• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

ankle-rocker

Neo Member
Uninvited was the sequel to Shadowgate, right? you still die at like every turn, yeah? man i gotta get around to that some sometime

Not a sequel, but made by the same people and plays the same.
Shadowgate, Deja Vu, and Uninvited. That's like the NES Holy Trilogy there.

hodgy100

I need to start buying some games for my nes, only have the Mario / duck hunt combo cart from my NES Action set.

Saying that the system needs a new set of pins for the cartridge slot too... might get one on order now I can afford it

IrishNinja

speaking of, i just got a cleaning kit (in box) for a song, hoping that helps this thing run some games better, though some need a cleaning.

does replacing said pins usually improve things a lot on the system's end? how hard is that to pull off?

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
my carts have my boxes on a rack
wallogames_zps0b596f47.jpg

double dragon
double dragon 3
silk worm
ninja gaiden 3
lode runner
ikari warriors 2
spy vs spy
totally rad
punch out
excite bike
kung fu heroes
bubble bobble
orb 3d
defender 2
magmax
blades of steel
back to the future
donkey kong
operation wolf
street fighter 2010
friday the 13th
shadow of the ninja
life force
journey to silius
donkey kong 3
tmnt 2
galaga
flying warriors
world class track meet
mickey mousecapade
star tropics
mega man
gremlins 2
ad&d dragon strike
jakal
commando
battletoads
marble madness
jaws
zelda 2
karate champ
tag team wrestling
wizards and warriors 2
super mario 3
faxanadu
kickle cubicle
castelian
to the earth
hydlide
joe & mac
snakes revenge
addams family
stinger
skull & crossbones
base wars
phantom fighter
rampart
air fortress
tmnt 3
shatterhand
mega man 4
metal gear
solstice
battletoads vs double dragon
bee 52
yo noid
wurm
milon's secret castle
super spike v'ball
maniac mansion
mendel palace
wizards and warriors
shadowgate
wrath of the black manta
robo warrior
mission impossible
spiderman return of the sinister six
the mafat conspiracy
dragon spirit
battle chess
guardian legend
tengen pac-man
freedom force
bionic commando
mighty bomb jack
rescue rangers
skate or die
metal mech
videomation
gargoyles quest 2
castle quest
rolling thunder
platoon
guerrilla war
batman return of the joker
mtv remote control
tetris 2
karnov
blaster master
monster party
break thru
rygar
klashball
castlevania 2
tmnt
raid on bungeling bay
joust
circus caper
urban champion
batman
mario bros
pictionary
balloon fight
chessmaster
astyanax
double dare
gauntlet 2
kid niki
metroid
silent service
deja vu
destiny of an emperor
puss n boots
wizardry
iron tank
treasure master
section z
bucky o hare
blues brothers
goonies 2
time lord
ghostbusters
super glove ball
super mario 2
dynowarz
dr chaos
dr mario
low g man
laser invazion
anticipation
amagon
8 eyes
rad gravity
secross
super mario/duck hunt
ninja gaiden 2
wild gunman
rad racer
strider
toki
pirates!
duck tales
super dodgeball
top gun
star tropics 2
gyruss
star voyager
archon
a nightmare on elm street
mega man 3
bomberman
mega man 2
festers quest
gyromite
tengen gauntlet
dig dug 2
pinbot
demon sword
super sprint
kung fu
rescue the embassy mission
mach rider
rc pro am
swords & serpants
skate or die 2
bart vs the world
conflict
city connection
papper boy
bugs bunny crazy castle
nemo the dream master
adventure island
adventures of lolo
bettlejuice
knight rider
duck tales 2
t&c surf
ikari warriors
slalom
the immortal
duck hunt
gun.smoke
bayou billy
zelda
micro machines
crystalis
castlevania
wizards and warriors 3
megaman 6
super off road
popeye
klax
smash tv
double dragon 2
lunar pool
tiger heli
kings of the beach
kirbys adventure
terminator 2
rush n attack
the uninvited
predator
ghoul school
wall street kid
tetris
ghosts n goblins
xenophobe
a boy and his blob
dragon warrior
kabuki quantum fighter
contra
hogans alley
willow
cpbra triangle
solomons key
stealth atf
qbert
river city ransom
castlevania 3
ad&d heroes of the lance
baseball

ankle-rocker

Neo Member
@Rygar 8 Bit
That's a really nice collection there!

I just moved into a new home, and setting up my NES-101 is always such a great moment.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
funny enough i didnt know what i had till i just typed that list so bought a couple more
ninja kid
bad dudes
gumshoe
shingen ruler
solar jetman
north and south

The NES is probably my biggest surprise in my history with video games. I only started getting interested in them relatively late and noticed that working my way backwards through consoles wasn't always the most pleasant experience. I was ready to draw the line with Master System games, as the quality was getting a little too rough. I am very glad I didn't though. The NES has so great titles that definitely would have been a loss has I not played them. .

That is not to say they were all gold. In fact there are many games and entire genres I can't stand on it. In spite of this, there was still plenty to enjoy.

The biggest shocker to me was how many platform games completely knocked it out of the park, in spite of it being such a prevalent genre. I even made a thread about it the other day. There's a certain elegance to the simplicity in many of these titles. Because of this simplicity, they were able to try out many cool variations.

I personally am quite fond of Capcom's Disney games and Sunsoft's output. The big game I've been looking out for for a while now is Mr. Gimmick. Looks crazy ambitious for an NES title in virtually every fascet. I hope that maybe one day it gets a Virtual Console release so I can retroactively support the developer for it.

Muku

My favorite system ever. Freaking love the NES. Last I checked the original boxy one stopped working. Which is okay because when top loader first came out we got that. But now I'm wondering if it's the 72 pin connector. When I get back to my stuff in the States, might try to replace it to see if that's the cause.

Collect NES games and love it all. Have anywhere from 100-120 I believe. It's been a few years since I've been able to bask in my NES collection, and I didn't have a proper list before I had to leave it behind. But I mean to correct that when I move back Stateside. Miss my NES stuff I think more than anything else.

Too many awesome games. I still have a lot of common things I can pick up. I spent a few years just looking for more out of the way stuff. But when I get back I'm collecting everything. Though, I'm kind of curious, what is everyone's rarest NES stuff that they have? Game or hardware or accessory or whatever. I just love all things NES. :3

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Oh God. I could go on forever about NES games.

I have 248 NES games (mixed NTSC/PAL-A/PAL-B), and 79 Famicom. Then there's 8 NES repro carts, 2 of which I made myself.
1 NES PAL-B
1 NES USA
1 Famicom HVC-101
3 NES Clones (Retro Duo, 2x Retro Entertainment System)
4 Famiclones (Yarou 3, Famulator, Game Cassette Computer NEXT and NEXT II)

Capcom, Sunsoft, and Konami were generally good stuff.
Mega Man 2+3, Castlevania 1-3, Blaster Master, etc. Simply awesome.
Destiny of an Emperor favorite RPG.

One day I'll write my own NES game.

Kokonoe

Banned
NES rules, and although I like the SNES a lot, the NES gave me far many more amazing experiences than the SNES.

I remember I made some odd name choices when I was a young child for FF1 NES, I had these names for the party.

Red Mage: Link
Black Mage: Muk (from Pokemon)
Blackbelt: Dino (No idea)

Like I said in the SNES thread, Street Fighter 2010 is the most misunderstood great game on the NES (because of its title, obviously...). My collection features 190+ games (I pretty much own all the good or great games on the system save Snow Brothers and Flintstones 2) and SF2010 is on the short list of games I come back to regularly. Definitely in my personal top 10 for the system. Everyone with an open mind should try it (please give it some time to get a hang of the controls).

Love the thread, will be back for more as the Nintendo Entertainment System is my favourite console and the reason I play and collect video games today.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Like I said in the SNES thread, Street Fighter 2010 is the most misunderstood great game on the NES (because of its title, obviously...). My collection features 190+ games (I pretty much own all the good or great games on the system save Snow Brothers and Flintstones 2) and SF2010 is on the short list of games I come back to regularly. Definitely in my personal top 10 for the system. Everyone with an open mind should try it (please give it some time to get a hang of the controls).

Love the thread, will be back for more as the Nintendo Entertainment System is my favourite console and the reason I play and collect video games today.

Street Fighter 2010: The Final Fight is good indeed. It was pretty damn hard the last time I played it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyKyv7UveGI

Street%20Fighter%202010%20-%20The%20Final%20Fight-2.png

Street_Fighter_2010.jpg

JavyOO7

I really liked Skate or Die back in the day.

Wrath of the Black Manta... I played it tons but could never beat it. Sad face.

Also, the Simpsons game for the NES wasn't bad either. But of course, I could never beat that either... there's a theme here...

But yeah, great system. Doubt my NES works anymore, though. I would never to get a new pin connector. Maybe I should rip all the games I have to digital, but I honestly do not know if that's legal or not.

No game managed to die in popularity as hard as Street Fighter 2010. It doesn't even manage to get remembered as an incredibly polished and creative beat 'em up with well crafted visuals as much as some weird off-shoot game where Ken Masters is fighting space mutants.

If it didn't carry the Street Fighter name it would generate a lot more positive curiosity, I think.

Street Fighter 2010: The Final Fight is good indeed. It was pretty damn hard the last time I played it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyKyv7UveGI

Street%20Fighter%202010%20-%20The%20Final%20Fight-2.png

Street_Fighter_2010.jpg
It is hard, but it's the type of game that rewards replays. Everytime I fired it up, I made incremental progress to the point where I didn't feel it was impossible anymore. (For the record, I play with the NES Advantage stick - auto-turbo is very helpful in this game.) Nowadays, I can beat the game every time (I consider myself average skilled in video games playing).

If it didn't carry the Street Fighter name it would generate a lot more positive curiosity, I think.
No doubt about that. The game is a very interesting platformer/beat 'em up with great new mechanics. Plus, the music is great (late 80s/early 90s Capcom music (well, up to and including Mega Man 7) was amazing).

ys45

Yay finally a NES thread !

I started last year collecting NES games so far i got :

Faxanadu CIB
Crystalis CIB
Dragon Spirits CIB
Legacy of the wizard CIB
The Guardian Legend CIB
Battle for Olympus CIB
Xexyz CIB (got this one on ebay brand new)
Air Fortress Cart
Both LoZ Cart
Dragon quest 1,2,3,4 CIB (Famicom version)

And i need a new NES/Famicom console badly, my old model is no longer working properly :/

My GF spent like 15 mins trying to make her Contra cart working :p

So im looking for the top loader model but he is quite rare and pricey .

Here is my NES collection. On top is the original NES my father purchased for us on August 19, 1988 (I managed to find the original receipt at my parents' place during Easter weekend :). In it, I inserted the original SMB pack-in cart we got along with the system.

My NES collection is proudly displayed in my living room and not in some crummy little basement room, lol - though that is bound to change when my GF and I move into our new house later this year.

Finally, here are some choice games from my collection. These are some of the rarest on the system. (I paid $150 for Little Samson, $100 for Bubble Bobble 2, $80 for Bonk, $60 for Rescue Rangers 2, $50 for Jetsons, but $10 each for Panic Restaurant, Power Blade 2, Dragon Fighter, Princess Tomato and Duck Tales 2.)

ankle-rocker

Neo Member
Yay finally a NES thread !

I started last year collecting NES games so far i got :

Faxanadu CIB
Crystalis CIB
Dragon Spirits CIB
Legacy of the wizard CIB
The Guardian Legend CIB
Battle for Olympus CIB
Xexyz CIB (got this one on ebay brand new)
Air Fortress Cart
Both LoZ Cart
Dragon quest 1,2,3,4 CIB (Famicom version)

And i need a new NES/Famicom console badly, my old model is no longer working properly :/

My GF spent like 15 mins trying to make her Contra cart working :p

So im looking for the top loader model but he is quite rare and pricey .

It did cost a bit... for sure. But the NES-101 top loader is a purchase I've never regretted for even a second. It's completely brilliant. Fires up like a dream every time.

SteveWD40

My first console, 10 years old and I went from the Spectrum to the NES with SMB3, it was like night and day.

Didn't it pretty much save the gaming industry?

Ankle-rocker, did you have your top loader modded? Me, I had to because those vertical lines were damn annoying... That being said, I really don't miss the OG model, so frustrating to have working.

baphomet

Just going to recommend that anyone with an original toaster NES that has issues with playing games occasionally, to disable the 10NES chip. Mine is the original I've had. Since 85, and even after putting a new 72pin adapter in there it was still not playing games as easily as it should have been. I decided to disable the chip and it literally works flawlessly now. All my games have been cleaned and they boot the first time now.

http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=431031 that's the guide I followed. It's really easy even if you're not used to doing anything like that before.

Maddux4163

Neo Member
This is my kind of thread. I think the NES is the best system out there.
Almost every game was extremely difficult, although at the time we didn't realize it. We accepted it and just kept trying until we accomplished what we set out to do in the games.

Countless nights I remember leaving my console on so that I wouldn't lose my progress.
I recently got back into buying games for it. I wish I could have every game boxed, but it's just way too expensive to go that route.

I don't bother with boxes. Most of the times you come across them they're just really ratty and gross, and I don't really have the space for them anyway.

IrishNinja

i gotta look up Zombie Nation now...

also, Tekno: while rounding up Retro-GAF, did PCE/TG-16/DUO etc have a thread? if not, it should sometime!

It did cost a bit... for sure. But the NES-101 top loader is a purchase I've never regretted for even a second. It's completely brilliant. Fires up like a dream every time.

its funny cause say with the SNES, i grew up with it & adore it but it's clearly inferior (aesthetically) to the Super Famicom, or EU version...id swap cases in a hearbeat.

but the ugly NES is so iconic, and the top loader so foreign (ive never even seen it used!), despite the fact it's vastly superior for not loading like ass...one day i'll prolly bite as well, if for no other reason than that adorable dogbone controller

ankle-rocker

Neo Member
@irishninja, As far as I'm concerned the "dogbone" is one of the most comfortable controllers I've ever had the joy of holding onto. I have one, and a slew of the original style. I reach for the dogbone every time though. It's pretty much perfect.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
its not a "must have" game but its really fun with a really crazy plot plus the box art has been engrained into my skull since the first time i saw it in gamepro the only down side is that its really short

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
So if a lot of the games we got on carts were originally Famicom Disk System-only games, does that mean US carts were seriously modified from what they originally were? Or were FDS games easily achievable on Japanese Famicom carts too?

@irishninja, As far as I'm concerned the "dogbone" is one of the most comfortable controllers I've ever had the joy of holding onto. I have one, and a slew of the original style. I reach for the dogbone every time though. It's pretty much perfect.
I don't like the way the A and B buttons are angled (not unlike the GBA SP). As it is, it's rather uncomfortable for my hands (I like the round edges though).

therapist

Nice thread!

I actually bought a fake nintendo not long ago with a bunch of games , so much fun.

The console sucks tho , retroduo i think it is - the sound is way off on some games and ruins it.

Gonna buy a real nintendo soon.

Managed to grab real copies of some of my faves :

Contra
Zelda
Double Dragon 1 + 2
River City Ransom
Castlevania
Ninja Gaiden 1 + 2
Bionic Commando
TMNT Arcade one

I want the mega man's but they are super expensive right now.

I have a few others but not home so cant remember.

I can now reach the last boss in Ninja Gaiden in one life , but i cant fucking beat the game.
Its too hard the last boss and his 3 different forms.

Castlevania i used to be able to beat , no idea how , its so fucking hard. Unable to now. lol.

Also , built the following with my freind :

Its a Zotac Ion ITX-T-U with 4gb ram + Win 8 , 500GB Hybrid SSD drive.
HDMI etc.

The NES i went to the fleamarket and got a non functioning one , with working ports (The Nes Mobo was toasted but everything else was ok) - for 10$.
The board was something like 220$ and the ram 20$ , the HD i already had from a laptop i sold a while back.

The power and reset buttons are wired to the motherboard and fully functional.
The nes ports are also fully functional after some soldering , which is really really nice.

]

Chittagong

Gold Member
The thing that blows my mind is how slow the product cycles were back then. You could release a product in one market in 1983, another 2 years later in 1985 and third market three years later in 1986 - after which it would go on for nearly a decade.

That's like PS4 coming in Japan this year in 2013, USA for Christmas 2015, Europe for Christmas 2016, and it would keep going until 2025 with new big games.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The thing that blows my mind is how slow the product cycles were back then. You could release a product in one market in 1983, another 2 years later in 1985 and third market three years later in 1986 - after which it would go on for nearly a decade.

That's like PS4 coming in Japan this year in 2013, USA for Christmas 2015, Europe for Christmas 2016, and it would keep going until 2025 with new big games.
I think maybe NOA had to convince everyone that this was something worth selling after the '84 crash.

ys45

Oh damn , i found someone on eBay selling an AV moded top loader model in very good shape for $250 shipped with some games and 2 controllers and Ac adapter.

EDIT: Oh the hell with it ! i just bought it :p

Varth

Might as well chip in with one of my faves, Holy Diver. Great Castlevania clone, and good OST to boot. Managed to snatch a complete copy while in Japan for TGS some time ago.

HolyDiver_frontcover.png

Also, so happy to have a copy of Duck Tales. I think prices are gonna go up with the remake announcement. I always get the itch to buy old stuff when they announce remakes, and end up getting robbed :D

Top Bottom