• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix's anime library is rather strong.

Ash735

Netflix UK sucks for Anime outside of a few great shows. I was excited when I saw the OP because I wanted to re-watch OPM but of course, it's not on Netflix UK. They even removed Space Dandy, that was like my background anime to leave on due to it's crazy visuals.

Zero315

Banned
Same for Korean shows. It's strange because they could easily usurp drama fever but Asian shows aren't given a big focus for Netflix. They get some shows but there are hundreds that are missed

They're starting to dip their toes into it more and more, but if they pull the same shit they did with Man To Man people aren't going to care.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Netflix is great for a beginners run-through of classic anime.

This. At first, I laughed at the OP but then I saw people list off a lot of good stuff on Netflix and I realized the reason I didn't think Netflix has a strong library is because I already saw a bunch of things on there years ago. Its a good starting point for the casual anime fan, but I'll be honest, I'm always craving for some more obscure things to show up on there but know they'll never show.

Still.... their anime section is atleast better than their horror section :/

joe2187

Banned
Netflix has shit, and it's barely ever updated.

Now Hulu+ on the other hand has a wide selection of Awesome, Great, middiling, and tons of terrible to sink you're greasy weaboo teeth into.

sibarraz

Banned
Besides Little Witch Academia, netflix doesnt had any anime that justifies its suscription. Crunchyroll beats it really hard

Netflix strong point is its variety though, thats why I have a netflix suscription and not an CR one

petran79

Banned
Strong? Maybe if you're completely new to anime or watch like 2 shows a year.
Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's still a weak offering overall.
What I like is that they're actually partnering up with some companies to fund shows.

I doubt there are many viewer swho watched 10.000 anime series. 2 new shows are perfectly acceptable. It is the older shows they should focus on bringing forth

sonicmj1

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Kuromukuro. It's a pretty great fish-out-of-water sci-fi story, and it was one of the better shows from last year. But given how most anime fans consume currently-airing shows, it kind of got lost in the shuffle.

On a similar note, Children of the Whales is another Netflix-produced sci-fi/fantasy anime that just started airing in Japan, and it seems very promising. Hope it makes it to North America soon.

Faiz

I cant recommend KLK to anyone after the
incest molestation scene
how did they think that was a good idea?

Same. As much as I love the show overall, this is the main reason I recommend it to no one and didn't purchase the discs. Bleh.

ViciousDS

Banned
what about the GOAT, Yu Yu Hakusho?

the entire series is actually on Hulu

just rewatched it and my god its so good

Also Most of Netflixs personal stuff has the shit tier 3D style berserk animation.....fucking pisses me off. STOP USING THE BERSERK 3D ANIMATION STYLE!!!!!!

I would rather take the hand drawn style easily over how bad the 3d is

effd7fbe9cb95deb274d043c56f704b3.gif

I cant recommend KLK to anyone after the
incest molestation scene
how did they think that was a good idea?

I mean, it did its job. You were disgusted with the character who did it.

I do mention that scene if I recommend KLK to someone though, as a trigger warning thing.

Surfside

Banned
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, if you didn't watch that already.

Little Witch Academia, well like the title implies, it's about witches in training. It's a pretty hilarious show, with a sympathetic lead. And it has no lewd elements.

daveo42

Banned
Netflix is okay, but their model doesn't lend itself to releasing new episodes as they come out and instead do it all at once. So it's not bad when you miss a show but can binge on it, but miss out when a show you are looking forward to won't be available until well after the season wraps up. ID-0 was a nice binge watch for me, but Children of the Whales won't be available in the US until next year sometime unless you pirate it.

VRV is way better and has a much larger selection of anime. Anime Strike is a distant 3rd (or 4th depending on your views on the lack of Funi shows on VRV), but it seems to be scooping up some of the better exclusives.

pbayne

Some of the originals and other stuff they have coming like the Godzilla movie are pretty solid/ im excited for them.

I think they're decent in general but there is a wee bit too much of a skew towards action/sci-fi/shounen type stuff. Apart from Mushishi and a few other they dont have a whole lot of variety.

My dinnertime go-to show was Hunter X Hunter, I'm quite peeved it was removed. Also on UK Netflix, so my selection is far more limited. I did however finally watch all of Death Note while they were promoting the awful-looking movie.

Surfside

Banned
What are some good light hearted anime? I liked seven deadly sins

Little Witch Academia is very ligh thearted and funny. It's a great show.

Birdy the Mighty, though it's not on Netflix's streaming services. The first season is very light hearted. Always puts a smile on my face, when i watch it.
I'm hoping we will get a third season someday.

Mr Git

UK netflix doesn't have One Punch Man, but it does have Bebop and Champloo. Great for throwing an episode on every now and again at dinner

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Some of the originals and other stuff they have coming like the Godzilla movie are pretty solid/ im excited for them.

I think they're decent in general but there is a wee bit too much of a skew towards action/sci-fi/shounen type stuff. Apart from Mushishi and a few other they dont have a whole lot of variety.

Like most things I think Netflix is just going to be producing more and more of its own anime content like they are most everything else. They already produce a ton of their own live action content and have already started pumping out a lot of Western style animation so a transition into making anime of their own makes sense.

I believe they have a few shows hitting soon like a Baki the Grappler anime, the Godzilla anime, Devilman by Yuasa, and so on.

Surfside

Banned
I would also recommend Knights of Sidonia with its great setting. It's a very unique anime.

Ajin is another great one. With one of the best antagonists in anime.

They are in CG though. But if you want to experience some really great story and characters, then that shouldn't stop you.

kewlmyc

Netflix's anime library is great for those casually looking to get into the medium. Has the 3 biggest hits of the last decade on it (SAO, AoT, OPM). Yeah, your mileage will vary with those series and there's way better stuff out there, but they're good gateway anime. Yeah Crunchyroll is stronger, but no shit, it's for those invested in the medium (or huge Dragonball fans).

Hulu does have a better selection though, since Funimation puts a lot of their stuff on there.

As for recommendations, Gurren Lagann is good. It gets perverted at times, but it's one of the best mecha shows ever made. It never stops ramping up.

I liked The Seven Deadly Sins, although I don't think it's a particularly high-quality anime and it has uncomfortable moments like when the main character will squeeze the tits of the girl he fancies when he's asking her out on a date or something.

And also there's no second season, but they did do a 4 episode interquel season which honestly was just frustrating.

psyfi

Banned
yeah, my anime watching has gone up at least 800% thanks to netflix

I used to watch it very occasionally, but now there's usually at least one anime series in my rotation

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
As a fan of both, I honestly wonder if anime fans or wrestling fans are more cynical about the product they spend money on.

Watched that this week. Finished it this morning. Cried so much.

I know that feel lol. It's probably my favorite series in the 20 or so years that I've watched anime. Very moving stuff

Is the Stein's Gate anime the same as the VN game? Or do they tie together?
I have the game but haven't started it yet, should I just play that?

It's an adaptation of the VN, yeah. I think it's incredibly well done, and features the original JP cast from the VN. The VN is very good as well, if overly verbose.

I have an issue with Netflix anime.... Nearly none of it has English subtitles even though English is the official language in Malta. Instead I get Italian, sometimes French subs. I have complained with Netflix's live chat support but they always give me the pre-canned answer, that it depends on distribution rights and things like that and they can do nothing about it. What's the point of offering something which I cannot properly consume? Just to tick me off? How does this work?

ExVicis

Eeeeeh, the Netflix selection is just okay. I checked out that VRV though, decent selection there. Considering getting a premium account.

Edit: Also access to a lot of Dubs! Finally can watch some goddamn Dubs!

petran79

Banned
I have an issue with Netflix anime.... Nearly none of it has English subtitles even though English is the official language in Malta. Instead I get Italian, sometimes French subs. I have complained with Netflix's live chat support but they always give me the pre-canned answer, that it depends on distribution rights and things like that and they can do nothing about it. What's the point of offering something which I cannot properly consume? Just to tick me off? How does this work?

In Greece LWA has English,Greek and Turkish subs and Japanese,English AND Turkish dub

Eeeeeh, the Netflix selection is just okay. I checked out that VRV though, decent selection there. Considering getting a premium account.

Edit: Also access to a lot of Dubs! Finally can watch some goddamn Dubs!

Surprisingly no One Piece though, from Funimation or Crunchyroll.

My only wish is Ellation could work out some agreement with Funimation to be able to link accounts the way they do with Crunchyroll. I know it's harder since Ellation is CR's parent company, but I'd love for it to happen.

petran79

Banned
My bro gave me his info to log to Netflix. HD subscription. Checked LWA and visual quality for HD is so bad. Expected something better considering Youtube has much better streaming quality. Intro and Ending compression is even worse. Other series are probably better but I expected better quality for this show.

Netflix:

HD TV rip (1280x720)

Top Bottom