• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Looks like Heroes of Normandie is starting to get in stock. I like the idea of a tile based war game that does simplify a lot of the mechanics for the sake of gameplay.

Plus the less looking at charts I have to do, I think the more fun I'd have. Not to mention the tiles look gorgeous.

Deadstar

I think I almost might be ready to start my first game of Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition. Anyone have any stories about it?

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
For those of you curious about Dead of Winter, my friends and I made a "let's play" of it. It's pretty long, but not really considering it's a 5 player game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoaEoZsGQf0

I think I almost might be ready to start my first game of Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition. Anyone have any stories about it?

I've been on the same fence. I think I wanna play it before I buy it though. So expensive! The catch-22 is that I'd be really intimidated to play with strangers.

For those of you curious about Dead of Winter, my friends and I made a "let's play" of it. It's pretty long, but not really considering it's a 5 player game.

I've been on the same fence. I think I wanna play it before I buy it though. So expensive! The catch-22 is that I'd be really intimidated to play with strangers.

Cool, thanks. I have it preordered.

And I've never played Twilight Emperium. It looks intimidating.

Keasar

I have the game and its two expansion, only played it once but I never regret getting it. Its just a beautiful piece of boardgaming.

The one time I played it was with 6 friends at the school, we took a room at the morning and had decided we were gonna marathon it. Everyone had been reading the rules ahead of time in PDFs I sent out so we didn't have to go over that before playing. 10 hours later we were done with humanity (me) standing as the victor and conqueror of Mecatol Rex. Best 10 hours ever I have spent on boardgaming. So much drama, diplomacy, backstabbing, cold war scenarios, backroom dealings, shouting etc. It is a space opera in a giant box.

Here is the thing though, this game is not something you drag out to play with strangers or complete newcomers to boardgaming. This is something for dedicated people. You wanna make sure people read the rules ahead in time. And don't repeat our mistake and marathon it, split up the game in a minimal of two sessions. That being said, get this game. If not playing it, when you wanna impress someone how awesome boardgaming can be, you pull out that box and let them hold it. And its so beautiful with its size, components, complexity etc.

I also recommend if you are on the fence to watch the Shut Up & Sit Down review of the game. Or their Let's Play of it.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.

I keep forgetting you are a GAFer and only remembering that you know people that I know in real life.

and yet we've never met.

Experien

Oh man...Zombicide: Season 3 looks pathetic! The new stuff is just stupid and looks like they ran out of ideas/super jumped the shark.

ultron87

I've only played once. After starting around 11 AM it took ten hours between setup, rules reviewing, and actual playing. I loved it. It really does feel like a grand thing you're venturing forth on when you have this huge galaxy set up on the table and the big piles of tokens and plastic ships ready to deploy.

M4Nacnh.jpg

This is a picture from what was probably the... sixth turn? I, with the gray ships, had made a fairly reckless expansion to take Mecatol Rex, the capital planet in the center, and got bailed out by the passing of some laws that heavily discouraged military action throughout the middle of the game. As you can see, this led to a bit of pile up of military forces on everyone's borders just waiting for the truces to break. When it finally did, a turn later, the yellow player put on an all out offensive and booted me out of the center and there were all kinds of crazy incursions into everyone's territory.

Yellow ending up winning in the final turn by spending pretty much the entirety of his surviving military forces on completing his really aggressive secret objective. That got him the points needed to win. I was close but ran out of actions and the blue player also had a chance to win but got blown out by a card that lost him control of a key planet. I didn't really mind the losing or winning part. I just enjoyed the theater of the whole thing and how it really did feel like being behind the controls of a great space opera story.

I think our game was a little weird because there really weren't that many invasions because of the consecutive laws getting past that made invasions either impossible or heavily punished the first person to make an aggressive move. So the middle of the game didn't have a ton of action and was mostly posturing. That said, it never felt boring or like the game was dragging on. The game keeps you pretty engaged during turns because the person taking an action rotates around the table relatively fast and you want to be paying attention to what everyone else is doing.

The biggest tip I can give for playing with a new group is to have everyone read the rules beforehand. They don't need to become masters but just being familiar with the concepts and basic actions in the game will let you get started way faster. Also, make sure you get people that would actually be in for such a long game.

Oh man...Zombicide: Season 3 looks pathetic! The new stuff is just stupid and looks like they ran out of ideas/super jumped the shark.
That's kind of why I felt underwhelmed with it.
But it's selling well, which part of me thinks it's so people can sell the bonus stuff on eBay. Those items are hella expensive on there!

Anyone else excited for Doomtown:Reloaded?

Edit: ....tumbleweed rolls by....
I am. I enjoyed the original game back in the day and have been looking forward to the reprint since they annouced it.

I haven't watched the video yet, but did you enjoy it? It looks like it might scratch the same itch as BSG, how similar (in tone) do they feel to each other?
Make sure you tell people the game isn't Risk or Axis and Allies. While combat is important it's not the main goal. Combat is really expensive and unless you are going after a particular goal can take your focus away from what is really important and that's points. I played two games where the guy sitting next to me felt it was his duty to try and eliminate me from the map. The problem this caused was not only was I not focusing on my goals and trying to defend myself he wasn't working on his goals. In one game he actually left a point producing planet just to attack me for no reason. The game wasn't fun for me at that point and I refuse to play with that guy again. Subsequent games have been better, but that was the biggest lesson I learned while playing TI3.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

There really is nothing like it. Whoever is in control of the game swings wildly from player to player because military isn't the only dominant factors. Holding influence heavy planets is amazing and I almost always try to lock them down. I've had it where every political phase someone is going in hard to protect my diplomat because I control the vote. Doesn't even matter if I have barely any military.

For your first TI game, try to stick to playing the base game with none of the optional rules.

Lot of the options are nice and add more flavor to the game, but it's best to start with just the base, and to add in other rules once you have got that down.

ultron87

For our first game we used the Strategy Cards from the expansion. Seemed like it worked pretty well. I think we mostly did it because it avoided the crappy thing in the base game where the first two picks are always Imperial to get two points and Initiative so you can pick Imperial next turn.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
As a follow up, Mage Wars is fantastic. Very much an influx of information to pull in when you just start and TONS of rulings and phases within phases. As MtG players me and my friends are handling it pretty well. The decklists they have in the book aren't that great though, only having played with the Priestess and my boy playing Beastmaster. Definitely going to get in there and make some changes. Who plays here? What do you normally run?

For our first game we used the Strategy Cards from the expansion. Seemed like it worked pretty well. I think we mostly did it because it avoided the crappy thing in the base game where the first two picks are always Imperial to get two points and Initiative so you can pick Imperial next turn.

The expansion strategy cards are better, but also feel that they can make the game run longer too.

Deadstar

The expansion strategy cards are better, but also feel that they can make the game run longer too.

That's why I read to use the original strategy cards just because it makes the game go a little quicker the first time when you are learning.

As a follow up, Mage Wars is fantastic. Very much an influx of information to pull in when you just start and TONS of rulings and phases within phases. As MtG players me and my friends are handling it pretty well. The decklists they have in the book aren't that great though, only having played with the Priestess and my boy playing Beastmaster. Definitely going to get in there and make some changes. Who plays here? What do you normally run?

Mage Wars is AWESOME. I love the game. I've got everything of it and am waiting for Forged in Fire to go on amazon prime. I've played all the mages except the wizard and forecemaster. I enjoyed the necromancer and used a skeleton play style. I kind of like the warlock too with all of the burn markers. I played beastmaster for my first game but didn't totally understand everything. I'd like to go back to see how I do.

Legendary Villains is out. Set got almost no marketing push, UD been strange with how quiet they are with the game lately. But it's a separate core set me of Legendary that you play as Villains instead.

Legendary Villains is out. Set got almost no marketing push, UD been strange with how quiet they are with the game lately. But it's a separate core set me of Legendary that you play as Villains instead.

I think it was a mistake making it a standalone set. It's a catch 22 because they want it to be compatible with Legendary but that means that the mechanics of the game are going to be really, really similar to legendary. I don't feel like it's worth it at this point. I would have much preferred to have another expansion to the base game. I also have no interest in playing as villains. It will still sell well, but I'm disappointed that it's not the product that I want (I'm really sad that Dr. Strange is one of the "masterminds" so you can't play as him in Legendary).

Yea it seems kinda odd all around. Another reg Legendary expansion apparently Oct, but sad to hear that they are going to make non Marvel Legendary games as well. Meh

I think it should be said that I really, really enjoy the original game with expansions especially with two people. I just want more heroes.

Karkador

Banned
I think I prefer more of the superhero games where you can play with any character, rather than get locked into a hero/villain dichotomy.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yea it seems kinda odd all around. Another reg Legendary expansion apparently Oct, but sad to hear that they are going to make non Marvel Legendary games as well. Meh

Yeah I really like Legendary but very likely passing on all the offshoot stuff that just feels like a rushed cash-in.

I think I prefer more of the superhero games where you can play with any character, rather than get locked into a hero/villain dichotomy.

They clarified that the cards are compatible outside of the base stuff. So you can use them as an extension of your hero roster.... hey Magneto turned hero... several times, so did Venom.

So it's possible to use Magneto as a hero in that game?

You can bring Magneto or any of the main character decks into a regular Legendary game yes. It sounds like it works both ways too, like you can slip in a hero deck into your villains to team up. Main thing is to learn the terminology as they have a conversion guide in the rulebook. Like Ally = Hero on villain cards. But the character cards are meant to be compatible and the rulebook has a faq on it. The villain game has some different base cards and mechanics that make it play a little different apparently, but otherwise it's same game. So it essentially adds 15 new characters you can put in base Legendary if you want.

Villains appear to be Juggernaught, Magneto, Bullseye, Green Goblin, Mysterio, Doctor Octupus, Kraven, Kingpin, Loki, Enchantress, Venom, Electro, Sabertooth, Mystique, and Ultron. Some are known anti heroes, some obviously dont make much sense to mix in a hero deck.... you can kinda use these to make your own Thunderbolts eventually?

Neverfade

Impulse from Asmadi shipped today. I figure I like GtR and Innovation so much that this was probably a safe blind buy.

Fingers crossed that Chudyk 3-peats this.

Mr. Hyde

I picked up Eldritch Horror as my first board game ever (besides the random basic games growing up). I am intimidated by sitting down to learn it but I have two days off starting tomorrow, so hopefully I can figure it out and then play a game with my fiancee before bringing it over to our friend and his wife's house to do a four player game. I sort of blindly purchased it at a board game shop and I am glad I chose it over Arkham Horror due to it being a newer game with less expansions and a more streamlined experience. I hope I enjoy it! I also hope I have enough space for it. Otherwise, I might bring it with me to this newly opened board games plus craft beer bar here in Orlando to use one of their tables.

Experien

I picked up Eldritch Horror as my first board game ever (besides the random basic games growing up). I am intimidated by sitting down to learn it but I have two days off starting tomorrow, so hopefully I can figure it out and then play a game with my fiancee before bringing it over to our friend and his wife's house to do a four player game. I sort of blindly purchased it at a board game shop and I am glad I chose it over Arkham Horror due to it being a newer game with less expansions and a more streamlined experience. I hope I enjoy it! I also hope I have enough space for it. Otherwise, I might bring it with me to this newly opened board games plus craft beer bar here in Orlando to use one of their tables.

Not to be used a defacto guide but Fantasy Flight tends to put out quick videos about how to play their game. Here is their video on Eldritch Horror.

I think it helps me to figure out a turn order when learning a new game and then see how it expands upon that. In the case of this...each player has 2 actions and once everyone has done that, BAD STUFF HAPPENS; and repeat.

So apparently "Xcom: The Board Game" is the only words someone needs to say to me in order to get a game.

Speaking of, I wish so much that they released the prototype board game they did for Xcom: Enemy Unknown when coming up with that game. I'd love to see even little bits of that.

I've been strongly thinking that I want this too. But I'm without a doubt picking up Betrayal at House on the Hill and despite their obvious and many differences wonder if they'll crowd each other out.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Ever play the crap out of a game and realize that, after more than a year playing and probably more than like 30-40 games, you have been doing something wrong the entire time?

So, I used to have my own sort of LAN center/gaming store. Therefore, I got to play games ALL the time. It was almost mandate because I would teach people how to play so that they would be interested in buying etc. Well , Mage Knight is the one we would typically leave out and play multiple times a day. Fast forward a year removed from me closing the store and us playing Mage Knight pretty much daily and we realize that the entire time rampaging enemies are supposed to be put out face up so that you can see them before you engage them lulz

Anyway we played again last night. After some rule refresh on the first couple turns it was like riding a bike. This games different mechanics and components work so well together. It is nuts. First game back and I almost got off of the board on the fame track in a blitz game :D. Tovak is da bess.

Karkador

Banned
I played Spyrium earlier this week and I was surprised by the fun I had playing it. The game is currently bargain-binned just about everywhere, so it's easy to misjudge it as a mediocre game, but it was a pretty tight contest with a 5-player game (and didn't take very long to play).

sasimirobot

Been playing alot of Camel Up. Fun fun game, easy to teach and actually has some interesting timing and movement mechanics. I read a lot of complaints about it being too random, but I think if you play consistently better than everyone at the table (bet faster, bet often, clever tile placement, balance risk vs. reward, etc...) you have a good chance at winning the game.

Also busted out Skull at the bar last night. This game is much much better with 5 people, I am tempted to say its one of the best games I have played in a drinking setting. Feels so good flipping up the last flower on a 6 flower call, high fives all around, cheers, people at other tables looking jealous at all the fun we are having.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Been playing alot of Camel Up. Fun fun game, easy to teach and actually has some interesting timing and movement mechanics. I read a lot of complaints about it being too random, but I think if you play consistently better than everyone at the table (bet faster, bet often, clever tile placement, balance risk vs. reward, etc...) you have a good chance at winning the game.

Also busted out Skull at the bar last night. This game is much much better with 5 people, I am tempted to say its one of the best games I have played in a drinking setting. Feels so good flipping up the last flower on a 6 flower call, high fives all around, cheers, people at other tables looking jealous at all the fun we are having.
I feel the same about Camel Up. Good times if you are looking for a light family-style game.
I keep forgetting you are a GAFer and only remembering that you know people that I know in real life.

and yet we've never met.
I go to BGG and GenCon! We should hang out! Or maybe some other time? Just message us on Twitter or FB and tell me who you are and we can meet-up sometime. I'm pretty normal and not super into commiting murders these days, so you might have fun! Lord knows you gave us some early encouragement we needed!

Dragoshi1

Hey guys, is Lord of the Rings the LCG simple to learn and play? Got interested seeing an entire wall covered in the stuff at a local shop, but didn't think anything of it until late last night.

The supposed solo aspect of it interests me, and I'm a fan of LotR and the Hobbit. But I'm worried it might be too complicated.

XShagrath

Hey guys, is Lord of the Rings the LCG simple to learn and play? Got interested seeing an entire wall covered in the stuff at a local shop, but didn't think anything of it until late last night.

The supposed solo aspect of it interests me, and I'm a fan of LotR and the Hobbit. But I'm worried it might be too complicated.

I played it quite a bit a while ago. It's not really complicated, just extremely fiddly. The thing that turned me off was the meta-deck building where you had to tailor your deck(s) to each individual adventure (you play against an AI deck of sorts). That meant you either played through the adventure first with your current deck and lost (sometimes dragging on for far too long), or you looked through the adventure cards first to know what you were gonna be up against (which seems anti-climatic to me). Then you would realize you needed more X in your deck, and you'd change out some cards and try again.

I really enjoy the theme and the mechanics, and the fact that a lot of the adventures feel very unique (unlike Pathfinder: The Adventure Card Game, for example). However, the turn-offs I mentioned above were enough to eventually turn me from the game.

clockpunk

Hoody hoo, after a year of searching I finally lucked out and snagged a copy of Chez Greek to complete my collection of that series! ^_^ Been nigh impossible to find a copy for sale anywhere (English Edition in Europe), but stumbled across an auction that didn't even name it in the contents, but accidentally clicked the image which moved to the next and... there it was.

Three Chez games for £5 - so can trade on the other two (or donate them).

A nice little bit of luck is always fun.

Dragoshi1

I played it quite a bit a while ago. It's not really complicated, just extremely fiddly. The thing that turned me off was the meta-deck building where you had to tailor your deck(s) to each individual adventure (you play against an AI deck of sorts). That meant you either played through the adventure first with your current deck and lost (sometimes dragging on for far too long), or you looked through the adventure cards first to know what you were gonna be up against (which seems anti-climatic to me). Then you would realize you needed more X in your deck, and you'd change out some cards and try again.

I really enjoy the theme and the mechanics, and the fact that a lot of the adventures feel very unique (unlike Pathfinder: The Adventure Card Game, for example). However, the turn-offs I mentioned above were enough to eventually turn me from the game.

Would you prefer Pathfinder over LotR?

Pathfinder I was interested in too, but can that game be solo'ed as well?

XShagrath

Would you prefer Pathfinder over LotR?

Pathfinder I was interested in too, but can that game be solo'ed as well?

Both are able to be played solo, although probably not easy as a single character. That means that you would basically be playing a multiple player game, but taking everyone's turn.

I haven't played Pathfinder solo, but have been doing a 2-player campaign with a friend. My complaints about that game are that a lot of the adventures are very samey. It's a lot of "kill the henchman, then kill the villain" stuff. LOTR changes things up quite a bit from adventure to adventure. Sometimes it's about killing a big baddie, other times it's about looking through locations for clues, etc.

Pathfinder seems to be balanced for a 4-player setting. We're having a tough time with some of the cards due to not having the right skills, and we're way too far in to change characters (which would probably mean that we'd be just missing different skills). I've heard that the second set of adventure packs is supposed to help with both of the problems I have. It's supposed to be rebalanced, as well as adding more variety to the types of adventures. I'm gonna hold off for a bit, but if it looks different enough, I'll go through that set as well.

Apenheul

If you play Pathfinder ACG solo you have to play with multiple characters, otherwise it might just be impossible to for example overcome a barrier which usually involve pretty specific skill-tests.

Phthisis

LOTR LCG is a game I really want to love, so badly. But I just can't. A lot of the quest design is really lazy (oh, you drew a treachery card that automatically eliminates one or your heroes. Yeah? Fuck off.). The art is amazing, but it's incredibly frustrating that there's a lot of luck-dependent stuff in order to beat any given scenario (like not pulling certain shadow cards or treacheries, lucky pulls off the encounter deck when you push hard on a quest, etc.). I've personally had more fun with Pathfinder ACG, but LOTR is probably more dynamic as an experience.

LOTR LCG is a game I really want to love, so badly. But I just can't. A lot of the quest design is really lazy (oh, you drew a treachery card that automatically eliminates one or your heroes. Yeah? Fuck off.). The art is amazing, but it's incredibly frustrating that there's a lot of luck-dependent stuff in order to beat any given scenario (like not pulling certain shadow cards or treacheries, lucky pulls off the encounter deck when you push hard on a quest, etc.). I've personally had more fun with Pathfinder ACG, but LOTR is probably more dynamic as an experience.

Frankly the same stuff happens in pathfinder. Especially with scenarios that essentially require a specific type of skill check to proceed, but no one is playing a character with that skill, so it becomes next to impossible. While they shrunk down a d20 experience, it still is a bit bloated in detail for proper balance and you get alot of crappy situations in Pathfinder which like LOTR, forces you to get different cards to try again.

LOTR is fantastic game, but it's always going to have issues with players who aren't into CCG like deck building, as it's a major part of the game. Pathfinder is easier for everyone to just jump into and easy to play. LOTR I think is actually a better game for a coop experience, but Pathfinder is more accessible and feels more like a RPG lite.

LOTR I think got alot better too since they added the 3 difficulty modes to all scenarios.

Top Bottom