• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

robot

Got my last batch of Famicom games. A translated Mother cart is on it's way, but that'll be it until I find Crisis Force at a good price. Now I wait for my Twin to come back from it's RGB mod. So many new games to play.

10748014_559205177557304_775221550_n.jpg

I also picked up Hello Kitty World - I'm a huge fan of Balloon Kid and my daughters are huge fans of HK. It's a win win!

-KRS-

Nice collection of FC games there. Yeah Crisis Force is also one of those games on my to buy list if I can get it for a decent price. And man, pretty jealous of that raf World cart. Been meaning to get that for quite some time. I already have JTS but it's a PAL version, and since I like that game so much I'd love to have an NTSC version of it. I like it so much I would actually want to get it CIB, but the last one I followed ended at more than a CIB Gun-Nac from the same seller...

Chittagong

Gold Member
I played Mega Man 2 today for the first time since 1991, and I must say it has aged much, much better than I figured. It's really responsive, the learning curve is great, the game is very satisfying overall. Not just a retro gimmick, but actual, enjoyable fun.

When I decided to get back to NES by ordering an Analogue NT I had this looming worry that maybe NES games would feel sluggish and unfun, like C64 games tend to.

Speaking of Analogue NT, I am growning more worried every week as they still haven't shown any pics of a working unit, motherboard, or released a video to show the image quality. It seems clear that their Spring announcement of 'summer release' was dishonest, they never had the product ready but actually used the preorder money to fund development. It's nearly November, and they have shown *nothing* since they announced the preorders. Which makes me worry whether anything comes of my $500 they got.

I played Mega Man 2 today for the first time since 1991, and I must say it has aged much, much better than I figured. It's really responsive, the learning curve is great, the game is very satisfying overall. Not just a retro gimmick, but actual, enjoyable fun.
Last weekend, I did my first serious play through of Mega Man 2 since I used to play it a friend's home back in 1990. Quickman level and Wily's Castle part 3 vexed me, but what a fantastic game, every bit as good now as it was then.

Peagles

When I decided to get back to NES by ordering an Analogue NT I had this looming worry that maybe NES games would feel sluggish and unfun, like C64 games tend to.

Speaking of Analogue NT, I am growning more worried every week as they still haven't shown any pics of a working unit, motherboard, or released a video to show the image quality. It seems clear that their Spring announcement of 'summer release' was dishonest, they never had the product ready but actually used the preorder money to fund development. It's nearly November, and they have shown *nothing* since they announced the preorders. Which makes me worry whether anything comes of my $500 they got.

They've taken your money already? Ugh.

robot

Nice collection of FC games there. Yeah Crisis Force is also one of those games on my to buy list if I can get it for a decent price. And man, pretty jealous of that raf World cart. Been meaning to get that for quite some time. I already have JTS but it's a PAL version, and since I like that game so much I'd love to have an NTSC version of it. I like it so much I would actually want to get it CIB, but the last one I followed ended at more than a CIB Gun-Nac from the same seller...

Thanks - I used to have a NES as a kid and par for the course I had an amazing collection of 80+ games and sold it all in by my late teens. I managed to get about a dozen games back since then but I really wanted to start building a big collection lately and NTSC games are just too expensive. Plus I love the look of famicom carts. And the Twin Famicom

raf World was the most expensive of that lot at around $25, everything else was an avg of $6 apiece. I think I'm at around 35 carts and 10 disks right now. For the stuff like Lickle, Gimmick, Battle Formula, and even fan translated stuff, I'll probably get an Everdrive.

Peagles

:(

I'm sure it'll be fine but I've never been a fan of paying upfront for stuff like this. With stuff like Kickstarter you know it's all part of the deal, but with any product you order from a store or something online I think they should only charge at dispatch.

That is shady as hell. I order Sonic statues from First4Figures, who takes a small deposit ($10-$20) while the statue is being produced. Just enough to be committed to your order to some degree without them taking the whole purchase cost and making you feel like you're kickstarting the product.

Mercutio

Analogue seems shady. I have my doubts of a Christmas release since there's no footage of running hardware yet like you say, Chitta

They took money on a product that they had no idea how to really make at the time. I'm sure they're closing in, but it's a gamble of just stupid proportions on their part. Don't sell something unless you can make it.

Teknoman

The NES generation of games onward tend to age much better than those before it. Especially the games that were pretty well made in the first place.

mltplkxr

That's disheartening to hear. I was really looking forward to the Analogue NT too. Let's hope it turns out well for you.

Peltz

Last weekend, I did my first serious play through of Mega Man 2 since I used to play it a friend's home back in 1990. Quickman level and Wily's Castle part 3 vexed me, but what a fantastic game, every bit as good now as it was then.

All of the NES MM games are still fun and hold up well. They really epitomize how to a game can be fun, challenging, and oldschool but without feeling frustrating.

-KRS-

Looking through that gallery, I also liked this one:
009.jpg

I can read Dragon Quest IV on that sign, so I guess it's the launch of that game. Damn lol.

All of the NES MM games are still fun and hold up well. They really epitomize how to a game can be fun, challenging, and oldschool but without feeling frustrating.

The only part where it can be frustrating is some of those special bosses. Like in MM2 there's that uh... wall-mounted-cannons boss which is pretty bullshit. And in the first and third one there's the yellow devil. But other than such instances the games are really solid and holds up very well indeed.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
What's the best way to clean cart contacts without opening em up? Alcohol and qtips?

That's what I do. Rubbing alcohol.

I usually mix 1:1 water to avoid that white filmy residue on the contacts that alcohol. But I've been told that might be counter-productive because there are minerals in the water. Anyway... my carts seem to be fine long term. They boot every time, which is the goal.

Wipe em dry with a dry q-tip when you're done, too.

Teknoman

Wow...watching Diggin the Carts episode 2. Had no idea that the composer of the majority of the best Sunsoft music (which is some of the best 8 bit music period) thought that no one really liked his tracks that much, and thats why he quit composing.

Didnt find out until recently, a few years back on youtube of all things, that people loved his stuff, and a band actually played a cover of something from Gimmick. That made him want to get back into composing.

-KRS-

Split an eraser and run it up and down the contacts.

Ideally just upen the cart tho.

Yeah you should just get one of those bits to open the carts with. It's definitely worth it. I also use the eraser method to get the dirt off the contacts, and then wipe off the residue with isopropyl alcohol. But without opening the carts you won't get them as clean as if you do. Still better than nothing though.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-gmSspiHsraA/Ta4tBAu2qVI/AAAAAAAAFHQ/PVFOz6ctXe8/s1600/P1060234.jpg

This picture is lovely.

A nice, healthy serving of Famicom carts. Love it.
Also that's an interesting way to store the carts. Not very space efficient I guess but it looks pretty neat. I wonder if those shelves are custom made or if they were made for audio cassette tapes originally.

Wow...watching Diggin the Carts episode 2. Had no idea that the composer of the majority of the best Sunsoft music (which is some of the best 8 bit music period) thought that no one really liked his tracks that much, and thats why he quit composing.

Didnt find out until recently, a few years back on youtube of all things, that people loved his stuff, and a band actually played a cover of something from Gimmick. That made him want to get back into composing.

Is that Naoki Kodaka? I still haven't watched that series yet. Need to get on that.

I won a CIB copy of Hogan's Alley on eBay.

me: Please ship game in a box so that it doesnt get crushed
seller: But i always use bubble mailers and its ok
me: Dont even think about it

putermcgee

I went ahead and picked up the AV Famicom that was at a shop nearby.

For about 7500 yen, I got:
AV Famicom console
manual
2 dogbone controllers
AC adapter
AV cables

Comparatively, I found these in Akihabara:
21800 yen for a boxed AV Famicom (assumed to have the cables and controllers, no clue about the condition)
12700 yen for a super yellowed AV Famicom with only the one controller (no cables, no box)

That place is a huge ripoff since it's so popular and they get a lot of tourist traffic.

I also saw a boxed Fire Emblem for 1780 yen, where I paid 500, and a boxed Dr. Mario for something around 2000 yen, where I paid about 300. It's crazy to shop in Akihabara.

D.Lo

Comparatively, I found these in Akihabara:
21800 yen for a boxed AV Famicom (assumed to have the cables and controllers, no clue about the condition)
12700 yen for a super yellowed AV Famicom with only the one controller (no cables, no box)

That place is a huge ripoff since it's so popular and they get a lot of tourist traffic.

I also saw a boxed Fire Emblem for 1780 yen, where I paid 500, and a boxed Dr. Mario for something around 2000 yen, where I paid about 300. It's crazy to shop in Akihabara.
Hmm, places to go then please? I'm heading there in four weeks.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Mandarake is the only decent big chain for retro shit in great shape if you don't wanna get fleeced. Outside of that there are resale shops like hardoff and local places, but you never know what you are gonna find.

eXistor

Got back from a retro convention a few hours back and got me some cheap famicom games (€3,- each). I had no idea what the 3 on the right were , but two of them were by Konami so I thought why not and the other one just looked interesting (turned out to be kind of a Zelda clone, pretty cool from what I've played). I always wanted to try Takeshi's Challenge, just for the heck of it.

IGkIKdZ.jpg

no where else you can store them? selling off my old collection is one of my biggest regrets on a brighter note i got cobra command

Ehh. I could keep them at my parents house, but seems pointless to me. Not the first time I've ditched a collection. Give it a few years and I'll probably feel the itch again and dive back in. I'll still go around to garage sales as I enjoy hunting for stuff.

I also have a bunch of stuff already at my parents house that my siblings, nieces, and nephews all play when we're there. So, I'll still have a good amount of stuff even after clearing out the huge lot I have at home.

putermcgee

I moved to Japan about 4 years ago, and my aunt said she wouldn't let me store anything at her house. I had a huge collection of limited edition GBAs, rare PS1, PS2, Game Cube, and GBA games, and a bunch of sweet accessories. I ended up selling them in a hurry because time ran out and I had no other options. That remains one of my life's biggest mistakes because now I see the same stuff I used to have, and the prices are not only much higher than I originally paid, but several times higher than what I sold them for.

My advice to anyone who collects and has to move or otherwise potentially get rid of their collection, is to get a small storage unit. It's totally worth the price. That, or beg friends and family to hang onto stuff (split small boxes among houses, and keep a list of where things are).

This is especially important for people who can get a little obsessive or neurotic about collecting. I have a problem where if something is numbered, and the total number is relatively small, I feel compelled to collect the whole set. Or if something's my absolute favorite, I often end up buying multiple copies for no goddamn reason. My current stupid thing is buying GB/GBC/GBA games that have non-standard shells (like Pokemon Pinball or Robopon).

Mandarake is the only decent big chain for retro shit in great shape if you don't wanna get fleeced. Outside of that there are resale shops like hardoff and local places, but you never know what you are gonna find.
I like going to Hard-Off myself, especially in suburban areas where they're less likely to overprice their goods. Plus, I get a good giggle when I see the name of the store. Other options under the same company chain include Book-Off, Book-Off Bazaar, and Hobby-Off. Those all usually have at least a small selection of games.

I've never intentionally gone to a Mandarake, but that's because I never paid attention to the name. I used to live in Nakano, which is where I think their main set of stores is. Looking at their site, it still looks expensive, but I might check it out in person anyway.

Teknoman

Ehh. I could keep them at my parents house, but seems pointless to me. Not the first time I've ditched a collection. Give it a few years and I'll probably feel the itch again and dive back in. I'll still go around to garage sales as I enjoy hunting for stuff.

I also have a bunch of stuff already at my parents house that my siblings, nieces, and nephews all play when we're there. So, I'll still have a good amount of stuff even after clearing out the huge lot I have at home.

Well that's good to know. Always feels strange to see someone sell off everything, but just a bit to make space isn't that odd.

I feel that that is actually the oddest reason to sell games off since they don't take up a ton of space anyway.

I have an entire room taken up by it right now between the hundreds of SNES and NES games, good amount of Genesis and Sega CD, bit of N64, giant ass CRT... all of that is going. That doesn't include the CRT TV, NES, SNES, Genesis, Dreamcast, N64, or PSX and the handful of mostly multiplayer games I keep at my parents house for all us to play when we go there.

I'm going to start giving guitar lessons out of my house this week and have been recording some stuff with my sister in law. It's just for fun, not trying to have a fucking music career or anything. But, essentially I've decided I want to turn that room into a music room for me to give my lessons out of and whatnot. Between my music and video games, music wins as far as having a dedicated room to it.

Teknoman

iof65WDpdLJvF.jpg

World 7 and World 8 were actually much harder than I remember them. Especially World 8.

...actually World 8 is just as hard as I remember it being.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Don't use Brasso on carts, you'll remove the gold finish and make them susceptible to rust.

I wouldn't say "Don't use Brasso", but I would say to use Brasso only as a last resort. Sometimes it's the only way to save a cart.

I have an entire room taken up by it right now between the hundreds of SNES and NES games, good amount of Genesis and Sega CD, bit of N64, giant ass CRT... all of that is going. That doesn't include the CRT TV, NES, SNES, Genesis, Dreamcast, N64, or PSX and the handful of mostly multiplayer games I keep at my parents house for all us to play when we go there.

I'm going to start giving guitar lessons out of my house this week and have been recording some stuff with my sister in law. It's just for fun, not trying to have a fucking music career or anything. But, essentially I've decided I want to turn that room into a music room for me to give my lessons out of and whatnot. Between my music and video games, music wins as far as having a dedicated room to it.

What kind of music do you make?

I just learned something that blew my mind: you can duck in Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! by tapping down twice.

I've been playing it for 25 years and I never knew that.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Bought loose copies of Pirates! and Vice: Project Doom at the thrift store the other day. Never heard of the former, latter I remember from Nintendo Power but never played it.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Recently completed Gargoyles Quest 2 which was as great as expected, but today i plowed through Power Blade in about an hour, and WOW this game is short but oh so sweet. Definitely deserves to be mentioned along the lined of Shatterhand and Shadow of the Ninja for semi-obscure but great action-plattformers on the system. And of course it doesnt hurt that all those games share a somewhat futuristic and sytopian theme which I think really fits the colour palette on the system. Anyways, very much looking forward to Power Blade 2 after this!

Teknoman

Bought loose copies of Pirates! and Vice: Project Doom at the thrift store the other day. Never heard of the former, latter I remember from Nintendo Power but never played it.

Oh man you're in for some fun. Vice is like the precursor to what you see in Platinum Studios / stylish yet nonsensical action games today.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

Best thing is to shop the smaller places, the Hard Offs, the Hobby Offs, Book Off, Mandarake (though the one in Shibuya doesn't specialize in games... don't bother unless you like toys).

Then go to Super Potato and other overpriced Akiba joints on your way out of the country. Buy what you couldn't find elsewhere.

Oh and there's been a lot of talk of Akiba "picked clean" and "overpriced", which is true in relative terms to how it used to be, but compared to America and everywhere else, it's still a retro gaming paradise.

D.Lo

I like going to Hard-Off myself, especially in suburban areas where they're less likely to overprice their goods. Plus, I get a good giggle when I see the name of the store. Other options under the same company chain include Book-Off, Book-Off Bazaar, and Hobby-Off. Those all usually have at least a small selection of games.

I've never intentionally gone to a Mandarake, but that's because I never paid attention to the name. I used to live in Nakano, which is where I think their main set of stores is. Looking at their site, it still looks expensive, but I might check it out in person anyway.
Best thing is to shop the smaller places, the Hard Offs, the Hobby Offs, Book Off, Mandarake (though the one in Shibuya doesn't specialize in games... don't bother unless you like toys).

Then go to Super Potato and other overpriced Akiba joints on your way out of the country. Buy what you couldn't find elsewhere.

Oh and there's been a lot of talk of Akiba "picked clean" and "overpriced", which is true in relative terms to how it used to be, but compared to America and everywhere else, it's still a retro gaming paradise.

Thanks dudes!

I'm most likely after more obscure stuff, not anything usually 'desirable' (Dracula X etc). I can and have gotten most things I want online over the last 15 years.

One idea I have is finding a Mark III. And maybe some good condition Famicom controllers.

Top Bottom