• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Net Neutrality Is Trump’s Next Target, Administration Says

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swass

The Trump administration served notice on Thursday that its next move to deregulate broadband internet service companies would be to jettison the Obama administration's net neutrality rules, which were intended to safeguard free expression online.

The net neutrality rules, approved by the Federal Communications Commission in 2015, aimed to preserve the open internet and ensure that it could not be divided into pay-to-play fast lanes for web and media companies that can afford it and slow lanes for everyone else.

Supporters of net neutrality have insisted the rules are necessary to protect equal access to content on the internet. Opponents said the rules unfairly subjected broadband internet suppliers like Verizon, AT&T, Comcast and Charter to utility-style regulation.

In a news conference, Sean Spicer, the White House spokesman, mentioned the net neutrality rules affecting telecommunications and cable internet services, noting that the Obama administration had ”reclassified them as common carriers."

More at the link: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/30/technology/net-neutrality.html

A scary clip of Trump saying he wants to censor the internet: https://youtu.be/JcmiHx5Yf2I

Update:
Pai wants to overturn that reclassification, but wants internet providers to voluntarily agree to not obstruct or slow consumer access to web content, two officials said late Tuesday.
Three sources said Pai plans to unveil his proposal to overturn the rules as early as late April and it could face an initial vote in May or June.

U.S. FCC chairman plans fast-track repeal of net neutrality: sources

FZZ

Banned
Nah fuck this

This one worries me the most because it's the most likely one to get passed

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
This issue isn't even a party line issue. The people have spoken a million times. It's frustrating how these scumbags don't work for us.

Next target? Good news then, so it'll fail like healthcare and everyone will forget about it. Everything Trump touches backfires on him.

Sou Da

At least I can get a good laugh at the mental gymnastics Reddit and /pol/ will use to defend this.

e93383b1-b5b3-489d-b44e-324e181051a7.png

Geist-

Out of all of his shitty policies, I have a feeling this is the one most likely to be implemented. Fuck.

border

This is maybe one of the most scary propositions of the Trump administration, since it basically aims to reshape the flow of thoughts, ideas, and information on the internet. It wouldn't bother me if there were actual competition amongst ISPs, but there is too much room for collusion in a market where the only two choices are Comcast or AT&T.

Miletius

He's playing with fire.

Anonymous will find the pee pee tape.

Yeah. Sure. Anonymous will "save us."

Call me pessimistic, but I don't think enough old people care about this to do anything about this before it happens. So, goodbye net neutrality -- at least we can say we had a taste of the good times.

Korigama

Contemptuous old people who don't use computers or understand the internet continuing to attempt to make everything worse because money. Lovely.

Xe4

Banned
Well, at least this plan will get the crazy libertarians and freedom caucus on board. Hopefully, the backlash scares enough moderate republicans for this to fail though.

That is if he even needs a law for this to pass. Hopefully if not an executive order gets struck down by the courts.

Foffy

Banned
He will totally fuck the future of this society if he destroys the internet.

I can see him accomplishing this...

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I doubt he knows what net neutrality is. This is the danger of having a know nothing, ignorant president. He'll sign whatever crap that comes his way.

I haven't called my representatives yet, but this issue will make me call, email, fax, text, and send smoke signals to those motherfuckers.

Euphor!a

Banned
I feel like every other week there is a thread about the end of net neutrality and nothing ever comes of it. Given Trump's current success rate in office, this is probably nothing to worry about.

Lkr

Remember when they broke up the Bell system? At least there is some competition now, soon you'll no longer be able to own your own router or modem and all equipment will belong to your ISP just like the old at&t phone monopoly

Future

I doubt he knows what net neutrality is. This is the danger of having a no nothing, ignorant president. He'll sign whatever crap that comes his way.

All he cares about is that it was obama legislation and that it has the word regulation in it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom