• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Crysis screens

"I'll hold out for the superior PS3 version. Not really looking to upgrade my video card until fall '07. Damn those screenies are sweet though."

Don't bet on it.

Pikelet

Oh. I'm not qualified to judge the technical merits of an image.
It doesnt take an expert to realise see good graphics. You dont need to understand bump mappnig to know that the rock on the second shot looks sweet.

KINGMOKU

dasein said:
mothersucks.jpg

Wow. Just wow. moku, do you know how much hatred your avatar fosters?
Yes, I do. I put that there for one man, and one man only. For those others who like the game, I hope I didnt offend.

Amir0x said:
i think not, this is gonna be DX10 based when all is said and done

Not to be a technical nitpicking wanker, but Crysis is predominantly a DX9/SM 3.0 based engine. The DX10 extensions found on the new cards wont change visuals in any dramatic fashion (per Cervat Yerli himself), it'll be down to the pathway being more effecient (much like the bolted on SM 3.0 extensions of the original Far Cry). Even after Crysis hits we'll still be a ways off before DX10 and the next Shader Model matures in any significant fashion.

In other news, this looks f'n gorgeous.

"Not to be a technical nitpicking wanker, but Crysis is predominantly a DX9/SM 3.0 based engine. The DX10 extensions found on the new cards wont change visuals in any dramatic fashion (per Cervat Yerli himself), it'll be down to the pathway being more effecient (much like the bolted on SM 3.0 extensions of the original Far Cry). Even after Crysis hits we'll still be a ways off before DX10 and the next Shader Model matures in any significant fashion."

This is true, as you said they're using DX10 for optimization to increase performance. They've said there is no additional effects going on in the DX10 codepath than the DX9 one, but significant performance gain.

karasu

Pikelet said:
It doesnt take an expert to realise see good graphics. You dont need to understand bump mappnig to know that the rock on the second shot looks sweet.

Well no. I'm not questioning whether these graphics are good or not. They're obviously good. But for whatever reason, I'm underwhelmed by their effect. I'm not saying it's bad art or anything like that. It's probably nothing more than the choice of screens and what's happening in them.

Kangu

Banned
Put me in the underwhelming camp. Well maybe not underwhelming, but I thought the game looked considerably better, texture and gemetry wise, from the videos released. These still shots look suprisingly like the shots of the new free radical game, forget what its called.

Kittonwy

Banned
Kangu said:
Put me in the underwhelming camp. Well maybe not underwhelming, but I thought the game looked considerably better, texture and gemetry wise, from the videos released. These still shots look suprisingly like the shots of the new free radical game, forget what its called.

Are you referring to Haze?

Zen

Banned
Looks really weak compared to those Crysis versus real life comparisons. REALLY weak.

What are you guys splooging over, that looks good but nothing amazing.

Pimpbaa

Teknopathetic said:
This is true, as you said they're using DX10 for optimization to increase performance. They've said there is no additional effects going on in the DX10 codepath than the DX9 one, but significant performance gain.

This was also true going from sm2.0 to sm3.0 in dx9. But it could still mean missing effects due to certain effects not running fast enough in dx9 (much like whats happening now with HDR not be available on sm2.0 cards).

"This was also true going from sm2.0 to sm3.0 in dx9. But it could still mean missing effects due to certain effects not running fast enough in dx9 (much like whats happening now with HDR not be available on sm2.0 cards)."

While I'm sure it could, the devs said themselves that there are no extra effects in Crysis between DX9 and DX10.

KingJ2002

looks amazing... but i doubt the 360 is incapable of delivering comparable graphic quality.

after all... its the beginning of the generation and were getting gears of war / mass effect quality

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
moku said:
This looks so much better then anything else in the works its scary. It makes UT2K7 look like an N64 game.

Why the hell does this game look so unreal in comparison to EVERYTHING else out there? The video with the art guy was just sick.

WHAT?!?!?! Some of those pics are already outdone by games on the PS3 and Xbox 360.

Are we looking at the same screens?

I think it's stupid that we should mention this game will be out on consoles at all. It's like porting Shadow of the Colossus to the NES. The PC version is the real Crysis. Expect to be let down by the console shots.

The only big problem I have is that Crysis is optimized for Windows Vista which is sure to cost like 500 dollars. Then you have to upgrade your video card to one that supports DX10, which is like another 400 dollars.

As graphically amazing as Crysis is, a bigger feat is to get good-looking graphics on lower-end systems.

But I'm not saying that these shots aren't beautiful. I almost glazed my pants when I saw them. :D

Btw, can we get a link to the 15 minute video that's being talked about? I don't think I've seen it.

mckmas8808

Kangu said:

Yep underwelmed here too. I've seen some screenshots of other games that look better than these posted in this thread.

mckmas8808

ELS-01X said:
Such as?

Just a reminder:

Notice I said "I've seen better screenshots of other games that better than the screenshots posted in this thread".

In this thead being the key words.

Borys

Banned
Kangu said:
That's the one. I imagine whats been released are bullshots, but they look pretty damn close.

931665_20060630_screen004.jpg

933103_20060510_screen001.jpg

Yeah, that kinda sucks... and I am the biggest Crysis fan on this board.

At least in Crysis you can destroy everything in a non-scripted, physical way.

Zaptruder

Banned
The Shadow said:
:lol :lol :lol

That's as premature as his own comment.

That said... ****ing awesome looking all that jazz...

but I can't help but have the sinking feeling that it'll miss a lot of touches that bring it out of that 'just a game' feel...

you know how Killzone 2 CG had all those touches? the way your gun moved and the way your guy interacted with his surroundings...

Like I was saying in another thread; it's great they're making all these advances, but they do need to keep the advances even; when you get a short wall, you should be able to hoist yourself over it... or leap onto a rope and use it to swing across, or there should be more contextually sensitive actions involving walls (like in GRAW) and all other parts of the environment.

There's nothing more jarring then having this beautiful looking game only to realise that you still control like the quake 1 guy.

LM4sure

Banned
This looks so freakin awesome! Can't wait, although I will have to upgrade my computer for this. Oh well. It's only money.

TerryLee81 said:
Will they sell this engine to other developers?

As -SD- mentioned they did with Far Cry so its most likely. The question is how many studios will be compelled it suits their needs and be able to leverage it. Success as a licensed engine has more to do with its flexibility and how robust the tools and support are, not necessarily the amount of tricks its pulling off. Its why UE3 is king at the moment, striking the right balance between modern tech and developer friendliness/versatility. And as we've seen, studios can even lay a turd with something as apparently intuitive as Epic's baby. ;)

mckmas8808

No it doesn't. Gears of War looks better than that particular pic. There's better pics of this game that that.

Gattsu25

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
No it doesn't. Gears of War looks better than that particular pic. There's better pics of this game that that.
What the hell are you babbling on about?

Pics look amazing, btw...the snow/ice pics in particular

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
The Bookerman said:
931665_20060630_screen003.jpg

Looks like Bruckheimer film.

holy ****ing crap.
I'm not too fussed about the enemies present, alien tentacle robots yet again it seems (here anyway), but the landscape is freaking brilliant!

gjb-sensei

Nintendo invented the pixel...
Damn does this game look stunning... I can't believe there are people out there who aren't impressed.

Top Bottom