• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
One of the many flavor of the month hyped up games, sold out, stores restocked big time, but the players cooled off on it heavily or found out it was not the greatest, so stores now got alot of non moving product.

Don't think it ever sold out, did it? It definitely never made it to be flavor of the month, that's for sure.

EYEL1NER

As of a few days ago, my FLGS still had a sealed copy for sale -- I'm guessing around $90CAD (it's been a while since I last looked at the price, but they stick pretty close to MSRP and generally only mark up to account for USD/CAD conversion rates). No expansion, though. 99% of the time we're playing 3-player, which is why I don't think I'll plan on getting it myself.

If you're interested in me buying and mailing it to you from Alberta, Canada, let me know. Pepboy sold me a copy of Glory to Rome almost 5 yrs ago, so it's due time I pay it forward. :)
I appreciate the offer, but I'm good at the moment. Although once I hype myself up to by it, I'll be kicking myself for not getting it at $80 I bet. New Armada and X-Wing waves release in the next week and a half, so those are priority number one on my buying list right now. Thanks again though.

Welcome aboard! Let me know if you have any rules questions or want to try the solo scenarios I've cobbled together.

Thanks! It just arrived now. I'll probably play a solitaire game each night until the weekend to try and get used to it before playing a game on the weekend. Will definitely get in touch!

Welcome to the best game!

tumblr_inline_o0omdcrsmD1rgapq4_540.jpg

I appreciate the offer, but I'm good at the moment. Although once I hype myself up to by it, I'll be kicking myself for not getting it at $80 I bet. New Armada and X-Wing waves release in the next week and a half, so those are priority number one on my buying list right now. Thanks again though.

Considering how slowly product moves in a town of 60,000 people, it still may be there in a year. Send me a PM down the line if you change your mind.

Question..
I've been reading about ashes rise of the phoenixborn card game..
REALLY positive stuff..
But..
No matter how much I read, it seems a dead game in Italy.. no one seems to play it...
Is it a generally dead game, or there is just a niche dedicated community?

Also mage knight..
Is there a scheduled reprint along the lines or my best bet are overpriced seller online?

Question..
I've been reading about ashes rise of the phoenixborn card game..
REALLY positive stuff..
But..
No matter how much I read, it seems a dead game in Italy.. no one seems to play it...
Is it a generally dead game, or there is just a niche dedicated community?

Also mage knight..
Is there a scheduled reprint along the lines or my best bet are overpriced seller online?

There is a massdrop for $109 that includes 3 sets

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/mage-knight-bundle

Just played my first solitaire game of A Feast for Odin. Ended up with 85 points. Could have been worse but could have been better. Looking forward to digging into it more and more.

95 points in my second game. I suppose thats progress. I didn't do any exploring this time but built some housing and ended up with no negative point modifiers by the end, but it took some real mental puzzling to figure out just how to fill everything in in the last two turns. I'm not even sure how I did it now, looking back.

Looking forward to trying it with a couple of friends over the weekend but I can see A Feast for Odin and Mage Knight being my go to solitaire games for a very long time.

Ohnonono

95 points in my second game. I suppose thats progress. I didn't do any exploring this time but built some housing and ended up with no negative point modifiers by the end, but it took some real mental puzzling to figure out just how to fill everything in in the last two turns. I'm not even sure how I did it now, looking back.

Looking forward to trying it with a couple of friends over the weekend but I can see A Feast for Odin and Mage Knight being my go to solitaire games for a very long time.

How are you enjoying it? I think it is one of the best super-euro games that still exudes a really cool theme. I feel like a viking lord when I play that game. Not an abstract point farmer.

How are you enjoying it? I think it is one of the best super-euro games that still exudes a really cool theme. I feel like a viking lord when I play that game. Not an abstract point farmer.

I'm loving it so far, having only played two games over this evening. I think it is very good. Watching videos and reading rulebooks is one thing but playing it and seeing how different strategies could play out in my mind is really satisfying.

I totally agree about the theme. It really does feel like you are trying to run a viking colony and has a great feeling to it. I am very excited to keep playing.

Ohnonono

I'm loving it so far, having only played two games over this evening. I think it is very good. Watching videos and reading rulebooks is one thing but playing it and seeing how different strategies could play out in my mind is really satisfying.

I totally agree about the theme. It really does feel like you are trying to run a viking colony and has a great feeling to it. I am very excited to keep playing.

Awesome. It is my desert island game.

One of the many flavor of the month hyped up games, sold out, stores restocked big time, but the players cooled off on it heavily or found out it was not the greatest, so stores now got alot of non moving product.

It was never flavor of the month nor sold out. It was hype as the next legacy style game and sold out at convention but when review start to come out the hype was deflated. Store order a lot because they were riding on Pandemic Legacy popularity. They should have bet on Gloomhaven instead but hindsight and all.

I played First Class (Orient Express) again last week at the Euro Day. The game was my big disappointment purchase and I was going to sell or trade it away but the game finally click and I think may be it was the player count. We played with 3 and 4 player and this time it was much more engaging. I also picked up expansion for Tyrants of the Underdark and was sad to see that the new cards are completely difference than the core box which is totally suck for deckbuilder game. Luckily I have bunch of opaque sleeves I picked up on clearance and was intent for Legendary Marvel but never got use because we hardly ever play it after we got Encounter Aliens.

Bii

If it hits this on Amazon I'll probably grab it lol. Still $35 on Amazon, which is how much the CardHaus site wants to charge to ship the game...

I'd buy it too. lol
Not that I need any more games as I still have a stack that have yet to be played for various reasons.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So I keep wanting to order A Feast for Odin, but I worry about a few things.

• Does it feel like you have to pick a certain tactic and run with it in order to do well, or can you diversify and hybridize your strategy?
  • When playing 2p, does it have direct competition, or is it passive? Gauging my current collection and what my wife likes to play, is it more like Ticket to Ride or Suburbia in that regard?
  • How long does a 2p game take? What about solo?
  • Do games feel same-y?

Blizzard

Banned
So I keep wanting to order A Feast for Odin, but I worry about a few things.

• Does it feel like you have to pick a certain tactic and run with it in order to do well, or can you diversify and hybridize your strategy?
  • When playing 2p, does it have direct competition, or is it passive? Gauging my current collection and what my wife likes to play, is it more like Ticket to Ride or Suburbia in that regard?
  • How long does a 2p game take? What about solo?
  • Do games feel same-y?
I HAVE BEEN SUMMONED

1. It depends on the occupations. The highest scores typically involving using the occupations you draw well, but the solo challenges have taught me there are ways to do well despite all sorts of arbitrary restrictions.

2. It is passive competition for spaces, but as players become more skilled they can start bumping heads over the most valuable and efficient spaces, certain islands, etc. There isn't permanent scumbag blocking like Ticket to Ride besides islands, and those come with downsides. Overall it is low conflict with a puzzle focus which is perfect for me, but may disappoint people wanting to actively sabotage someone.

3. Once people know how to play, maybe 1.5 hours 2p, 1 hour solo if you don't stop and think too long.

4. I don't think games feel same-y. You can find a solid strategy and choose to do it every game for a reasonable but non-optimal score assuming you're not blocked, but that's kind of on the player. The solo score people have submitted have shown me that there are many ways to score well even ignoring some major game mechanics or spaces, e.g. no boats or no dice actions.

fenners

Got some great gaming in over the long holiday weekend, mainly because my family was out of town & I wasn't ;)

Star Wars Rebellion. My second game, against a more experience opponent. I did alright, pushing him in the right places, turning Leia to the Dark Side early, and he was clearly trying to draw attention to one planet, which clearly meant it was a ruse. I was right ;) But I found out after I placed my super star destroyer near it, and after moving my death star towards the general area. In the end, the base was Dantooine, a non-populous planet on the fringe. The clock was running out, I couldn't move my forces over there in time, and on my last action before he won, after clearing the meager space forces, I activated a mission that let me move limited ground troops to any rebel planet. It was just enough to break through the defences, leaving him in a situation where he could only roll black dice against a mixed red/black attack, and I won. Ridiculously close game, telling a ridiculously fun story. My opponent was great to play against, we always have fun with this & War of the Ring. FFG nailed this one IMO

Anachrony. Played right after Rebellion lol. 4 player, 3 of us noobs (including me). Wow. The production values are top notch, with gorgeous minis that tokens slot into the top of (and are utterly pointless, getting in the way of the board), 100% readable iconography, and a manual that reads really well the few times we needed to reach for it. At its heart, it's the same engine building we've seen many times, but it pushes players towards limited spots for actions, causing dilemmas of choice - do I go for this action I'd like now because I won't get it later vs the one I need etc with actions getting utterly locked off later in the game,

All with a time travel mechanic that works far better than any other time travel game I've played. Take income now, with the hope of paying it back later, before taking a big VP hit at the end of the game, but make sure you build the ability to hop back in time enough to reach those payback spots. And don't forget the more early income you take, the higher risk you are for dangerous time anomalies with nasty punishments.

I utterly dig & need to play again soon.

Android Netrunner. Buddy is desperate to play the new campaign, so he grabbed me a core deck. We played a basic game, me as the runner, to get back into the mechanics & rules after a couple of years away. I lost horribly. Cracked open the campaign set, it's got an insane amount of air in the box, looks interesting, and a good way to engage us.

La Granja. Me vs 2 experienced players. It's not quite just another soulless euro, it pulls together some attempt at theme, but it's the same cube pushin' mechanics I've seen in countless other games, done well.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I would like to double down on Anachrony. Even though it is a worker placement game, it still feels pretty fresh. Each turn is exciting, especially when you start getting clever with the time travel stuff.

two topics questions..
1) dice forge? yes? no? expansions necessary to make the game fresh?
2) star wars destiny.. a lot of friends from abroad are really enjoying it, but from the gist of it it's just the classic TCG with start wars flavour.. or i'm missing something? plus after playing lcg games and deck building without collection games i'm quite perplexed about my ability to again buy//collect like old mtg....

Experien

Sounds like the Myth franchise really is going into someone else's hands. Not official yet but their latest update leaned in that direct. Though it didn't seem like they would be changing the structure, just different support?

two topics questions..
1) dice forge? yes? no? expansions necessary to make the game fresh?
2) star wars destiny.. a lot of friends from abroad are really enjoying it, but from the gist of it it's just the classic TCG with start wars flavour.. or i'm missing something? plus after playing lcg games and deck building without collection games i'm quite perplexed about my ability to again buy//collect like old mtg....

I see you watched Man vs Meeple? I ordered Dice Forge and should be here Friday but not sure when I will get to the table.

Destiny has its own thread here if you want to read about it. I don't have much experience with other TCG or CCGs but I like Destiny with friends. I don't get into the meta enough to play against strangers who have cards I've never seen before. But the components are nice and there is a lot of options with the dice.

sneaky77

I got Dice Forge last night at the store, didn't get to play yet, but seems like an easy gateway weight game I can get my gf into

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I HAVE BEEN SUMMONED

1. It depends on the occupations. The highest scores typically involving using the occupations you draw well, but the solo challenges have taught me there are ways to do well despite all sorts of arbitrary restrictions.

2. It is passive competition for spaces, but as players become more skilled they can start bumping heads over the most valuable and efficient spaces, certain islands, etc. There isn't permanent scumbag blocking like Ticket to Ride besides islands, and those come with downsides. Overall it is low conflict with a puzzle focus which is perfect for me, but may disappoint people wanting to actively sabotage someone.

3. Once people know how to play, maybe 1.5 hours 2p, 1 hour solo if you don't stop and think too long.

4. I don't think games feel same-y. You can find a solid strategy and choose to do it every game for a reasonable but non-optimal score assuming you're not blocked, but that's kind of on the player. The solo score people have submitted have shown me that there are many ways to score well even ignoring some major game mechanics or spaces, e.g. no boats or no dice actions.

Awesome - thanks for your thoughts.

Game was available on Prime, so I bought a copy. Let's see how this goes...

Wow, Gen Con 4-day badges have sold out for the first time ever. http://www.gencon.com/press/4daysellout Its gonna be buck wild this year, and validate every bad thing that's ever been said about it in this thread. I'll probably still love it. :D

Wow, damn. I'm really looking forward to going this year, it's going to be crazy! Last year was some of the most fun I've ever had apart from having to uber in every day, but we're skywalk attached this year.

How's robinson crusoe? I've read good things, but I've also read that's very random.
Like, if we compare it with Eldritch Horror, how random?

edit: also, speaking of mage knight, what's the supposed retail price?

Sounds like the Myth franchise really is going into someone else's hands. Not official yet but their latest update leaned in that direct. Though it didn't seem like they would be changing the structure, just different support?

I see you watched Man vs Meeple? I ordered Dice Forge and should be here Friday but not sure when I will get to the table.

Destiny has its own thread here if you want to read about it. I don't have much experience with other TCG or CCGs but I like Destiny with friends. I don't get into the meta enough to play against strangers who have cards I've never seen before. But the components are nice and there is a lot of options with the dice.
For dice forge I'm still undecided..
Is it a ew take on seasons, or a downgrade from seasons?
Choices choices

AMUSIX

How's robinson crusoe? I've read good things, but I've also read that's very random.
Like, if we compare it with Eldritch Horror, how random?

edit: also, speaking of mage knight, what's the supposed retail price?

Robinson Crusoe is probably my favorite co-op game, but I do understand when people don't like the 'random' difficulty.

The game consists of a series of 'days', and each day, you can choose to have your character do two things. If you and another player team up on things, you remove randomness, get guaranteed successes, but also move at half speed. If you do something alone, you roll for success, and to see if you need to draw a card, have a random encounter, and set up a future random encounter.

I've had games where everything goes right for us, and we have a pleasant vacation on a tropical isle. Other games are one horrible situation after the next...we tend not to win those. Most games, however, are a bit of a mix, and we've learned to team up on certain vital jobs.

Ultimately, though, this is the co-op game we play with the least quarterbacking. The fact is, every option you have for your day is useful to the group in some way. Yes, someone's got to get food, and someone else should probably build something, but, for the most part, every round starts with "So, what do you want to do today?" with very few wrong answers.

AMUSIX

The kitchen sink kickstarter for Ember: Mage Nights just arrived. I think there were only 2 of us here who backed it?

I backed it (well the previous round...but got the other stuff that came). It's quickly become a favorite of the group, though set-up remains a bit fiddly. I'm toying with a few house rules to see if tweaking makes things better or worse, but, really it doesn't need it.

Blizzard

Banned
I backed it (well the previous round...but got the other stuff that came). It's quickly become a favorite of the group, though set-up remains a bit fiddly. I'm toying with a few house rules to see if tweaking makes things better or worse, but, really it doesn't need it.
Quick question about the package contents, are there supposed to be 3 ember shard cards? The 1.6 rules mention using 3 for 5 players, but the package only included 2 shards.

About setup, I haven't gone over the rules in detail yet. I'm still not 100% clear on which creatures I'm supposed to use, whether I'm supposed to only select certain sets or expansions for any given game, etc.

Another question, your basic 3-conjure, 3VP cards are obviously mixed together. But what if you have expansion cards that are 3VP, 4+archmage conjure? Are all [3VP, 4+archmage] cards mixed, or are all [3VP, 4] cards mixed regardless of any extra conjure cost?

*edit* Apparently the 3rd shard card was a promo opportunity I missed, but the designer replied back to me already and said he only plays with 2 shards anyway.

ultron87

You'll have an amazing time - don't let the naysayers ruin the experience for you! Just go into it knowing that it's going to be pretty insane.

Wow, damn. I'm really looking forward to going this year, it's going to be crazy! Last year was some of the most fun I've ever had apart from having to uber in every day, but we're skywalk attached this year.

Oh yeah I'm super pumped. Honestly as a weekend where I get to hang out with 9 of my best friends from around the country and play board games it'd be super tough for it not to be a great time. This might result in me just avoiding the dealer hall even more than normal though. Guess I'll just have to play more RPGs On Demand!

AMUSIX

I might have three shards, but have experimented playing with 2, and at one point you're running through the deck fast enough that it doesn't seem to make much difference.

As for which creatures to use. For your first game or two, play with just the core set. Then you're supposed to add in creatures by expansion, while removing core ones to keep the numbers correct. We've just taken to shuffling all 3s together and then randomly selecting from them, with the one exception of the Spectral creatures. If we decide to use the Spectrals, we just add them after (the piles will have one additional creature.

Oh, and the piles are divided by conjuring costs.

Robinson Crusoe is probably my favorite co-op game, but I do understand when people don't like the 'random' difficulty.

The game consists of a series of 'days', and each day, you can choose to have your character do two things. If you and another player team up on things, you remove randomness, get guaranteed successes, but also move at half speed. If you do something alone, you roll for success, and to see if you need to draw a card, have a random encounter, and set up a future random encounter.

I've had games where everything goes right for us, and we have a pleasant vacation on a tropical isle. Other games are one horrible situation after the next...we tend not to win those. Most games, however, are a bit of a mix, and we've learned to team up on certain vital jobs.

Ultimately, though, this is the co-op game we play with the least quarterbacking. The fact is, every option you have for your day is useful to the group in some way. Yes, someone's got to get food, and someone else should probably build something, but, for the most part, every round starts with "So, what do you want to do today?" with very few wrong answers.

That doesn't seem more random than Eldritch Horror!
Another question, what happens if a player dies? Is there a way to let them play or they have to watch till the end of the game?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Wow, Gen Con 4-day badges have sold out for the first time ever. http://www.gencon.com/press/4daysellout Its gonna be buck wild this year, and validate every bad thing that's ever been said about it in this thread. I'll probably still love it. :D

This is gonna be my first year o_O

That doesn't seem more random than Eldritch Horror!
Another question, what happens if a player dies? Is there a way to let them play or they have to watch till the end of the game?

Game over if anyone dies

H1PSTER

Anyone know of the SuperHot card game that got kickstarted will be printing and shipping to the US anytime?

B&D said shipping can take "up to 4 weeks" but they think it'll be 2-3; then you have shipping to your country on top of that.

If your order on the website says "verified" it means everything is packed and ready to go to the boat.

Fou-Lu

Looking for some good two player games for my GF and I. We still haven't found a regular group since moving a year ago and so mostly only play with eachother. Because we lack two player games at this point in time we mostly play Tides of Time, Cribbage, and Hive. We aren't intimidated by complexity, but we do like novel gameplay concepts and a strong theme.

Blizzard

Banned
Looking for some good two player games for my GF and I. We still haven't found a regular group since moving a year ago and so mostly only play with eachother. Because we lack two player games at this point in time we mostly play Tides of Time, Cribbage, and Hive. We aren't intimidated by complexity, but we do like novel gameplay concepts and a strong theme.
Tzolk'in is a novel worker placement game with a strong theme.

Race for the Galaxy and the first expansion have decent theme in my opinion.

7 Wonders Duel has good mechanics and a unique drafting system, though I'm not sure if the theme is strong enough for you.

The Valley of the Kings deckbuilder series (2 standalone expansions, which you can also mix and match) are tiny, cheap, have unique mechanics, and have solid theme with the art and text.

AMUSIX

Onitama is our current vs favorite, followed by Seven Wonders Duel. Onitama feeds the same need as Hive, so if you like that, look into it. Seven Wonders Duel is a bit more complex, and you'll find that if one of you grasps the strategies more than the other, the games will be very heavily out of balance.

Our favorite 2-player co-op, BY FAR, is Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective (and it's sequel'). If you want to solve a puzzle with your GF, this is fantastic. Yes, there are only 10 cases, and yes, you have to print up a fix for Case 3, but each one is such a great night (or two or three, in our case) that it's absolutely worth it.

Finally, others we'd recommend are Babel (if you two are OK to be evil to each other...this one can start fights, as the only way to win is to completely fuck over the other person) and recently we've been playing a lot of Mint Workz, which plays 1-4 quite well.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

Agility and Suburbia are favorites between my wife and I.

Been digging more into solo-able deckbuilding style games...

noticed Gloom of Kilforth; what's the word on the street about it? it looks interesting but I don't know what to think of it yet.

Also, been slowly playing more LotR LCG and love it to death <3 Just got a friend to play as well so now I have a solid co-op buddy.

chifanpoe

Awww man... A copy of Chaos in the Old World popped up in a GeekAuction earlier. $50 starting bid, $80 BIN. I subscribed to the item and figured I'd keep an eye on it but didn't expect it to last long. It's sold by now. :(
One of these days I'll get my hands on it. FFG and GW parting ways was shitty enough news when it happened but I don't think copies of Chaos in the Old World were plentiful and super-abundant at that time anyway. I imagine I'm gonna have to overpay at some point soon or risk it becoming a $300 grail game in a few years and never being able to buy it. It's gonna be a hard pill to swallow once I finally convince myself to do it though.

Just helping you out ;) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Warhammer-C...806106&hash=item3d3e94b800:g:uaYAAOSwjvJZRXqv

Top Bottom