• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 4090 GPU won't initialize on cold boot, but will on reboot.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The problem:
When cold booting my Asus TUF gaming 4090 does not initialize and I am forced to connect my Samsung G65B to the iGPU on my Ryzen 7800X3D to get into Windows. Once I am in windows my secondary monitor which is still connected to the Asus 4090 TUF shows a screen and once I move the Samsung to the 4090, everything appears fine. WHen I reboot the system works as normal. However, when I shut down the system, it has the same issues.

My motherboard is the Asus X670E Rog Strix Gaming-E with the latest BIOS.

1. I tried clearing the CMOS - same issue.
2. Driver reinstall - same issue.
3. DIsabled Fast boot - same issue.

I am actually wondering if it could be my monitor itself.

I want to mention that my GPU is brand new. I previously had a Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090, but I exchanged it due to concerns about the PCB cracking and such.

If anyone knows of another forum to post this issue, I'd love to know more!

This simply makes no sense.

Use the slot on the mobo that uses the most PCIe lanes(1st slot on mobo). Try checking for any driver updates on the Nvidia website or geforce experience(if you have it). Also, since most 4090 AIB GPUs have dual bios, try resetting it or check for any GPU bios updates, as those can cause the GPU to crash on boot, rather than initialising it properly.

RMA ASAP and request a replacement

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Well...it would appear that the culprit was a bad DP cable. I did read on one forum that a bad DP cable can cause a bad signal that to the GPU which can inhibit the ability to initialize.

I bought a monoprice DP 2.0 cable and, for the moment, it's no longer doing it and has had two successful cold boots. I am thinking this was more a monitor issue than a GPU issue since my Gigabyte M27Q never had screen issues.

I will see if things continue to happen.
This, and make sure you're using the first PCI Express x16 slot.
I'm certainly using the first slot.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Well....I spoke too soon. Computer was turned off for 6 hours and it happened again. GPU wouldn't initialize and I had to plug the DP cable into the iGPU port on the motherboard to get a video signal.

Once I rebooted, everything is normal.

This is really weird behavior that makes no sense.

The next time I turn on the computer from being off, I'll have the secondary monitor be the only monitor plugged in and see if it posts that way.

For those of you telling me to RMA it, I will exchange it at MC first.

I honestly believe it's my Samsung monitor causing the problem. There is no difference in which port it's plugged into.

It could also be an nvidia driver.

Stuart360

Buy a new power supply and try that.

Still surprised you didn't try this first instead of thinking of all these other things which are tangential at best.
I was just going to say that it sounds like a possible psu problem. In fact i had a similar issue years ago when i upgraded to a 980ti from a 970 (got it gifted). My psu was powerful enough, but i guess efficiency had gone down over time.
Replacing the psu with a 700watt model fixed the issue.

Banned
my old PC had a motherboard issue where the card (a GTX1070) on a cold boot always was detected as PCIe x2
only after a reboot did it handshake properly and ran in x16 mode.

this was fixed after I flashed a new bios update on my motherboard. which also fixed some XMP issues I had, where XMP profiles failed to post, and I had to manually adjust the memory instead. after the bios flash the card always started up correctly as x16 and the XMP profiles of my memory worked without issue.

some motherboards really need bios updates to work correctly, and even tho it's always a scary thing to flash the bios on a motherboard, that might be something to look into.
you said it's the newest bios, but maybe that will be fixed in the future, if it is the motherboard at fault

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Buy a new power supply and try that.

Still surprised you didn't try this first instead of thinking of all these other things which are tangential at best.
I didn't think of it's because it's a stupid suggestion.

"Buy this!" "Buy that..." These aren't practical suggestions.

There is no evidence that it's a power supply issue.
I can run RTX heavy games like Cyberpunk Jedi Survivor without crashes.

If there was a PSU issue, it would manifest itself into when playing games.
I was just going to say that it sounds like a possible psu problem. In fact i had a similar issue years ago when i upgraded to a 980ti from a 970 (got it gifted). My psu was powerful enough, but i guess efficiency had gone down over time.
Replacing the psu with a 700watt model fixed the issue.

I have a 1000W brand new Corsair for the past year.,

It ain't the power supply.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
my old PC had a motherboard issue where the card (a GTX1070) on a cold boot always was detected as PCIe x2
only after a reboot did it handshake properly and ran in x16 mode.

this was fixed after I flashed a new bios update on my motherboard. which also fixed some XMP issues I had, where XMP profiles failed to post, and I had to manually adjust the memory instead. after the bios flash the card always started up correctly as x16 and the XMP profiles of my memory worked without issue.

some motherboards really need bios updates to work correctly, and even tho it's always a scary thing to flash the bios on a motherboard, that might be something to look into.
you said it's the newest bios, but maybe that will be fixed in the future, if it is the motherboard at fault
That's what I am thinking, but it also doesn't make sense, given that I have an ASUS X670 motherboard and an ASUS 4090 Tuf gaming. I didn't have this issue with my previous Gigabyte GPU. I did have dropouts.

What I will probably do is a clean wipeout of WIndows. I have undergone several hardware changes and maybe I just need a fresh OS install.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Sometimes its the cable itself that causes problems.
That seems like a possibility.

Try your tv then to make sure.

Well, it gets interesting. It's almost 100% likely that the Samsung is the issue. I am not sure it's a defect, but I'll get in touch with Samsung support and see if I can get a replacement, but I am more inclined to believe it's a firmware issue than a defective panel. When I turned on the computer this morning, I unplugged my Samsung monitor and used my Gigabyte as the boot monitor. The GPU initialized, booted into Windows, I reconnected my Samsung monitor and everything appears to be normal in Windows. So...I dunno.

I have 3 monitors:
1. My main PC monitor is my Samsung G65B - a 1440p / 240 Hz VA panel - I use this for fast paced gaming and stuff that works better with a mouse and keyboard. I play Quake 2 and the original Unreal Tournament all the time and enjoy the motion clarity and contrast.
2. My secondary monitor is my Gigabyte M27Q - a 1440p - 170Hz IPS panel - this was previously my main gaming monitor. It's kind of being wasted as a secondary monitor as most people would be very happy if this was a primary.
3. My 48 inch LG C1 OLED - this is my main gaming monitor for PC. I keep this panel off most of the time except when gaming as it is unsuitable for desktop use, but perfect for modern single player gaming.

Of those 3, my Samsung has been far and away the most flaky. It often has issues waking up. I get weird visual artifacts from time to time and scanlines all the time. I have to restart video drivers (Win+Shift+Ctrl+B) all the damn time to get a screen if the monitor goes to sleep. Samsung monitors have tragically developed a reputation for having QC issues and in my experience I can see why. Of those 3 monitors, to achieve a 240 Hz refresh rate at 1440p, the Samsung has to utilize Display Stream Compressionto unlock it's full potential and I wonder if that causes issues. I have replace the DP cable with the highest quality I can find. However, when my Samsung works, it satisfies me from a gaming perspective as much as any monitor could. I do hope other monitor manufacturers start to put in the effort into finetuning VA panels, as the contrast is so much better than IPS.
My Gigabyte monitor has been far and away my most reliable. It never has any trouble waking up. Has solid image quality. The only reason I use the Samsung over it, is the 240 Hz and the better contrast due to being a VA panel. They're pretty equivalent when it comes to pixel response with both being excellent.

mrmustard

Banned
That seems like a possibility.

Well, it gets interesting. It's almost 100% likely that the Samsung is the issue. I am not sure it's a defect, but I'll get in touch with Samsung support and see if I can get a replacement, but I am more inclined to believe it's a firmware issue than a defective panel. When I turned on the computer this morning, I unplugged my Samsung monitor and used my Gigabyte as the boot monitor. The GPU initialized, booted into Windows, I reconnected my Samsung monitor and everything appears to be normal in Windows. So...I dunno.

I have 3 monitors:
1. My main PC monitor is my Samsung G65B - a 1440p / 240 Hz VA panel - I use this for fast paced gaming and stuff that works better with a mouse and keyboard. I play Quake 2 and the original Unreal Tournament all the time and enjoy the motion clarity and contrast.
2. My secondary monitor is my Gigabyte M27Q - a 1440p - 170Hz IPS panel - this was previously my main gaming monitor. It's kind of being wasted as a secondary monitor as most people would be very happy if this was a primary.
3. My 48 inch LG C1 OLED - this is my main gaming monitor for PC. I keep this panel off most of the time except when gaming as it is unsuitable for desktop use, but perfect for modern single player gaming.

Of those 3, my Samsung has been far and away the most flaky. It often has issues waking up. I get weird visual artifacts from time to time and scanlines all the time. I have to restart video drivers (Win+Shift+Ctrl+B) all the damn time to get a screen if the monitor goes to sleep. Samsung monitors have tragically developed a reputation for having QC issues and in my experience I can see why. Of those 3 monitors, to achieve a 240 Hz refresh rate at 1440p, the Samsung has to utilize Display Stream Compressionto unlock it's full potential and I wonder if that causes issues. I have replace the DP cable with the highest quality I can find. However, when my Samsung works, it satisfies me from a gaming perspective as much as any monitor could. I do hope other monitor manufacturers start to put in the effort into finetuning VA panels, as the contrast is so much better than IPS.
My Gigabyte monitor has been far and away my most reliable. It never has any trouble waking up. Has solid image quality. The only reason I use the Samsung over it, is the 240 Hz and the better contrast due to being a VA panel. They're pretty equivalent when it comes to pixel response with both being excellent.
Whatever it is i hope you'll get it fixed soon. Nothing sucks more than spending much money and then it doesn't work properly.

SantaC

Happened to me when my memory was clocked too high.

Lower your DDR5 speed.

Last edited:

Myths

This is a recurring problem for many owners and it happens randomly at times. You just have to deal with it unfortunately.

It’s annoying but requires a force shut off to get back your display. Mine does this too here and there, but not too frequently. In fact, it occurs in the opposite situation: from a reboot this happens once in a while and not a cold boot.

Last edited:

RagnarokIV

Switch to using HDMI for a few days and you won't get any of the issues.

It's a DP protocol thing. I had it happen on a few GPUs (I got so pissed I was ready to give up). Even sometimes giving me beep codes or refusing to post. I used an old random DP cable, an Amazon one but then started using one that came with my Dell monitor - never had any issues since.

There's a handshake over DP with the GPU or some shit and certain cables don't play nice.

I'm 95% sure this is the same thing I was having.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
This is a recurring problem for many owners and it happens randomly at times. You just have to deal with it unfortunately.

It’s annoying but requires a force shut off to get back your display. Mine does this too here and there, but not too frequently. In fact, it occurs in the opposite situation: from a reboot this happens once in a while and not a cold boot.
A recurring problem for Samsung monitor owners or PC owners? I never had this issue prior or with any other monitor.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Switch to using HDMI for a few days and you won't get any of the issues.

It's a DP protocol thing. I had it happen on a few GPUs (I got so pissed I was ready to give up). Even sometimes giving me beep codes or refusing to post. I used an old random DP cable, an Amazon one but then started using one that came with my Dell monitor - never had any issues since.

There's a handshake over DP with the GPU or some shit and certain cables don't play nice.

I'm 95% sure this is the same thing I was having.
Switching to HDMI makes the monitor 100% useless. I won't get 240 Hz or GSync.

I am using a monoprice cable that is certified for DP2.0 right now and I haven't seen any weird issues.

RagnarokIV

Switching to HDMI makes the monitor 100% useless. I won't get 240 Hz or GSync.

I am using a monoprice cable that is certified for DP2.0 right now and I haven't seen any weird issues.
Oh no, I meant using HDMI as a troubleshooting step to prove it's DP related. Nobody wants HDMI for PC gaming!

simplify.

disconnect all other monitors, disable onboard video, lower the resolution/hz/color depth.
no video?
try other cables.
still no video?
try your other monitors.
still no video?
try other gpu video-out ports.
still no video?

keep testing, but at least you know the problem most likely isnt the monitors/cables.

ps gsync/freesync works over hdmi, unless your monitor doesnt support it. hdmi 2.1 supports 240hz @ 1440p.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It will be because the iGPU is enabled, it should be disabled in the bios.
Incorrect. The iGPU is always set as the backup option for booting unless you explicitly tell it to boot from that first. Even then if the mobo doesn't detect a cable attached to the iGPU, it will default to the main GPU.

I have seen some argue that keeping the iGPU on takes resources from WIndows due to having to share system memory. But I have yet to see a compelling benchmarks showing that disabling the iGPU will result in better performance.

GHG

Most likely a DP issue.

Test with Hdmi, repeatedly, and see how you get on.

I had a similar issue with my Zotac 4090 when I first got it all set up because I was testing/benchmarking with my M14T monitor before I cleaned the cabling up and moved it back to it's permanent place.

About 2/3 boots would result in no signal but when it did boot everything was perfect. Since I've hooked it back up to the LG CX via Hdmi I've had zero issues other than nothing displaying between bios and the windows login screen intermittently.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
simplify.

disconnect all other monitors, disable onboard video, lower the resolution/hz/color depth.
no video?
try other cables.
still no video?
try your other monitors.
still no video?
try other gpu video-out ports.
still no video?

keep testing, but at least you know the problem most likely isnt the monitors/cables.

ps gsync/freesync works over hdmi, unless your monitor doesnt support it. hdmi 2.1 supports 240hz @ 1440p.
The issue has stopped happening. WHen I press the power button from a cold boot I no longer have that happen. Strange but true. I always press the smart button on the Samsung remote (yes, the 65B comes with a remote. VERY handy) so that the monitor is awake before I press the power button. Every time I do that, I get a normal boot. No issues. I can live with that as I think this is just one of things where Samsung monitors are fluky, but I do have one theory as to why that may be happening.

Here is my theory as to what was going wrong:

The short version: Samsung and nvidia GPUs have handshake issues. Hardware Unboxed mention that nvidia GPUs are far more notorious for issues with monitors not waking up than AMD. I only learned that recently

Case in point:
If my Samsung monitor goes to sleep for any reason, which it often does since I am toggling between my desktop and my couch set up where I game off my C1 OLED, the Samsung monitor won't always wake up when I return to desktop view (my Gigabyte M27Q and the Samsung). In order to get a screen on the Samsung, I have to restart the GPU drivers (Win+Ctrl+Shift+B a VERY handy tool) and it will usually turn on. During the dark screen, Windows will clearly think the Samsung is on as I can move my mouse off the screen of my M27Q, which I must mention has NONE of these issues. It will never give me a black screen. Very reliable.

In short all of this points to the Samsung just not being quite up to par with the QC.

If there was another brand out there that offered a 240Hz 1440p VA panel that had the godlike pixel response time (seriously this rivals a TN panel) as this Samsung, I would ditch it in a hurry.

It's a crime that more manufacturers haven't done more to improve the pixel response times of VA panels like Samsung has. The contrast and slightly deeper blacks make all the difference for me.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Sometimes certain video cards care which order monitors are plugged into, but you probably already tried using the other displayports in a different order.

Reallink

Are you by chance running HDR on any of the monitors (presumably the C1)? Might be worth trying turning it off on everything, seems to lead to a lot of glitches.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Sometimes certain video cards care which order monitors are plugged into, but you probably already tried using the other displayports in a different order.
Doesn't matter which port the Samsung or the M27Q is plugged into. They will do what they do.

I've had about 10 boots without there being an issue. I'm, still frustrated because I could never get to the bottom of it, but I have to chalk it up to my Samsung being just fluky.

Ironbunny

This seems to be an issue even on some samsung monitors. Especially paired with 4090. I had similiar issue with samsung g8 oled monitor but latest firmware has fixed this.

Well...it would appear that the culprit was a bad DP cable. I did read on one forum that a bad DP cable can cause a bad signal that to the GPU which can inhibit the ability to initialize.

I bought a monoprice DP 2.0 cable and, for the moment, it's no longer doing it and has had two successful cold boots. I am thinking this was more a monitor issue than a GPU issue since my Gigabyte M27Q never had screen issues.

I will see if things continue to happen.

I'm certainly using the first slot.
Get a Club 3D cable, those things are quality!

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

The issue has stopped happening. WHen I press the power button from a cold boot I no longer have that happen. Strange but true. I always press the smart button on the Samsung remote (yes, the 65B comes with a remote. VERY handy) so that the monitor is awake before I press the power button. Every time I do that, I get a normal boot. No issues. I can live with that as I think this is just one of things where Samsung monitors are fluky, but I do have one theory as to why that may be happening.

Here is my theory as to what was going wrong:

The short version: Samsung and nvidia GPUs have handshake issues. Hardware Unboxed mention that nvidia GPUs are far more notorious for issues with monitors not waking up than AMD. I only learned that recently

Case in point:
If my Samsung monitor goes to sleep for any reason, which it often does since I am toggling between my desktop and my couch set up where I game off my C1 OLED, the Samsung monitor won't always wake up when I return to desktop view (my Gigabyte M27Q and the Samsung). In order to get a screen on the Samsung, I have to restart the GPU drivers (Win+Ctrl+Shift+B a VERY handy tool) and it will usually turn on. During the dark screen, Windows will clearly think the Samsung is on as I can move my mouse off the screen of my M27Q, which I must mention has NONE of these issues. It will never give me a black screen. Very reliable.

In short all of this points to the Samsung just not being quite up to par with the QC.

If there was another brand out there that offered a 240Hz 1440p VA panel that had the godlike pixel response time (seriously this rivals a TN panel) as this Samsung, I would ditch it in a hurry.

It's a crime that more manufacturers haven't done more to improve the pixel response times of VA panels like Samsung has. The contrast and slightly deeper blacks make all the difference for me.
Yup, had the same issue when I had both my QLED and Neo G9 hooked up, often the monitor wouldn't give picture when waking up. Fixed it by just pulling the HDMI out till I actually want to PC game on the QLED.

Last edited:
If you disable the iGPU in the BIOS when the monitor is asleep it won't stop the GPU from initialising at boot, as it is the GPU isn't seeing a handshake from the monitor and is falling back to the iGPU because of the monitors power saving.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Yup, had the same issue when I had both my QLED and Neo G9 hooked up, often the monitor wouldn't give picture when waking up. Fixed it by just pulling the HDMI out till I actually want to PC game on the QLED.
The issue seems to be gone. To avoid it completely, before I boot the computer I press the smart button on my remote and then power the PC. Everything boots as normal then.

If BenQ, Sony or Asus produced a VA panel with these features and pixel response times, I'd happily ditch this Samsung. There still is the scanline issue that I can largely ignore.

BTW, do you understand the VRR Control setting in the menu? I would assume your monitors have this box. There doesn't seem to be a consensus on whether to keep it enabled or disabled.

Before anyone responds who doesn't have a recent Samsung monitor it is NOT the same as enabling or disabling VRR. There is a separate feature in the Game Menu that enables or disables VRR.

Last edited:

Jrecard

I get this sometimes too on my Samsung monitor and 4090, thought my card was crapping out when I first saw it but it's 1000% reliable once I do boot with a display. I might get a mini hdmi cable one day (whoever at samsung decided to move to mini cables on a gaming monitor needs a slap) to see if it fixes it.

Top Bottom