• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netherlands, Canada (+19 others) discuss fund to counter Trump abortion funding cut

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glix

Doesn't this just play right into Trumps tiny hands??

"See, we didn't need to be spending all this money! They were holding out on us until I played Hardball! I'm the best! Better than Peyton Manning! Sad!"

LordOfChaos

While this is a great move for the good of the world, I don't think it's "sticking it to trump" as some seem to think it is. His whole schtick is making the rest of the world shoulder more of the burden the States (or at least him and his people) want to get rid of. The US not paying for it and other countries starting to sounds pretty much like what he wants.

Linkyn

While this is a great move for the good of the world, I don't think it's "sticking it to trump" as some seem to think it is. His whole schtick is making the rest of the world shoulder more of the burden the States (or at least him and his people) want to get rid of. The US not paying for it and other countries starting to sounds pretty much like what he wants.

Maybe if his intention was to simply shift the financial burden onto other countries. The abortion issue has very little to do with fiscal responsibility, and quite a bit with religious fanaticism.

Nokterian

Recent pole showed he would still be behind VVD. We just need to get everybody out to vote, every family member/friend/acquaintance needs to be rattled out of their comfy homes in March to go out and vote.

We've seen what happened when people don't go out and vote...

Encourage people they need to vote, if you do not vote and he is leading the polls than it is the fault of you if it happens, since your vote goes automatically to the highest one with the votes.

Other party's must get a change to make a coalition not VVD with CDA for example..again we need change.

Red

"See, we didn't need to be spending all this money! They were holding out on us until I played Hardball! I'm the best! Better than Peyton Manning! Sad!"
Does this matter? Women worldwide need health services whether or not donnie wants to play his schoolyard games.

He would frame it that way I'm sure but ultimately providing women with the support they need is vastly more important than Trump's ego.

This shows a lack of leadership on his part and demonstrates how small of a man he is.

Apathy

I will 100% support my government if they go along with this for two reasons. One because women have the right to choose and two just cause it's a giant middle finger to Trump and all his sacks of shit

I will 100% support my government if they go along with this for two reasons. One because women have the right to choose and two just cause it's a giant middle finger to Trump and all his sacks of shit

Yeah let's just hope they don't try to spin this to some sort of narrative that this was their plan all along.

Bless y'all doing this to keep the US from regressing.

Glix

Does this matter? Women worldwide need health services whether or not donnie wants to play his schoolyard games.

Oh, of course. I'm glad it's happening. I'm just pointing out how shitty it is that Mr. Orange will play it like its a win.

LordOfChaos

Maybe if his intention was to simply shift the financial burden onto other countries. The abortion issue has very little to do with fiscal responsibility, and quite a bit with religious fanaticism.

Well, or is he and much of the Republican party using religion as an excuse to cut such funds. Who knows.

Even if that is the case, i'd say properly funded women's health is way more important than one man's ego

UberTag

Man, America doesn't deserve allies this gracious. I imagine this will just spur Republicans to be even more adamant about overturning Roe v Wade if defunding Planned Parenthood won't accomplish their primary objective of endangering women's lives and robbing them of their right to choose.

Cranster

Banned
I don't think this is a good idea politically in Canada as we are risking a Trump like Conservative leadership and these kind of moves with our tax dollars only fuels the fire. Don't get me wrong, morally it's the right thing to do but I just don't like the political risks that goes with it.

RinsFury

Can we have an alliance of the rest of the world vs the Trump Regime? Seems a good chance as any that orange piece of shit wold be dragged from the Oval Office if the rest of the world turned their back to him.

Joni

Awesome. Lead the way.

I sincerely hope this nightmare ends soon for rational modern americans.

Americans are being held hostage by an usurping administration they didn't elect.

We are good people. Complacent, but good.

Please save us.

Man, America doesn't deserve allies this gracious. I imagine this will just spur Republicans to be even more adamant about overturning Roe v Wade if defunding Planned Parenthood won't accomplish their primary objective of endangering women's lives and robbing them of their right to choose.

Americans aren't being helped by this. It is helping third world nations.

Americans aren't being helped by this. It is helping third world nations.

I didn't say that. Doesn't mean they're not living in a nightmare seeing their country go down the shitter.
Hwever: So who is helping the american women? Are there states that will still allow this?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
This is a tragedy. I hope Woe vs Wade gets overturned. There is never a good reason to kill a child imo

Banning abortion has never actually reduced abortions

It only increases the mortality of mothers since they turn to illegal and dangerous methods

So instead of saving the fetus, overturning abortion rights only results in killing both the fetus and mother.

i-Lo

Given who the country voted in, I won't be surprised if they bite the hand that feeds them. After all, given what the EU ambassador said and implied between the lines, I'd think that in time, Canada and EU will be vilified on the moral front by current batch of Republicans.

sa201674

Banned
This is a tragedy. I hope Woe vs Wade gets overturned. There is never a good reason to kill a child imo

Tragedy? What!?

Look, I have mixed feeling about abortions in general, but:
1. There are totally valid reasons why it happens such as in rape cases or due to health risks and complications.
2. Banning abortions won't make it go away, it only makes it way harder to do it in a safer manner.

cereal_killerxx

Banning abortion has never actually reduced abortions

It only increases the mortality of mothers since they turn to illegal and dangerous methods

So instead of saving the fetus, overturning abortion rights only results in killing both the fetus and mother.

wikipedian_protester.png

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
This sort of plays into Trump's narrative about how other countries haven't been paying their fair share in various international affairs.

Good move, though, regardless.

cereal_killerxx

Tragedy? What!?

Look, I have mixed feeling about abortions in general, but:
1. There are totally valid reasons why it happens such as in rape cases or due to health risks and complications.
2. Banning abortions won't make it go away, it only makes it way harder to do it in a safer manner.

1. But where's the baby's choice in all this? I'm not saying it's right what happened to the mother, but killing the baby doesn't change what's already happened. :/
2. What's your source on this? I'm very interested to read up on it.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/18/health/rate-of-us-abortions-hits-lowest-since-roe-v-wade.html

The rate of abortions performed in the United States has fallen lower than during any year since 1973, when the Supreme Court legalized the procedure, according to a new report by the Guttmacher Institute, a research group that supports abortion rights.

The latest numbers, for 2014, continue a trend of declining abortion rates for most years since 1981.

In 2014, there were an estimated 926,200 abortions — a rate of 14.6 per 1,000 women of childbearing age (15 to 44) — compared with 1.06 million abortions in 2011, the year of the last Guttmacher report, or 16.9 per 1,000. In 1973, the year of the Roe v. Wade decision, the rate was 16.3. In 1981, the rate was 29.3.

That's being reductive.
It's for NGOs that provide a bevy of health and reproductive services, which include either providing abortion services, or abortion counseling.
yet abortion is the point of contention, as in if it wasn't part of those services there also would not exist the political capital necessary to cut these funds, so it may as well be.

So what they should just do fuck nothing?

The aim would be to continue support for existing programmes being run by organisations such as the United Nations Population Fund (UNPFA), the International Planned Parenthood Federation and Marie Stopes International.

“These are successful and effective programmes: direct support, distributing condoms, making sure women are accompanied at the birth, and making sure abortion is safe if they have no other choice,”

I just hope they don't use the Republican/GOP/USA government middle-men to handle any of the money or any direct US government organizations.

They can't be trusted and think they're doing God's work by stealing/mismanaging the money.

CrunchyB

The minister in question actually belongs to a European conservative coalition.

She is a member of the PvdA (labour party), before that she was part of Groenlinks (green left). Their senior coalition partner is the VVD, which is considered the classic right party in the Netherlands but is basically like the right wing of the American Democrats (like Clinton).

We don't have anything like the GOP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom