• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

zulux21

I like it a lot and probably will pick up all the add-ons that I missed first time around. More cards is better.

so if you have it already, how is the card quality in general.

from what I have seen from the gameplay, it doesn't seem like card sleeves are super needed given you don't seem to be handling most of the cards all that frequently.

Blizzard

Banned
I still need to play a million Gloomhaven missions, 7th Continent doesn't look very appealing to me, and I'm not getting it. Join me on the dark side!

In other news, I got possibly my highest Race for the Galaxy score, 64, when other players had 40-something in a 3-player gmae. I don't usually go for VP chips but I did heavily that game, even without a 2-VP consume power to double.

Then the next game I lost, and the winning player had a crazy setup to draw 7 cards each time they traded in a single blue good.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Played Masive Darkness a couple times this weekend. We altered the loot rules because they were ridiculous, killed transmuting and adjusted the guard decks. Was fun, similar to Zombicide but certainly it’s own things. A lot more book keeping with each attack but that wasn’t too bad. The first game took forever because we were unboxing all the KS stuff as we went.

We also picked up Leaving Earth Colonies and Space Empires 4x. Those two I don’t think would have gone over very well with the Massive Darkness/Zombicide crowd lol

For those who care 7th continent ks now has new tiers for people who want to get everything without jumping through hoops with add on shenanigans at a slight discount.

Resident Evil 2 ks has optional buy Hunk and Tofu 4th survivor expansion for 10£

I'm more than happy to just back 7th continent at the rookie level plus the KS exclusive expansion from the last go round. If for some reason I ever "finish" the game, I can go to a convention and probably get more stuff.

KJ869

Rumours from german backer (claims have information from ulisses who is the European distribution) is that European ships are almost month later so if no more delays shipping starts middle november so games arrive late november/early december. Sad if True and more sucks that this info is not coming from the company. They only update on USA stuff.

Experien

from what I have seen from the gameplay, it doesn't seem like card sleeves are super needed given you don't seem to be handling most of the cards all that frequently.

I am going to buy card sleeves for the ACTION cards. The terrain cards and fog don't need it but the Action deck (the 35+ blue cards) are shuffled and dealt constantly. They mention that and you can the standard $10 (or whatever price) sleeve pack to get all the blue cards and some of the character cards.

Otherwise the quality of the cards are great!

zulux21

I am going to buy card sleeves for the ACTION cards. The terrain cards and fog don't need it but the Action deck (the 35+ blue cards) are shuffled and dealt constantly. They mention that and you can the standard $10 (or whatever price) sleeve pack to get all the blue cards and some of the character cards.

Otherwise the quality of the cards are great!

good to know. it looks like the cards are an odd shape in general, so if I back it I might just get the sleeves for that as well.

i've tried printing off the print and play twice and failed twice, so maybe I will just try it out on table top simulator instead >.<:

Experien

good to know. it looks like the cards are an odd shape in general, so if I back it I might just get the sleeves for that as well.

i've tried printing off the print and play twice and failed twice, so maybe I will just try it out on table top simulator instead >.<:

Totally get their sleeves, I think it is $10 for 200 odd sized sleeves. They are squares.

Blizzard

Banned
So Gloomhaven is a Legacy game? But it's replayable if you get the removable sticker set?
I think that should be true, but it's replayable in the sense of 60-90 missions taking an hour or more each. If I recall correctly, at least one poster mentioned they finished the campaign but didn't really want to replay since they had basically accomplished everything they wanted to.

In theory, 5-10 years from now, I might want to replay if I ever finish the campaign.

Blizzard

Banned
What about replaying to try out new character classes and such?
If I recall correctly, you can replay missions, so essentially late game unlocked characters can be created at whatever level you want, and you can then play through earlier missions or side missions. The only thing might be certain side missions that are locked if you pick the good vs evil path or something, though of course you could just rule that you're allowed to play them once you finish the campaign.

Not Experin but I can say the card quality is good. The cards are nice and thick and you really don't need sleeves unless you prefer it. I only sleeve card game that get shuffle a lot or get taken to the café. The card are not weird size they are square 80X80 and both Mayfair and Swan (not FFG) make sleeves that size that said, their price is pretty decent for 200 sleeves, however if you go all in and want to sleeve everything that is going to cost you a lot to get sleeves for all the cards.

EYEL1NER

Thanks, didn't even know the market existed. I'll dip in probably on this.
GeekAuctions are also an option. Someone just put up an auction on BGG that includes Space Hulk: Death Angel AND all four expansions. Starting bid is $70. If it gets bids, it could wind up being unreasonable. I don't think $70 is a bad price for the game with expansions though; a few of the expansions sold out everywhere after the announcement that FFG was losing the GW license.

zulux21

with the THE 7th CONTINENT I do have a question about the curses.

are you only supposed to play with a few of them, or are you supposed to play with all of them.

aka with the three expansions that add a curse card, do those just make the game longer and harder as you have more curses to deal with, or are you only supposed to select a few of them.

the alpha rules I found aren't very clear on that.

I think I have been doing it all wrong. With matte sleeves, is the matte side supposed to the front? Because I always use the matte side for the back of the card.

with the THE 7th CONTINENT I do have a question about the curses.

are you only supposed to play with a few of them, or are you supposed to play with all of them.

aka with the three expansions that add a curse card, do those just make the game longer and harder as you have more curses to deal with, or are you only supposed to select a few of them.

the alpha rules I found aren't very clear on that.

Everything I've read/heard sounds like each curse is a unique campaign with a unique starting location and goal location.

zulux21

Everything I've read/heard sounds like each curse is a unique campaign with a unique starting location and goal location.

that is what I have also managed to confirm since I asked.

it also sounds like only the 3 expansions have extra curses thus...

npyszJ8.png

if I feel like I need sleeves I will just get sleeves later, and if I really love the game I ideally will have a chance to get the other expansions later, but in general people don't feel like they add to much to the game and Fear the Devourers is apparently not a good expansion in general, were a number of people feeling it added nothing or even worse... made the game worse.

Llyranor

For 7th Continent, I've heard some of the no-curse mini-expansions don't really add much except maybe some frustration.

Anyway, I'm still on the fence as to whether to back it or not. It's a lot of money, and I'm wondering whether I would just simply enjoy a more mechanically-tight survival game like Robinson Crusoe (with much less emphasis on exploration, mind you, so maybe they're just not really comparable at all). I'm mostly hesitant because the time-limited nature of the KS campaign almost feels like it's trying to trick/guilt me into getting it, whereas it wouldn't be on my near-term radar in terms of priority if it was normally obtainable.

On the other hand, I'm kicking myself for missing the Gloomhaven reprint KS, seeing how some retail shops are offering it as preorder as a quite higher price already.

zulux21

For 7th Continent, I've heard some of the no-curse mini-expansions don't really add much except maybe some frustration.

Anyway, I'm still on the fence as to whether to back it or not. It's a lot of money, and I'm wondering whether I would just simply enjoy a more mechanically-tight survival game like Robinson Crusoe (with much less emphasis on exploration, mind you, so maybe they're just not really comparable at all). I'm mostly hesitant because the time-limited nature of the KS campaign almost feels like it's trying to trick/guilt me into getting it, whereas it wouldn't be on my near-term radar in terms of priority if it was normally obtainable.

On the other hand, I'm kicking myself for missing the Gloomhaven reprint KS, seeing how some retail shops are offering it as preorder as a quite higher price already.

I justified it this way.

given the limited run and the fact that not only will no board game store carry it, but the extra copies they have will be priced higher on their website, that the odds of me being able to recoop 100% or more of my pledge are quite high if I dislike the game.

last I saw the base game alone was going for like 200 pounds, it will obviously drop with the second run, but I can't imagine it will ever drop in price in any significant way.

if I feel like I need sleeves I will just get sleeves later, and if I really love the game I ideally will have a chance to get the other expansions later, but in general people don't feel like they add to much to the game and Fear the Devourers is apparently not a good expansion in general, were a number of people feeling it added nothing or even worse... made the game worse.

Just don’t get Ultra Pro sleeves if you do. They’re exact size, which means the card peeks out the top. This along with their long running tradition of uneven cut sleeves makes me point this out specifically.

Edit: yeah, I just backed Rookie. I intend to go all-in, but am waiting for the PM so they don’t tax all of my pledge

zulux21

Just don’t get Ultra Pro sleeves if you do. They’re exact size, which means the card peeks out the top. This along with their long running tradition of uneven cut sleeves makes me point this out specifically.

Edit: yeah, I just backed Rookie. I intend to go all-in, but am waiting for the PM so they don’t tax all of my pledge

ah you get taxed on it? then yeah the PM will likely be the way to go, though their FAQ does mention you should pledge the extra amount on kickstarter.

and I don't know what sleeves I would get, likely just something cheap. we will have to see. but it doesn't sound like you need 200 sleeves for the action cards you handle a lot, so I will figure out something.

ah you get taxed on it? then yeah the PM will likely be the way to go, though their FAQ does mention you should pledge the extra amount on kickstarter.

Ah, I meant they do. 10% of the money I pledge in the initial KS goes to KS, so I tend to tack add-ons through BackerKits. I’m not 100% sure how it impacts me! &#129300;

and I don't know what sleeves I would get, likely just something cheap. we will have to see. but it doesn't sound like you need 200 sleeves for the action cards you handle a lot, so I will figure out something.

There are a ton of companies now that do square sleeves. Fantasy Flight and Board Games Sleeves (forgot their real name) are two I can find in my LGS

zulux21

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-5_DEJukwQ

This review of 7th Continent is making the game's scope and length feel like a weakness (gets grindy/tedious, 5-hr red herring time-waster potential). Anyone who's played the game able to comment on that?

I mean, I haven't played it, but obviously if you aren't alright with going on an adventure and failing after 5 hours and having to restart this game will clearly both you. Most people seem to need to play each curse at least 3 times to be able to do them, each of those runs take like 5-7 hours.

Ah, I meant they do. 10% of the money I pledge in the initial KS goes to KS, so I tend to tack add-ons through BackerKits. I’m not 100% sure how it impacts me! &#129300;

There are a ton of companies now that do square sleeves. Fantasy Flight and Board Games Sleeves (forgot their real name) are two I can find in my LGS

ah, I was just mentioning they clearly state they want people to up their kickstarter pledges for such things, so you might want to double check that you can up your pledge after the fact.

I imagine you will be able to but still doesn't hurt to check.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-5_DEJukwQ

This review of 7th Continent is making the game's scope and length feel like a weakness (gets grindy/tedious, 5-hr red herring time-waster potential). Anyone who's played the game able to comment on that?

This is the one negative review of the game I've seen and it appears to be an outlier opinion. Everything has outlier opinions good or bad at the end of the day. Best choice you have is to find reviewers who's taste align with yours and see what they say.

Li Kao

Another game club to meet tonight. My social anxiety gave me hell these last three days but I'm pumped up.
Seems like there are more members and they look to be into more complex boardgames. Not that the other one was all party games but I get a feeling I will be more interested in this one.

Now I could also try some Friday Night Magic (really terrified by what I fear is a veteran crowd but hey, some pics featured children, nice) but this game club is also meeting on Fridays. Decisions, decisions...

So meet ups on Tuesdays, Fridays, Saturdays. And then next week is horror games week with plenty of special events. Oh fuck, I forgot that Paper Tales is promoted in a game café on Thursday I think. This town is chock full of gaming events.
I hope I will be able to bury my social anxiety and spit on its grave soon.

And as an added bonus, membership in these clubs give access to a nice 10% discount in the best store in town, making internet pricing less advantageous.
Pumped.

Now if I could return back home at 00:00-01:00 without having to take the tram and fear for my life, everything would be perfect.

Llyranor

This is the one negative review of the game I've seen and it appears to be an outlier opinion. Everything has outlier opinions good or bad at the end of the day. Best choice you have is to find reviewers who's taste align with yours and see what they say.
I think I am mostly trying to talk myself out of impulsively backing 7th Continent.

But upon further reflection, I don't think I will back the game. I just don't want to shell a considerably large amount of money for it when I'm not completely sold on it just because it's time-limited.

Another game club to meet tonight. My social anxiety gave me hell these last three days but I'm pumped up.
Seems like there are more members and they look to be into more complex boardgames. Not that the other one was all party games but I get a feeling I will be more interested in this one.
It's nice to read your stories. Keep up the good progress and keep us updated!

Experien

do you use the expansions in the game right away, or are they things you add one by one to change the feel a bit?

Put everything in its space right away. How the game works is the cards tell you what cards to pull. So even having the expansion in the box, it won't ask you to grab them unless you are using a card that asks for it.

When you play, you pick one a curse to solve and it will tell you your starting square which tells you the surrounding squares and so on. Base game has 4 curses, expansions all together add 3 or more curses. I have not played more than one curse but I imagine they could have a different starting location.

All cards are numbered but some cards have more than one copy of it (ie: 3 copies of card #050). This allows from some different replayability but if you keep failing a curse, there will be some retreading of old ground.

ultron87

I hope you're able to overcome your anxiety! I struggle with that a lot too and basically every time I'm about to go to a game meetup, especially if it's a new one where I'd potentially be playing stuff with strangers, I have that internal struggle of "maybe I should just stay home". Honestly that anxiety is probably part of the reason I love board games so much. They provide a nice structure for social interaction where you can get to know people without having to make conversation, which I'm not the best at. Instead the games provide that conversation by both being an activity and a point of common interest.

Now I could also try some Friday Night Magic (really terrified by what I fear is a veteran crowd but hey, some pics featured children, nice) but this game club is also meeting on Fridays. Decisions, decisions...

FNMs are generally pretty chill, so you shouldn't have that much to worry about. It definitely varies from store to store in terms of competitiveness and terms of crowd, but in general if you let opponents know you're a newer player or whatnot they will be totally cool.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
3 hour game of Black Plague after work with my coworkers yesterday. Ended in defeat. Everyone still feeling the effects the day after lol

XShagrath

Had to stop that review, it was like a bad copy of SUSD
I felt the same way. I found out about No Pun Included through a joint video with rahdo. I ended up watching a few videos, and just can't get into the humor. I want my board game reviews/playthroughs to be very dry and just talk about the game itself. I'll get my laughs elsewhere.

ultron87

I think I'll wait till the inevitable next time for the 7th Continent extra stuff. The odds of me even getting through all the content from the original game and this What Goes Up big expansion are honestly pretty low even if I super love it.

KJ869

I went with 1 dollariws as there did not seems to be anything you cant buy from pledge manager and this month with cthulhu Wars pledge manager , kingdom death shipping and next months joan de arc im hoping theyre manager is late enough

zulux21

I think I'll wait till the inevitable next time for the 7th Continent extra stuff. The odds of me even getting through all the content from the original game and this What Goes Up big expansion are honestly pretty low even if I super love it.

that was why I didn't back all the other mini expansions, but given each curse seems to add aroudn 20 hours of gameplay, I decided the 3 expansions that have curses seem to be worth it.

Ah, I meant they do. 10% of the money I pledge in the initial KS goes to KS, so I tend to tack add-ons through BackerKits. I'm not 100% sure how it impacts me! &#55358;&#56596;

just wanted to update you from the recent update

Late Pledges
It will be possible for those that pledged 1$ at least to access the pledge manager.
However only the ”Rookie" and ”Veteran" pledges will be available.

[Cliquez ici pour voir cette actu en français]
We've already answered many of your questions concerning the campaign in the ”So Many Questions #1" and the ”So Many Questions #2" updates.
As we come up to the final hours of the Kickstarter project, we wanted to update you on what will be happening between the end of the campaign and the opening of the Pledge Manager.
After the Kickstarter
Project updates
We'll be updating you, at least once per month, on the state of the project and how it is moving forward as well as other pertinent information.
Wave 1 production
The campaign will be ending on the 19th of October and there will be a delay of about two weeks before we receive the funds from Kickstarter that will finance production. Before the campaign, we reserved a certain ”quantity" of games (equivalent to a timeframe if you will) with Panda.
At this time, we have gone above this initial quantity but Panda assures us that they are capable of producing everything before Chinese New Year. To do so however, manufacturing has to begin on the 1st of November.
Whatever the case, even if the required amount of games becomes too much, we'll make sure that as many as possible leave before Chinese New Year and any others as soon as possible once the factories reopen. However, just like in the first campaign, we will sacrifice neither the production quality of the game, nor the quality control process, just to gain a bit of time.
To give you a better idea of the timetable:
&#8226; 19th of October: this campaign ends.
&#8226; 1st of November: Production of the base box begins
&#8226; Mid/End November: Pledge Manager opens for a duration of around 1 month.
&#8226; Mid January: The end of 2 and a half months of production and assembly for the base game (slightly less for the optional purchases not featuring cards; Dice, Notebook, Folder, Playmat and card sleeves).
&#8226; End of January: The games leave China by boat. It will take around 3 to 6 weeks for them to arrive at their destinations.
&#8226; Then all is left is for the games to clear customs and be shipped to their respective distribution centers. Packages should start being sent out to backers around the middle or March for wave 1!
The schedule is tight but doable, as long as noting else is added to wave 1!
It's for this reason that any additional card based content (stretch goal or otherwise) is planned for wave 2 (except for the ”Free upgrade pack" that will be ready for wave 1).
The Pledge Manager
What is a ”Pledge Manager"?
Simply put, it is a tool that allows us to easily collect all the information necessary to get your games to you. Such as your shipping details, what language you'd like to receive the game in or the optional buys you'd like to purchase.
Please bear in mind that we will only be using the information given to us through the Pledge Manager, not from your Kickstarter account.
What pledge manager platform will you be using?
Like for the first campaign we'll be using CrowdOx which provided a very satisfactory result.
Note: There will be no Kickstarter survey at the end of this campaign; we will go directly to the Pledge Manager.
Completing the pledge manager as soon as possible.
As you're no doubt aware now, the timing for Wave 1 is very tight.
Therefore, we'll be asking you to keep an eye out for the arrival of the pledge manager invitation (there will be an update post campaign informing you of its arrival) mid November and that you fill it out as soon as possible.
If you don't complete your pledge manager in time, this could cause your pledge to be delivered after those that did supply their information in time (depending on quantities and Chinese New Year).
Late Pledges
It will be possible for those that pledged 1$ at least to access the pledge manager.
However only the ”Rookie" and ”Veteran" pledges will be available.
Note: With the Wave 1 schedule being as tight as it is, priority for pledge delivery will be given to backers that pledged during the campaign. Late backers will receive their pledges after (depending on quantities and Chinese New Year).
Updating your information in the Pledge Manager
To receive your rewards, it is crucial that you fill in the pledge manager correctly. The address entered here is the one that will be used to calculate your shipping costs (we do not have access to the one connected to your Kickstarter account).
It is also important to note that you are free to modify your address after the end of the pledge manager, up to a few weeks before the start of Wave 1 or Wave 2 delivery.
To do this you simply go back to your pledge manager page, via the original link, and modify your address as needed. We will send out a reminder before the final deadline to remind people to check their addresses.
Once again, if you change address you can modify it easily and quickly in the pledge manager. However, should you change country, you will need to contact us so that we can make the necessary modifications and recalculate your shipping costs eventually.
Reminder regarding additional Purchases
Are certain optional buys included in the ”Rookie" Pledge?
No, the ”Rookie" pledge does not include any optional purchases from this campaign or the previous one.
What are the ”Bundles" optional buys and new pledges?
At the request of the community we added the bundles that allow you to quickly and easily add all the additional ”gameplay" (with cards) content from this campaign and the previous one to your pledge.
There are two add-ons; one for Veterans ($27) and one for Rookies ($120). Two pledge were also added that are priced identically:
&#8226; Veteran + "New Gamplay" Bundle for $76
&#8226; Rookie + "Full Gameplay" Bundle for $249
How to add optional buys or additional rewards to my pledge?
1. Click on the ”Manage your pledge" green button at the top of the page
2. On the next screen, click on the ”Change your pledge" blue button
3. Then, in the current reward box you've chosen, increase the pledge amount by the value of the optional buy / additional reward then click on the ”Continue" green button
4. On the window that appears, click on the ”Confirm" blue button.
5. It's done!
6. A few weeks after the Kickstarter campaign ends, we will open the ”Pledge Manager" (PM) and invite you to fill it by telling us which optional buys you'd like to purchase and in which language (English or French).
it really doesn't sound like you will have a choice to add extra content during the pledge manager.

Bii

Oh cool, my copy of KD:M arrived!

:O

I've watched a few videos on KD:M, and I have a question if anyone knows the answer to this. So after the settlement, hunting monsters and building up your character(s), can a new player jump in with a bare-bones character at any point in the game (prior to tackling a monster)? I ask because some family/friends might not jump in right away but if they see the game being played, they may want to create their own character and play from that point.

zulux21

LEgends of sleepy hallow just launched

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dicehateme/legends-of-sleepy-hollow?ref=discovery

and backed.

it's from GreaterThanGames and designed by Ben Pinchback & Matt Riddle (Fleet, Wasteland Express Delivery Service), and illustrated by Hugo award-winning artist Abigail Larson, with Colin Chan and Ksenia Svincova.

The Legends of Sleepy Hollow is an adventure game for 1 to 4 players featuring cooperative tactical missions and some "legacy" elements.

LEgends of sleepy hallow just launched

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dicehateme/legends-of-sleepy-hollow?ref=discovery

and backed.

it's from GreaterThanGames and designed by Ben Pinchback & Matt Riddle (Fleet, Wasteland Express Delivery Service), and illustrated by Hugo award-winning artist Abigail Larson, with Colin Chan and Ksenia Svincova.

The Legends of Sleepy Hollow is an adventure game for 1 to 4 players featuring cooperative tactical missions and some "legacy" elements.

That looks hideous. That's award winning art?

zulux21

That looks hideous. That's award winning art?

art is subjective and has very little impact in what I buy :p

mostly I really enjoy the games the company has made in the past, and a co op story driven game by them sounds good to me lol.

after all spirit island is still easily my GOTY right now.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

I've watched a few videos on KD:M, and I have a question if anyone knows the answer to this. So after the settlement, hunting monsters and building up your character(s), can a new player jump in with a bare-bones character at any point in the game (prior to tackling a monster)? I ask because some family/friends might not jump in right away but if they see the game being played, they may want to create their own character and play from that point.

You make bare-bones characters all the time. KDM is not the game to get attached to your character in. Survivors die very frequently, lots of times for no fault of your own.

KJ869

The problem is not really related to the survivors. KD:M starts pretty simple on the prologue white lion hunt and early phases with very limited options and not that complicated interactions. Innovations unlock more options for you (you have more things to do with survival and more timing rules) your gear has more interactions and later prey and especially nemesis fights start to get complex with things to take into concideration. Of course if you want you can just play the prolugue hunt as one off separate and then throw them to the deep end.

Top Bottom