• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Never thought I'd say this, but I might take PS3/Wii U over PS4 this fall

Rat Salad

Banned
OP - eh you can be of goodwill and buy me a copy of Killer Instinct while u sit out both launches. Forza & BattleField 4 I'll let u off the hook as I'll buy those myself. 😎😎😎

badb0y

There are no compelling reasons to own a PS4 this holiday other than showing your support for the console.
Really? No reason at all?

What if you like Killzone?

:O

@OP
If you don't have a PS3, you should get that and play through all the awesome exclusives it has had over the years and then jump on the PS4/Xbox One once their libraries are better.

sadly I don't care about multi-player for both. and I do mean sadly. I wish I did, but I just don't have the time to sink into it to actually be GOOD at it enough to have fun. :(

All of them look great. All of them will still be around next spring/summer. But yeah, especially infamous (which won't be near launch) and The Order.

Share button is awesome. I am really looking forward to it. Honestly most people don't realize that Wii U is already in a great position as far as a social network goes. Miiverse is actually REALLY well done and active. When they have it incorporated into the actual game (NSMBU is a GREAT example) it is just amazing.

Hoping Nintendo eventually opens up streaming/sharing game videos. The entire game is already encoded in real time to send to the Gamepad. Hoping they do something. I know they've already said you will be able to post Mario Kart 8 replays to Miiverse, though I'm assuming that is just going to be similar to Ghost tracks.

So there you go, pick up one of the others and just wait for the PS4. Only if you care about multiplayer would those games because something to get into now.

There are no compelling reasons to own a PS4 this holiday other than showing your support for the console.

Joke post?

Skeff

i5-750 at like 2.4Ghz, 16GB DDR3. Not god awful, but not great framerates at 1650x1050 (monitor), let alone 1080p (home theater).

With the switch of consoles going to x86 architecture and using (probably 1.6ghz) octocore processors, I expect better optimization and multi threading techniques used in multi platform games that hit the PC. The best example of this currently is Planetside 2 which SoE have already spoken about better multi core support thanks to the PS4 version.

Regarding switching to PS4 in Q1, Personally I'd say do it now, I know there won't be too many games out before Q1, but why play games in Q4 of this year that aren't the best versions? (talking about console experience here)

Dave Long

Banned
It's pretty silly that my four year old Core i7-860 is probably processor enough to best these upcoming $4 to $500 consoles given a current GPU. That's one of the main reasons I can't see spending the dough. Free online gaming and saving $400 at the minimum on new hardware (which of course would require more controllers, etc.)

ghst

thanks for the laugh
i5-750 at like 2.4Ghz, 16GB DDR3. Not god awful, but not great framerates at 1650x1050 (monitor), let alone 1080p (home theater).

throw in an extra $25 for a hyper 212 evo CPU cooler and you could easily clock that thing fast enough for it to not be a bottleneck concern.

this is how your CPU compares at stock with the quad core equivalent of the next gen CPU (so you can theoretically double the A4 5000 score) under optimal threading conditions. consider that if you buy a $25 cooler, you can easily get at least an extra 50% performance of your CPU (3.6ghz is actually pretty conservative, a stable 4ghz is perfectly achievable):

iLSW3D9OHiM0P.PNG

(http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-750-vs-AMD-A4-5000)

This is relevant to my interests. Can you link me on this info?

AMD-Hawaii-GPU-Performance-635x476.jpg

(a stock titan gets 4400 - 4700)

http://www.info-pc.info/2013/08/amds-next-generation-hawaii-gpu-to-cost.html

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I'll probably wait two or three years for PS4, and until X comes out for Wii U depending on what the prospects look like for the system at the time.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Always good to keep in mind when you buy a console at launch you pay more for it than anyone else will in its lifespan while getting the least amount back. This fall has a lot of good releases either way even without either new console coming out as well.

But for me, I am just tired of this gen dragging on so I'm still going to jump. Going for the xbox one first though due to having no interest in PS4 games whatsoever until infamous hits. I do already have a wii u and I'm glad there will be some stuff to finally play on it as well.

Proven

Exactly. Instead of cross gen stuff being downgraded for the earlier consoles, we're probably going to see them being upgraded for the newer consoles. And so many PC multiplats...

If you're a fan enough of one single game for it to be worth the $400 starting price, then fine. As for me, I'll probably pick up a PS3 in the next six months instead.

Yeah but think about it. You've got a PS4 basically bought and paid for. You're already set until the next NEXT generation. That's a big ass hurdle out of the way.

As for myself, I'll still be rocking a PS3, my Wii U, and a PS4 for the foreseeable future.

Dave Long

Banned
If he applies credit toward new games, he can save money for his next gen. It's a win either way.

It's going to take more than $350 to get started. You need something to play and you may need controllers for multiplayer (if they still make that kind of game next generation). You're looking at over $500 for a day one PS4.

Frodo

If he applies credit toward new games, he can save money for his next gen. It's a win either way.

It's going to take more than $350 to get started. You need something to play and you may need controllers for multiplayer (if they still make that kind of game next generation). You're looking at over $500 for a day one PS4.

I so agree with this. Every time I buy a new console I end up expending £100~200 on top of the price of the console in games and accessories and controllers and whatnot.

I'm in no hurry at all to buy the PS4180. And even if I were, my budget would not allow it this year.

Caramello

I made the same decision about a month ago. PS3/Wii U/3DS is plenty for me this year. I don't want to miss out on games for those platforms just get get the new hotness. Basically all the PS4 games that interest me are launching next year and beyond.

onipex

Yup, I don't see the point in rushing to get the PS4/X1 myself. Most of the games I want for those are muliplats and since I can already play those whats the point.

They may be worth it by the end of 2014 or early 2015 but right now I don't see anything worth spending that money on. Instead I will buy more games for the consoles I already own.

OP between the PS3 and Wii U you will have plenty to play so I don't think you will have time for a PS4 and it will likely be cheaper to get when you decide to jump in.

batbeg

OP this is exactly what I'm doing as well. There's no reason to mistakenly buy another system day one then proceed to wait a year for games I want.

Jrs3000

I've made my choice already to wait for a price drop on this new gen. I have PC/WiiU/Ps3/360/3DS to keep me occupied until exclusives come out.

RayMaker

Banned
I agree that neither launch line up has a title that you absolutely must have.

I may even wait untill xmas 2014 when devs start to develop more X1/PS4 only.

I will have to sell my launch 60GB PS3 to be able to afford a next gen system so that will be until GTA5 comes to next gen or until i get bored of it.

I wonder what will be the first next gen title that makes the masses go out and pick up a next gen system? i'am thinking an open world game made by either Bethesda or rockstar, fallout 4 or RDR2 perhaps?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

Lol What?

Killzone Shadowfall
Battlefield 4 (64 Players, Large Maps, 60fps, 1080p)
PlanetSide 2
Watchdogs
Driveclub
Blacklight Retribution
Outlast
Need for Speed
Fifa 14
Knack
Assassins Creed 4 Black Flag
Call of Duty Ghosts: The Definitive Console Version (lol)

are all compelling reasons to own a PS4.

Many are multi plats yes, but the next gen version will be vastly superior or even different games in most cases (aside from CoD), and the feature set of the PS4, plus the Dual Shock 4, will enrich those experiences even more.

batbeg

Lol What?

Killzone Shadowfall
PlanetSide 2
Watchdogs
Driveclub
Blacklight Retribution
Outlast
Need for Speed
Fifa 14
Knack

Many are multi plats yes, but the next gen version will be vastly superior or even different games in most cases (aside from CoD), and the feature set of the PS4, plus the Dual Shock 4, will enrich those experiences even more.

I know this might be surprising but there are gamers that wouldn't find a single title in that list compelling. I know because I am one.

Gestault

I think people getting rid of their PS3s now, of all times, are crazy. The system is coming into its prime. Bar none. The PS4 library will take time to develop, just like every system. The price point will need to come down over time for many to be able to enjoy it.

2013/14: Legitimately the "Year(s) of the PS3"

I swore we already saw video of Watch Dogs.. If I'm mistaken I apologize.

ACIII was already neck and neck with PS360. Would be really surprised if a year later and Ubi wasn't much more familiar with the Wii U hardware.

There is no Wii U confirmed videos of WD, but if I am not mistaken, development began on PC, then PS4/XB1 and Wii U. The current gen version PS360 started development later, that is a sign that Wii U version could steal more of the next gen and PC version than current gen. At least I am positive could go either way I guess.

You are correct AC3 was a perfect port.

And yes PS3 is still a great console with superb library, people are just tired of it I guess. I am still impressed by what PS360 can do, but I decided to go PC gaming as my upgrade.

CrisKre

Im in the exact same boat. Have a Ps4 preordered but im contemplating enjoying Wii u, 3ds and Ps3 this year and getting the Ps4 late next year. Thats the right call for me I think. Especially considering im getting: for Wii U- Rayman legends, W101, TWW HD, Sonic, DK TF, Mario 3d World. For 3ds- Zelda ALBW, Pokemon, and possibly Batman by armature.
Also, PS3-Pupeteer, Heavy Rain if its good and will borrow a vita to play Tearaway.

Too much amazing stuff to play, too little time.

So I've got $365 in credit at Gamestop right now toward a PS4. I was like EVERYONE else and once Sony announced the price I (may have even literally) typed "Well shit I'll buy two!!!!" Everything they've shown for the system looks incredible. Everything they've said has been spot on. Honestly PS4 is one of the first times in years I've been excited for a new console generation.

But that launch window line-up..... it's not "wtf are they thinking???" bad, and xbone even if I had the slightest interest in it doesn't really have a better launch window. I mean yeah, that's just how systems launch these days.. Hell, even going back to PS2/GCN/Xbox. Even going back to the gen BEFORE THAT (well, Mario 64 was amazing).

So here I am with my PS3 and my Wii U. Clearly PLENTY of games coming out this fall between both to fill up time with. And Watch Dogs, the PS4 launch title I am most interested in looks damn fine on Wii U. Not PS4 fine, but looking like above PS3/360.

So yeah... $365 at gamestop. Starting to wonder if that will be better spent on some Wii U titles and PS3 exclusives, and just grabbing the PS4 next year when Second Son and a couple more titles hit for that system. And result would be I'll have a TON of choices for PS4 games, and this fall will end up costing me next to nothing out of pocket with my credit...

Can't believe I might possibly end up being one of THOSE guys... wow..

It's your opinion and not criticizing you but I'm giddy with excitement with next gen and I can't believe you'd buy a wii U over a PS4. I would understand if there was a significant price drop on the Wii U, but at this price point? No way.

MercuryLS

Banned
I won't buy the PS4 untill there is a nice backlog. Why own a device that'll just collect dust the first 6 months.

I might be in the minority here, but I'm really looking forward to a lot of the indie titles that Sony announced at E3. I imagine that many of them will be out in the first half of 2014. Even if retail releases are dry early next year, there should be plenty of cool titles to play IMO.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I know this might be surprising but there are gamers that wouldn't find a single title in that list compelling. I know because I am one.

Not surprising in the least. And if you are an indie only gamer, there are plenty of those as well.

But would you argue that stating there are "no compelling reasons to own a PS4 this holiday" is a bit inaccurate for the majority of gamers?

Saying "There is no compelling reason for me personally to buy a PS4 this holiday, because I generally have different tastes than the majority of gamers" would be a bit more accurate and less inflammatory.

This is exactly what I'm doing. Already have my PS3 and WiiU. Any Cross-Gen ports like AC4 and Watch_Dogs i'll be picking up on WiiU alongside all there upcoming titles (i.e W101, Zelda, Sonic, DK, and Mario) and for everything else such as GTA i'll be picking up on my PS3. As much as I love Killzone nothing else in the launch line up interests me enough to go out and buy a PS4 just yet. Ntm my 3DS is still gonna be getting alot of burn thanks to some end of the year games(Pokemon, Zelda). So really that 400$ I'd be spending on PS4 would be better off suited getting all these games. Probably by the time Second Son drops I'll pick up the PS4.

Edit: Thinking about it now, even after I get the PS4 any ports between it and the WiiU i'll probably still get the WiiU version, personally I prefer the added functionality of the gamepad whether its simply inventory management or a full time map or something more innovative to pretty graphics on the PS4.

CrisKre

Not surprising in the least. And if you are an indie only gamer, there are plenty of those as well.

But would you argue that stating there are "no compelling reasons to own a PS4 this holiday" is a bit inaccurate for the majority of gamers?

Saying "There is no compelling reason for me personally to buy a PS4 this holiday, because I generally have different tastes than the majority of gamers" would be a bit more accurate and less inflammatory.

Going by many of the sentiments expressed in this thread it isn´t accurate to state ¨because I generally have different tastes than the majority of gamers¨ either. Going by exclusives PS4 known launch lineup is pretty narrow in its offerings actually. Many people share that view and it does not seem to fall into the ¨generally different taste¨ category either.

You can not ask someone to not generalize and then utter a generalization.

CrisKre

It's your opinion and not criticizing you but I'm giddy with excitement with next gen and I can't believe you'd buy a wii U over a PS4. I would understand if there was a significant price drop on the Wii U, but at this price point? No way.

Wii U lineup this year is simply stellar if you like Nintendo games. Nothing to show disbelief over actually, since many, many people seem to think 2013 will be much stronger in the games front for nintendo´s console than sony.

Sendou

This half of 2013 Wii U is pretty much on its own league but how about 2014? I'd say with games like Bayonetta 2, SSB4 and Mario Kart 8 it's onto a great start.

These matters are so subjective though. Glad we have all these machines offering different types of games.

I'm feeling the same but I am hoping a few games get shown in a few weeks or so so I can hold on to my PS4 pre-order but right now it does not seem wise to buy at launch

Timeaisis

Wii U lineup this year is simply stellar if you like Nintendo games. Nothing to show disbelief over actually, since many, many people seem to think 2013 will be much stronger in the games front for nintendo´s console than sony.

Subjective, but yeah. Myself included. The only non-Nintendo game I'm looking forward to this year is Watch_Dogs, but honestly, it looks like I may be getting that for Wii U anyway. But to each their own.

What I don't get is people who are expressing lack of interest in PS4 at launch yet bought a Wii U in the past year, maybe even at launch as well.

Timeaisis

What I don't get is people who are expressing lack of interest in PS4 at launch yet bought a Wii U in the past year, maybe even at launch as well.

Yeah, that's understandable. For me, I bought a Wii U about 2 months after it came out. And it was more of me being excited for the Gamepad (gimmicky as it may seem to some people). For PS4, I'm excited about the features and the (eventually) console exclusives. But, to me, at the moment, there aren't enough exclusives to get me to buy it immediately. With the Wii U it was more like "hey, novel gameplay opportunities!" where you obviously couldn't get anywhere else. Not that it had a great launch line-up, but that was my logic behind the purchase.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

True. There are already more interesting games on PS4 announced for the launch window than I could play anyway. On Wii U only NSMBU and Pikmin 3 have caught my interest, VC games set aside.

well i bought it for nintendoland and to a much lesser extent for mario bros.

i must say i was satisfied with nintendoland. too bad there was not much after that (the original lineup looked to me like there will be rayman in february, monster hunter and lego in march and pikmin soon after that. it didnt pan out like that as we now know.)

all in all it was a giant waste of money since i could have just waited and bought the wiiu round about now for 150 euros less easily.

The majority of gamers will not be buying a PS4 this year. The majority of gamers are not willing to buy a PS4 this year. It's not so different than any other launch. Most people will buy the system later in its life cycle like any other console as it's list of reasons to own grows. It's very normal for people to not buy hardware at launch. I'm just getting caught up in your use of "majority of gamers" is all. I mean you do realize the majority(pretty big number here) are not compelled to buy a PS4 this year, right?

True. There are already more interesting games on PS4 announced for the launch window than I could play anyway. On Wii U only NSMBU and Pikmin 3 have caught my interest, VC games set aside.

Its all preference, some people see value in WiiU's games (even is most are late ports) and others dont. Same way some people dont see much value in PS4's launch line up outside a few titles i.e Killzone. Another reason is that the WiiU offered something different in a sense, we know exactly what we're getting with PS4. A console with stronger graphics and horsepower. W/ the WiiU many people probably wanted to experience the gamepad and what it can do. While there may not be many games out for it there are still plenty of other uses that the WiiU provides. It has the best web browser out of any of the consoles, Off-TV play has become a big plus to many people, and Miiverse has sort of become a game in and of itself. And with the WiiU it may not be getting many 3rd party games but everyone knows that it will always continue to get a stable of quality Nintendo games, and for some thats enough for them to continue to support the console.

Exclusive games - Wii U
Multiplats - PC
On the go and exclusives - 3ds

I honestly do not need anymore.

Right now.....

Exactly this. I even have a vita and ps3 to catch anything that falls through the cracks. Dark souls 2 and such. Ill be good for a long while. I'll catch one of the next gen twins when they price drop and have a bigger backlog on the cheap.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Lol What?

Killzone Shadowfall
PlanetSide 2
Watchdogs
Driveclub
Blacklight Retribution
Outlast
Need for Speed
Fifa 14
Knack

Lol and this list just proves the point - that there is no need to get a PS4 yet.

Top Bottom