• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix to roll out a new, more immersive web interface starting in June

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Edit- Update

Netflix is rolling it out the new web interface today.
BoB_EN.gif

Jaw_EN.gif

Today, we are excited to unveil the new Netflix website. It’s our first major update in four years, and it’s an experience that has been built from the ground up to make it faster and easier to discover something great to watch for our millions of members around the world.

Over the past four years, web browsers have changed a lot, becoming more sophisticated and allowing for richer visuals and animations. How our members use Netflix has changed too. We’re spending more and more time using mobile and tablet apps.

With the new Netflix website, we’ve created a richer, more visual experience, and a website that works more like an app and less like a series of linked web pages. Information appears in-line and in context rather than on a separate page, which makes exploring the catalog faster than ever before.

When you hover your mouse over a title, you will now see a slideshow of images from that movie or show. We hope this slideshow will give you a better feel for what the show is about than reading the description alone.

Clicking on the title or synopsis opens an inline details pane, allowing you to browse episodes and read details and reviews. You can also explore similar titles by clicking More Like This, or jump off to titles from the same cast, genre or mood.

Scrolling through rows is now much faster, with a mouse-click advancing a full row at a time.

We’ve designed the website to work whether you are using a mouse, trackpad, or a touch screen. Touch screen users can tap to play or open details, and swipe to scroll through rows of titles.

The website is rolling out globally starting today and may take up to two weeks to reach all members. A small number of members on older versions of popular browsers will be prompted to upgrade their browser before they can access the new site.

We hope you enjoy the new Netflix website. It has been an exciting project for us, and we are thrilled to share it with you.

Original OP:

Link.

Old:

sJLiPDU.png

New:

lHorcPS.png

xDwQgS1.png

Netflix confirms today that it will roll out a new user interface on the web to all users worldwide beginning next month. A number of Netflix customers are already seeing the updated look-and-feel, however, according to various reports. The interface, which was previously demonstrated at CES and Mobile World Congress, brings the design of Netflix’s website more in line with what users today see on mobile phones, tablets, on gaming consoles and on other streaming media players, like Roku.

The most notable aspect to the new design is that it eliminates the slower, scrolling carousels for content discovery in favor of an updated look with larger thumbnails in each section which can be clicked on in order to expand a detail screen showing additional information about the title in question.

Here, you’re able to see a movie or episode’s title, description, running time and more, and can add the title to your watchlist. In the older web interface, you have to hover over a thumbnail of the show or film in order to see more information, but to see the same level of detail, you’d typically have to click a small “More Info” link to be taken to a new screen.

That process of moving between two screens slowed down users’ ability to find content they wanted to watch, as did the older navigation which required you to click on arrows to move through a carousel of titles whose thumbnails resembled movie posters.

The overall design is one that’s more immersive and presents more information to users, much like Netflix’s interface on televisions.

The updated look should please most web users because of the speed increases when it comes to browsing, though some are complaining that the changes mean you’ll now see fewer titles on a single screen thanks to the elimination of the vertical thumbnails which took up less space. This desire to see more content on one screen is something that has sparked a lot interest in recent days – there was even a popular Netflix hack called “God Mode” released earlier this year which lets you see all the movies and TV shows at once with no need to click around on the interface.

That someone had gone to the trouble to “fix” the Netflix interface by way of a browser bookmarklet indicated that the online experience left a lot to be desired for many users.

Netflix didn’t say how many customers would see the updated interface before the global launch in June, but it’s clear from reports that the rollout is already underway.

The move is a significant one for the company as it represents the first user interface update for PC users since 2011, Netflix notes.

It’s also part of Netflix’s larger plan to streamline its interface for customers in a multi-screen world – the company had said earlier this year that customers expect the same experience on TVs, phones and tablets, and it even introduced a “Recommended TV” program offering guidelines to TV manufacturers.

Fusebox

Banned
Reminds me of the youtube redesign. You can see more movie choices onscreen at once in the older versions than the newer ones.

edit: Just noticed the screen under the DD screen has a full set of thumbnails, I like it.

dork

Banned
i generally only watch netflix on ipad/ps3/xbo. They really need to make it easier to find stuff. I feel like unless you "search" you dont really discover much

So, by "new" they mean "we'll just use pretty much the same interface that we use in all of our Netflix apps".

EDIT: That's not really a bad thing, though. I don't have any major issues with their console/TV app interfaces.

jerry113

Banned
How about just make it like the original, where I could browse things in a list of titles instead of big posters that I have to scroll through?

Boba2007

Oh, I just got Netflix like 2 months ago and I thought this was the normal layout. I've had it this whole time, it's not bad.

They better not of put the "Watch Later" list on the bottom like they do the mobile app.

If you mean "My List" then yeah... it's at the bottom. "Continue Watching" is at the top.

Are they going to stop recommending the same fucking thing seven times in the same page?

Looking at their home page you'd think the Netflix library was limited to 30 tv series and maybe a movie

knkng

Except it's faster now that it's not using carousels.

Yeah, I recognize the improvements made, I just don't get why they would change every single thumbnail image like that (especially since the older ones were already the proper size for posters and box arts). But whatever, I usually just google "what's new on netflix" to see new releases and then just use the Netflix search function to find what I want.

For some reason the "New Releases" section on Netflix always seems to be like 3 months out of date.

ENM89

Neo Member
All I want from Netflix right now is an option to select "I've seen this" or something and have it not show up anymore. Sure, I'd use that for a lot of things I just don't want to watch, but I think it would help with the discovery of new shows and movies that are usually hidden.

obin_gam

Why dont they change the TV/console app instead?
I have a 40" TV, I should be able to overview like 20 stuff at least. Instead, It's about 7.
Fucking retarded decision.

All I want from Netflix right now is an option to select "I've seen this" or something and have it not show up anymore. Sure, I'd use that for a lot of things I just don't want to watch, but I think it would help with the discovery of new shows and movies that are usually hidden.

For stuff you don't want to watch, you can click "More info" to got the the film/show's page, and you have the option to rate it "Not interested" right next to the usual 5 stars.

I really wish that Netflix would stop recommending me stuff I've already rated 5 stars though. I mean, the algorithm's not wrong, I do like those things, but I feel like it's cheating.

batbeg

Let me look at all categories you asshats. On all my fucking devices. Don't show me whatever dumbass categories you think I want then circle back to the top. Just give me a "categories" button or something. Is this really so difficult to understand??

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
"More like this"

Yesssssssss I've been yelling in every Netflix thread about how they need this feature for years!!!

You can do this by rating shows. They choose your playlists by what you've watched, and what you've rated. A "not interested" button would be better.

Einbroch

Banned
Have they fixed the cut off synopsis?

Oh this documentary could be good, but I wouldn't know because half of the synopsis is unreadable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom