• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Amazing ZombiU trailer

Effect

Have they said if the game will use the Wii Classic Controller Pro? I know Black Ops 2 can use it in addition to the new Wii U Pro controller and Wiimote/nunchuck.

D-e-f-

Banned
Should have told you this earlier, that was an awesome post D-e-f.

I thought the game would use Miiverse, what will Uplay add to this?

super exclusive unlockable wallpapers and you can carry 2.5 more bullets and move 0.00034 times faster if you complete certain achievements :p

uPlay integration is pretty much negligible in games that've come out (started with Asassin's Creed II). it won't do anything particularly cool aside from letting you look at what you did on the uPlay website.

PS: thanks. :) ... but you should also thank Double Satoru for their wonderful introduction :D

Have they said if the game will use the Wii Classic Controller Pro? I know Black Ops 2 can use it in addition to the new Wii U Pro controller and Wiimote/nunchuck.

No, so far only the pro controller is confirmed for multiplayer use.

raven777

I never understood hype for this game. Watched the trailer and I don't see anything that special. It is using WiiU's gamepad somewhat well, but thats about it. The game looks horrible visually, and it doesn't seem that all fun

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

Campaign? No, the Gamerpad is vital for the single-player game.

Multiplayer? Uses the Gamerpad and WiiU Pro controller (no word on if you can substitute the pro with Wiimote/nunchuck or any other Wii accessories).

D-e-f-

Banned
I never understood hype for this game. Watched the trailer and I don't see anything that special. It is using WiiU's gamepad somewhat well, but thats about it. The game looks horrible visually, and it doesn't seem that all fun

There's the problem. It's not a "trailer = whoaaaaaaaaa!!!" type of game. In short, it's pretty much like Dark Souls but as a first person shooter with zombies.

If you want a more detailed explanation, let me know. Or just watch the walkthrough posted on the previous page.

I think a lot of us are just excited over a possible return to true survival horror, and the Demon's Souls-eque perma death features along with the unique game pad integration make for a seemingly compelling experience.

Zarovitch

For me it's the survival thing that make me want this game. Being always in real time when you need to take loot from corpse seem to add tension. Losing your character will add tension too and reaching high level will make you scare to loose him.

This will be the complete opposite to Bioshock where you can rush, die and respawn without taking care of your character.

That actually looked pretty good. I really like using the Wii-U screen for upgrades and inventory stuff. Very cool. I absolutely hate holding the tablet up against the tv though. That looks so unnecessary and awkward.

This game looks awesome guys.

I do hope it has a lot of secrets and different routes/bosses as Dark Souls.

Was there a interview or something where the developer said they were trying to do a Zombie Dark Souls or are you guys just making this a pipe dream?

Hoo-doo

Banned
Was there a interview or something where the developer said they were trying to do a Zombie Dark Souls or are you guys just making this a pipe dream?

It uses a similar kind of messaging system as is found in Demon's/Dark Souls.
That's where the similarities stop.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
That actually looked pretty good. I really like using the Wii-U screen for upgrades and inventory stuff. Very cool. I absolutely hate holding the tablet up against the tv though. That looks so unnecessary and awkward.

The producer of the game said that DS is her favorite game, and the team obviously was inspired by it.

The producer of the game said that DS is her favorite game, and the team obviously was inspired by it.

It uses a similar kind of messaging system as is found in Demon's/Dark Souls.
That's where the similarities stop.

Okay so people are just driving themselves into a frenzy over launch day software. Thats cool I remember doing the same thing with The Summoner....Shudder.
Still game looks way better than I thought it would.

Riddler

After seeing d-e-f post I am confident that this is the AAA game for me at U.S. launch. I hope it's punishing and rewarding as the Souls games.

/hyped

jerd

After seeing d-e-f post I am confident that this is the AAA game for me at U.S. launch. I hope it's punishing and rewarding as the Souls games.

/hyped

I hope it is very difficult. The New Game+ also sounds really cool. If I remember correctly you only get one survivor to complete the entire game.

Teknoman

The trailer seemed like one of those CG mimicking gameplay style trailers to me. The actual in game footage from E3 seemed much better.

Hoo-doo

Banned
And when you die, you start over

You don't start over in Dark Souls, you just drop your souls on the spot. Your character does not lose progress.
If anything it's the most permanent and consistent game I have ever played because it saves constantly and every decision is 100% permanent.

Skiesofwonder

Also the game was pretty hard to stay alive a long time when I played it, which has a lot to do with lack of ammo and being unforgiven for any mistakes you make.

And when you die, you start over

So if you die you respawn as someone new that has to make it back to your body to retrieve your equipment and the game is a open world that you have to traverse a good distance to get to where you were if you die. That is very cool.

You don't start over in Dark Souls, you just drop your souls on the spot. Your character does not lose progress.
If anything it's the most permanent and consistent game I have ever played because it saves constantly and every decision is 100% permanent.

Hoo-Doo you have played it?

boiled goose

good with gravy
ZombiU integrates the GamePad far, far too heavily into the core design philosophy to offer a pointer option. I'm torn on the matter. I loathe dual analogue and find pointer controls to far more precisely emulate the feeling of a mouse and better connect a first person weapon to the act of aiming with your hand. But a significant portion of ZombiU's appeal is the GamePad usage, and it wouldn't be possible with pointer aiming.

Yeah,

I feel the same way.
I wonder how cumbersome it would be to have to pickup up the pad every once in a while.

D-e-f-

Banned

For one, you can see that clearly from the systems they're integrating and then, yes, in one of the E3 interviews or walkthroughs Gabrielle Shrager (?) flat out confirmed that a) she loves Dark Souls like crazy and b) this has influenced the game a lot (which, as I said, you can clearly see in the "(live)-corpse-run"/roguelike mechanics and type of online integration.

So if you die you respawn as someone new that has to make it back to your body to retrieve your equipment and the game is a open world that you have to traverse a good distance to get to where you were if you die. That is very cool.

The game is not open-world! They have made that clear. There will be wide open areas, though, but it's not a big open world. You can see the map on one of the screens I posted.

I remember reading that they took inspiration from Dark Souls as far as general atmosphere and "life actually being important". Never read the source directly though, if it even existed.

Edit: taken care of above.

jmizzal

It should I remember the old Killer Freaks was demo'd with CCpro, I see no reason why they would not keep that in ZombiU and force people to buy the pro controller for multiplayer. Tho it may also have Wiimote controls.

Small screen gun turret and sniper rifle usage is awful. Map, inventory, and such that benefits from a touch screen, great, but I hope the Wii U's controller screen doesn't routinely get used for things that should be on the big screen. Reminds me of DS touch screen "buttons" being used when there were still buttons free on the DS. Stop using it just because it's there.

For one, you can see that clearly from the systems they're integrating and then, yes, in one of the E3 interviews or walkthroughs Gabrielle Shrager (?) flat out confirmed that a) she loves Dark Souls like crazy and b) this has influenced the game a lot (which, as I said, you can clearly see in the "(live)-corpse-run"/roguelike mechanics and type of online integration.

The game is not open-world! They have made that clear. There will be wide open areas, though, but it's not a big open world. You can see the map on one of the screens I posted.

Its not open world?...So the only things making it like a soul game is dying and having to get back to your body without dying to retrieve it. Is that correct? If its not open world is it level based or something? Do you respawn at a checkpoint? The whole thing that make DS so tension filled is the distance your traveling and how connected everything is.

Small screen gun turret and sniper rifle usage is awful. Map, inventory, and such that benefits from a touch screen, great, but I hope the Wii U's controller screen doesn't routinely get used for things that should be on the big screen. Reminds me of DS touch screen "buttons" being used when there were still buttons free on the DS. Stop using it just because it's there.

Yeah that is the only tablet stuff shown that bothered me. Seems utterly pointless.

Skiesofwonder

Well, there are certain points that you can access through the sewers. So, for instance, my character died after I grabbed the medicine needed from the nursery and was trying to escape. My next character is spawned at the hub area, and then I can either travel to the nursery on foot, or either access the sewers to automatically spawn to a pothole at the beginning of the nursery, which I have to travel through again and find my former (now zombified) character and kill him/her to get access to bag that holds all the items I have collected so far.

Any skills or attributes you gain with your character is tied to said character, and will not carry over to your next character after dying.

Effect

Campaign? No, the Gamerpad is vital for the single-player game.

Multiplayer? Uses the Gamerpad and WiiU Pro controller (no word on if you can substitute the pro with Wiimote/nunchuck or any other Wii accessories).

Yeah I mean for multiplayer not the campaign. Just trying to figure out if I can get away with not buying a Wii U pro controller at launch.

jerd

Its not open world?...So the only things making it like a soul game is dying and having to get back to your body without dying to retrieve it. Is that correct? If its not open world is it level based or something? Do you respawn at a checkpoint? The whole thing that make DS so tension filled is the distance your traveling and how connected everything is.

Maybe not traditionally open-world, but that screenshot leads me to believe you can pretty much go wherever you want. Basically it is all fast travel?

From what I gather it is not level based. You have your hub world, and use the sewers to travel to different locations around the city.

Well, there are certain points that you can access through the sewers. So, for instance, my character died after I grabbed the medicine needed from the nursery and was trying to escape. My next character is spawned at the hub area, and then I can either travel to the nursery on foot, or either access the sewers to automatically spawn to a pothole at the beginning of the nursery, which I have to travel through again and find my former (now zombified) character and kill him/her to get access to bag that holds all the items I have collected so far.

Any skills or attributes you gain with your character is tied to said character, and will not carry over to your next character after dying.

Really that is awesome! I did not know that.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Its not open world...So the only things making it like a soul game is dying and having to get back to your body without dying to retrieve it. Is that correct? If its not open world is it level based or something? Do you respawn at a checkpoint? The whole thing that make DS so tension filled is the distance your traveling sometimes and how connected everything is.

People desperately want this game to be the next "GAF darling" by connecting it to Dark Souls every two sentences when it only really borrows a few mechanics that are loosely related to the Souls series.
Still, they are great mechanics and could potentially work really well in this setting so I applaud Ubisoft for it, but it's very disingenuous to call this game "dark-souls-esque" in any way, shape or form.

I'm pretty sure I have posted this before. :D

BruceLeeroy said:

I was talking about Dark Souls, not ZombiU :)

People desperately want this game to be the next "GAF darling" by connecting it to Dark Souls every two sentences when it only really borrows a few mechanics that are loosely related to the Souls series.
Still, they are great mechanics and could potentially work really well in this setting so I applaud Ubisoft for it, but it's very disingenuous to call this game "dark-souls-esque" in any way, shape or form.

I was talking about Dark Souls, not ZombiU :)

Thanks for the clarification. People are letting the hype get to them, I am pretty sure a couple guys above think this is literally DS swapped out with zombies. Still the mechanics mentioned though sound really great.

Skiesofwonder

Really that is awesome! I did not know that.

Yep.

I don't know exactly how this works, but it looks like your previous character will also pop up in your friend's ZombiU campaign game, and can be killed (before you get to him/her). I'm given the impression that your friend can then take all your stuff, and you are shit out of luck, because all of your previous collected ammo, guns, and story-related items (?) have been stolen, and whatever they took you have to go and find again.

I could be mistaken on this though (went on a semi-blackout since my playtime), so maybe D-e-f can explain this better.

eXistor

It doesn't look to be open world as in, say, Skyrim, but they very much suggest that all levels are interconnected as is also supported by the world map.

Skiesofwonder

Well there really isn't any better comparison I can think of when talking about the loot, death, and messaging system, but yes they are very different games in many ways.

I think people are grabbing a hold of the "GAF darling" angle though because it's a return to the survival horror genre (not Dead Space 3 or RE6) and most hands-on impressions have been very positive. For me, playing the demo was enough to convince me that ZombiU not only has the opportunity to be a great Zombie game, but also a great survival horror game in general.

eXistor said:
It doesn't look to be open world as in, say, Skyrim, but they very much suggest that all levels are interconnected as is also supported by the world map.

This is the impression that I got.

Well there really isn't any better comparison I can think of when talking about the loot, death, and messaging system, but yes they are very different games in many ways.

I think people are grabbing a hold of the "GAF darling" angle though because it's a return to the survival horror genre (not Dead Space 3 or RE6) and most hands-on impressions have been very positive. For me, playing the demo was enough to convince me that ZombiU not only has the opportunity to be a great Zombie game, but also a great survival horror game in general.

This is the impression that I got.

If this ends up being true and the game is really a return to classic survival horror I might have to pick up a Wii-U earlier than I wanted just to make sure this is supported. I miss good survival horror soooo much.

ElRenoRaven

You know I'll tell you why it sold me a WII U along with NSMB. Now I've been very hard on Ubisoft through the years. I know the game will probably have plenty of bugs and not be that impressive graphically. However keep in mind I am not a huge PC gamer. So for me as a primarily console gamer it's something unique. I like that you don't just reload after you die. In fact it has a lot of ideas that I've always pictured in my ultimate zombie game I've pictured in my head. I've always wanted a game where you have the one life and are plopped into a world that is dead now. This one while not completely open world at least somewhat tries to give you that feeling. I also like that you can't just pause it. I like that when you're rummaging through stuff the world is still active around you.

That's how this game sold me a WII U and why I'm excited about it. I really hope that someone will see the potential of it and maybe improve upon it in the future.

Boss Man

I can't believe people keep bringing up Demon's Souls/Dark Souls. What the hell? It's some FPS with zombies with 'Zombi' in the name lol. Is it just because it's dark and people really want it to be good? I mean it might be an incredible game for all I know, but nothing about this reminds me of Demon's Souls at all. I feel like if a game is good on its own merit then you don't have to pull something ambiguous like "Demon's Souls-esque" to talk about why it's good.

The only thing interesting about this game IMO is the application of the Gamepad, but I haven't played it so I have no idea if it's good or not.

Skiesofwonder

I can't believe people keep bringing up Demon's Souls/Dark Souls. What the hell? It's some FPS with zombies with 'Zombi' in the name lol. Is it just because it's dark and people really want it to be good? I mean it might be an incredible game for all I know, but nothing about this reminds me of Demon's Souls at all.

Like that has anything to do with anything. Sometimes I wonder if people actually think about what they are posting before hitting the submit button.

I'm sorry but that trailer reeks of the usual bullshit Ubisoft PR has been pumping out for a decade now.

Highly doctored and carefully edited. Don't you guys remember the Red Steel media before release?

Aiming with the pad (turrents, snipers) also looked really awkward.

Teknoman

I can't believe people keep bringing up Demon's Souls/Dark Souls. What the hell? It's some FPS with zombies with 'Zombi' in the name lol. Is it just because it's dark and people really want it to be good? I mean it might be an incredible game for all I know, but nothing about this reminds me of Demon's Souls at all. I feel like if a game is good on its own merit then you don't have to pull something ambiguous like "Demon's Souls-esque" to talk about why it's good.

The only thing interesting about this game IMO is the application of the Gamepad, but I haven't played it so I have no idea if it's good or not.

They are just saying its like Demon's / Dark because of the message and death mechanics, and the fact that its supposed to be unforgiving.

Dead in this game is almost as punishing as the Souls series, you die you lost your ammo, weapons and items in the same way you lost you souls. That's the similarity betweeen both games.

ironcreed

Banned
I can't believe people keep bringing up Demon's Souls/Dark Souls. What the hell? It's some FPS with zombies with 'Zombi' in the name lol. Is it just because it's dark and people really want it to be good? I mean it might be an incredible game for all I know, but nothing about this reminds me of Demon's Souls at all.

It has similar gameplay features that were obviously inspired by it. You know how you die in the Souls series and have to get back to your bloodstain in order to reclaim your souls? Here your character becomes a zombie when you die and still has all the items for survival you had in your inventory. You then spawn as a new survivor and have to find your old character and kill him/her in order to get your items back. You can also leave messages for other players as well, including ones that offer false information. Beyond that, you can also die very quickly and have to be on your toes while being surrounded and multitasking with the second screen.

Boss Man

Like that has anything to do with anything. Sometimes I wonder if people actually think about what they are posting before hitting the submit button.
You're right, but it's just kind of funny.

It has similar gameplay features that were obviously inspired by it. You know how you die in the Souls series and have to get back to your bloodstain in order to reclaim your souls? Here your character becomes a zombie when you die and still has all the items for survival you had in your inventory. You then spawn as a new survivor and have to find your old character and kill him/her in order to get your items back. You can also leave messages for other players as well, including ones that offer false information. Beyond that, you can also die very quickly and have to be on your toes while being surrounded and multitasking with the second screen.
Ah ok, it makes some sense now. Guess we will see if it does it as well as Demon's Souls did. I get the comparisons now, but I mean at the same time...there's a whole lot more to what makes those games great than those mechanics.

Skiesofwonder

You're right, but it's just kind of funny.

Zombi was Ubi-Soft's very first game actually.

Zombi_box.jpg

ZombiU is a spiritual successor.

Top Bottom