• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Backbone One controller - Designed in partnership with Kojima Productions

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
240124_Backbone-Kojima_Reveal_16_9-01.jpg

20240116_PaintedHills_Koshima_Bottom_USBC_Dark-BG-1-1.png

03_240115_Backbone-Kojima_Back-Phone_PR-DARK.jpg

Looks awesome. Might need to get a second one.

Last edited:

Jesb

I bought one of these and it was an unreliable pos. Phone would connect to it one day than not another day. Returned it.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
They already did...

I mean not all cases, but the new Backbones support the use of just about any "normal" sized case.
Yeah sadly I use a wallet case and the backbones fit but the connector isn't long enough to connect to iPhone port. Wish they made one. Not taking a case off to play a game.

near

Gold Member
Looks pretty cool. But why?
Death Stranding is coming to the Apple App Store on Jan 31.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Death Stranding is coming to the Apple App Store on Jan 31.

Jurassic Park Ian Malcom GIF

Synless

Backbone controllers are amazing.
They are not $99 or $125 amazing. Im infinitely amazed these sell for this when controllers like Xbox and Dualsense controllers, that are better in every way sell much cheaper.

I wish Sony or Microsoft sold a phone version of their controllers that just connected to both sides. Id buy it in a heart beat.

I own the backbone and its serviceable at best.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
They are not $99 or $125 amazing. Im infinitely amazed these sell for this when controllers like Xbox and Dualsense controllers, that are better in every way sell much cheaper.

I wish Sony or Microsoft sold a phone version of their controllers that just connected to both sides. Id buy it in a heart beat.

I own the backbone and its serviceable at best.
It’s because there’s no real competition is why the price is what it is. The backbones only true competitor is the razer kishi and they’re similar in price.

Being able to connect directly to the phone is a huge plus.

Don’t get me wrong, they should cost way less, but that’s the market man. Nothing costs what they should.

Synless

It’s because there’s no real competition is why the price is what it is. The backbones only true competitor is the razer kishi and they’re similar in price.

Being able to connect directly to the phone is a huge plus.

Don’t get me wrong, they should cost way less, but that’s the market man. Nothing costs what they should.
I understand the why. I am not at all questioning that. I am saying anyone who says it’s amazing, wrong. It pales in comparison to console controllers.

To your exact point, when nothing else is out there average seems great.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I understand the why. I am not at all questioning that. I am saying anyone who says it’s amazing, wrong. It pales in comparison to console controllers.

To your exact point, when nothing else is out there average seems great.
Ehh. Feels amazing to me. I’ve tried a bunch of different Bluetooth options, controller mounts and the Backbone is the standout device that just works perfectly. I play the majority of my “consoles” via remote play, and don’t notice a drop in control quality when compared to the official controllers. Except for the touch pad. Thankfully I play on the PS5 the least.

AndrewRyan

Just bought a new android phone and thinking about getting one of these or the G8 Galileo. The Galileo comes with hall effect sticks making it somewhat worth the price but reviews say the Backbone is better integrated via. their custom app for shared controller configurations. Anyone try both?

Rudius

A bit ugly color.

On side note, it was awesome to play Death Stranding during the pandemic. Perfect timing for such immersion.

$125

Lol, no way

Ikr ?
And then people complain about the 200 Eurodollar PS portal which has haptics/vibration, proper analogue sticks and a 8'' screen to boot...
Had the Kishi, used it for a couple of days and sent it back, it just didn't feel right - especially for the price i got it.

I know that there's R&D involved when making these things but, 100+ Eurodollars for 4 pieces of plastic put together is too big of an ask

Top Bottom