• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Gaf, I need some help with my PC

Kurotri

Don't know if it's more appropiate here or the gaming forum.

I have a very peculiar problem that's making me go insane. This is a newly built PC, I've had it for about 10 days now. It was fine in the beginning, but after 2 or 3 days, the horrors started: I'm not getting a signal on my monitor.
The monitor stays black, after a while it's telling me that it's not receiving a signal and then just turns off. The monitor isn't the issue. I tried it with another monitor, I also tried different cables and ports, HDMI and Displayport. Cables aren't the issue either.

The PC starts up, fans are spinning, lights all get turned on, even my keyboard and mouse are getting power. I have a bluetooth adapter that's inserted into one of my USB ports, in order to use my bluetooth headphones. Even my headphones realize that something has powered up and it just...connects. I even hear the connection confirmation sound. The fuck? So why is the monitor not receiving signal?

The kicker is that I have to manually restart the PC multiple times, and then it'll work at some point. Sometimes it takes 2 restarts, sometimes 3, sometimes 6 like today.

Things I've tried:
- Remove RAM sticks and put them back in
- Make sure that the GPU is firmly connected, same with all the pins
- Turn off fast boot in Win 11, turn on fast boot in BIOS
- Reset CMOS battery
- Make sure the primary display in BIOS is my GPU
- Remove all USB connections and power cable of monitor before booting
- Let the PC discharge and then try to boot after

Nothing is working. How does it sound to you? Is something just broken? Is it my PSU? GPU?

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Seems like a GPU issue. If your PC has IGPU, remove the dedicated one and try it with the integrated one. Return with results.

Last edited:
Does the mobo have onboard graphics? Make sure you have the latest drivers for your GPU. Swap out cables just in case, etc.

T4keD0wN

Since you think monitor isnt the issue i would start looking on the software side.
Checking the monitors input settings via its OSD before it turns off might be worth it. Could be as simple as auto input setting not working correctly.
Check appropriate Plug N play, input/output or legacy settings in BIOS.
Check windows/nvcp/device manager settings with the second monitor plugged in to see if its detected and reinstall the generic pnp driver or use the vendors own.

Last edited:

Kurotri

Seems like a GPU issue. If your PC has IGPU, remove the dedicated one and try it with the integrated one. Return with results.
Does the mobo have onboard graphics? Make sure you have the latest drivers for your GPU. Swap out cables just in case, etc.
My motherboard doesn't have onboard graphics, sorry for not posting the detailed specs. The GPU also has the newest drivers.
I would like to add, this phenomenon only occurs when I have my PC turned off for several hours. Say I turn it off in the night, sleep, go to work, come back, there's like give or take 15 hours inbetween me turning it off and on again. If I were to turn it off right now and back on, it works.
The specs that I should have mentioned:

ASRock B760M PRO RS/D5 MATX Intel DDR5 S1700
12GB Sapphire Radeon RX 6700 XT Pulse Aktiv PCIe 4.0 x16 1xHDMI
Intel Core i5 12400F 6x 2.50GHz So.1700 BO
32GB (2x 16GB) G.Skill Ripjaws S5 DDR5-6000 DIMM CL32-38-38-96 Dual Kit
1TB Kingston KC3000 M.2 PCIe 4.0 x4 3D-NAND TLC (SKC3000S/1024G)

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
My motherboard doesn't have onboard graphics, sorry for not posting the detailed specs. The GPU also has the newest drivers.
I would like to add, this phenomenon only occurs when I have my PC turned off for several hours. Say I turn it off in the night, sleep, go to work, come back, there's like give or take 15 hours inbetween me turning it off and on again. If I were to turn it off right now and back on, it works.
The specs that I should have mentioned:

ASRock B760M PRO RS/D5 MATX Intel DDR5 S1700
12GB Sapphire Radeon RX 6700 XT Pulse Aktiv PCIe 4.0 x16 1xHDMI
Intel Core i5 12400F 6x 2.50GHz So.1700 BO
32GB (2x 16GB) G.Skill Ripjaws S5 DDR5-6000 DIMM CL32-38-38-96 Dual Kit
1TB Kingston KC3000 M.2 PCIe 4.0 x4 3D-NAND TLC (SKC3000S/1024G)

Just to understand, this is your MOBO? - https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B760M Pro RSD4/index.asp

Here it shows that it does have onboard video? Why do you say it doesnt have onboard graphics?

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I would try to use a different video port. Also make sure your monitor is good. Plug it into a new source.

Kurotri

Just to understand, this is your MOBO? - https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B760M Pro RSD4/index.asp

Here it shows that it does have onboard video? Why do you say it doesnt have onboard graphics?
When I first started my PC for the first time I wrongfully put the cable in the HDMI port of the motherboard, which didn't give me signal. Putting the cable into the HDMI port of the GPU solved it. Also in the BIOS there's no iGPU option, and its name is RS/D5 apparently(not D4) but I can't find that mobo on Asrock's site.

Kurotri

I would try to use a different video port. Also make sure your monitor is good. Plug it into a new source.
Did that, I connected it from the HDMI source and then through the Displayport source to my monitor and to my OLED TV. Everytime I come home it's the same game, turn it off and on multiple times until the signal appears.. :messenger_loudly_crying:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
When I first started my PC for the first time I wrongfully put the cable in the HDMI port of the motherboard, which didn't give me signal. Putting the cable into the HDMI port of the GPU solved it. Also in the BIOS there's no iGPU option, and its name is RS/D5 apparently(not D4) but I can't find that mobo on Asrock's site.

Are you 100% certain its not the cables? Can you test them with other devices? Whats your PSU model? Also if your mobo has an HDMI port then it must have an igpu.

Kurotri

Are you 100% certain its not the cables? Can you test them with other devices? Whats your PSU model?
I'm 100 % sure, I even bought a completely new one and inserted it into my OLED. My PSU is a 550 Watt be quiet! Pure Power 12 M Modular 80+ Gold.
Also if your mobo has an HDMI port then it must have an igpu.
I'm not too knowledgable of these things, why is it not showing anything if I plug in a cable then?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
the Intel Core i5 12400F doesn’t have an Igpu so doesn’t matter if the mb has an hdmi.

Last time I had a major issue turned out to be a bad windows install. Any chance try booting it with a usb stick with windows installer on it?

Kurotri

the Intel Core i5 12400F doesn’t have an Igpu so doesn’t matter if the mb has an hdmi.

Last time I had a major issue turned out to be a bad windows install. Any chance try booting it with a usb stick with windows installer on it?
I'll have to try, I installed Win 11 the same way when I first unwrapped the PC. Though I'm not sure that'll help, the fact that it only happens after it's turned off for several hours makes me think it's hardware related..

Mistake

Boot from usb a fresh install of windows or linux and let it sit. You'll know better if it's driver related.

I'll have to try, I installed Win 11 the same way when I first unwrapped the PC. Though I'm not sure that'll help, the fact that it only happens after it's turned off for several hours makes me think it's hardware related..
Possibly. I've had computers that worked better once the shitty connections got hot

Warnen

I had similar issue with my 4090 build, swapped out everything but the ssd I had windows on and gpu (mb, cpu, psu, ram all swapped). After days I was like fuck it and did a clean install from a boot usb drive and fixed everything. You are probably right, but was pulling out my hair and that’s what fixed my shit.

Kurotri

Boot from usb a fresh install of windows or linux and let it sit. You'll know better if it's driver related.

Possibly. I've had computers that worked better once the shitty connections got hot
I had similar issue with my 4090 build, swapped out everything but the ssd I had windows on and gpu (mb, cpu, psu, ram all swapped). After days I was like fuck it and did a clean install from a boot usb drive and fixed everything. You are probably right, but was pulling out my hair and that’s what fixed my shit.
Alright, guess I'll try that then. Sometimes the solutions are supposed to simple after all.
Another question though: I'm not too knowledgable about PCs, but can any of this damage my other components? Say the problem turns out to be a weird faulty PSU, does this mean that over time my MOBO and stuff get damaged as well? I would really hate that...

Psy-Phi

I'm 100 % sure, I even bought a completely new one and inserted it into my OLED. My PSU is a 550 Watt be quiet! Pure Power 12 M Modular 80+ Gold.

I'm not too knowledgable of these things, why is it not showing anything if I plug in a cable then?
You don’t have a built in GPU. It’s not from the Mobo, but from the CPU, and you a have an F model intel. That means it doesn’t have a built in GPU, and requires a video card. So don’t worry about no display from the mobo video connection.

The fact that your PSU is modular may be important, I was curious until I read this reply. It may be that your GPU/VGA connection is in the wrong port on the modular PSU? But I think it’s more likely that your PSU is underpowered.

You mentioned your Bluetooth connects? Which means windows is loading. And multiple reboots will get it going. Either there’s a capacitor that literally needs to be warmed up, after being off for prolonged periods (which means it should be replaced) or a charge is building up through all the boots and finally working at its least likely state.

If you can, I know it’s a friggin hassle, but get another PSU?

Your processor at load can take about 225W according to New Egg. The GPU can take 300W. The rest of your hardware? Fans? Etc… that’s approaching your 550 easily.

My immediate advice is: Try disconnecting your case fans, any RGB, anything extraneous. Just temporarily, to see if it will boot.

But if you can, get a 750W PSU and give that a shot.

Last edited:

Warnen

Alright, guess I'll try that then. Sometimes the solutions are supposed to simple after all.
Another question though: I'm not too knowledgable about PCs, but can any of this damage my other components? Say the problem turns out to be a weird faulty PSU, does this mean that over time my MOBO and stuff get damaged as well? I would really hate that...

MB will usually cut out and not let a bad psu hurt stuff. That said could always jump points on a mb and fuck shit up, but that’s more likely user error then a bad psu.

Kurotri

You don’t have a built in GPU. It’s not from the Mobo, but from the CPU, and you a have an F model intel. That means it doesn’t have a built in GPU, and requires a video card. So don’t worry about no display from the mobo video connection.

The fact that your PSU is modular may be important, I was curious until I read this reply. It may be that your GPU/VGA connection is in the wrong port on the modular PSU? But I think it’s more likely that your PSU is underpowered.

You mentioned your Bluetooth connects? Which means windows is loading. And multiple reboots will get it going. Either there’s a capacitor that literally needs to be warmed up, after being off for prolonged periods (which means it should be replaced) or a charge is building up through all the boots and finally working at its least likely state.

If you can, I know it’s a friggin hassle, but get another PSU?

Your processor at load can take about 225W according to New Egg. The GPU can take 300W. The rest of your hardware? Fans? Etc… that’s approaching your 550 easily.

My immediate advice is: Try disconnecting your case fans, any RGB, anything extraneous. Just temporarily, to see if it will boot.

But if you can, get a 750W PSU and give that a shot.
That sounds good, will try. It makes sense since once it's "warmed up", there's 0 problems. It's just..not ideal to have, I guess. Unforunately, will have to wait until tomorrow, when its cooled down again. Oh and while there's some RGB stuff in there, I did turn it off in the BIOS settings since I don't like that stuff.
MB will usually cut out and not let a bad psu hurt stuff. That said could always jump points on a mb and fuck shit up, but that’s more likely user error then a bad psu.
Alright, thanks.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Update your BIOS and then boot your PC with the BIOS set to its default settings.

If your monitor has multiple video inputs (HDMI and DP), try both of them with your PC.

Last edited:

Kurotri

It could be that your bios has problems with your DDR5 memory modules and you're experiencing memory retraining failures. Update your BIOS and then boot your PC with the BIOS set to its default settings.
BIOS is updated to newest version already, but I did change tiny things here and there (like turning off RGB). I will try that as well, thanks for the suggestion.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member

I missed the F from your CPU but everyone else already mentioned it so yeah.

My PSU is a 550 Watt be quiet! Pure Power 12 M Modular 80+ Gold.

This is prolly the issue. If you're still in the return window, return it, get at least a 750 or more if you have the money just to be future proof that is. You did say, everything else works, fans, rgb, do you also hear sound?

edit: ah you already mentioned you hear the confirmation sound. did you try safe mode? or is the bios the only thing you can see?

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
At 550 watt you could be underpowering your rig. If your GPU won't even display the bios, I'd say this is more likely than not a PSU issue, but a thorough troubleshoot is required before assuming that. If you've already checked and ensured your components are installed correctly and are using the cables that came with your components. I'd double check see it's getting enough power through the mains, are you using extension leads? Try pluging your PSU directly to the wall outlet rather than through an extension lead. You could try using different expansion slot for the card it has 5.0 and 4.0 try plugging into 4.0, but I doubt that would help.

Kurotri

I missed the F from your CPU but everyone else already mentioned it so yeah.

This is prolly the issue. If you're still in the return window, return it, get at least a 750 or more if you have the money just to be future proof that is. You did say, everything else works, fans, rgb, do you also hear sound?
Yeah all of that works, it's just nothing is getting displayed on the first start up.
At 550 watt you could be underpowering your rig. If your GPU won't even display the bios, I'd say this is more likely than not a PSU issue, but a thorough troubleshoot is required before assuming that. If you've already checked and ensured your components are installed correctly and are using the cables that came with your components. I'd double check see it's getting enough power through the mains, are you using extension leads? Try pluging your PSU directly to the wall outlet rather than through an extension lead. You could try using different expansion slot for the card it has 5.0 and 4.0 try plugging into 4.0, but I doubt that would help.
I'll have to try plugging it into the wall, though the extension lead is pretty close to the wall anyway. Question though, if I'm underpowering my rig and 550 isn't enough, why does it work after several more times? I can't make sense of it.

near

Gold Member
Yeah all of that works, it's just nothing is getting displayed on the first start up.

I'll have to try plugging it into the wall, though the extension lead is pretty close to the wall anyway. Question though, if I'm underpowering my rig and 550 isn't enough, why does it work after several more times? I can't make sense of it.
I don't know the technicalities of it, but it has something to do with load and conversion efficiency. Which is why it will work and not work at the same time, that is if this is due to your PSU not being high enough. Plugging directly into mains might help for the time being if your extension cord is unable to carry the input current well.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Question though, if I'm underpowering my rig and 550 isn't enough, why does it work after several more times? I can't make sense of it.

The more you use it the more wattage it requires especially when gaming. Even if its a windows issue a 6700XT usually requires the minimum of a 650W. Obviously average gaming will rarely reach that much and I've seen lots of people with weak PSU's run high-end gpus BUT nothing is made equal. I'd still recommend getting a better PSU, it's pretty much the life of your PC. I'd say its the most important thing and a lot of people make the mistake of ignoring it and buying crap.

Last edited:

Kurotri

I don't know the technicalities of it, but it has something to do with load and conversion efficiency. Which is why it will work and not work at the same time, that is if this is due to your PSU not being high enough. Plugging directly into mains might help for the time being if your extension cord is unable to carry the input current well.
The more you use it the more wattage it requires especially when gaming. Even if its a windows issue a 6700XT usually requires the minimum of a 650W. Obviously average gaming will rarely reach that much and I've seen lots of people with weak PSU's run high-end gpus BUT nothing is made equal. I'd still recommend getting a better PSU, it's pretty much the life of your PC. I'd say its the most important thing and a lot of people make the mistake of ignoring it and buying crap.
I see, thanks for the help. I'll try plugging it directly into the wall to see if that works, but otherwise I'll just look for a different PSU.

I had this problem last time. It turned out that my ram wasn't seated correctly. Have you tried swapping ram around? If it worked like you said it did at first, maybe the ram got loose or a stick went bad. Just my guess.

I had to lay the pc on its back and put the ram in that way. I thought it was in, but it wasn't.

Last edited:

Kurotri

I had this problem last time. It turned out that my ram wasn't seated correctly. Have you tried swapping ram around? If it worked like you said it did at first, maybe the ram got loose or a stick went bad. Just my guess.

I had to lay the pc on its back and put the ram in that way. I thought it was in, but it wasn't.
Both are in firmly, wish it was that easy :D.

Top Bottom