• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

womp

I can't wait for the HDMI modded Topleader kits that are supposed to come out this summer.

This picture doesn't show it but i love this monitor.
34901_423442337471_6153208_n_zps4a066cbd.jpeg

Still have mine, stored in its original box. I was a C64 user (my all time favorite system and well before NES came out) back in the day and 30 years later, it still runs like a champ. I used to play NES on it as well though. One of the best monitors ever made and I give you a lot of credit, sir, for using one. Kudos to you.

AFJKHwEHFKJDCSn CKEHRKEJ SDAS DIE DEIE DEK KILL FDMASA!

Somewhere in between when I got home from work (4:20) and now (8:50), Battle Kid 2 went from "in stock" to "temporarily unavailable."

Sigh.

Teknoman

Still dunno if its been answered, but whats the best way to play Famicom games on a front loader NES?

Also i'd really like a repro of Recca...

Stupid question: where is the Snes appreciation thread or the PS1/PS2 appreciation threads?

Opening post has a link to the ones available. Nothing for PS1/PS2 yet...

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Still dunno if its been answered, but whats the best way to play Famicom games on a front loader NES?

Basically just one of these:

There are many different brands, but it's all the same idea. Comes attached by a felt ribbon so you can pull the adapter/game out of the machine.

You can't play the games with the special sound capabilities, though (like Akumajo Densetsu/CV3).

KJA

Now on to Famicom! It's still small, but I'm making a trip to Japan, so it will grow.

IMG_3706.jpg

I really want that tray holder. It looks so cute lol.

BTW, I love my AV Famicom. I bought a brand new unit few years back on eBay but I couldn't resist opening it up and playing it. I'll post my small collection of games sometime soon.

Most people who came from Earthbound were probably pretty disappointed with this game, but I really enjoyed Mother/Earthbound Zero. Sure, it's your typical NES RPG in a lot of ways, but it's got a quite unique atmosphere and the writing, while not as good as Earthbound's, is just as quirky as you would expect.

So yeah, I really like the first Mother game. ...But I suppose that the gba version's fan translation is the better way to play the game.

I wanted to enjoy this but it's just too damn slow. The text, the walking, the combat, the menu navigation, it's just glacial. Shame because it's an OK game otherwise with charm out the wazoo.

BocoDragon

I really want that tray holder. It's looks so cute lol.

Just an audio cassette case holder if you hadn't guessed. They have the exact same dimensions as Famicom carts. Any kind of cassette rack will work a charm. Same goes for Master System and Genesis games too.

BTW, I love my AV Famicom. I bought a brand new unit few years back on eBay but I couldn't resist opening it up and playing it. I'll post my small collection of games sometime soon.

Do it up!

AV Fami owner here too, it's so perfect :D I remember mine especially because it was part of an auction that came with Final Fantasy 1-3, Rockman 2,4,5 and a few others. I was bidding on it and it hit around $150, was upset that I got outbid. Found out my g/f outbid me and it was my birthday present that year :)

Teknoman

There are many different brands, but it's all the same idea. Comes attached by a felt ribbon so you can pull the adapter/game out of the machine.

You can't play the games with the special sound capabilities, though (like Akumajo Densetsu/CV3).

Thats cool, i'd just import action/platformers that never released here like Splatterhouse Wanpaku Grafitti, Akumajou Special Boku Dracula-Kun, or maybe even Gun*Nac if the Fami version is cheaper. Are there any stores online that sell them for decent prices, or is it pretty much ebay or nothing.

Also is there any difference between the NES lifeforce and the arcade version (boss/stage wise)?

Oh and my library as of now:

jbvN3tZjhJY8rr.jpg

The only originals from the actual NES days: Bubble Bobble 2, Mega Man 2, Base Wars, TMNT 2, and Final Fantasy. The rest are things i've picked up again or for the first time within the last year or so.

KJA

Just an audio cassette case holder if you hadn't guessed. They have the exact same dimensions as Famicom carts. Any kind of cassette rack will work a charm. Same goes for Master System and Genesis games too.

Do it up!

eT2fCuxl.jpg

Please excuse me of the dust. I clearly didn't have time to clean it up before I took this shot lol.

Using an audio cassette holder is such a great idea. I'll have to look around to finding one. As for my collection, I haven't really been in the mood of collecting games lately. Importing games to Canada can get pretty costly when you're just buying a few games off eBay.

Teknoman

Still gotta fill in the Mega Man series, but i'm not in any rush (unless I should be...especially after all the MM1 price rise talk).

IrishNinja

i've got 2, wanted to go back for the others, but honestly? if the cost is that prohibitive, i can wait it out. fuggit; ive got anniversary collection on PS2, MM: Wily Wars on Genesis, prolly a VC copy if not gameboy...i'm okay for now

Teknoman

Yeah thats pretty much my line of thought. Kinda salty that Gun*Nac ( or any Compile games post Zanac...like GG Aleste 2 which looks amazing) is expensive...and the fact I cant shake the feeling i've seen the game loose at an outdoor fleamarket, and passed it off as some random lame release.

I know i've seen that logo/cover art somewhere...

More AV Famicoms. Also confirming NES games with converters look a bit silly in them, especially when compared to the other Nintendo systems.

Link to my NES collection HERE. It'd be nice if NintendoAge had all the Famicom games in their database like they have for Super Famicom. I have a pretty decent amount of Famicom games, too (admittedly about half are sports games, but it was a huge 70-game lot that I got with the system). One day I'll go in and add the games manually to the list.

My big hitters on Famicom:
Akumajou Densetsu/Castlevania III - Pretty much the reason I got an AV Famicom in the first place; then I realized how amazing of a system it is.
Kai no Bouken/The Quest of Ki - GCCX inspired me to get it, but it ended up being one of my favorite games.
Solomon no Kagi 2/Fire 'N Ice - Save battery is amazing for this game. Level edit mode too good.
Mother

Games I'm looking to import in the near future:
Seirei Densetsu Lickle/Little Samson - SOOOOO much cheaper
Akumajou Special: Boku Dracula Kun!
Holy Diver
Gimmick! - Yeah, right. These hardly ever show up anywhere. EDIT: Ironically, someone is selling their copy on NA for $150. Maybe if I had more spending money. I've been buying way too much aimlessly instead of aiming for the big stuff I really want.
Joy Mech Fight
Sweet Home

BocoDragon

Annoyingly, Mega Man 1 is the only game I ever managed to destroy. I was wild in 1999 and I hosted a party, and when it was all over, I found MM1 under a table leg, half destroyed and - kid you not - puked on by my little brother :p

So dumb, because that game was scarce even in the 90s. I only ever saw one copy in my life, at the Blockbuster, and that's the copy I bought when they were selling off their collection. In absolute numbers it isn't really rare, but I think few copies made it to Canada.

eT2fCuxl.jpg

Please excuse me of the dust. I clearly didn't have time to clean it up before I took this shot lol.

Using an audio cassette holder is such a great idea. I'll have to look around to finding one. As for my collection, I haven't really been in the mood of collecting games lately. Importing games to Canada can get pretty costly when you're just buying a few games off eBay.

Very cool! A couple of great games in there. I want Joy Mech Fight!

Collecting Fami is so fun... those multicolored carts are just too adorable.

And I'm in Canada too. Hopefully its easier to get carts when I go to Japan in a couple months. My girlfriend is bugging me about hotel choices as we speak...

As usual with these threads, I'm here to post my current collection! :p

As you can see, I have a top-loading NES. I used to have the original model NES, but I think my mom threw it away along with a handful of my first few NES games sometime when I was really young. Heh.

I still do have the NES controller from that original NES, though, which you can see in the bottom pic. I also have an orange Zapper and the "dog bone" NES controller, neither of which is pictured above, though.

...and, yes, I do have those bible games from Wisdom Tree. My dad worked at a church when I was little, so he brought them back from home one day. That's the one and only reason why I have those...though, they are hilarious at times, so I pop them in every once in a while for laughs. My friends and I had too much fun with those for all of the wrong reasons. Haha.

-KRS-

Man this thread makes me feel that my collection is inadequate. =/
I feel the need to spend a ton of money on NES games. But argh I said to myself that I was going to spend most of my collecting money on SNES games. Such a dilemma haha.

Teknoman

Man this thread makes me feel that my collection is inadequate. =/
I feel the need to spend a ton of money on NES games. But argh I said to myself that I was going to spend most of my collecting money on SNES games. Such a dilemma haha.

One step at a time. Actually another good way is to just go for whatever you're in the mood for...or just one of each genre per system when buying.

On that note, anyone ever play Totally Rad? One of the older Nintendo Power mags I ordered had a strategy section on it, and it doesnt look bad at all. Another case of Whomp'em ala Jaleco it seems...looking at some youtube videos.

Changed the japanese pre-teens to surfer teens, but of course the gameplay is the same.

BocoDragon

One step at a time. Actually another good way is to just go for whatever you're in the mood for...or just one of each genre per system when buying.

On that note, anyone ever play Totally Rad? One of the older Nintendo Power mags I ordered had a strategy section on it, and it doesnt look bad at all. Another case of Whomp'em ala Jaleco it seems...looking at some youtube videos.

Changed the japanese pre-teens to surfer teens, but of course the gameplay is the same.

A childhood friend of mine swore by Totally Rad. As you say, it was a total Famicom -> NES reskin. I'm still friends with that guy, so I should show him the Famicart sometime...

ankle-rocker

Neo Member
A childhood friend of mine swore by Totally Rad. As you say, it was a total Famicom -> NES reskin. I'm still friends with that guy, so I should show him the Famicart sometime...

I just did a review for Totally Rad for futureretrogamer.com as a guest writer.
It's here.
If anyone wanted to have a peek.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
forgot i bought these

pac-mania and werewolf the last warrior has a little bit of a soda stain problem but ill clean that up it works fine
pacmanthelastwarrior_zps4c075008.jpg

galaxy 5000 sort of a mix between micromachines and rock n roll racing its pretty cool
galaxy5000_zps94c12818.jpg

ys45

What about the top loader model, what would be a good converter for the NA model if i want to play Japanese games ?

RGB, S-Video.

How much do these monsters sell for?

sweet mystery of life, ive finally found youuuuuu

that thing prolly costs a small fortune when & if its for sale, doesn't it?
They sell for ...lots of money when they pop up on YJA.

Apparently they got really scarce because people would poach them by gutting their PPUs and installing them in the older, smaller Famicoms to take advantage of the picture quality. I think that's kind of shitty because the Titler is such a unique peice of hardware. I know I wouldn't destroy it if I had one, lol.

The NES is easily my favorite system of all time. It wasn't my first, and I've owned almost all consoles since then, but for some reason there is just something about it. I think I simply got more enjoyment from it than any other. To this day the graphics and sound do not disappoint me in any way despite the advances in the intervening years.

The NES is also the only system I "collect". I have a few special games I've kept from other systems but NES is the only one where I collect games just to have them all. Most everything else is sold after I am finished with it, especially the modern stuff. I really need to take some pictures of my stuff.

Have a few NES games in my closet that I haven't touched in years (Some boxed, even!)

I've always wanted to get a Famicom/Disk System (Or alternatively, an AV Famicom), but I've heard that FDC's have a tendency to get worn out easily...?

Nowadays, yes.

EDIT: If you're only starting out, you should buy lots on kijiji/Craigslist first. That way, you save the shipping fees. But when looking for specific games you really want to play NOW, eBay is you're best bet.

kunonabi

totally rad was one of my favorites. must have rented it at least 10 times from video village.

Maddux4163

Neo Member
Nowadays, yes.

EDIT: If you're only starting out, you should buy lots on kijiji/Craigslist first. That way, you save the shipping fees. But when looking for specific games you really want to play NOW, eBay is you're best bet.

Yea I figured so. Man, these NES games are extremely expensive. I'm a bit overwhelmed. There is so many that I want and it's hard to even know where to begin.

I've decided to start recollecting my childhood NES games.

My current collection is PS1 era and up.

VARIA

The EPROM flash programs I tried back then didn't seem to work on Vista, so I used a Netbook with XP on it. Of course I did manage to kill my Netbook's battery by having the EPROM the wrong way in the EPROM Programmer. Netbook still worked as long as it's connect to a power adapter luckily.

Good to know. Thanks for the info!

This is my humble Famicom collection:

It's an old pic. I've since gotten Super Mario USA.

drspeedy

Yea I figured so. Man, these NES games are extremely expensive. I'm a bit overwhelmed. There is so many that I want and it's hard to even know where to begin.

I've decided to start recollecting my childhood NES games.

eBay is hit or miss, but yeah, specific games that's about your only route unless you've got a booming market for used games in your area.

I've bought entire lots of games on craigslist just for the 1 game I want. Usually just turn around and sell the others again... sometimes I break even, but normally it doesn't matter if I can find that gem I was looking for.

Maddux4163

Neo Member
What do you guys think would be a reasonable price for Metroid CIB?

$30-$50

Typically you can find a nice condition boxed copy for around the $50 ball park.

I've seen crappy boxed copies sell for the $30 mark.

All depends on condition. Some people will ask $100 for it, but that's way overpriced.

$30-$50

Typically you can find a nice condition boxed copy for around the $50 ball park.

I've seen crappy boxed copies sell for the $30 mark.

All depends on condition. Some people will ask $100 for it, but that's way overpriced.

I see.

One I'm looking at is priced at $65. Box has its dings but isn't pristine (has some creasing like someone squeezed the middle of the box too hard and dented it a bit). Might throw in a $40-$45 off and see if they'll bite.

izakq

Such a great time. I remember the first time seeing the NES was in a Sears catalog. Right then and there, I said to myself that this is going to be mine. At 13, I worked my ass off doing chores all around the house, saving up for this and then finally I had enough. Gave the money to my mom, as she was heading into town while I was off at school, came back home to the glorious box of the NES w/SMB along with Excitebike.

"Wha...homework? Yeah, it's done." *Fingers crossed*

Nintendo-Power-Issue-9-Cover-Tetris.jpeg

The NES experience wasn't complete without a monthly helping of power.... NINTENDO Power, motherfuckers!

And don't lie, you know the first page you turned to every month was the 'Classified Information' section. Those vanilla-colored pages of code-filled goodness.

I only got the first issue of Nintendo Power. But before that, did anyone ever get those Nintendo Fun Club newsletters that they offered? I remember getting three of them until they went to Nintendo Power.

Savitar

When I was a kid Nintendo pretty much made me a videogame fanatic, sure I had played Atari, Coleco but holy crap Nintendo?! Totally blew my mind and I still perceive it as a golden age because you pretty much had everything. Action, sports, RPG's, whatever you wanted! I remember getting those Nintendo papers in the mail before Nintendo Power came out, in fact I'm pretty sure I got robbed on my money because my copies of NP were erratic at best arriving at first. Not sure if other Canadians had that problem. Getting free game guides due to subscribing, I use to read the Final Fantasy guide again and again.

First game I ever played was Ghost n Goblins. I stunk, like a lot of the people at the time getting use to the controller took a bit of time since it was different from anything I had used before which were often walkie talkie in shape or simply a joystick like controller. But once I got the hang of it I had a blast. Played anything and everything I could get my hands on. I got so many memories of it all. Even my parents who never played gaming use to play! They liked Super Mario brothers and that pinball game that had Mario in it, the mother got addicted to that.

One funny tidbit my little brother at a very young age use to cry every time you killed one of the "bowsers" in the castles by dropping them in lava.

Probably the greatest Nintendo related memory? For Christmas I got a NES! And a freaking TV which in those days was a big deal. A TV in my room, yeah I ruled.

Maddux4163

Neo Member

Nice. I prefer that one personally. I seen a couple auctions today on that, one was asking $62 or best offer (box in fair to good condition)

The other was $40 (box in meh but not terrible condition)

The thing I've learned with any NES game, the better condition the box is in, the higher the price. Your average joe common title can spike close to $100 with an almost brand new like box.

Top Bottom