• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix going with Magic: The Gathering Animated show

Bwesh

Source

The Russo brothers — who have been fans and players of what is considered a nearly $1 billion franchise trading card game — will oversee the creation of an all new storyline and expand on the stories of M:TG's famed Planeswalkers — the franchise's magic-wielding heroes and villains — as they contend with stakes larger than any one world can hold.

Sources say the big-picture goal for Netflix and Hasbro-owned Wizards of the Coast will be to expand the series into a larger franchise featuring multiple series — a la the streamer's former Marvel suite of since-canceled shows. The deal is the first time Magic: The Gathering will be adapted for the screen after Fox in 2014 planned to adapt the strategy-based card game for the big screen. The project, which had Game of Thrones grad Bryan Cogman attached to pen the script and X-Men's Simon Helberg on board to exec produce, never got off the ground.)

M:TG gives Netflix its own fantasy series as streamers and premium outlets alike jockey to launch the next global hit in the space after Game of Thrones wrapped its run on HBO last month. Amazon, for its part, has a live-action Lord of the Rings in the works in what sources say was a deal worth $250 million for rights alone. Meanwhile, HBO is prepping multiple Game of Thrones prequels.

Could be amazing if given proper care. Unfortunately, current WotC are woke so I'm feeling a little iffy on this.

TrainedRage

Banned
If it's animated like the newest trailer it will be huge! I wished they would make a show as soon as I saw that. They need to stay faithful to the lore and not add any woke bullshit.

vpance

If it's animated like the newest trailer it will be huge! I wished they would make a show as soon as I saw that. They need to stay faithful to the lore and not add any woke bullshit.

War of the Spark trailer was badass. But it looks like studio behind Rick and Morty are doing the animation. Lol(?)

kunonabi

Not really interested in anything from the Russos after how Endgame turned out. Watching them shove their identity politics into Magic isnt all that appealing.

TrainedRage

Banned
War of the Spark trailer was badass. But it looks like studio behind Rick and Morty are doing the animation. Lol(?)
Wait, it's going to be hand drawn and NOT computer animation? WTF? Please no. Please god don't let Rick and Morty have anything to do with this. I don't want the artists drawing stink likes on my undead army.

vpance

Wait, it's going to be hand drawn and NOT computer animation? WTF? Please no. Please god don't let Rick and Morty have anything to do with this. I don't want the artists drawing stink likes on my undead army.

Doubtful it would be done in a realistic CGI like the War trailer was.

FWIW

"Our goal is to not only tell a compelling story leveraging Magic: The Gathering’s incredible body of work, but to also push the medium and perception of storytelling through animation. This series will cross the genres of suspenseful thriller, horror, and drama with deeply developed characters the likes of which are not often seen in animation.”

TrainedRage

Banned
Doubtful it would be done in a realistic CGI like the War trailer was.

FWIW
Then for God's sake they better consult some of the physical card artists or maybe have them be an animator supervisor. I want a realistic or semi realistic show with a mature nature.

MTG has a fan base that is 30-50 they better not cater to teenagers. Or fuck that.

Bolivar687

Banned
As a fan from Magic's earlier days, I really don't like the characters and designs of the Gatewatch v. Bolas storyline. It's some of the most generic stuff I've ever seen. I doubt they could go back to the Weatherlight days but I really feel Wizards had succeeded in building their own unique fantasy setting and story.

vpance

Then for God's sake they better consult some of the physical card artists or maybe have them be an animator supervisor. I want a realistic or semi realistic show with a mature nature.

MTG has a fan base that is 30-50 they better not cater to teenagers. Or fuck that.

I think it's a safe bet that it'll look mature. Best we can hope for is like a Castlevania style anime.

wintermutexo

Neo Member
I'm not too surprised now. It seems WotC is finally seeing the potential for the card game as a much larger franchise after finally pouring in the resources to make MtG: Arena a success. With fantasy franchises expanding like crazy these days, all MtG needs is a brief push with some games that focus on the lore outside of a TCG and a faithful show. Despite the card game's physical cards being in a weird situation with the controversies surrounding card quality, the rest seems to be doing quite well. It's a fun time to be a fan.

Top Bottom