• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

-KRS-

Bringing this conversation between myself and D.Lo over here from the Samus Returns thread because this is a more appropriate place. I mentioned I wanted to play through Metroid on my new FDS setup soon, which led to:

LOL, so after tracking down an RGB modded AV Famicom, an NES cart converter, FDS adaptor and the FDSStick so I can the most complete, reliable and authentic 8-bit Nintendo experience ... I am now privy to this flaw. Damn you, D.Lo! I'll just have to see how bad it is and live with it, though, because I'm not at all interested in an original Famicom with those wired controllers.

While we're on the subject, my OG famicom seems to have lower volume in games with expansion audio for some reason. It becomes really apparent when it plays regular sound effects using the built-in audio chip since they play a bit louder. Is that something that can be fixed? The only mod it has that I know of is the regular AV mod

Played a bit of VS Excitebike today. I realize that, as a kind of expansion rather than a sequel, it's a perfect fit for the FDS. But I'm just surprised that Nintendo didn't release it in the west as a budget title or something, or maybe toss in a new gameplay mode or minigame and do so. A battery save for your courses and 2-player head-to-head gameplay seems like it might have ben worthy of another cart release in the US, given that the first game was so well known. Maybe its time had simply passed by then. It was release in Dec 88 so it would have been 89 before it could have come here. It's a 84 initial release, so five years ...

sleepnaught

Hey guys, I've decided I want to pick a NES. I've been reading about some consoles replacing the 72 pin reader and how it ruins the cartridges with its "death grip". Is this true? Should I only look for one that's all original?

BTails

So gents, I had an, um, interesting night with my Famicom last night. I started by playing "Gotta Protectors: Amazon's Running Diet", which is a brand new, free game to celebrate the 3rd anniversary of Gotta Protectors on the 3DS. The music by Yuzo Koshiro is top notch, and the game is actually kinda fun in a repetitive way. That being said, it's definitely NSFW.

This led me to bounce around, playing a few other "Unlicensed" games on my Everdrive, before settling on Idol Shisen Mahjong. It's actually a really fun variation of Shanghai (Matching Mahjong tiles to clear a board) on a timer,
with ladies who get progressively more undressed every couple levels
. I only planned on checking it out for a moment, but ended up getting sucked in because it was really fun. Looks like it eventually made it's way to North America
without the nudity
as Tiles of Fate.

Hey guys, I've decided I want to pick a NES. I've been reading about some consoles replacing the 72 pin reader and how it ruins the cartridges with its "death grip". Is this true? Should I only look for one that's all original?
I stuck to original and tried cleaning the pins but the reliability just got worse and worse. I put in a Blinking Light Win connector and tray and it was the best thing I ever did. They are relatively cheap and easy to install would recommend.

or you can get a top loader. so much easier, less maintenance.

It only does RF though, which is a problem unless you go into RGB modding and whatnot.

I would replace the pin connector, unless the NES magically works already, and make sure you don't push the cartridge down which causes the problem in the first place.

Also, clean your cartridges.

I had a toaster with a third-party connector for years. It was rock solid and worked really well, so long as I had clean carts. But it also had a tight grip. So I bought a refurbished OEM connector from eBay. They're extremely easy to put in yourself, and while you're in there, you can disable the 10NES chip (also dead simple). Between a refurbished connector, clean carts and no lockout chip, you should have a rock solid console that works every time, doesn't grip your carts and costs next to nothing.

So gents, I had an, um, interesting night with my Famicom last night. I started by playing "Gotta Protectors: Amazon's Running Diet", which is a brand new, free game to celebrate the 3rd anniversary of Gotta Protectors on the 3DS. The music by Yuzo Koshiro is top notch, and the game is actually kinda fun in a repetitive way. That being said, it's definitely NSFW.

Loaded this up on my Everdrive last night as well. The graphics and sound are incredible. One of the most impressive NES games for sure.

dubc35

If you order from there now, there's no chance they send you one with a death grip, right?
I never understood that. I have two installed. It's more difficult to remove the carts than an OEM 72 pin but I don't find it to be a "death grip." I bought one about 18 months ago and the other last month. Every game works all the time, every time so I love mine.

I got my Blinking Light Win 3 or 4 months ago, it is tight but I don't think it's excessive. I think it mostly feels that way because it's hard to get really good leverage when you are taking the cartridge out.

-KRS-

I never understood that. I have two installed. It's more difficult to remove the carts than an OEM 72 pin but I don't find it to be a "death grip." I bought one about 18 months ago and the other last month. Every game works all the time, every time so I love mine.

Edit: Oh wait your talking about the BLW one. Never mind this!

I had a gold-plated third party connector with a very tight grip that worked great for years. Eventually though, one of the pins bent out so that it pointed down and was visible if you looked into the NES. When this happened I also noticed that it had made a permanent scratch on one of the pins on my Castlevania cartridge. :/

Not wanting that to happen again, I dug out the OEM one and boiled it since I had read about doing that at that point. And it worked! So now I use the OEM one again. I do have to push some carts down though.

I should add, if the poster doesn't know, that disabling the 10NES negates the need to push down your carts entirely.

I have never used a BLW so I can't speak for it.

IrishNinja

^been curious bout both of those, i know when bapho modded my NES he fixed the slot and for a while i wasn't even pushing games down. thankfully, now i can just leave the N8 in there & not really mess with it

eXistor

My lone NES pickup at a local retro-fair.

2zQqZNY.jpg

BTails

Thanks for always doing this Tekno, it's such a fund thread. And speaking of, how about a cross-post??

I started Sweet Home on the NES last night. First off, I'm glad I waited on playing this until I could run the translated patch on actual hardware, because the game itself is a blast to play.

The atmosphere right off the bat is excellent. Music is subtly creepy, and the mansion itself seems huge and imposing. A lot has been written about this being the inspiration for Biohazard/Resident Evil, and I can see that in two ways: of course the setting of a creepy mansion with puzzles, traps, and monsters is similar. But also the item management is very tricky, especially with the fact that you have five characters and can only party into groups of three.

BEER BREAK!

Alley Kat Brewery out of Edmonton makes probably the best Pumpkin Beer in existence. New this year is the fact that they're selling it in 6-packs, and that bars are starting to get it on tap, even here in Calgary. Delicious, and not too strong, I have a mansion to explore...

I got through most of the first floor. Very early on you're given a tip that you can use your character's unique tools in battle, and this makes some of the early fights against groups of worms and bats easier, provided you have the right person in your group. Another trick I thankfully learned early on, is you can "Call" to other characters not in your party, who can then join battle and earn experience as well. I have a feeling I'll have to split up more often later in the game, so I'm trying to level every one rather evenly.

Finally, whereas nothing has been difficult yet, I wouldn't call this an "easy" game. I'm trying not to use a guide at all... Though I had to look up how to rescue one of my characters who had fallen through a board I place over a gap.
(You have to face the fallen character and click "Team", which normally adds them to a party together)
. No guide means taking notes and drawing maps! Personally, I love this kind of stuff, but players not used to old-school gaming may be turned off, as the game doesn't hold your hand.

All and all, I'm loving it so far, and looking to playing more over the next couple days. I have 5 bottles of Alley Kat left, we'll see how many it takes before I'm onto the next game!

IrishNinja

Thanks for always doing this Tekno, it's such a fund thread. And speaking of, how about a cross-post??

I started Sweet Home on the NES last night. First off, I'm glad I waited on playing this until I could run the translated patch on actual hardware, because the game itself is a blast to play.

congrats man! god, that was a halloween game for me a few years back & its still yet to be topped in my book, that one instantly joined my top 10 for the system.

IrishNinja

Yeah this is on my repro-list too! Where do you get the from?

i bought mine years ago from a seller on ninteoage (...) who did fantastic work on the cheap ($30-40, with discounts on multiple orders...ive seen worse!) but because she was presumed to be "undercutting", others on the board/her competition ratted her out to paypal and she had to change up her entire model. it sucked.

related: nintendoage prolly has some nice people but there's a lot of hypocritical garbage there too. i literally almost caught a ban just asking if anyone could do a repro Earthbound box for me, since my OG one got destroyed in a move years ago.

BTails

Great post BTails! I love content like that. I really need to play sweet home this month but my God this month is stacked!

Thanks Socks! I played some more tonight too. Crossposting from the 31 Days of Horror thread:

I spent some more time with Sweet Home tonight... With the help of a couple more beer, I made some pretty good progress. First off, I'm really starting to get the hang of the menu system, I can swap parties, items, weapons, and other things pretty quickly. I've also learned the 5 characters names, so I don't have to refer to my cheat sheet anymore.

I'm also starting to see some pretty awesome monster designs. The "Grave" consistently spews blood. The Hound seems to be rather weak to certain weapons, so you have to make sure everyone's carrying something different (Axe, Sword, Spear... I even found a Club and a "Shiv"!).

I found some traps... Which ended up getting one of my characters killed. Thankfully my last save game wasn't too far back. Also, the death animations are pretty brutal: poor Akiko splatted against, then slid down the wall.

After some nasty sections via candlelight where you can only see a few squares ahead of the characters, plus some puzzle solving, I was able to make it to the garden. Here I'm in the shed, where I was able to turn on the generator! This should let me get past a previously impassable area.

Two more beer down, and a ton more of the mansion mapped (Not pictured are other maps in later pages of my notebook). I'm still enjoying the heck out of the game, and have been pretty careful about levelling my characters, so nothing's been particularly challenging so far. I can't wait to continue and get further! Mainly to see what gruesome enemies ahead me in the next section...

I don't see the appeal of repro carts when you can just buy 1 Everdrive and play all those translations.

Many people are collectors in this thread. ROMs on an everdrive don't have the same appeal to some of us. I don't do repros for the most part. There would only be 3-4 games I'd ever want as a repro, if that. An everdrive might be overkill. Just a different way to go about it, that's all.

SScorpio

Many people are collectors in this thread. ROMs on an everdrive don't have the same appeal to some of us. I don't do repros for the most part. There would only be 3-4 games I'd ever want as a repro, if that. An everdrive might be overkill. Just a different way to go about it, that's all.

The collector angle makes sense for originals. Having a repro would just bug my OCD as I know it's not original.

A cart like the Everdrive does have its pros and cons. It lets you experience games on the original hardware without spending hundreds of dollars for a game that's actually not very good.

And the ability to play homebrew and ROM hacks is nice as there are some good ones out there. Stuff like a real save system and map in the original Metroid: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1186/

The only downside I've run into is the too many games, and not just sitting down and playing one to completion.

This is the one you want:

tumblr_inline_nq9rtmgeeI1t39hlb_1280.jpg

Family Computer 1983 - 1994 by the Tokyo Metropolitan Museum of Photography

It has photographs of every Famicom game box, as well as interviews with the usual gang like Miyamoto and Itoi, but surprisingly has an introduction by the late old man himself, Hiroshi Yamauchi, and it's bilingual in Japanese and English, which makes it extra desirable.
Is that a Gundam Wing lunch box in the background?

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I've used this place once for a SMB2j: http://www.nesreproductions.com. I also got a VS SMB last Xmas, but can't recall the site. And I bought a Little Samson from local Craigslist.

Thanks, checking this out now.

About repros, I actually own the Super Famicom-version of Ogre Battle, but the seller had patched the cart with a translation patch. Meaning my Super Famicom-game is the original - but still possible to play for me without knowledge of japanese. But i guess the data on the cart is altered, making it slightly less genuine. Still a good way to do it imo.

Thanks, checking this out now.

About repros, I actually own the Super Famicom-version of Ogre Battle, but the seller had patched the cart with a translation patch. Meaning my Super Famicom-game is the original - but still possible to play for me without knowledge of japanese. But i guess the data on the cart is altered, making it slightly less genuine. Still a good way to do it imo.

Some people just think it’s nice to own things and fill shelves. That’s what I meant by invoking collectors.

alf717

Was playing Pirates! this weekend. Scored a 100 (King's Advisor) off an old save I had from back in the day.

I hope I'm not talk to the walls here =(

Top Bottom