• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Assassin's Creed Game Reveal

Tareskog

QZczU6V.jpg

Not normally one to care what goes on over there and I normally have a quick nose through boredom but this just takes the piss..

To ban someone for saying that? Is that normal behaviour?

Thats shocking :/

Haha. For fucks sake. What he says makes completely sense. Glad I left that shithole long ago.

That said: I liked the trailer. Not big fan ot the Lothebrok-look of the main character. Seems like they will continue the fantasy oriented take on the game which I approve, but I hope they tone down the arcade feeling from Odyssey.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Looks fun, will wait on reviews and buy it cheaper after 6 months

Audiophile

I don't buy it that most people aren't consuming content because the character is of an opposite sex. It's usually because something has been shoehorned in with a patronising agenda and/or the quality of the content wasn't of primary concern. And then when it fails, the people in charge just assume bigotry (or a lack of relatability in every trait), when most of the time they just did a crap job and didn't prioritise quality. There are also plenty of success stories when it comes to quality representation that people seem to conveniently ignore.

The problem is, when stuff like this keeps happening, it sours people who are more prone to generalisation and they start seeing it everywhere, even when you have genuine articles that are pushing quality over any of the other bullshit. They get suspicious and start thinking....."did they do this just to tick a box?"

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
This look like an absolute shitty Assassin's Creed game, just like Odyssey was. Ffs create a new IP to do this kind of thing, and respect the legacy of the first AC with TRUE Assassin's Creed gameplay.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's gonna be a good game, but not a good Assassin's Creed.

Last edited:

engstra

I still love and still play them, overall. But Odyssey was boring to me and bloated with filler. That said I would love to see AC change direction and become a more linear game with missions ala Splinter Cell. Just my personal wish. Focus in on story and set piece action/stealth and throw out the filler side quests.
When the first one was coming out I expected it to be like Hitman but in a historical setting with parkour elements

GamesAreFun

Banned
This look like an absolute shitty Assassin's Creed game, just like Odyssey was. Ffs create a new IP to do this kind of thing, and respect the legacy of the first AC with TRUE Assassin's Creed gameplay.
Ubisoft probably conducted market research & evaluated 40% lower sales of new title "Viking Warrior" vs "Assassin's Creed", the brand is too strong to abandon now.

Glad there's a choice of female protagonist again, any CG/gameplay footage of her yet or just the collectable model?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
It looks like throwable axes are in as well as duel wielding axes. Great for climbing sheer cliffs! I've played over 600 hours of ACO to date, so I'm looking forward to this.

sendit

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's gonna be a good game, but not a good Assassin's Creed.

Mind linking the gameplay video? I would like to make my own assessment .

Y2l1KQd.gif

Last edited:

Soulsdark

After having watched the trailer all I am thinking is...
Why is it even called '' Assassin's Creed '' anymore?

It's like they're just trying to milk the license, just make new standalone titles instead?
It was the same with the last game too, they're not even really assassins anymore xD.
Vikings with hidden blades make no sense either, isn't that a retcon?

Edit: Btw, are people getting triggered over the boobs yet lol?
I was actually a bit shocked that there was some pretty deep v-neck going on, I mean it makes sense but I was just shocked to see it in a big AAA title like this.
Scandinavia never was overtaken by the puritans to the extent of a lot of other European countries and the US, and the Vikings certainly weren't prudes.

Last edited:

Soulsdark

QZczU6V.jpg

Not normally one to care what goes on over there and I normally have a quick nose through boredom but this just takes the piss..

To ban someone for saying that? Is that normal behaviour?

Thats shocking :/

There really weren't '' a lot '' of female Viking fighters. There was this big thing a while back ago about how they had found graves '' proving '' that women in Scandinavia were warriors too but it was just based on a bunch of morons who didn't know shit about Viking culture.
A woman being buried with a weapon ( or a tool. An axe was both a weapon AND a tool ) or armor didn't mean that she was a warrior in life. Even slaves were buried with it because they believed that they'd bring it into the afterlife for their masters or husbands. But people took that as '' they must've been warriors '' because it suited the narrative that they wanted to spin and they didn't know shit about what they were talking about.
Even if they had gotten a warrior burial it could simply have been something like the woman having defended her home from a thug or something, or quite simply a honoring burial for a Jarl's wife or something.
People get hung up on the term '' warrior '' and the modern interpretation of that term, but it was a bit more complicated back then and more about honor and respect.

Women in Scandinavia were probably a lot tougher than in most of Europe, because women did stay at home alone when the men were away going viking. And they did have to defend their homes if they were attacked. And women who did do that were held up in very high regard.
Even foregin women, there was a story about Varangians ( Swedish Vikings ) who were raiding some place I can't remember where. And one of the Varangians tried to rape a village woman and she managed to fend him off somehow and kill him, and instead of killing her in retribution the Varangians celebrated her and gave her all of the killed Varangians belongings and let her go. And then they shamed the dead Varangians body and threw it in a ditch.
Vikings valued strength, and if a woman proved herself to be strong she was definitely respected.
But that also begs the question why there really aren't many if any prominent female vikings that actually have any historical backing whatsoever. People in Scandinavia loved stories and to write down what they or others had done on Runestones, if there really were '' a lot '' of female fighters or vikings in Scandinavia during that time period then why is there basically no real evidence for it?

Even the shieldmaidens are mainly just folklore and have no real historical backing.
But people just accept them as a real historical thing because that's what they desperately want to believe.
I'd like to believe it too because I am Swedish and it's part of my cultural heritage. I think that it'd be pretty badass if shieldmaidens were an actual thing and if women in Scandinavia were that hardcore. But there's no real evidence for it and there really would be a lot of it if it was true.

I don't understand the focus on historically accuracy, if people want it, there are a lot of history books and documentaries out there.

When it comes to TV, Cinema and Games that cover history/past events, it's basically guaranteed there'll be inaccuracies.; and most people don't care because it's about entertainment.

It seems like a lot of people are complaining about this game for the sake of it.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Mind linking the gameplay video? I would like to make my own assessment .

Y2l1KQd.gif

No need, the fact that we will be accompanied by up to 7 characters during our exploration is already an aberation for the series, but also: raiding villages (stay your blade from the flesh of the innocent, remember ?), building and growing our colony, develop political influence etc... Again, this is probably a good game, but not an Assassin's Creed one.

I want to be able to plan my assassination from the rooftops without being spotted, thanks to a panoply of tools that highlight infiltration.

sendit

No need, the fact that we will be accompanied by up to 7 characters during our exploration is already an aberation for the series, but also: raiding villages (stay your blade from the flesh of the innocent, remember ?), building and growing our colony, develop political influence etc... Again, this is probably a good game, but not an Assassin's Creed one.

I want to be able to plan my assassination from the rooftops without being spotted, thanks to a panoply of tools that highlight infiltration.

Didn't know that wasn't allowed in the previous 2 games:

Odyssey

Origins

The last two Assassins game gave players more options in how to approach a scenario. However, I wish they would do away with the super natural stuff.

Audiophile

Remember when AC had lots of rooftops and parkour was integral to it? Now it's all countryside and wide open settlements. Even with the parkour-heavy moments half your time is spent on the ground running between larger buildings.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned

When has AC ever been this? In AC 1 you just do a few terrible generic side activities then go on one of a few hidden entrances to jump down and kill somebody then run away. It’s really bland looking back, and what makes the game good is the presentation of the narrative IMO. Of course at the time the combat was pretty novel as was the movement. AC 2 was pretty much the same, but with more parkour and dope side missions instead of saving some guy 12 times. Your only real tool was smoke bombs and a crossbow. And money. Again, the narrative and presentation sold the game. AC Brotherhood added a bit of flavor, but I wouldnt call anything in AC “infiltration” until Unity really, which most people seemed to hate. None of those old games had real building interiors or actual stealth systems besides sprinting on rooftops or hiding in grass in later games. What you describe sounds more like Dishonored or something. The main stealth worth talking about in the early AC games was social stealth, something they pioneered and you don’t really see anymore

Remember when AC had lots of rooftops and parkour was integral to it? Now it's all countryside and wide open settlements.

This is something I do miss a lot, the verticality of the Ezio trilogy was a ton of fun, and I liked the puzzle-esque Buildings to climb. It’s an unfortunate casualty of the move to open world games.

Last edited:
Guerilla and Naughty Dog have the privilege of Sony exclusive marketing and besides, neither of their games reached AC numbers.
And Eidos? You referring to Tomb Raider? Well, I guess we've seen how well those sold even if you consider the huge brand name push.

AC already tried to push a female protag only game (Liberation) and it didn't sell all that well. Now we can debate about it (or if Horizon would have sold significantly better with a male protag) if this was because it was a handheld game or not but the fact remains. It's a huge gamble and Ubi won't be willing to make it.
?
Horizon has sold over 10 million so it’s on par with the best selling AC games. And that’s on one console. I don’t know what ND game you are talking about but I’m talking about TLOU 2. I don’t think you need to worry about that game setting the charts on fire.

sendit

?
Horizon has sold over 10 million so it’s on par with the best selling AC games. And that’s on one console. I don’t know what ND game you are talking about but I’m talking about TLOU 2. I don’t think you need to worry about that game setting the charts on fire.

Agreed. Double dipping on this when it comes to PC.

Arun1910

So this is interesting...

According to Darby, the writer of this game, there is a twist in the game that means both Protagonists stories ARE canon. So unlike Odyssey where Kassandra was canon only, both are canon in Valhalla.

Super interested in how they're pulling that off.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Didn't know that wasn't allowed in the previous 2 games:

Odyssey

Origins

The last two Assassins game gave players more options in how to approach a scenario. However, I wish they would do away with the super natural stuff.

I stopped when he aim with three arrows in fire... I do have played Origin for more than 100 hours and this kind of skills was just absurd, I remember that arrow you can control when fired. That kind of thin really ruined the immersion for me.

When has AC ever been this? In AC 1 you just do a few terrible generic side activities then go on one of a few hidden entrances to jump down and kill somebody then run away. It’s really bland looking back, and what makes the game good is the presentation of the narrative IMO. Of course at the time the combat was pretty novel as was the movement. AC 2 was pretty much the same, but with more parkour and dope side missions instead of saving some guy 12 times. Your only real tool was smoke bombs and a crossbow. And money. Again, the narrative and presentation sold the game. AC Brotherhood added a bit of flavor, but I wouldnt call anything in AC “infiltration” until Unity really, which most people seemed to hate. None of those old games had real building interiors or actual stealth systems besides sprinting on rooftops or hiding in grass in later games. What you describe sounds more like Dishonored or something. The main stealth worth talking about in the early AC games was social stealth, something they pioneered and you don’t really see anymore

This is something I do miss a lot, the verticality of the Ezio trilogy was a ton of fun, and I liked the puzzle-esque Buildings to climb. It’s an unfortunate casualty of the move to open world games.

You have the right to think AC 1 was an average game, I personally enjoy it a lot and I think the gameplay loop is good especially for a first game. AC2 was very solid and a great sequel. I kind of liked Unity, still a buggy mess even today.
Maybe infiltration was a bit too strong, I'm typing things as they come and since English ins't my first language, sometime I'm not employing the best words. Still, Odyssey is a joke with completely Godlike skills and an RPG style that do not mix well for me.

Last edited:
I stopped when he aim with tree arrows in fire... I do have played Origin for more than 100 hours and this kind of skills was just absurd, I remember that arrow you can control when fired. That kind of thin really ruined the immersion for me.

I never used such skills or the bird in Origins unless it was a quest requirement.
Did the same thing in Far Cry Primal - unlike Origins, that one doesn't ever remind you of the owl after the tutorial.
Hopefully we can ignore magic in Valhalla.

Nigel

Are they really going to demonise Alfred the Great? The leaks suggest you join up with Alfred. If not this is pretty retarded and despicable. Alfred was a model king. He loved his people and was well read, defending them and improving their life afterwards. He also was never supposed to be king, as all his siblings were slaughtered by the Vikings compelling him to take charge.

In the end he baptised the remaining Vikings. He was a true heroic figure. I highly doubt they’d make him a primary antagonist, as it just wouldn’t make any sense, but it is made by the French so maybe.

Dante83

Banned
I have always liked AC origins and odyssey for delving into mythologies and their worlds. This looks to be another cool game with that norse theme. Looking forward to it!

Haha. For fucks sake. What he says makes completely sense. Glad I left that shithole long ago.

That said: I liked the trailer. Not big fan ot the Lothebrok-look of the main character. Seems like they will continue the fantasy oriented take on the game which I approve, but I hope they tone down the arcade feeling from Odyssey.
The only way to stay a member of Resetera is to not say anything. Just read and move along.
Posting there is like trying to navigate a minefield while drunk.

The only way to stay a member of Resetera is to not say anything. Just read and move along.
Posting there is like trying to navigate a minefield while drunk.

I was just banned there myself after only posting for a week or so lol. You sure can't say anything about people whining about representation, people can come call you names and that's fine but the second you say something that's not 100% in support of men are slime and women rule you get the boot lol. Well I may be exaggerating there but not by much, it's not a place where people are welcome if they have differing opinions that's for sure.

Armorian

Banned

I belive that only game in the series that cared about main theme aside AC1 was Unity, it has many problems but was moslty focused on target assassinations (too bad story is completely irrelevant to the plot of other games). I like Origins and Odyssey but level systems completely fucked assassinations aspect.

Zimmy68

Yep, it’s Odyssey II (or Origins 3) and I’m ok with that.
it would be nice to have a real AC again some day.

nikolino840

"Take part in activities such as hunting and drinking competitions, or discover the traditional Norse art of chanting: a 'Viking rap battle' in which you can reduce your opponents to tears"

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
"Take part in activities such as hunting and drinking competitions, or discover the traditional Norse art of chanting: a 'Viking rap battle' in which you can reduce your opponents to tears"

This is a joke right ?

*Do some research*

Ok this is not a joke

They already released a first glimpse of those battles:

unknown.png

DS_Joost

If it is a good game, who the hell cares what it's called? What the fuck are people whining about?

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
If it is a good game, who the hell cares what it's called? What the fuck are people whining about?

True, I mean if the next Tomb Raider is a shooter in first person, who cares ? If it's a good game.
And if the next Forza become a boat simulator, who cares if it's done right ? Names are just names after all.

Last edited:

Andrew Macmillan

Neo Member
Assassins-Creed-New-Game-2020.jpg

Assassin’s Creed New Game: Ubisoft has officially announced Assassin’s Creed: Valhalla. A trailer attunes you to the Viking setting and you get to see the first screenshots. We also introduce you to the editions in which the action RPG appears. Source: Omggamer.

Top Bottom