alcohol/eraser combo. :)

Metal polish. I use just alcohol/water mix on all my new stuff. If it doesn't work after that (most will) then I open it up and use the polish.

Use one end of a qtip with the polish, then another with alcohol where I'm mostly just trying to get all the polish gone, then dry it with a rag, then use another alcohol qtip, then scrub it dry with the dry end of the qtip.

Friends are dangerous about this. I've had friends over who blew in my games. I solved this problem by having no friends.

ZealousD

Metal polish. I use just alcohol/water mix on all my new stuff. If it doesn't work after that (most will) then I open it up and use the polish.

Use one end of a qtip with the polish, then another with alcohol where I'm mostly just trying to get all the polish gone, then dry it with a rag, then use another alcohol qtip, then scrub it dry with the dry end of the qtip.

Brasso is a good pick if you need a metal polish.

Although it will leave a residue, so you definitely need to hit it with the isopropyl alcohol afterwards to finish it off.

And my NES restoration is complete! New 72-pin connector, de-yellowing of the case, disabled the 10NES, tore a few games apart and fully cleaned them with some metal cleaner and then some alcohol... Holy crap, I can't remember the last time I plugged a game into my NES and didn't have to fight. Especially the RARE pinball games (pinbot, High Speed). Even when those games worked they often had really bad graphic corruption and the like.

Not bad for $20 and the equivalent of 2 afternoon's work (one just on de-yellowing the case)

If only RGB mod wasn't a terribly scary procedure... that said, I think I'm satisfied with this. If I want RGB I'll set myself up with an emulator on my big TV since it has a TV hooked up to it anyways.

Got these earlier in the month:

Shooting Range is...confusing to me. It seems like you need both a controller and a Zapper at the same time to play it properly. Heh.

Life Force is cool, though. I had actually bought a loose copy at a flea market a few months ago, but could never get it to work. But now I have a complete copy that works great! Hooray!

(Galaga '90 obviously is not an NES or Famicom game, but it's still awesome. Hah. Perhaps actually the best of the three games here...)

baphomet

You've got to be careful using metal polish on those pins. They were never supposed to be shiny, even new. If you're getting a mirror finish on then you're likely removing the gold plating from them. It will show like black residue on the qtip or cloth as the plating is being removed. Removing it will cause it to oxidize and eventually rust much faster and worse than it would have before.

ZealousD

You've got to be careful using metal polish on those pins. They were never supposed to be shiny, even new. If you're getting a mirror finish on then you're likely removing the gold plating from them. It will show like black residue on the qtip or cloth as the plating is being removed. Removing it will cause it to oxidize and eventually rust much faster and worse than it would have before.

It's the only way you can save some carts, though.

Mzo

Glass stove top cleaner also works and is less abrasive than metal polisher.

Still, don't put too much on and be gentle.

The_Afroman

Who on here can do a NESRGB mod? Just picked up a twin famicom and NESRGB. So I'm super excited to get this going! But I want someone that has already done it. This is my dream console. Been wanting a Sharp Twin Fammy since I was young. As an adult I finally own it!

Glass stove top cleaner also works and is less abrasive than metal polisher.

Still, don't put too much on and be gentle.

When I returned back to the US, I brought my 700+ famicom game collection with me.

I decided I should give each one a cleaning as I took them out of the shipping boxes and into plastic storage containers... So I did. Mister clean magic eraser for the outside, rubbing alcohol and a cotton swab for a quick cleaning on the inside. And I cleaned until there wasn't any dirt coming off...

Well, later I learned about the glass stove cleaner and ran that over one of my well cleaned cartridges... WOW. The dirt wouldn't stop coming off..

I won't put a game into my systems now without it having had the glass stove cleaner treatment.

I've got a preorder with the dude from Game-Tech for a NES RGB mod for the custom PCB. I'm in the third group, and he's expecting to be at least three months out. But he bulk orders from Tim for a discount, so that'll help for the cost of modificiation. I am hyped, though-- RGB on the NES looks beautiful.

Mzo

When I returned back to the US, I brought my 700+ famicom game collection with me.

I decided I should give each one a cleaning as I took them out of the shipping boxes and into plastic storage containers... So I did. Mister clean magic eraser for the outside, rubbing alcohol and a cotton swab for a quick cleaning on the inside. And I cleaned until there wasn't any dirt coming off...

Well, later I learned about the glass stove cleaner and ran that over one of my well cleaned cartridges... WOW. The dirt wouldn't stop coming off..

I won't put a game into my systems now without it having had the glass stove cleaner treatment.

I have bad news for you. That wasn't dirt.

baphomet

I've got a preorder with the dude from Game-Tech for a NES RGB mod for the custom PCB. I'm in the third group, and he's expecting to be at least three months out. But he bulk orders from Tim for a discount, so that'll help for the cost of modificiation. I am hyped, though-- RGB on the NES looks beautiful.

That's fucking crazy it will take that long.

I have bad news for you. That wasn't dirt.

Well they worked wonderfully after the cleaning.

Are you suggesting such a cleaner is way too strong? After giving it a good cleaning with the glass stove cleaner, they look very clean and the dirt did stop coming off. It just took off layers of grime, tobacco, etc, that an alcohol cleaner couldn't.

hunnies28

Crud, I removed the black residue from a few games thinking it was dirt.

phileep

I've been using Mothers MAG and Aluminum polish on my games for years now and I have always wondered if maybe I shouldn't have done it because I did fear what you wrote. I did this years ago now, I'd say maybe 5 years back now, and the games still look awesome. It also doesn't remove the gold plating, just makes them super shiny. In the picture above the gold hasn't been removed, it's just the light reflecting.

It's kind of funny that all these years later, people still have their own ways of cleaning out carts that they stand by. There doesn't really seem to be one singular right way to do.

edit: Also, I'm sure this is in here somewhere in this thread, but, any way to open Famicom carts?

Velinos

I got an NES with one controller and SMB3, Adventure Island 2, Golf, TMNT, and Dragon Spirit this week. Got all the games cleaned up and working. The start button doesn't work, so I'll have to see if I can clean that up.

The NES gave me a flashing white screen; never seen that before. Mine only ever gave me a flashing blue screen when it didn't like carts. I took it apart last night and found that some paper seems to have been jammed in the 72 pin connector. I dug it all out with a razor blade. Gonna boil it tonight and see if that get it working.

Mzo

Well they worked wonderfully after the cleaning.

I'm sure they did!

I guess by now you've gone back to read a few posts in this thread. You can use tiny dabs of stove top cleaner on especially bad connectors, let it sit, and slowly wipe it off. Same for Brasso. Lathering it on and rubbing it down until no more black residue wipes off is pretty bad!

To be fair, cartridges won't last forever anyway.

-KRS-

edit: Also, I'm sure this is in here somewhere in this thread, but, any way to open Famicom carts?

They weren't meant to be opened, so it's pretty hard to open them without snapping off the plastic tabs that is holding the cart together. I've never dared to do it myself so would also like some tips. I guess it could always be glued shut if a tab does snap off, but that's not exactly ideal.

You can't really go wrong with the cleaning kit from Nintendo Repair Shop. I've managed to salvage a number of "dead" games after a thorough cleaning.

On another note, I managed to snap up Dragon Warrior 1-4 for a fair price the other day. I've noticed that the individual auctions are much more expensive than finding a single auction with all four.

Mzo

I've been using Mothers MAG and Aluminum polish on my games for years now and I have always wondered if maybe I shouldn't have done it because I did fear what you wrote. I did this years ago now, I'd say maybe 5 years back now, and the games still look awesome. It also doesn't remove the gold plating, just makes them super shiny. In the picture above the gold hasn't been removed, it's just the light reflecting.

It's kind of funny that all these years later, people still have their own ways of cleaning out carts that they stand by. There doesn't really seem to be one singular right way to do.

That sounds good! In my experience, rubning alcohol doesn't do jack shit and even if it does, it wears off soon after. I have witnessed first-hand the removal of the gold layer with Brasso. I don't know rhe timetables for the contacts oxidizing to the poknt where it interferes with the aystem. It might be about as long as these carts have to live as it is anyway.

Easiest way with no worries is using an art eraser to rub off any buildup. If it's especially ahitty you van upgrade to an abrasive, but don't use a lot and be gentle.

The important thing is to not think "oh, look at all this grime snd dirt!" and keep applying and rubbing. I did it, other people have done it, but it's not the right thing to do and people should know.

phileep

The important thing is to not think "oh, look at all this grime snd dirt!" and keep applying and rubbing. I did it, other people have done it, but it's not the right thing to do and people should know.

Does the buffing wear the contacts down? Is that why people shouldn't do it? I've heard of people having a lot of success with the eraser trick. I could see trying that in the future because cleaning with the polish is like a whole project, and you really do need to rub that shit for a while because the polish has to come off.

ZealousD

Yeah, I always look at the contacts. Target your cleaning where you see black.

baphomet

I guess he's still waiting on the third batch of boards, but he's also extremely backed up with mods-- JUST the NES RGB mods, even.

That's what I mean. I bought 5 boards yesterday and all of those will be back to customers in a week or two at the longest. He's taking money for something that isn't made yet, and then making people wait 3 months to get it. That's crazy. A poster in here ordered from the first batch of boards in Dec and it still took until about Feb or so to receive it.

I guess he's still waiting on the third batch of boards, but he's also extremely backed up with mods-- JUST the NES RGB mods, even.
Since he's too humble to say it, I will. Cancel your Game-Tech order and PM baphomet. Keep it in the family!

I'm not only the President of the baphomet Fan Club, I'm also a client.

Since he's too humble to say it, I will. Cancel your Game-Tech order and PM baphomet. Keep it in the family!

I'm not only the President of the baphomet Fan Club, I'm also a client.
I hear you! I am in talks with him now. I guess I am at Jason's mercy, though, because I sent it in the form of Paypal gift funds. Not that he isn't trustworthy, but he might tell me all sales are final or some silliness like that.

That sounds good! In my experience, rubning alcohol doesn't do jack shit and even if it does, it wears off soon after. I have witnessed first-hand the removal of the gold layer with Brasso. I don't know rhe timetables for the contacts oxidizing to the poknt where it interferes with the aystem. It might be about as long as these carts have to live as it is anyway.

Easiest way with no worries is using an art eraser to rub off any buildup. If it's especially ahitty you van upgrade to an abrasive, but don't use a lot and be gentle.

Shoot. That's how I've been thinking. Well thankfully I've only cleaned about 6 or 7 with that kind of thinking..

Will definitely try the eraser thing and only use the glass stover cleaner for non functioning games.

edit: Oh, is there anything that acts as a sort of coating agent, to reapply a protective surface?

Velinos

Well, a q-tip and some rubbing alcohol on the board and buttons fixed the start button on that NES controller.

I boiled the 72 pin connector and put it back together, but the NES is still giving me a flashing grey screen. Perhaps there is still some gunk that needs to get cleaned out, so I'm gonna try again tomorrow. Anyone know what the difference is between a flashing grey screen and a flashing blue screen?

Top Bottom