• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Never knew this! Meaning of Indian head shake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noirulus

In my experience people will use it when They are afraid to say no, Despite the answer being no.

For example for my work i have to train alot of indians. And if I'm covering a particularly hard topic, i will sometimes ask, "Do you understand?" and if their boss (my client) is in the room with them they will never shake their head no, they will instead bobble their heads and after training when their boss isn't present they will explain that they did not understand the topic and ask me to go over it one more time.

Other areas, if i ask an indian person if I pernounced their name correctly (and i didn't) - If they are working class they will most often bobble their head, while executives will more often than not be more vocal. Or gave a clear nod yes, or shake no.

This guy seems to say the same thing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hCV2oO2akw

So like I said, its not a "NO" emphatically. But sometimes it can be closer to "No" than "Yes"
More like "I want to say no, but i'm worried about the reaction i will receive so I will substitute this "NO" for a bobble. [and in my book that counts as a no]

But that's him trying to deceive others. If you asked him for a clear yes or no answer, he probably would have said 'yes' in order not to look like an idiot. It doesn't change the meaning of the bobble head, only shows that it can be used to avoid saying 'yes' without saying 'no'

We're probably just rambling in semantics, but at least I understand where you're coming from now.

methane47

But that's him trying to deceive others. If you asked him for a clear yes or no answer, he probably would have said 'yes' in order not to look like an idiot. It doesn't change the meaning of the bobble head, only shows that it can be used to avoid saying 'yes' without saying 'no'

We're probably just rambling in semantics, but at least I understand where you're coming from now.

/bobble

Keikaku

Wow. Had to search youtube to see what the article was talking about. I don't think I've noticed it before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ0SuD_ulVk
I'm from India and what is this bullshit?

I can confirm that this video is bullshit. He doesn't even do it right when demonstrating it.

The bobble is used as a gesture of understanding or affirmation. You can't use it to mean 'no'
Yup.

Yes you most definitely can. Or rather its not a no.. Its just Not yes.

So intimidating person asks "Do you want me to feed you a knuckle sandwich?"
Indian guy : /head bobble

In my experience people will use it when They are afraid to say no, Despite the answer being no.

For example for my work i have to train alot of indians. And if I'm covering a particularly hard topic, i will sometimes ask, "Do you understand?" and if their boss (my client) is in the room with them they will never shake their head no, they will instead bobble their heads and after training when their boss isn't present they will explain that they did not understand the topic and ask me to go over it one more time.

Other areas, if i ask an indian person if I pernounced their name correctly (and i didn't) - If they are working class they will most often bobble their head, while executives will more often than not be more vocal. Or gave a clear nod yes, or shake no.

This guy seems to say the same thing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hCV2oO2akw

So like I said, its not a "NO" emphatically. But sometimes it can be closer to "No" than "Yes"
More like "I want to say no, but i'm worried about the reaction i will receive so I will substitute this "NO" for a bobble. [and in my book that counts as a no]
Wrong on both counts.

It can never mean "No". In all my life, I've never seen an Indian person use it to mean anything other than "Yes", "Okay", "I understand" or similar responses. It's not always a definitive "Yes" but it's very much a positive response. Everybody from the working class through to "executives" uses it the same way. My dad, the VP of a major tech company, uses it the exact same way as the guy who irons my relatives clothes back in India.

Imm0rt4l

I figured as much what it meant when observing my Indian and Pakistani friends when listening intently to what im saying

akira28

Any of my friends that are from India (1st generation immigrants) all do the bob. I aksed them about that episode of Outsourced, that only lasted one season on NBC, in which the American main character tried to figure this topic out too. The response was, "why do you watch a racist show, and why do you have a problem with me?" I must have had a terrible delivery within my question.

lol. did you tell them?

Any of my friends that are from India (1st generation immigrants) all do the bob. I aksed them about that episode of Outsourced, that only lasted one season on NBC, in which the American main character tried to figure this topic out too. The response was, "why do you watch a racist show, and why do you have a problem with me?" I must have had a terrible delivery within my question.

Nah dude, it was most likely wasn't the delivery. I've also noticed people get upset when asked about their culture. Like just asking is somehow trying to demean them and since we don't know we are obviously trying to make fun of them which is obviously ridiculous.

And since when is Outsourced racist?

pigeon

Banned
I was always told that the head-shake means both "yes" and "yes, but in the way that really means no." So more like "sure" or "uh-huh." Just another one of those little social obstacles to interpret.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Haha, I was explaining something to my boss the other day and he was shaking his head. I stopped and asked him if he disagreed. He then laughed and explained it to me.

methane47

Wrong on both counts.

It can never mean "No". In all my life, I've never seen an Indian person use it to mean anything other than "Yes", "Okay", "I understand" or similar responses. It's not always a definitive "Yes" but it's very much a positive response. Everybody from the working class through to "executives" uses it the same way. My dad, the VP of a major tech company, uses it the exact same way as the guy who irons my relatives clothes back in India.

Maybe because you are exactly part of the group of people that some people are trying to appease? :p

I'm very inquisitive and have asked many Indians that I deal with what they mean and to explain this to me. Plus there are YouTube videos with Indians explaining the same exact thing.

I'm not saying that it is an emphatic no. Just that sometimes the bobble is much closer to a negative than it is to a positive answer.

Maybe you and your family don't use it in this way. But many Indians from the 3 cultures I've dealt with (Sindhi Gujarati and Punjabi) have all expressed it to me here on the island that I live.

Maybe because you are exactly part of the group of people that some people are trying to appease? :p

I'm very inquisitive and have asked many Indians that I deal with what they mean and to explain this to me. Plus there are YouTube videos with Indians explaining the same exact thing.

I'm not saying that it is an emphatic no. Just that sometimes the bobble is much closer to a negative than it is to a positive answer.

Maybe you and your family don't use it in this way. But many Indians from the 3 cultures I've dealt with (Sindhi Gujarati and Punjabi) have all expressed it to me here on the island that I live.

At uni, whenever I got that head bobble from my lab partners when I tried to allocate tasks, I would mentally prepare to do all the work myself.

usea

tumblr_ltbz0cxByO1r3zzudo1_500.gif

Everything makes sense now.

Lamel

Banned
Wait what, non-indian people had this much confusion over this?

lol.

It's always a confirmation/understanding.

Source: I've lived in the region, have a lot of south asian friends and family.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Was in Nepal for six weeks and got used to it. It is always used in the affirmative, although the degree varies.

lol. did you tell them?

Did I, I tried to have the conversation with all of them, one of them seemingly has a sense of humor and shrugged it off. The rest banded together and had a problem. Then they went back to making fun of White people. lol I am an equal opportunity crap giver and I give myself the most crap, that is why most people are pretty ok with me making fun of stuff...

Nah dude, it was most likely wasn't the delivery. I've also noticed people get upset when asked about their culture. Like just asking is somehow trying to demean them and since we don't know we are obviously trying to make fun of them which is obviously ridiculous.

And since when is Outsourced racist?

I don't know how it is racist, unless I am looking for a problem, but perception is only 100% of their reality.

I am a forward blunt person and I like to understand how people tick, so with my foreign friends I am always asking about their culture. When they get over the initial feeling of being intruded upon I end up getting invited over for a authentic dinner or something like that. I would suppose because my delivery in the question is careful and caring they tend more often than not to open up to me (in a 1 on 1) type of a situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom