• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

EYEL1NER

Hey guys, is there a general consensus on the best 7 Wonders expansions? We love the game and would really enjoy adding to the experience.
Ha, I actually asked about that last week. Here's a reply from up that page:
Leaders is a nice option that changes things up with unique player powers/scoring. Cities adds more variety and complex buildings. Leaders is probably the better first expansion to add in, whereas Cities helps if you're getting bored of seeing the same cards. I'm fine playing with both or either (or neither), but I like base + Leaders best. Rome is a lame Wonder, though.
Every thing I've read about getting an expansion is that Leaders and Cities are the ones to prioritize over Babel.

Z3M0G

Card games OK in here?

So... I had Custom Heroes on order and it just came in... I already knew I wanted it after stumbling along the Dice Tower review... but right now I was just watching the How It's Played video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=257&v=zufflG89MSc

I knew the mechanic already, but my mind is BLOWN when he basically referred to markers on the base cards as "slots"... and now I want this company to make a Hero / Adventure game where you get different sets of gear (swords, shields, etc) that you equip in each "slot" that literally change the look of your card using those pieces of gear! (much like some of the cards in this game already do) But instead of being a fun party game like this, being a hardcore adventure co-op style card game.

pic3699140_lg.jpg

This game already literally has "loot drops / pulls" where you draw a random insert card from a bag

Would be the ultimate "Diablo-style loot card game" imo! Something I really really want. :p

zulux21

Oh man, that is dangerous. Friend just got Marvel Legendary and we've been LOVING IT, but man he might just go all out and buy every expansion at those prices. Does anyone know if these expansions go on sale frequently?

Also for the Alien Expansion it states that you need the base game to play.

the marvel expansions go on sale from time to time, but those are some of the better prices I can recall.

I mean the fantastic 4 one is an amazing steal compared to last year as it was like $150 last year :p

but that was because it was out of print and assumed to never come back in print but for some reason marvel has allowed xmen and fantastic 4 stuff again this year.

personally I would mostly stick to the bigger box expansions for now.

the little ones are fine and if you really like the characters they are a fine set to play with, but the big boxes tend to be the best bang for your buck. plus... they are useful to separate out characters and villains and what not as you get more lol.

Lyng

Just ordered the 10 year anniversary edition of Notre Dame.
Not because of Notre Dame, but because it has a new trading routes mini expansion for Castles of Burgundy.

CoB is one of my all time favourites, but I allways hated the trading part, it just felt so unfinished. Well the expansion completely fixes my issues with it, and adds even more options for point/action comboing.

Just a heads up for others in here who love CoB.

Played the first scenario of Arkham Horror LCG solitaire, really enjoyed my time with it. I thought the standard difficulty first scenario was easy... until I took the bad end running out the front door with little health left. I can already tell yall are right that you NEED a second base game as your options are limited even if you want to use just the standard starter decks. I probably won't play more till next weekend cause I want to experience the story with my buddy who's also interested in the game.

JesseZao

Just ordered the 10 year anniversary edition of Notre Dame.
Not because of Notre Dame, but because it has a new trading routes mini expansion for Castles of Burgundy.

CoB is one of my all time favourites, but I allways hated the trading part, it just felt so unfinished. Well the expansion completely fixes my issues with it, and adds even more options for point/action comboing.

Just a heads up for others in here who love CoB.

I guess I need to try those new CoB tiles. Too much other stuff to play through that'd I haven't tried them yet.

Z3M0G

How does it work as a trick climbing game?
Im honestly not sure what "trick climbing" means but it goes something like this...

A plays two 2s
B plays two 3s
C needs to use a "mod" to increase a card by +2 and can now play two 5s
D has only one 5 but uses a -3 mod to turn an 8 into a 5 so can now play two 5s... which causes next player to miss turn...

Etc until someone gets rid of all their cards. I think being first to do so may earn you more mod cards for next turn (?) Once all players are out of cards, all the cards (including modofies ones) are shuffled / dealt out and you play the next round.

Edit: I just clued in, this game is Asshole with upgrades and powers. But without the king/asshole roles.

It didn't use to be this bad, game releases were way less common and there were two main players on the US market. Now things are crazy, I travel to the states for work every other month and I bring back a suitcase full of games every single time, games are so cheap there I can't help myself, I can't fight the opportunity cost.

It's kind of crazy to look at the original OT and this one. The experiences we share here are a glimpse of our personal life. I remember complaining about how expensive shipping to South America is, then living in the states for a couple of years, then back home again. Stooge was just starting his company. Astrolad was single, then married, then kids. etc.

joelseph

Im honestly not sure what "trick climbing" means but it goes something like this...

A plays two 2s
B plays two 3s
C needs to use a "mod" to increase a card by +2 and can now play two 5s
D has only one 5 but uses a -3 mod to turn an 8 into a 5 so can now play two 5s... which causes next player to miss turn...

Etc until someone gets rid of all their cards. I think being first to do so may earn you more mod cards for next turn (?) Once all players are out of cards, all the cards (including modofies ones) are shuffled / dealt out and you play the next round.

Edit: I just clued in, this game is Asshole with upgrades and powers. But without the king/asshole roles.

You are describing the trick climbing genre. It's a style of trick taking games. I wanted to know how you thought it stood up to other trick taking games. =)

joelseph

I am playing a Arkham LCG campaign at work as Skids O'Toole. We did the first act of Dunwich and I immediately came home and ordered it all. Jesus take the wheel.

joelseph

Asshole is more of a bluffing game. You should look into other trick taking games. They are super fun! Best part about them is they play quick. The longer I spend in the hobby the quicker I want my games to be.

Stooge's company published a good one, Diamonsters!

Blizzard

Banned
Asshole is more of a bluffing game. You should look into other trick taking games. They are super fun! Best part about them is they play quick. The longer I spend in the hobby the quicker I want my games to be.

Stooge's company published a good one, Diamonsters!
You should try Eclipse or Twilight Imperium. People apparently love those sorts of short, lightweight games. ;p

And wow at that Terraforming Mars price. No wonder it already sold out.

EYEL1NER

Figured I'd pass on the news: A poster on r/boardgames noticed that a new version of the Alien Frontiers app is up on the iOS App Store, called Alien Frontiers: KS Edition, and it seems to be free right now. iPad-only, I believe.
I just downloaded it and played a quick 4P game against Spacer-level AI. It plays great and looks like the Alien Frontiers that we all know and love. It's still one of my all-time faves.
Go and grab it and give it a play if you've never tried the physical version; it's worth it (especially for FREE!).

KJ869

[???]Kingdom Death Monster (if i find it at an affordable price)

Wait for theyre Blackfriday sale. It stil will be expensive, remember that the msrp for the core is 400. You probaly want to get gorm expansion and something else (Dungbeetle or Sunstalker) to go with it as well with those postage prices.

betapeter

Neo Member
I think the other trap we fall in with board game buying is that they can frequently go out of print.
I've definitely bought games that I didn't need at the time because I was scared of wanting to play them down the road but then not being able to buy them.
I think once you've gone past owning a dozen you start to develop a collector's mentality about it.

KJ869

I think the other trap we fall in with board game buying is that they can frequently go out of print.
I've definitely bought games that I didn't need at the time because I was scared of wanting to play them down the road but then not being able to buy them.
I think once you've gone past owning a dozen you start to develop a collector's mentality about it.
Places like BGG marketplace help with that, when you realise you can buy old games for a price. When you go over 100 games, after that the problem really is not buying new ones I would say. Problem is you should really start selling old ones out. Im now starting to learn the selling phase. Starting with games I have not played for let say 6 years. Only games I am not touching are wargame collction. Those games are so limited runs and so "ageless" that theyre prices seem to never fall, so I will either play them in 20 years with somebody or then sell them offf when In need of cash.

Maedhros

Why would I even sell my old ones?

I never felt, ONCE, that a new game in my collection made one older one obsolete. Usually, the game flows very differently, even with similar mechanics.

But that's just me.

zeeaykay

I never felt, ONCE, that a new game in my collection made one older one obsolete. Usually, the game flows very differently, even with similar mechanics.

But that's just me.
I think the idea is people only have limited time to play gaming. For me, Gloomhaven does the dungeon crawl better than Descent - so if I'm in the mood got a dungeon crawl I'm never going to play descent again. It's also easier for me to get it to the table because it need an overlord. To save space, and some money, I sold Descent.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

But that's just me.

I JUST got rid of all my Legendary stuff because Shadowrun and Aeon's End 100% killed it. Never would have pulled Legendary Encounters out again.

But that's just me.

As someone who's new to this hobby and doesn't even have 50 games yet, I could see myself selling or trading a few of my games. Some games I still have because I haven't spent the money on the newer version (doom the board game, telestrations 6p vs 12 player version). I can't think of a specific example but if you keep a game that's just okay because it does something unique or has a theme you like and then a new game that better does that mechanic or has that theme I can see that okay game going away (maybe og arkham horror -> eldrich horror ?)

Z3M0G

I should make this thread my home... All I do with my friends and near-by family lately is play board games and card games...

I must have posted my list in this thread recently...

Edit: Nope, it was another thread... so here:

My circle of friends and I are into more "complex" modern board games. I don't think any of us play "classic" family board games.

I like keeping a variety available (board games, dice games, card games):

>> simple games for large number of players, for parties, etc.
- Roll For It [dice/cards]
- Camel Cup (ie Camel Up) [board]
- Dixit [cards]

>> slightly complex games for smaller groups that typically play over a number of rounds:
- Smallworld [board]
- Dice Forge [board/dice]
- Oh My Goods [cards]
- Carcasone [tiles]
Not mine:
- 7 Wonders [cards]

>> More complex games, for the select few that are interested, when we are in the mood for something deeper:
- Quarriors [dice/cards]
- Hero Realms [cards]
- Pathfinder [cards]
- D&D Adventure [tiles/dice]

We enjoy the Apples to Apples / Cards Against Humanity / Choking Hazard etc genre as well, in short bursts.

I'll take a moment to plug my latest obsession, Dice Forge:

dif01_layout.png

dif01_diagram1_face-swap.png

So between Dice Forge and Custom Heroes, I have a Dice-crafting game, and a Card-crafting game... definitely two new genres I am excited to explore more!!

I JUST got rid of all my Legendary stuff because Shadowrun and Aeon's End 100% killed it. Never would have pulled Legendary Encounters out again.

While I agree Legendary Marvel is pretty crappy, I don't see how either Shadowrun and Aeon's End are better than Legendary. I am still surprise that you like both of them so much .

i hope you're in the us, else... ffs :p I'd have tried to get it since i plan to buy it at some point along the line...
also.. any good european site to buy board games?
I usually use amazon, egyp (ita, but sells non-ita stuff), giochiinscatola (ita, but sells non-ita stuff), and at times docmagic..
but i'm always open to some european site with good prices?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
While I agree Legendary Marvel is pretty crappy, I don't see how either Shadowrun and Aeon's End are better than Legendary. I am still surprise that you like both of them so much .

Well the real kicker is that Aeon’s End and Shadowrun are highly replayable where LE Alien and Firefly (the two I sold) were not at all. We did the scenarios and never looked back. Besides that, I feel that both games are far superior mechanically.

Shadowrun changes how you have to buy cards, and increases the urgency 10x for players. It completely eliminates the lackluster buildup phase of deckbuilders. You aren’t taking 4 or 5 turns until you are drawing into a decent hand and things are finally starting to happen. From the very first turn, almost everything you do is do or die in Shadowrun. It is the reason cards you buy go directly into your hand. You absolutely must have an impact. The game also breeds far more cooperation just in the way each player can interact with each obstacle on the board, Crossfire card willing. The crossfire deck also keeps the same escalation that LE has, in that the game gets crazier and crazier as it prolongs. It is just that in Shadowrun it was like that all along, from turn 1. All this without even mentioning that you have persistent, named characters that you can level up into different builds so that you can do the harder missions.

Aeon’s End is much more standard, at a glance. It was so standard that I brushed it off after seeing it. Finally played it and it was after that game I decided to get rid of my Legendary Stuff. This game took the nemesis fight feeling of Sentinels and made it great. Tons of market cards to set, we just do random setup each game. Pick a nemesis and even if it is one you fought before you are going to have to go in with a different approach because of the different market. The card effects are generally pretty creative and the bosses get ridiculous. Each Mage you pick has a unique card and a unique ability to go along with a unique breach setup. You are just confronted with more interesting decisions in a few turns of Aeon’s End than you are in an entire game of Legendary. You have to worry about buying and attacking, but also managing your breaches, charging your spells and powering up your unique abilities. This happens with a completely unique boss bearing down on you in a randomized turn order. The ability to stack you own deck is just a nice side note at that point.

All that said, I don’t dislike LE. I really enjoyed playing through Alien but these two games are just far and away better.

Any opinion's on the Tiny Epic games? I see them around pretty often, and I'm definitely intrigued by their portability and seemingly easy rules and fast play times, but are they any good?

Of the two I've played(tiny epic galaxies and tiny epic quest) I can highly recommend galaxies and recommend quest. The signature element of the TE games is that you are always playing even when it isn't your turn. In Galaxy one of the resources lets you copy the last die another player activated, in Quest everyone shares the damage done by enemies but then can all work on their individual quest based upon the remaining face up die like they rolled it. Both have strong replay value and a lot of paths to victory.

Blizzard

Banned
Of the two I've played(tiny epic galaxies and tiny epic quest) I can highly recommend galaxies and recommend quest. The signature element of the TE games is that you are always playing even when it isn't your turn. In Galaxy one of the resources lets you copy the last die another player activated, in Quest everyone shares the damage done by enemies but then can all work on their individual quest based upon the remaining face up die like they rolled it. Both have strong replay value and a lot of paths to victory.
I'll second this. Beyond the Black was also a decent expansion.

I'll second this. Beyond the Black was also a decent expansion.

I've not gotten this to the table, but from playing it solo I feel mixed on it. On the one hand I do like that it adds a lot more paths to victory and options for the players to upgrade their empire. On the negative I kind of liked TEG for it's simplicity and BtB adds a lot of extra rules and mechanics that have to be explained.

Blizzard

Banned
I've not gotten this to the table, but from playing it solo I feel mixed on it. On the one hand I do like that it adds a lot more paths to victory and options for the players to upgrade their empire. On the negative I kind of liked TEG for it's simplicity and BtB adds a lot of extra rules and mechanics that have to be explained.
I think I used it with new players and it's really not bad. There is a stack of things you can collect, there are pilot cards, there are optional robots for points, and there are the special ships which are the main feature.

Kind of interested in Tiny Epic Defenders but fuck waiting until July. I am impatient enough waiting for One Deck Dungeon and Deep Space D6. :(

frack me...
i forgot cerebria was ending tonight..
-.-"""""
smh, missed it..

To me, that looked like the quintessential example of a fancy pants kickstarter game that looks good and sells well and tempts everyone, but will probably only see the table once or twice.

But who am I to judge that, I preordered Big Trouble in Little China Deluxe Edition... ohboy,.

Taborcarn

So I just discovered the kickstarter for ELO Darkness... a MOBA board game (1vs1 or 2vs2)

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/222531/elo-darkness

This is the first MOBA board game I ever heard about... and it looks pretty awesome. But from what I gather, it is not the first? Has anyone here played another MOBA board game that they would like to recommend?

I personally haven't played them, but Rum & Bones and Guards of Atlantis seem pretty well reviewed. There was another one that was kickstarted that had some controversy because it blatantly ripped off art and mechanisms from some other games, but the name escapes me at the moment.

Z3M0G

I personally haven't played them, but Rum & Bones and Guards of Atlantis seem pretty well reviewed. There was another one that was kickstarted that had some controversy because it blatantly ripped off art and mechanisms from some other games, but the name escapes me at the moment.

Thanks!

Guards of Atlantis looks very nice, and supports a lot of players (2 to 9??), but it looks a little hardcore for me. Full movement, and a longer length game. Where I like the above one's simplicity and being limited to 10 turns.

I'm not digging the Pirate theme of Rum and Bones. But wow that has high score on BGG...

Isn't mechs vs minions essentially moba board game?

No.

But that's just me.

I used to feel this way also until recently. Eventually you will going to have to cycle out your old games because you ran out of room to store them. When I got heavily into this hobby two years ago my board game collection was about 30 or so games now I have over 100 games and something got to go. Also your taste of games might change and games you play also vary from group of people you play with.

To me, that looked like the quintessential example of a fancy pants kickstarter game that looks good and sells well and tempts everyone, but will probably only see the table once or twice.

But who am I to judge that, I preordered Big Trouble in Little China Deluxe Edition... ohboy,.

They make great games and I have to disagree. Games that get to the table once or twice are game like Twilight Imperium or Cilivilzation or the Colonist.
Trickerion got to the table more than twice since I learn the game. And we may be played Anachrony about five or six times (mainly because it's easier to teach than Trickerion.

When it come to KS or buying new games, lately I do keep in mind the people I will be playing with and try to buy games that will get to the table.

SumGamer

So I just discovered the kickstarter for ELO Darkness... a MOBA board game (1vs1 or 2vs2)

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/222531/elo-darkness

This is the first MOBA board game I ever heard about... and it looks pretty awesome. But from what I gather, it is not the first? Has anyone here played another MOBA board game that they would like to recommend?

It's been done quiet a lot. I haven't tried any of them but from watching the playthrough, it doesn't look quiet as fun as a tabletop game imo.

Top Bottom