• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 1UP Article on Sony's Online Plans

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3151632

Check out the Gran Turismo/Hard Drive comment. 8 o

from the OPM article:

PH: Well, I'll give you an example; Kazunori [Yamauchi, producer of the Gran Turismo series] would kill me for this: Imagine Gran Turismo shipping on a disc with one car and one track. And then you can browse, online, a dynamic circuit of vehicles that's growing every day because either the car manufacturers are adding new vehicles or we're adding new vehicles. And you can see a specific-type car that's being called up and say, "I think I'll play with that one. Let me download and play it." Maybe the business model allows you to play it for a day; maybe the business model allows you to own it forever. But that content is now yours on your hard drive. Or [maybe you could download] new tracks, new music, whole games.

You know, I think that developers and consumers are going to be presented with different "play packets." There will be the big 50-gigabyte experience led by a Best Buy, a GameStop, and that will be played through in a normal game style, but there will be other games that are totally dynamic, that are more like a service. That's what I was trying to show with the SingStar video at the end [of our GDC presentation].

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Seems far too vauge to actually mean anything. I can't wait till we get some concrete stuff. I wish we could see if they have a model like the 360 has where everything is unified.

I sure hope it's like that at least.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
The article writer is retarded Harrison took it to an extreme but how is this any different than any other racer offering new content for download?

Sony still isn't giving enough info to chew on.

MMaRsu

Banned
Sony are a bunch of

retard_keyboard.gif

DenogginizerOS

DarienA said:
The article writer is retarded Harrison took it to an extreme but how is this any different than any other racer offering new content for download?

Sony still isn't giving enough info to chew on.

1 track and 1 car on 1 disc! I think that is a bit extreme.

Arde0 said:
Do you think he was just using this as an example? jesus........

He was also worried about Sony using some kind of function that'd shut down every single PS3 in the world if Blu Ray was hacked. So...yah.

Ponn

Banned
Jesus, can we please stop posting "out of context" clips from articles for the purpose of making trolling/baiting threads.

Though the interview's from March's Game Developers Conference, contained within are some interesting comments about Sony's plans for PlayStation 3. When asked whether their online service will be similar to Microsoft's:

Mmmkay

It's obviously not a workable scenario given the percentage of people who connect their consoles to the internet and was more just a thought exercise. That won't stop this thread being 15 pages or people hyperbolically claiming that Sony is selling a 1track/car racer for $60.

DenogginizerOS

SolidSnakex said:
He was also worried about Sony using some kind of function that'd shut down every single PS3 in the world if Blu Ray was hacked. So...yah.
I am more worried about your stalking me on these boards. As far as the hacking, it was Sony's decision to put that nugget in there. I fear nothing.

SolidSnakex said:

I know he was just using it as an example.

I DO think he was just using this as an example ( a bad one at that). Do you think he was serious?

I know he wasnt being serious....but why point out that part of the article pray tell? Were you just pointing out that it was a bad example or something more? Just curious.

DenogginizerOS

Arde0 said:
I know he was just using it as an example.

I know he wasnt being serious....but why point out that part of the article pray tell? Were you just pointing out that it was a bad example or something more? Just curious.
DarienA stated it was extreme. I was agreeing.

Me personal favorite part of the article was where he was asked about how hard the PS3 was hard to develop for, considering how supposedly hard the PS3 was:

There's kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy there. You know, there's this thing about where if you repeat something often enough, it becomes a fact. And I have to give credit to our friends at Microsoft. They banged on that drum repeatedly until it became considered conventional wisdom.

Amen to him saying that.

Ranger X

DenogginizerOS said:
1 track and 1 car on 1 disc! I think that is a bit extreme.

Extreme for right now, with our gaming habits as of now. They can slowly brainwash gamers with microtransactions and this could lead to this Microtransac Turismo.

svenuce

While I love this proposed model, Polyphony Digital couldn't even manage online play in past GTs, how in the world would they possibly become the leader in E-racing/microtranscations.

This wouldn't allow for online play. Everyone having different cars and tracks would scatter the whole online segment to a point of unplayability. It's just some brainstorming comming from PH.

Remember that Hirai said the same before GT4 came out.

RumFore

Banned
Borys said:
KILL MICROTRANSACTION

Kill them before they destroy the console/ PC gaming as we know it.

QFT!! I use to like the idea but after coming to the realization alot of developers will hold back on the simpliest of game ideas in hopes to charge a fee later I can do without it. I wouldnt be surprised if rockstar charged for adding doubles in Table Tennis.

Blame!

sony is no longer the leader....in the next generation they are the followers.

exhibit A: their entire online plan.

i love the warhwawk demo how it was like "buy a missile pack!".... "buy better guns!"

lame.

svenuce said:
I find it very difficult to believe. Online is just not in Japan's DNA.

fixed

Blame!

SolidSnakex said:
Yes something from them we know very little about because they haven't even talked about their "entire" online plan as of yet.

and yet the examples theyve been pullin outta their ass is instilling so much confidence in the public right now :lol

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
True, but its still essentially what the thread was started about. Or, at least, the obfuscation of it. ;)

Jonnyram

SolidSnakex said:
Yes something from them we know very little about because they haven't even talked about their "entire" online plan as of yet.
Yes, and that means they are following right now, even if it's just a temporary state of affairs. You can't lead if you don't play your cards.

Beowvlf

Banned
Good god, reading skill FTL. Read the damn sentence directly before the one you bolded please. End of discussion.

Who the F cares if they're leading? Clearly they're following on the online front. So?

What I hear them saying here is not some new tech, or new idea, but rather a change in focus for certain types of games that have a lot of modular content today-- music games, and GT with its many cars and tracks. Wipeout Pure did something similar, in that it came with many tracks and vehicles, but had nearly as many available for download as well. Sony would like that to be the default model (and presumably, to charge for that content. Wipeout was free). Depending on the initial cost and the d/l cost, I'll reserve judgment, but my gut tells me it's not a good idea, unless it's fairly optional to the experience *and* cheap or free.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Ranger X said:
Extreme for right now, with our gaming habits as of now. They can slowly brainwash gamers with microtransactions and this could lead to this Microtransac Turismo.

No, this would never fly - ever. It's just a silly example that the guy used.

And even if it did somehow, the Internet would have to be ubiquitous like a phone line in order for it to even be possible. Not everyone pays for the Internet.

Kittonwy

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Yes, and that means they are following right now, even if it's just a temporary state of affairs. You can't lead if you don't play your cards.

What cards do you expect them to play when the console itself isn't even out yet? Revealing everything now would be SHOWING their hand, and not PLAYING their hand.
Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
svenuce said:
While I love this proposed model, Polyphony Digital couldn't even manage online play in past GTs, how in the world would they possibly become the leader in E-racing/microtranscations.

I find it very difficult to believe. Online is just not in their DNA.

They're beta-testing GT online.
Indifferent2.gif

Mrbob

September is going to be an interesting month. Only a little over two months away until crow, on one side or the other, is massively eaten.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Dr_Cogent said:
No, this would never fly - ever. It's just a silly example that the guy used.

And even if it did somehow, the Internet would have to be ubiquitous like a phone line in order for it to even be possible. Not everyone pays for the Internet.
It wasn't presented as an either/or proposition. As in, there's a solution for the people without the broadband connection (the standard pre-packaged brick & mortar offering) and then a potential new, modular option for those with the bandwidth.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
kaching said:
It wasn't presented as an either/or proposition. As in, there's a solution for the people without the broadband connection (the standard pre-packaged brick & mortar offering) and then a potential new, modular option for those with the bandwidth.

If that's the case, I'm no fan of the potential new, modular option at all. Ala carte always seems to be more pricey in almost everything in the end.

jett said:
Microtransactions is the worst thing that could've happen to video games. :(

I agree. I was a dipstick and fell for it with Oblivion. I should not have. Please, forgive me!! :lol

Really, I don't ever want to do anything that stupid again.

DenogginizerOS

kaching said:
STEAMesque. Get direct downloads of the latest games to your hard drive or go buy the full version at Best Buy. That could work but I would rather have a bigger hard drive or a Bluray burner that I could use to backup a copy I download. Interestingly, if the games of the future will require Bluray discs because DVD's aren't big enough, one would have to assume that monstrous hard drives would be needed or a burner would have to be available to handle these monster downloadable games.

Kittonwy

Banned
Dr_Cogent said:
If that's the case, I'm no fan of the potential new, modular option at all. Ala carte always seems to be more pricey in almost everything in the end.

It's like downloading expansions versus buying them but in this case it can apply to the offline aspect of a game, instead of taking 4 years to make a game, they can release it in 2 or 3 years and continue to support the game with content for the next few years.
Indifferent2.gif

loosus

Banned
I have to say, I don't like any of these ideas. Games as services? No...just no. That can't be good for consumers long-term.

Mrbob

I really want to know if the PS3 service has cross game connecting like the 360 has. I want to see what games people on my friends list are playing, where they are in the game, and the ability to send cross game invites.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DenogginizerOS said:
STEAMesque. Get direct downloads of the latest games to your hard drive or go buy the full version at Best Buy. That could work but I would rather have a bigger hard drive or a Bluray burner that I could use to backup a copy I download. Interestingly, if the games of the future will require Bluray discs because DVD's aren't big enough, one would have to assume that monstrous hard drives would be needed or a burner would have to be available to handle these monster downloadable games.

There are subtleties to this.

I don't read this as a steam-like service beyond the smaller games. They have made the distinction between the smaller games that'll be downloadable (ala Live Arcade) and your big-budget multi gigabyte releases that'll come on disc.

With the Gran Turismo imaginings or with what's happening with Singstar already they're talking about something subtly different - turning a game into a service. I don't download "the whole game" as such. The game isn't one big monolithic package of data ala a Half-Life 2 installment. It's a very granular pick-and-mix thing. I don't need space to hold the whole game because I only download what I want. Same way I don't need space to hold the whole iTunes catalog - just what I choose to download.

I think I remember floating the suggestion of GT turning into something like Singstar, but I think the one-car/one-track on one disc thing is a bit extreme if it was the only option. If they gave you that, and gave you lots o' credit for your purchases online, and the option of picking up a more traditional disc with pre-selected content, that'd be reasonable. It's definitely interesting to think about this model though - with something like GT you may never need sequels again, or to wait for them, you just keep making more content and improvements available as they're ready, one-by-one. With the HDD you could even upgrade the graphics/physics engines etc. over the net. It becomes a continuous thing - 'service' describes it quite perfectly.

Top Bottom