• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin screens

Drakken

11.jpg

12.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

18.jpg

20.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

28.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

More here.

I'm pretty sure there are some new areas in there. A few of them show Jonathan and Charlotte being sucked into a painting (which is how you enter different areas, iirc). There's a new boss in there too.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i've been replaying circle of the moon, and i'd forgotten how this series has really taken some awesome evolutionary steps forward on the gba/ds.

these shots look phenomenal, and i cannot freakin' wait. love the 3d effects in the backgrounds.

Are some of the backgrounds polygonal? The ones in the "City of Haze" look to be. I haven't really been following this game, so it's probably old news...

Yusaku said:
28.jpg

Yeesh, change that font!

I was a bit turned off by that too, but didn't post about it because those will only appear once in the entire game when you first enter a new area. Thankfully.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
YAY! No more Yu-Gi-Oh! anime designs like the first game. They still need to get Kojima back though... unless she is working on a 2.5D CV for Wii!!! :O

rs7k

Never played Castlevania before, what do you recommend I start with? Or should I wait for Symphony of the Night on XBLA?

Ranger X

rs7k said:
Never played Castlevania before, what do you recommend I start with? Or should I wait for Symphony of the Night on XBLA?

Symphony of the night is the way to go. If you like it you can play Aria of Sorrow or the DS Castlevanias.
If you want to check old stuff, play Casltevania 3 (Dracula's Curse) on the NES or Super Castlevania 4 on the SNES. If you like, proceed with the rest (you should play DraculaX at that point and also the very first Castlevania on the NES)

Sapiens

rs7k said:

Castlevania 64 is the best one - start there.

Aurora

rs7k said:
My first Castlevania was Dawn of Sorrow for the DS. Granted, I had already played some of the GBA games but it wasn't anything like a serious play-through. I had no problems with DoS, infact it still ranks as my #1 DS game.

Snaku

Banned
Looks really hot. Seems like IGA's experimenting a little bit more extensively with 3D backgrounds. Maybe a true 2.5D console CV isn't far off.

Jiggy

I loathe those polygonal backgrounds in the City of Haze, but other than that, fantastic in every way. I don't even mind the art, though Charlotte's hair could stand to have a tad more personality.

Aurora

Jiggy37 said:
I loathe those polygonal backgrounds in the City of Haze, but other than that, fantastic in every way.
DoS had similar stuff to that. It didn't look ugly at all, it was just in the background and actually enhanced the game's look. :)

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
28.jpg

Go ahead and call it Silent Hill Konami, I know you want to.

Anyhow, the Sprites are really good eye candy (of sorts). Well done. Will get on the first day.

ethelred

jj984jj said:
YAY! No more Yu-Gi-Oh! anime designs like the first game. They still need to get Kojima back though... unless she is working on a 2.5D CV for Wii!!! :O

Don't even joke about stuff like that. It's too tantalizing to contemplate.

Also, damn, these screens look great. My anticipation for this game is insane.

SantaC

wow that's just ****ing awesome! Konami am GODS! The backgrounds are just phenomonal.

15.jpg

I 3> this shot.

Jeff-DSA

It was pretty awesome back at E3, I can't imagine how great the final product must be. I'll be getting this day 1 for sure.

Top Bottom