• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Assassin's Creed 2 Screens!

Raist

Banned
Yeha well AC1 looked very good in shots too. Now show me a gameplay video, let's see if they got rid of the tearing and pop in.

Decado said:
You got that far? Between the tedious training and the terrible opening I shelved it before the missions could get repetitive. The game was just flat out boring.

Me saying this may be somewhat surprising to some, but you missed out if you didn't at least check out Acre, and the countryside. I'm replaying it right now, and it seems more tolerable this time around.

iceatcs

Mr. Sam said:
They just had an advert for this on Channel 5 during the Da Vinci Code. No gameplay footage though.
Yeah me too, and I thought it is bit funny they show only PS3 logo at the end of the advert just like the first title.

Raist said:
Yeha well AC1 looked very good in shots too. Now show me a gameplay video, let's see if they got rid of the tearing and pop in.
Who are you kidding. AC has never looked anything less than amazing. The fact you had a lot of tearing and pop-in is just because you played the PS3 version. A shame yes, but there were good versions out there as well.

Mr. Durden said:
The fact you had a lot of tearing and pop-in is just because you played the PS3 version.

The 360 version has plenty of tearing. Not as bad as the Ps3 launch version (haven't played that version much after the patch), but it's definitely there.

Raist

Banned
Mr. Durden said:
Who are you kidding. AC has never looked anything less than amazing. The fact you had a lot of tearing and pop-in is just because you played the PS3 version. A shame yes, but there were good versions out there as well.

And? That's not an excuse. Besides, other versions had graphical flaws as well, just less pronounced that the PS3 one.

iceatcs

stuburns said:
It just means Sony is co-marketing.
Ah, Sony must be really like this series. Shame I will never play the first one since it don't have any subtitles. Deaf gamer means pointless.

StuBurns

Banned
iceatcs said:
Ah, Sony must be really like this series. Shame I will never play the first one since it don't have any subtitles. Deaf gamer means pointless.
Yeah, I remember reading that. Disgusting for major titles today not to have subtitles.

BeeDog

stuburns said:
Yeah, I remember reading that. Disgusting for major titles today not to have subtitles.

That has been an awful thing about Ubisoft for several of their big games, they truly should get with the times goddamnit.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
AltogetherAndrews said:
Me saying this may be somewhat surprising to some, but you missed out if you didn't at least check out Acre, and the countryside. I'm replaying it right now, and it seems more tolerable this time around.

Yeah, Acre is incredible. I replayed it not too long ago and picked up all the flags, and all of the Acre points just stood out the most. It has the most variety with climbing(the cathedral which always reminded me of the crackdown agency tower, the guard castle, the docks, etc) and was always the most visually appealing to me with the bluish tint.

Roxas

does anyone know why in the fuck they are advertising the game already on tv? I get the whole da Vinci connection...but really? It's 6 months away!

Kaako

Felium Defensor
As someone who liked the story/backstory in AC more than the actual game, let me just say that I cannot fucking wait for this! E3 will be o so nice.

ALaz502 said:
I liked the first game a lot. I dunno, I just "got" it.

I have faith that the dev team will improve heavily since they can focus on gameplay more than anything else now since the engine is set, most animations are set, etc.

I'm a big fan of the "previous fallen civilizations which had technology, then they deteriorated, people forgot the technology over time and believed that the few relics of technology which are left are magic" type of story. It hasn't been overdone yet and is actually plausible.

yea, the first game set the tone perfectly for a good story like that. Alot of people that played the game never took the time to do any of the conversations/lab stuff, which was the whole point of the story, really added focus.

Slavik81

op_ivy said:
is that what i suggested? oh, my avatar, how observant of you.

i detested the story and story telling in ac1. i dont think i'm alone in that.
What? Aside from the all too predictable 'actually you're the bad guy' ending, the story was fantastic. Most of the people you killed were interesting, and upon their deaths there was usally a moral discussion. It's easy enough to write off the first few as crazies, but you slowly come to realize that they can't all be insane.

Swimming and gliding would be fuck awesome.

Despite being a re0skinned version of the first game, I loved the first game and am going to buy this shit regardless.

Rekki-Maru said:
yea, the first game set the tone perfectly for a good story like that. Alot of people that played the game never took the time to do any of the conversations/lab stuff, which was the whole point of the story, really added focus.

Yeah, I don't think that many people "got" the story, or the significance of what was occuring in it half of the time. Granted, the only significant bits of story/lore were at the beginning, in the lab sections, and at the end. The actual assassinations and what was going on in the cities was really inconsequential to the story whatsoever.

Raist said:
And? That's not an excuse. Besides, other versions had graphical flaws as well, just less pronounced that the PS3 one.
What game doesn't have graphical flaws? Every single game has them. Of course, the PS3 version of Assassin's was kinda bad, sure, but the other versions didn't have any serious problems, none that most other games don't have. Since I've got both Assassin's and Uncharted I'm quite shocked at your hate, since Assassin's looks better than Uncharted, technically and artistically.

Atrus

Gold Member
Obvious bullshots in some of those screens in the op. At any rate, art direction was never a fault in the first AC, it's the gameplay that was the problem.

Any interview with the designers should be prefaced with questions about how many flags are we collecting, how many times they rehashed the same game/quest mechanic, and whether or not they actually included a narrative with a solid ending this time.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Ether_Snake said:
Ah this dates back to two weeks ago. Some good info there about the story, and some new art.

There's another one with Jade but I can't find it (it was some German site).
I think I found the German one as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez9mPOHFYDY

The person who put up the interview was nice enough to translate it:
Translation said:
Templar against assassins. At the end of the year the second part of Assassin's Creed comes into the market so the wait will be over. Jade Reymond the producer of the game tells us what the game will be like.
Jade Reymond:
I think the special thing about Assassin's Creed 1 was that you could explore a lot, go in every direction you want to. Further more we set a high value on the detailed representation of the historical era. We want to build on that and feature a whole new experience. We don't have to care about the technology anymore, we already have the graphics, we could concentrate our whole energy on the variety of the fun. We could find out how we make the best of the technology and really invest in the story. So we could make big blockbuster hollywood moments and a deep story that's really rooted into the whole experience. The second part of the action adventure game doesn't take place in middle age but in the renaissance.
Jade Reymond:
So the Assassin's Creed brand is all about certain moments in history. In the first part the gamers experience the time of the third crusade, it was an exciting time, it is the time in which history books first talk about professional Assassins. For Assassin's creed 2 we wanted a special era. For that the italian renaissance seemed perfect. At the time of the renaissance many things were defined in a new way: Art, science, the basic point of view of people and their whole moral conduct. The whole world changed. And we wanted the gamers to experience this era in a new way, in a few of the most beautiful places in Italy for example Venice, Florence and generally the Tuscany. We rebuild those places with many details on the computer so that every gamer gets the feeling of walking around in the cities of back then.
At the moment it is still worked really hard on the production of Assassin's creed 2 and on the main character Ezio Auditore De Firenze. More than 300 people are involved in the project.
The game will come into the market this winter for the PS3, XBox 360, the PSP and also for the computer.

Thanks to:
AltairEzio

Those images look really impressive! I enjoyed AC1 and with a little more gameplay polish, this game has the potential to be phenomenal.

Atrus

Gold Member
Guled said:
the first had a great story, so thats not what we should be worrying about

I think the story varies. It started good, became interesting, was then lost amid the repetitiveness of the game, was salvaged at the last battle, and then was flushed down the toilet in an insulting ending.

Raist

Banned
Mr. Durden said:
What game doesn't have graphical flaws? Every single game has them. Of course, the PS3 version of Assassin's was kinda bad, sure, but the other versions didn't have any serious problems, none that most other games don't have.

As I originally said, AC looked very good on screens, and its worse flaws (tearing and pop in) would obviously not show up on screens if they're in AC2 too. And I don't give a shit about other versions. Ubisoft made a PS3 version, and it was horrible. I don't even know how it passed QA.

Since I've got both Assassin's and Uncharted I'm quite shocked at your hate, since Assassin's looks better than Uncharted, technically and artistically.

:lol
Yeah, not even close.
Since you're taking this example, UC add some aliasing and tearing, but nowhere near AC. And let's not even mention pop in. AC had geometry AND shadow AND texture popin, like I've never seen in any other game. Not even in GTAIV.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
jett said:
Ah nice, confirmation of the PC version being released this year. Enjoy your inferior product, consoletards!

Nah, not confirmed.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
jett said:
From the mouth of Desillets:

"Assassins Creed 2 will be out on PS3, XBOX 360 and PC this holiday season"

Yeah, not confirmed. It's just some interview. Wait till a press release.

Loxley

Captain Pants said:
Mondoxbox has some new AC2 screens.

2a5b1h1.jpg

Very reminiscent of a Batman: Year One panel, awesomesauce.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
PLEASE add more varied gameplay, like a deeper sneaking mechanic that punishes you for jumping around rooftops instead of employing more stealth. I imagined this game as a Splinter Cell game set in the Middle Ages with Prince of Persia platforming elements mixed in. What we got failed to live up to either of those franchises, and was instead insanely repetitive

billy.sea

Banned
I don't know... the style looks very similar to AC1 to me. Maybe it's the color palette.
They should have gone with a much more different setting like ancient China or Japan.

JCtheMC

I'm sure it'll be a great looking game like the first one. I hope they can get the story together in such a way that they don't have to jump the shark half a dozen times. Also, everything about this game screams Batman in the Renaissance - including part of the storyline... Do want.

FFChris

billy.sea said:
I don't know... the style looks very similar to AC1 to me. Maybe it's the color palette.
They should have gone with a much more different setting like ancient China or Japan.

The colours look completely different to me. It looks blue as opposed to the white of AC.

China or Japan would be cool.

JonnyBrad

Roxas said:
does anyone know why in the fuck they are advertising the game already on tv? I get the whole da Vinci connection...but really? It's 6 months away!

Channel 5 in the UK tonight i assume? I saw it to.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Slavik81 said:
What? Aside from the all too predictable 'actually you're the bad guy' ending, the story was fantastic. Most of the people you killed were interesting, and upon their deaths there was usally a moral discussion. It's easy enough to write off the first few as crazies, but you slowly come to realize that they can't all be insane.

to be perfectly honest i hated the way the story telling was done so much that i tuned out most of the actual story. in the games defense, it may have been good, i just didnt care. so, at the very least, the game was a huge failure to me in that regard.

i still have no idea what all the futuristic scenes were about. every time they came up i got frustrated with how dull they were and wandered around trying to figure out what i needed to do to move on.

i felt like all the assassinations were lame as well. the moral discussions, as you put it, were so very over done, cheesy, and ultimately fell flat. to top it off, they all followed the same formula of drama whilst on deaths bed, that like the gameplay itself it got tiresome.

it may have just been me. i dont mean to rain on anyone elses parade, i just hope there has been a shit ton of improvements in many areas of this sequel.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah I have no idea what the fuck they were talking about at any time in AC1. I couldn't remember the names, and couldn't understand who the heck they were talking about when giving me a mission. I just looked at my map to find out where to go and be done with it.

Ether_Snake said:
Yeah I have no idea what the fuck they were talking about at any time in AC1. I couldn't remember the names, and couldn't understand who the heck they were talking about when giving me a mission. I just looked at my map to find out where to go and be done with it.
Story was horrid in the first one. VA too.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Loved the first game, but I hope the second fixes some minor irritations I had with AC1:

1.) Lack of subtitles. I know there was a lot of dialog, but not all of us have 100% of our hearing.

2.) Skippable cutscenes for all missions (because if we have to repeat them (those damn informer/assassin missions), it's incredibly annoying/time-consuming to hear the speeches our contacts make again and again (and again). Along with this, don't lock our focus when the contact is speaking (e.g., the citizen rescue (also more diversity in the thank you speeches would be greatly appreciated)).

3.) Please let Desmond run in the "present" scenes. He walks veerrrrryyyy slowly.

4.) I loved the animations/platforming in AC1 (I think they're the best of this gen), but it would be nice if they could be a bit quicker. Altair was not the fastest climber in the world. I know Ubi was probably going for realism here, but it made for tedious platforming.

and my own personal request:

5.) Fewer beggars and insane people. Video game characters rarely inspire such hatred in me as they did.

Looking forward to AC2!

Top Bottom