• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

zulux21

Interesting, that developer has done Patchwork, Le Havre, and Agricola All Creatures Big And Small.

Terra mystica as a game looks super duper boring to me.
but like a number of games that look super duper boring to me I am willing to try them out on an app. worst case I hate them and stop mid game, while if I play with humans I will feel obliged to at least finish the game.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
My Onirim win percentage after just winning my third game is 10.3%. Definitely not as easy of a game to play solo as say, Space Hulk Death Angel.

ಠ_ಠ Is this opposite day?

Not that I think Onirim is an easy game just... Death Angel.

My girlfriend and I have both been playing a lot of Onirim on mobile this week when it went free on the Play Store. Both have ratios of just under 40%. Managed to bring mine up after I accidentally reset the stats and then had an awful run.

Was tempted to track down the physical cards but it doesn't look like it's really sold anymore. Considering picking up the LOTR LCG this week on recommendation of people from work.

SH:DA isn't easy and it can be brutal but it definitely feels easier than Onirim to me. I think my win ratio for SH:DA is better than 10%.
I'm not gonna accuse the devs of the app of doing a bad job of doing the randomization for shuffling, just that I think that maybe my quick shuffling with a physical deck would be worse and less-random than the app, so maybe the actual boxed game might feel easier to me.
It's entirely possible their algorithms are flawed. Think I'll check out the app myself.

zeeaykay

Terra Mystica is absolutely one of the best games out there, and while the app is wonderful I don't think it's the best way to learn. I would recommend reading the manual or watching some videos before you dig in. There are so many choices to make, the app doesn't make it super intuitive when learning. That said it's the cheaper option so it might be your best bet.

Two of my friends also have the app and we always have a 3-player game going. It's the only game I play on my phone, which is about as good of an endorsement as I can give.

If anyone wants to join us for a friendly you should send me a request, user name is same as this one: ZeeAyKay.

Sober

Looking for some recommendations, I think.

Bought some games a while back but wondering if there are any good games for maybe 2-6 people. Sushi Go Party is a really good hit anywhere it gets brought out. I'm wondering what else will do it. I can't really see much right now beyond Monopoly Deal and Exploding Kittens. I did some research and Welcome to the Dungeon looks interesting.

I'm also tempted to grab some of the obvious suspects like Catan, Carcassonne, even Munchkin but I'm wary about having games of that size make it annoying to bring around.

Also I got my girlfriend into board/card games which is nice. She also really enjoys Sushi Go as well as Star Realms. Was wondering if there's other head to head stuff that's good.

I'm the same vein I'm really tempted to get something like Netrunner (which I've played before) or something like GOT LCG. I don't really know if she'd be into either that much. That and I wouldn't plan to invest too much or at all into the LCG stuff.

Any other games I might not know about?

Phthisis

Looking for some recommendations, I think.

Bought some games a while back but wondering if there are any good games for maybe 2-6 people. Sushi Go Party is a really good hit anywhere it gets brought out. I'm wondering what else will do it. I can't really see much right now beyond Monopoly Deal and Exploding Kittens. I did some research and Welcome to the Dungeon looks interesting.

Welcome to the Dungeon is fun. I like that game a lot. They just released an expand-alone, too.

Also I got my girlfriend into board/card games which is nice. She also really enjoys Sushi Go as well as Star Realms. Was wondering if there's other head to head stuff that's good.

Can't go wrong with 7 Wonders Duel. 13 Days is also very good. Isle of Trains, And Then We Held Hands, all good.

Keasar

Preview of a new Sports themed set in Millennium Blades.
vTxvdvy.jpg
Got quite a good chuckle from me. :p

Should I wait for this ks to get all of mb is some mega backer set with promos?
Thought you'd be perhaps interested in knowing that level99 games seem to be preparing for a third reprint of the game right now according to their latest newsletter.

Mr E.

Didn't know Sushi Go was two player, I don't think it works well at that count.

Battle Line, Patch work, Targi are all fantastic two player games.

When ever "The Cousins war" becomes available grab it immediately. Bought it at UKGE and it's my current two player 30 mins or less game. Cheap, small footprint game with depth.

Was tempted to track down the physical cards but it doesn't look like it's really sold anymore. Considering picking up the LOTR LCG this week on recommendation of people from work.

I started LotR LCG roughly a month ago and I love it. I don't think it's for everyone but it totally scratches my deck building itch while being able to play solo.

He is still doing videos because his are always in the "review" section of these games on KS. Never fully enjoyed his videos cause he seemed to drone on and on about it but I think I am the same way. So if he can catch a following, maybe I should too?

What was the issue with his LOAD video or whatever went down?
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1588614/do-you-still-trust-undead-viking-after-load-fiasco

It's a huge thread so I don't expect you to go through the entire thing. UDV did a positive "review" for LOAD which was kickstarter game that had some unscrupulous people behind it. At the same time, Boardgame Brawl did a preview video where he stated it was paid and he was also upfront with the controversy surrounding the game, UDV did not. People had been questioning UDV's integrity prior to this incident but because of the controversy behind the game more people started to pay attention.

Lyng

Didn't know Sushi Go was two player, I don't think it works well at that count.

Battle Line, Patch work, Targi are all fantastic two player games.

When ever "The Cousins war" becomes available grab it immediately. Bought it at UKGE and it's my current two player 30 mins or less game. Cheap, small footprint game with depth.
Sushi Go party at least works very well with two

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Anyone around here played Sylvion? I was just looking to see if you can still buy the physical edition of Onirim to no luck but that popped up so I watched a video and it looked pretty neat.

Got the LOTR LCG on the way too, I always want to play more board games and stuff with my girlfriend but I don't think she's ever super keen on it being a 1v1 situation so I've been looking into more stuff that's solo or co-op, plus she's a huge LOTR fan and she's been playing the crap out of Onirim this week on mobile.

I bought Skull and No Thanks just a few days before Origins. I don't regret it though, I have my Origins budget all set up and those games fill in some gaps in my small collection.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Speaking of Sushi Go, me and my friends started getting sucked into Go a few months ago, and this definitely reduced some time for my actual board games.

Highly recommended and an incredibly special game.

Blizzard

Banned
Speaking of Sushi Go, me and my friends started getting sucked into Go a few months ago, and this definitely reduced some time for my actual board games.

Highly recommended and an incredibly special game.
I think Go is an actual board game, especially since unlike many games we discuss in this thread, it has an actual board. :p

I see everybody on BGG praising Terraforming Mars, what's so good about it?
I've read complaints about the quality of the materials

edit: also ordered Friday, Hostage Negotiator and One Deck Dungeon

I think Go is an actual board game, especially since unlike many games we discuss in this thread, it has an actual board. :p

Actually only Sushi Go Party has a board, so I assume that's the version you play. It's definitely a great game though, one of the games that comes to mind for "starter games for people that only know Monopoly and Risk" along with King of Tokyo, Splendor, Ticket to Ride, and Skull.

I own the Party set for the variety vs the normal version, but there's something to be said about the portability and ease of breaking out for the normal deck. The Party version requires a little setup time to make a deck and then to put it away again, whereas the normal version can just be pulled out, shuffled and dealt.

Aaron

I personally hated Terraforming Mars, but I'm not into the whole euro building your engine thing.The few times I played I felt like certain players were running away with the game, and I didn't have enough agency to slow them down.

I haven't played it myself yet so I asked a friend of mine who really likes it. Here's what he said (with a little cleaning up, it was over Discord)

I would say the main part is that every time you play there are different strategies. Due to the different types of asymmetric starting companies and the massive deck of cards.
Thematically, the cards add nice flavor and theme to it. They make you feel like you are "terraforming mars" thematically versus just a game with cards.
There's a good amount of player interaction and dickery. Not too much to rage quit, but enough to be little stressed about it.
You have to be mindful of the card crafting mechanics because you don't want your opponents to have certain cards, but you really really really want this one card, so you have to play this weighing the cards game for the best strategy

Blizzard

Banned
Actually only Sushi Go Party has a board, so I assume that's the version you play. It's definitely a great game though, one of the games that comes to mind for "starter games for people that only know Monopoly and Risk" along with King of Tokyo, Splendor, Ticket to Ride, and Skull.
I don't think Toma was talking about Sushi Go when they said Go. :p

I personally hated Terraforming Mars, but I'm not into the whole euro building your engine thing.The few times I played I felt like certain players were running away with the game, and I didn't have enough agency to slow them down.

I haven't played it myself yet so I asked a friend of mine who really likes it. Here's what he said (with a little cleaning up, it was over Discord)

Thank you.
Can you explain me what's meant with "euro" games?

Blizzard

Banned
Thank you.
There's overlap these days, but it's a general term for games that were created, and became popular, in Europe and have since spread to the United States and other places.

Typically if someone says "euro" they mean a game with lots of mechanics, lots of little moving parts, and an emphasis on mechanics + strategy vs. theme and luck.

Some people might find them too dry or complicated. Of course some euro games have theme nicely integrated, some may have more luck, etc.

Aaron

Thank you.
Euro games tend to have complex systems and little player interaction. Basically, you'll be trying to do all you can to earn the most points, and are usually only able to interfere with other players indirectly. I dislike them in general because instead of the game ending with a murderer being caught to a diabolical plot exposed, there's a lot of math. Because the rules are so important to these games, any luck factor at all can cause huge swings, and I don't always feel like the best player wins.

Settlers of Catan is probably the best known of the euros.

Blizzard

Banned
I thought Settlers of Catan was considered a gateway game, and it's generally hated by anyone who plays more complex games (e.g. euros).

It doesn't even meet your definitions as far as I can tell -- Catan doesn't have complex systems, and there's direct player interaction. You can help someone by trading with them, you can choose to screw over someone by refusing to trade with them, and you can choose to screw over someone by blocking their buildings or roads. Those are pretty direct to me.

Also I would say Catan has far more luck than a typical euro game, and I feel the player with the most skill typically wins euros. It's basically the exact opposite -- in non-euros, the stereotype is that there is a lot of theme but potentially a lot of randomness, so the best player does not necessarily win.

I thought Settlers of Catan was considered a gateway game, and it's generally hated by anyone who plays more complex games (e.g. euros).

It doesn't even meet your definitions as far as I can tell -- Catan doesn't have complex systems, and there's direct player interaction. You can help someone by trading with them, you can choose to screw over someone by refusing to trade with them, and you can choose to screw over someone by blocking their buildings or roads. Those are pretty direct to me.

Also I would say Catan has far more luck than a typical euro game, and I feel the player with the most skill typically wins euros. It's basically the exact opposite -- in non-euros, the stereotype is that there is a lot of theme but potentially a lot of randomness, so the best player does not necessarily win.

I think Catan is considered both

To the masses it's a gateway game since it introduces them to all the crazy deeper mechanics that euros can have, like stepping into the shallow end of a pool for the first time and freaking out since you've never had your feet get wet before and it's fun to kick the water around.

But once you've dived into the deep end, you look back and realize the shallows were REALLY shallow and it's hard to want to play kick water around since you've been exposed to so much more.

Of course I say this in hypothetical terms, I've never actually played settlers of catan 😰

Blizzard

Banned
One big example is that euros rarely use dice as far as I'm aware. That's why Feast for Odin was such a crazy move. Dice in a game by a stereotypical euro board game creator, known for such dry classics as Agricola? Madness! What if a non-best player wins?

The dice do provide some luck impact on the game, but I'd still challenge someone who's not very skilled at the game to come anywhere close to an experienced Feast for Odin player, even if the experienced player skips all the dice actions.

XShagrath

One big example is that euros rarely use dice as far as I'm aware.
Lots of euros use dice, but not in conventional ways. Several of Stefan Felds games use dice. Dice worker placement is a very nice mechanism (used in games like Voyages of Marco Polo and Signorie, among others). I think a lot of what differentiates a euro from other games is the amount of strategy (as stated before), and also a minimal amount of direct conflict. Quite a good percentage of euros could be considered "multiplayer solitaire" games.

Blizzard

Banned
Lots of euros use dice, but not in conventional ways. Several of Stefan Felds games use dice. Dice worker placement is a very nice mechanism (used in games like Voyages of Marco Polo and Signorie, among others). I think a lot of what differentiates a euro from other games is the amount of strategy (as stated before), and also a minimal amount of direct conflict. Quite a good percentage of euros could be considered "multiplayer solitaire" games.
True, I forgot to mention the dice spot placement in Kingsburg.

I really enjoy Terraforming Mars and so are the people in my board game group that I introduced the game to. For many months it was the only game we were playing at our coffee shop Meet Up. I think the praise is justified by the fact that the game has good theme integration and if you like engine building, card drafting and tile laying game it is really well design game.

The components are subpar for expensive game. The board itself is decent but the player mats are just thin stock cards. The game box is also pretty cheap and thin and while you might ask why this should matter, I found that over the last few months of going to game Meet Up, the games that came in cheap box (mostly Stronghold Games) really take the beating. I read that the reason for low quality and high price is because they produced Terraforming Mars in the US instead of China and to compensate for higher labor cost they lower the quality.

The art and graphic design on the cards also left a lot to be desire. The cards are not ugly by any mean but they are just merely serviceable. The art also pretty mismatch and the designer seem to be taking them off public domain or stock photo service. That said the game is actually very attractive on the table especially when all the tiles are out and all the shiny and crystal clear cubes get placed. If you like the game there are several 3rd party that make upgrade bits for the game. I would say the acrylic mat holder is almost a must if you play this game regularly. I will address the con of this game below.

I personally hated Terraforming Mars, but I'm not into the whole euro building your engine thing. The few times I played I felt like certain players were running away with the game, and I didn't have enough agency to slow them down.

After returning to board game during the last few years and went from Arkham Horror to the Gallerist, I found that game taste is very subjective and very dependent on the group of people you are playing with. Terraforming Mars chief complain is that you can get hose by the card you get since the game has unique cards some argue certain card or cheaper card could get your engine sooner. I think this is true to the extend but I think the main issue with this and most of the Euro games is that they tend to benefit the people that experience with particular game. The knowledge of the cards and the synergy between cards you draft or forego with the corporation you have really play big part. One way this can be mitigate is by doing round robin drafting but that would add more time to the game. I personally never find luck of the draw to be detrimental to our enjoyment.

Thank you.

The term Euro and Ameritrash are getting really blur as many new games are hybrid of the two. Euro is usually use to describe many of the cube pushing, resource collecting, engine building and most of all get victory points type of games. The last feature of points collecting is probably one of the more common in Euro games. It also has very low conflict and low player interaction that some might call more of multiplayer solitaire. While I agree to some extend there were plenty of exciting games of Terraforming Mars or couple weeks ago when we played game of Trajan that the points spread between each player were within one or two points. Euro games with experience player can be exciting and competitive. Again I think enjoyment of games really hinge on the company you are playing the game with.

Anyone got some recommendations for some good co-op games? My girlfriend and I play a lot of boardgames together but they're always direct conflict/competitive games. We're looking for something we can co-op together.

We've already played out Pandemic and our group is already in the midst of Pandemic Legacy. I looked into Forbidden Island and Forbidden Desert but those seem too similar to Pandemic.

I've looked into Mechs vs Minions, Elder Sign, Arkham Horror The Card Game. Open to any other suggestions you all have.

We're looking for something that offers a bit more than the 45 min game of Pandemic. So we're open to story heavy games or games that take 90+ minutes

sneaky77

Anyone got some recommendations for some good co-op games? My girlfriend and I play a lot of boardgames together but they're always direct conflict/competitive games. We're looking for something we can co-op together.

We've already played out Pandemic and our group is already in the midst of Pandemic Legacy. I looked into Forbidden Island and Forbidden Desert but those seem too similar to Pandemic.

I've looked into Mechs vs Minions, Elder Sign, Arkham Horror The Card Game. Open to any other suggestions you all have.

We're looking for something that offers a bit more than the 45 min game of Pandemic. So we're open to story heavy games or games that take 90+ minutes

I introduced my gf to elder sign this weekend, she really enjoyed it, but is not very heavy just dice rolling. Arkham LCG is great though imo.

Blizzard

Banned

I'd suggest looking into Gloomhaven -- it's very combat-focused, but there's also a story that happens over 50+ campaign missions and you can make some decisions and developer your characters over time.

However, it's expensive since the second printing finished, and even if you find a game store selling it at the normal price (around $100) you might have to wait a while for it to be shipped.

You could also check out the new Portal printing of Robinson Crusoe. That game focuses on single scenarios instead of a long campaign.

Ordered the ernie the geek battlecon promo card from BGG along with the mysterium promos. Yeah I don't have Mysterium yet but I do plan to get it next pay check. My question to yall is how long does it normally take for BGG stuff to ship?

KJ869

This is a little curve ball but how about kingdom death: monster? Reprint should be on theyre own store in end of august-september Its co-op game of survival in bizarre enviroment of nightmares where everything is against you and it creates interesting narrative from that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncW3pZFA_nM&t=903s is decent video that explains the basics and shows the tutorial compat. Game is campaing game that is dividedto 2 phases. 90-180minutes huntphase and then theres settlement phase where you try to decide what to weapons to make and how to manage the meakers resources (15+ minutes depending how long you depate on your choises and events)

I would not recomend gloomhaven for 2. I have found its mutch better with more than 2 charachters as there can actualy be a healer on group and still be enought damage output. Playing more than 2 in Gloomhaven does not really work, at least for our group. Im personally going to replace my ongoing gloomhaven campaing with KDM when it arrives in august-september. Gloomhaven just for us feels too cliche narratively and the combat gets repetitive too easily.

Blizzard

Banned
I would not recomend gloomhaven for 2. I have found its mutch better with more than 2 charachters as there can actualy be a healer on group and still be enought damage output. Playing more than 2 in Gloomhaven does not really work, at least for our group. Im personally going to replace my ongoing gloomhaven campaing with KDM when it arrives in august-september. Gloomhaven just for us feels too cliche narratively and the combat gets repetitive too easily.
I'm confused about the two things you bolded. Or do you mean you feel Gloomhaven only works with 3+ players, but you can't find 3+ players who want to play it?

I respectfully disagree. In our 2-player games with Tinker and Rogue, we've had enough healing and had no problems with damage output. Of course some other combinations might be tougher.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

Legendary: Alien.

Absolutely fantastic coop game with twists and turns and replayability via different setups. Easily one of my favourite coop games. Dead of Winter without a traitor is also a really damn nice choice.

zulux21

This is a little curve ball but how about kingdom death: monster? Reprint should be on theyre own store in end of august-september Its co-op game of survival in bizarre enviroment of nightmares where everything is against you and it creates interesting narrative from that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncW3pZFA_nM&t=903s is decent video that explains the basics and shows the tutorial compat. Game is campaing game that is dividedto 2 phases. 90-180minutes huntphase and then theres settlement phase where you try to decide what to weapons to make and how to manage the meakers resources (15+ minutes depending how long you depate on your choises and events)

unless you are at the money is no object stage of wealth I really don't think I could recommend kingdom death monster to anyone.

it isn't a bad game, and I have enjoyed my time well enough playing my friends copy, but it isn't amazing either.
and at what $300 for the entry level plus like $600 for the rest of the content... just not something I could recommend.

as for gloomhaven, I haven't actually played it yet, but I would imagine if you only have two players, and the game really only plays well with 3 or 4. you could just do what my wife and I typically do and that is one or both of us control an extra character.

I do find
Gloomhaven just for us feels too cliche narratively and the combat gets repetitive too easily
amusing though.

I suppose cliche isn't the right word for kingdeath, but tryhard maybe. kingdom death is a theme that at first seems alright, and then you realize that it was seemingly written by 8th graders trying to be edgy.

the combat is alright, but at least with the original version the difficulty curve of the enemies meant you were doing the same battles over and over and over.

The Ravens of Thri Sahashri
it's like $15 on amazon.
it's a co op 2 person game.
it has a nice little story, and mechanics that are way more deep than one would think by looking at it (I recommend looking up the how to play video posted by the creators)
and after you win you get to open up stuff that gives you more story and places more rules on you for the next game meaning it has decent replayability.

Aaron

If you liked Arkham Card game, I'd recommend Eldritch Horror. It's a meaty board game that plays just fine with two imo.

KJ869

I'm confused about the two things you bolded. Or do you mean you feel Gloomhaven only works with 3+ players, but you can't find 3+ players who want to play it?

I respectfully disagree. In our 2-player games with Tinker and Rogue, we've had enough healing and had no problems with damage output. Of course some other combinations might be tougher.

I did mean that its hard for 2 person to control 4 charachters and the sweetpot seems to be 3-4 not really 2 from our experiende.

XShagrath

I'm playing a Gloomhaven campaign with 2 and it's pretty much perfect. We're playing the Cragheart and Mindthief. Most games are very tense and coming down to the last couple of turns, which is a wonderful feeling.

I did mean that its hard for 2 person to control 4 charachters and the sweetpot seems to be 3-4 not really 2 from our experiende.
I totally agree that 4 player is sweetspot for Gloomhaven, though it played just fine with 2. We would do guest cameo appearance when our in law drop by, the game handle drop in and drop out perfectly.

joelseph

I will just jump in on every page and proclaim Terraforming Mars as my favorite game of all time!

Patiently awaiting my shipment from Gametrayz and then I will post pimped out pics of my TM game.

In other news, played Twilight Struggle for the second time tonight and really enjoy the depth of this game. Barely scratching the surface and I want more!

joelseph

the-captain-is-dead-3d-box-v2-small.png

Pandemic in space with 18 different playable characters! Plus it's different enough to scratch that coop itch!

Karkador

Banned

Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective

Top Bottom