• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix shelves it's Bill Cosby stand-up special due to growing rape charges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheebo

Banned
http://deadline.com/2014/11/bill-cosby-special-shelved-netflix-nbc-series-1201288686/
Netflix Shelves Bill Cosby Special; NBC Series Next?

With the controversy surrounding Bill Cosby showing no signs of subsiding as more women come forward with rape allegations, Netflix has scrapped plans to premiere the Cosby comedy special it had scheduled for the day after Thanksgiving. “At this time we are postponing the launch of the new stand-up comedy special Bill Cosby 77,” Netflix said in a statement Tuesday night.

The streaming service had said on Saturday that it was planning to release the special as scheduled despite the controversy, which then was in its early stages. The scandal since has grown, with more testimonies by alleged victims and calls for Netflix and NBC, which has a comedy series with Cosby in the works, to distance themselves from the comedian. Netflix’s announcement comes on the day two more women, including former model Janice Dickinson, publicly accused the comedian of sexually assaulting them, bringing the number of women who have made their allegations public to half-dozen.
With the story very much in the headlines, and because of the nature of the accusations, the timing of the Netflix special, which celebrates Cosby’s 77th birthday, was perceived as incentive.

Netflix’s move puts more pressure on NBC, which continues to keep its family sitcom starring Cosby in development. It has been announced as being on track for a series launch in summer or fall 2015.

Deadline is reporting now that the Bill Cosby special that was originally set to premiere on Netflix just next week has been shelved indefinitely due to the public outrage and outcry against Bill Cosby due to the rape charges that have recently been made public again. They note that now there is growing pressure on NBC to cancel it's upcoming Cosby led family sitcom set to premiere in 2015.

Cheebo

Banned
Yeah, even with having to pay the fee to Cosby for backing off the show it is a matter of days till NBC cans the show. Cosby's reputation is toxic.

RickGhastly

Neo Member
...They note that now there is growing pressure on NBC to cancel it's upcoming Cosby led family sitcom set to premiere in 2015.

Even with allegations aside, who's bright idea was it to greenlight Cosby in anything these days? There's "Betty White old", where she's still relatively great in front of the camera and then there's "Bill Cosby old", where he's barely coherent half of the time.

gafneo

Banned
Can't believe how Cosby made such a huge impact on comedy for black performers then suddenly years later, in return a black actor who can thank Cosby for his start, jokes about a made up story he Googled, Meanwhile people take it seriously and suddenly we have women conveniently coming forward for a quick cash in. The comic could have mentioned anyone's name and said" look up any nice persons name on Google, they all have skeletons and made up stories. Anyone could easily write a fake article on Jeff Goldblum and bring it to the public attention, and bam. His life's work means nothing anymore. No good deed goes unpunished for sure.

Even with allegations aside, who's bright idea was it to greenlight Cosby in anything these days? There's "Betty White old", where she's still relatively great in front of the camera and then there's "Bill Cosby old", where he's barely coherent half of the time.

Bill Cosby Says The Darndest Things

Cheebo

Banned
Can't believe how Cosby made such a huge impact on comedy for black performers then suddenly years later, in return a black actor who can thank Cosby for his start, jokes about a made up story he Googled, Meanwhile people take it seriously and suddenly we have women conveniently coming forward for a quick cash in. The comic could have mentioned anyone's name and said" look up any nice persons name on Google, they all have skeletons and made up stories. Anyone could easily write a fake article on Jeff Goldblum and bring it to the public attention, and bam. His life's work means nothing anymore. No good deed goes unpunished for sure.

Are you serious? Made up story? This is why over of the course of 30 years before this blew up 15 women have come forward. Of which Cosby has paid out of court settlements with.

Hannibal Burris was not making it up. Or joking, he was using it as a reference to how shocking it was people forgot about how awful of a person Cosby was.

F+

Lagamorph

So...are you saying you don't believe the allegations and it's all made up?
Admittedly we have to presume innocent until proven guilty, but there are so many people coming forward with similar accounts, plus at least one person in know of paid off in out of court settlements that it's hard to believe nothing happened.

RedShift

Is this stuff possible to get take to court, or is there some statute of limitations bullshit in the way? Because if this is true he shouldn't just be getting his shows pulled from Netflix, he should be in prison like Rolf.

You don't really feel this way do you?

It's okay, buddy. Cliff Huxtable was just a character on TV!

Lagamorph

At this point, what would it take for him to be on trial? Can't these women actually press charges?
Didn't one of the alleged victims say she couldn't because the statute of limitations had passed?
Why the hell statute of limitations is even a thing, but especially on rape, boggles the mind.
Unfortunately there would also be no physical evidence so it would entirely be one persons word against another, making it near impossible to prove beyond a reasonable doubt.

Slayven

What am I reading?

rezuth

You're not very informed, huh?

You serious?

Your comment comes across like ‘Why did the comedian have to ruin Bill’s career, he could have just come out with a general comment instead’.

Since we have no solid proof that he committed the crimes, he is of course innocent until proven guilty but when you have him paying off 13 women who accused him years ago of this, and now since the recent public attention to his accusations we now have more women coming forward including a well-known celebrity (Janice Dickinson) it’s a lot different to the idea you are putting forward.

Im not saying burn him at the stake right now, but after all these accusations don’t you think it deserves scrutiny? 1 or 2 people coming forward, yeah it could just be money grabbers but its got past the point where it seems there is a history of behaviour that makes it pretty easy to believe the accusations are true. This is how you examine accusations of historical crimes where there is no physical evidence, you look for behavioural patterns with independent accusers stories backing that up to form a picture of what this person did. Its how Jimmy Saville (And others since) have been confirmed as being abusers.

Instead of thinking ‘Poor old Bill’, maybe think about the possible countless women he has been accused of raping over the years, as well as all the ones who possible haven’t come forward.

If he is innocent it will come out and he will live through it, just look at Roman Polanski who is still considered a Hollywood Darling even though we KNOW he is guilty of his crime.

Boem

While you're right that no one can know for sure if anything happened or not, he certainly didn't make the story up. The stories have been known for years, it only went viral again recently because of his stand up. In fact, I can remember the stories coming up more often during the months before the stand up bit as well (which is probably what triggered his jokes) - the comedy bit just blew it to larger proportions in a very short time.

The Cosby Show was a very big thing for me when I was growing up, but sadly, in recent years more and more people (including children entertainers) have been revealed to have been up to creepy stuff like this. It's very sad if this is happening if he really didn't do anything, but I do think there might be something to the story. In any case, outside of a confession by Cosby (which I don't see happening), I doubt we'll ever get any proof one way or another after all this time. I can still appreciate the importance of the Cosby Show, and the good memories I have of it, but I don't think I can watch the show again now.

BigAT

What in the actual fuck.

Kill3r7

If new women came out against Polanski like is happening with Cosby I think that would happen. Unfairly it may be it's more about timing than anything else.

I think it speaks more to how judgmental society has become and the way the media reports and covers news stories today (opinion and editorial based). Polanski is a convicted rapist. Cosby is an alleged rapist.

I guess the old saying time heals all wounds is appropriate here.

rezuth

I think it speaks more to how judgmental society has become and the way the media reports and covers news stories today (opinion and editorial based). Polanski is a confirmed rapist. Cosby is an alleged rapist.

I think there is more of an outrage as people feel betrayed. Polanski never tried to be Americas cuddly old dad, that said fuck Polanski.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
The first woman to come forward already had filed reports and claims against Cosby from years ago and it wasn't until Hannibal's recent comments that news agencies decided to give her another interview. You obviously have no idea what you're talking about so I would advise you shut your mouth until you do your research. Your sexist views really speak poorly of your character.

Cheebo

Banned
I think there is more of an outrage as people feel betrayed. Polanski never tried to be Americas cuddly old dad, that said fuck Polanski.
Very good point I didn't think of. People are more hurt by Cosby allegedly being a monster than someone they never saw as "lovable".

Emarv

I think Woody Allen would be a better comparison, considering he's still "alleged" and his positive portrayal in movies vs Polanski as just a director.

Kill3r7

No you are absolutely right, Bill Cosby's betrayal is more impactful because he meant so much to so many. However, Polanski doesn't get enough flack for being completely unapologetic about his behavior.

In 1979, Polanski gave a controversial interview with the novelist Martin Amis in which, discussing his conviction, he said "If I had killed somebody, it wouldn’t have had so much appeal to the press, you see? But… f—ing, you see, and the young girls. Judges want to f— young girls. Juries want to f— young girls. Everyone wants to f— young girls!"

I think Woody Allen would be a better comparison, considering he's still "alleged" and his positive portrayal in movies vs Polanski as just a director.

Good point.

I think it speaks more to how judgmental society has become and the way the media reports and covers news stories today (opinion and editorial based). Polanski is a convicted rapist. Cosby is an alleged rapist.

Polanski's work is already there and still has artistic/historical merit. He may be a piece of shit human being but that doesn't affect his work.

In contrast, giving Cosby NEW work when all this stuff is going on would be a bad idea. But I wouldn't expect them to stop airing The Cosby Show on TV or pulling the DVDs from shelves or something.

Yet, a confirmed rapist like Roman Polansky still has movies on there.
This is interesting. What's the reasoning behind this?

And yeah with Cosby, the best thing is just to pull everything. Situation is toxic and hopefully there is some avenue still available to pursue things criminally so that these alligations can actually be investigated.

Kill3r7

Polanski's work is already there and still has artistic/historical merit. He may be a piece of shit human being but that doesn't affect his work.

In contrast, giving Cosby NEW work when all this stuff is going on would be a bad idea. But I wouldn't expect them to stop airing The Cosby Show on TV or pulling the DVDs from shelves or something.

Polanski still makes movies and has done so for many, many years after fleeing to France, post conviction.

I don't see what Polanski's movies still being on Netflix has to do with this, really. Polanski is a director, removing his works from Netflix also means removing the works of many hundreds of other people, whereas a Bill Cosby stand up special is really only removing his work (Techs and editors notwithstanding). Is it fair to Harrison Ford if they remove Frantic, or to Adrien Brody if the remove The Pianist?
I don't really know if either of these are on Netflix, but the point stands fro any of his movies that might be on there.

They're both
allegedly in Cosby's case
horrible people of course, but I can see why Netflix would refrain from removing Polanski's material from their service even if his crimes were to pop back up in the public discussion like Cosby's have.

Cheebo

Banned

And to note Netflix is not removing their old Cosby material. This is all about new material

Oh wow, how did I miss this post?

Fuck you, and fuck your slander on the survivor's character. You want to highlight the differences in how our society treats celebrities of different race and ethnicity, be my guest. You want to victim shame? Piss off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom