• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 1UP Article on Sony's Online Plans

Jonnyram

Kittonwy said:
Don't be a pessimist!!! Be an optimist!!!
Indifferent2.gif
I am being an optimist! I'm optimistic that Wii360 can take advantage of Sony's hiccoughs.

Kittonwy

Banned
DCharlie said:
true of false : sony were launching in spring ?

if it's true, then the software/infra should be in a decent enough state to show. I'm aware that they are busy adding more , and that theoretically they might have had the online coming later on in the consoles life, but - i don't see what is wrong with my question.

If they were going to launch in spring, then perhaps the software is in a state to be shown.

At any point here am i saying "sony said spring and you believed them?"

Sony DID say spring, things were delayed - that's undeniable fact.
however, the reason for why the delay came about is still a little unclear, and given that something like online infra/integration software is probably going to be something that is out with devs way before the final hardware , i'm just wondering if they are holding back from showing what they have? Most likely because i _know_ they are adding stuff, but i'd just like to SEE the damned thing.

oh Kangu ... <3 <3 <3

I want to see Lair, why won't Sony show me Lair? It's not fair.
Indifferent2.gif

Kangu

Banned
DCharlie said:
true of false : sony were launching in spring ?

if it's true, then the software/infra should be in a decent enough state to show. I'm aware that they are busy adding more , and that theoretically they might have had the online coming later on in the consoles life, but - i don't see what is wrong with my question.

If they were going to launch in spring, then perhaps the software is in a state to be shown.

At any point here am i saying "sony said spring and you believed them?"

Sony DID say spring, things were delayed - that's undeniable fact.
however, the reason for why the delay came about is still a little unclear, and given that something like online infra/integration software is probably going to be something that is out with devs way before the final hardware , i'm just wondering if they are holding back from showing what they have? Most likely because i _know_ they are adding stuff, but i'd just like to SEE the damned thing.

oh Kangu ... <3 <3 <3

Oh come on!

Fishie's pet baiting moves:

1) Remember Killzone guys? Sony lied, they're a bunch of liars. Remember way back when, when they lied? Yeah I remember.

2) [as facetious as he could possibly be] I thought PS3 was launching in spring guys? Right? Right? I remember way back when in x thread when I said Ps3 was not launching in spring and you guys were all like 'crucify him!!'

OMG GT4 sold 300,000 copies everything else is in warehouses SEGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA[/as facetious as he could possibly be]

Nobody believes Sony was really launching in spring. Those who did have changed their mind in light of the delay and the state of Sony's games at E3. Those who still do have to be commited.

YOU don't believe Sony was launching in Spring. You don't believe they ever intended to, so what possible reason could you have to make such a baiting post? Oh wai...

<3<3<3

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I thank you for buying PS3.

I post at Tokyopia and I will buy a PS3 it's teh true-true!!! And so will gman I'm sure with the big money Sony pays him.

And I will challenge you online... after I spoon-feed Wollan teh bitter medicine of online gaming defeat

I can't see Gman getting one until the price comes down - perhaps i'm wrong, but he didn't seem overly enthusiastic about purchasing. Besides, he has an X360, why would he need one? ;)

Awesome - we are upto three people now actually - i remember someone else in the group said they were 'very happy with the price and can't understand why people are surprised" (@ 62k / 80k in Japan) :O

BRING YOUR DEFEAT MEDICINE... ;)

Amir0x

Banned
guys there's a PlayStation event in the summer maybe they will show shit then

and also there's TGS

Jonnyram's thread reminds me of Solidsnake's tekken pimping. hilarious

DCharlie said:
Besides, he has an X360, why would he need one

so he can play japanese games that don't suck silly

DCharlie

YOU don't believe Sony was launching in Spring. You don't believe they ever intended to, so what possible reason could you have to make such a baiting post? Oh wai...

yes, i didn't believe sony would launch in spring , but the reasons i didn't think they'd launch had nothing to do with incomplete infrastructure/network service etc.

So yes, i didn't believe they were launching in spring - but i did think that the online side was sorted. We had a couple of interviews late last year where devs were saying they were impressed by what they'd seen, so i'd just like a slice of the action and would like to see it. That's all i'm saying.

Nobody believes Sony was really launching in spring. Those who did have changed their mind in light of the delay and the state of Sony's games at E3. Those who still do have to be commited.

In retrospec, it's pretty obvious, but you aren't honestly suggesting that NO ONE believed sony would launch in spring? err... okay. You also mention no one believed after E3 (where the delay was announced!) and when the games were shown... that' leaves a whole 12 months or so for people to believe what they want/are told.

Hmm... this is getting way off topic now. So lets swing back...

Kangu

Banned
Jonnyram said:
I see what you're doing here. Sure, nobody believes it now, but a lot of people believed it back then.

I see what you're doing here. You chop up my sentence so that your point works. I already covered it so that I didn't have to reply to a post like yours, yet you do some selective reading/editing and lo, here I am.

DCharlie

Those who did still believed that it was coming in spring changed thier mind after being told it's coming out in the Fall?!??

NO WAI!

Amir0x

Banned
Kangu said:

I see what you're doing here. You chop up my sentence so that your point works. I already covered it so that I didn't have to reply to a post like yours, yet you do some selective reading/editing and lo, here I am.

no, nobody still does because Sony announced that the shit was DELAYED

until that time, plenty of people still thought the shit was launching in Spring. What are the people going to say after Sony announces a delay, 'it's still possible'? :lol

Jonnyram

Kangu said:
Sorry, I'm not getting your point. You're saying that people don't believe that Sony planned to launch in Spring now. That's true. But people did believe that Sony planned to launch in Spring back then. So it's obvious Sony lied back then. But somehow this doesn't affect your judgement now? Sony is still pure and holy and will launch on target with no issues? That's what people thought before Spring too.

Kangu

Banned
DCharlie said:
In retrospec, it's pretty obvious, but you aren't honestly suggesting that NO ONE believed sony would launch in spring? err... okay. You also mention no one believed after E3 (where the delay was announced!) and when the games were shown... that' leaves a whole 12 months or so for people to believe what they want/are told.

Hmm... this is getting way off topic now. So lets swing back...

You're normally such a good reader DC! I said no one believes, present tense! So no, I'm not saying no one believed. If I was I think I would have used the appropriate tense.

As for the online service being ready, it could be ready sure, but why'd you have to bring the spring launch into it is all I'm saying.

Plus you know (better than anyone) that Sony's software development is an unmitigated disaster. I expect the service to be pretty damn bad, but the PSP gives some hope at least.

Kangu

Banned
Amir0x said:

no, nobody still does because Sony announced that the shit was DELAYED

until that time, plenty of people still thought the shit was launching in Spring. What are the people going to say after Sony announces a delay, 'it's still possible'? :lol

English is not my first language, so bear with me if I'm ****ing this up, but I think I'm using the tenses correctly.

Myself said:

In light of the delay, and the events at E3, no one believes (today, present tense!) Sony EVER planned to launch in spring. Am I making myself clear?

EDIT: Jonnyram, GTFO please. I'm not even talking about Sony's online service, or whether they lied or not. All I'm saying is DC made a blatantly baiting post! Don't you have some insidur info to post somewhere?

Amir0x

Banned
Kangu said:
English is not my first language, so bear with me if I'm ****ing this up, but I think I'm using the tenses correctly.

no, you're saying it correctly i'm sure... i just don't understand the point.

'Cause i mean, of course nobody believes it today. It's used as a sarcastic joke because Sony bullshitted about it all up until like the day they announced a delay :p

Kangu

Banned
Amir0x said:
no, you're saying it correctly i'm sure... i just don't understand the point.

'Cause i mean, of course nobody believes it today. It's used as a sarcastic joke because Sony bullshitted about it all up until like the day they announced a delay :p

ARGH. My point is DC is being facetious and blatantly baiting some of the "should be comitted contingent". That is all. Nothing about the service, nothing about the delay. His post was very fishiesque, and I pointed it out. That is all. Somehow this turned into a TOEFL test.

Amir0x

Banned
ok man

sooooo...

anyway, Sony has a festival later next month and then TGS comes so i'm pretty positive we'll get some shit about their online by then. if not, UH OH ALERT

Kittonwy

Banned
Amir0x said:
ok man

sooooo...

anyway, Sony has a festival later next month and then TGS comes so i'm pretty positive we'll get some shit about their online by then. if not, UH OH ALERT

I look forward to seeing and hearing Sony Online in the next few months. And Lair of course, gotta have that Lair.
Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
DCharlie said:
I can't see Gman getting one until the price comes down - perhaps i'm wrong, but he didn't seem overly enthusiastic about purchasing. Besides, he has an X360, why would he need one? ;)

Awesome - we are upto three people now actually - i remember someone else in the group said they were 'very happy with the price and can't understand why people are surprised" (@ 62k / 80k in Japan) :O

BRING YOUR DEFEAT MEDICINE... ;)

gman will buy and you know it.
Indifferent2.gif

I will bring teh medicine!!!
angry.gif

Mr. Singh will be persuaded as well, it's only a matter of time (before Christmas 2007 hopefully)!!!
Indifferent2.gif

If PS3 online is fully free for matchmaking and (non-MMO) gameplay, Sony is damned stupid for not emphasizing it at E3. No slide, no banner, no literature. I'd have had big FREE ONLINE signs everywhere.

I'm not saying that the online isn't free. Sony being damned stupid is certainly just as likely.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
DCharlie said:
I'm sick of being asked to imagine what the PS3 online is going to be like... i want to see it, see what they have.
That's an obvious trap. If they start explicitly showing you what PS3 Online will be, you'll just shift to saying that you won't believe in their SHADY TARGET RENDERS of the online service until you actually have the PS3 in your hands to test for yourself. ;)

DCharlie

ARGH. My point is DC is being facetious and blatantly baiting some of the "should be comitted contingent". That is all

The reason i mentioned that Sony may/might/should/could have something to show on the online front is that software wise the online stuff would most likely be inplace well before the system itself is finalised.

If sony were aiming for Spring some 12 months ago, this timeline wouldn't affect the software development (other than to allow for extras to be added) too much i'd have thought and i'd expect the online to be in a decent enough state.

Most likely, it's all to do with not wanting to giving any surprises away to the competition, but i just want to see it up and running. That's all.

Re: 'spring launch' - there is nothing to discuss on this anymore. I'm not sure why i would want to recycle that one.

If they start explicitly showing you what PS3 Online will be, you'll just shift to saying that you won't believe in their SHADY TARGET RENDERS of the online service until you actually have the PS3 in your hands to test for yourself. ;)

hey lets not get ahead of ourselves here - they DID show shady target renders of their online service! ;)

besides - there is a massive difference here : one would be software running on the hardware (which only a moron would refute) and the other is CG target that might/might not be how a game looks. Worlds apart!

WalkMan

Banned
Amir0x said:
ok man

sooooo...

I'm guessing the playstation meeting in August. That's when they announced the PSP V2.0 update last year and it's a fitting time to show off some Online Slides.

For what it is, I'm guessing the project is huge. Supposedly supports both the PSP and PS3?

Sony's fanbase doesnt really care about online gaming...so i dont think its something to tout at any press hearing...i mean a lot of owners play online, but beyond signing in and getting a game on, do they really want Xbox Live-Lite...not imo...b/c MS is trying to tell us it is important, doesnt make it so

IMHO...wat you had in the past, is what you will be served with in the future...online will barely be different than wat it is now on a ps2...w/e service Sony is showing us now, will not be ready day/date with the launch in any territory...b/c to me it isnt real

PS3 games, BR movies, online compatible...pretty simple

PS1-100 million
PS2-100 million
PS3-100 million

not to mention 600 dollars

...it prints money

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
DCharlie said:
hey lets not get ahead of ourselves here - they DID show shady target renders of their online service! ;)
But these would be all animated and stuff...and the presenter would have a headset on, convincingly acting as if he's talking to Velocity Girl who defected to the dark side because she saw how cool HD Singstar is!

besides - there is a massive difference here : one would be software running on the hardware (which only a moron would refute)
Is there a way for me to bet money that you'd refute it anyway, without implying you're a moron? :)

Kangu

Banned
DCharlie said:
Re: 'spring launch' - there is nothing to discuss on this anymore. I'm not sure why i would want to recycle that one.

Because you're baiting?

N E HOW

**** Microtransactions. I think Sony is about to launch the most convoluted online service ever. There's going to be like a billion different price points for everything and it won't make any sense at all.

Something along the lines of:
New tracks in GT5 $1.99
Upgraded AI $11.99
New songs $5.99
Photo Mode $59.99
New cars $.50-$599

Amir0x

Banned
jordan0386 said:
Sony's fanbase doesnt really care about online gaming...so i dont think its something to tout at any press hearing...i mean a lot of owners play online, but beyond signing in and getting a game on, do they really want Xbox Live-Lite...not imo...b/c MS is trying to tell us it is important, doesnt make it so

emot-siren.gif
emot-siren.gif
emot-siren.gif
emot-siren.gif
emot-siren.gif

First, don't generalize... I'm part of Sony's "fanbase", and I desperately want a quality online experience from them.

Two, if Sony ever wants to be competitive going forward... they need a competing online format. Regardless of how important it was last gen, there is now zero doubt of the increasing and ever vital role that online gaming plays in the lives of consumers. This will merely continue to grow for years to come. If Sony wants to grow with it, they know what to do. Showing their online system and how it works is CRITICAL.

Three, Sony gamers certainly showed they cared about online - SOCOM series remains to this day one of the most played online games from the last generation of consoles. I think that's a pretty loud 'mumble' to just ignore myself! They really should have something like SOCOM 4 (PS3) ready to go to be the killer app for this service imo.

DCharlie

Is there a way for me to bet money that you'd refute it anyway, without implying you're a moron?

no i wouldn't refute it, you are just making a straw man case here to prove something you can't ! :D

DCharlie

Bets are strawmen now? Sheesh, how do we gamble then?

sorry, misread, i though you were talking about what i would have said if they'd shown.

feel free to bet, you'll just be making yerself look foolish :)

Kittonwy

Banned
Amir0x said:
emot-siren.gif
emot-siren.gif
emot-siren.gif
emot-siren.gif
emot-siren.gif

First, don't generalize... I'm part of Sony's "fanbase", and I desperately want a quality online experience from them.

Two, if Sony ever wants to be competitive going forward... they need a competing online format. Regardless of how important it was last gen, there is now zero doubt of the increasing and ever vital role that online gaming plays in the lives of consumers. This will merely continue to grow for years to come. If Sony wants to grow with it, they know what to do. Showing their online system and how it works is CRITICAL.

Three, Sony gamers certainly showed they cared about online - SOCOM series remains to this day one of the most played online games from the last generation of consoles. I think that's a pretty loud 'mumble' to just ignore myself! They really should have something like SOCOM 4 (PS3) ready to go to be the killer app for this service imo.

Buy a PS3, you will have online!!! I will see you at launch.
Indifferent2.gif

parada911

I'm interested to see what they come up with...if they leave it in the hands of developers like PS2 or if they will created a unified online package.

Top Bottom