• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new Dead Space 3 trailer, game features Kinect voice commands

Don't see what everyone's raging about. If you think the Kinect voice commands are stupid, then... don't use them. How does the existance of a feature which you don't care for spoil your enjoyment for the rest of the game when the rest of the game is totally unaffected by it?

Caddle

I don't see the problem here. Storywise this make sense. The first game, no one knew what was going on and it was Isaac's personal hell to survive the ordeal. Second game he was held by some fanatic of the religous order who knew what was going on, but were willing to sacrifice the station on they religious quest. Third game, find the origin of the marker and exterminate them once and for all.

Monkey Pants

Outpost Games Creative Director
I know my hardcore NeoGaf friends are wondering about some of the stuff in this trailer and ones before. All I can say is have faith, or at least play the game and come back in Feb. I'll be here.

The game will hit you with all kinds of the dark hallways, strategic dismemberment, space settings, puzzles, and stuff you love. But that's not much of a story, especially to people who didn't play the first two. The marketing over-emphasizes new stuff, of course.

I've been part of every Dead Space game, as has Codecow, and I geniunely think DS3 is great.

If you're not into the Kinect stuff, it's optional, of course. You'd never know it was there. If you're not into co-op, it's optional. You'd never know it was there. Although you should give it a shot. It's cool.

We've put a lot of time, effort and money trying to make something that really delivers value, especially for the people that have been there since the start.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Looks fine to me. Maybe a little more action-heavy than DS 2 (which again was a little more action-heavy than DS 1), but I'm not complaining. Just let me shootbang necrobros in the face and I'm happy.

I liked it with the exception of, "No space for fear." I don't get that.

You still haven't replied to my PM about those old Maiden live bootleg recordings :mad:

And goddamn I'm still waiting for Dante's Inferno 2 and that Ripper game :(

I know my hardcore NeoGaf friends are wondering about some of the stuff in this trailer and ones before. All I can say is have faith, or at least play the game and come back in Feb. I'll be here.

The game will hit you with all kinds of the dark hallways, strategic dismemberment, space settings, puzzles, and stuff you love. But that's not much of a story, especially to people who didn't play the first two. The marketing over-emphasizes new stuff, of course.

I've been part of every Dead Space game, as has Codecow, and I geniunely think DS3 is great.

If you're not into the Kinect stuff, it's optional, of course. You'd never know it was there. If you're not into co-op, it's optional. You'd never know it was there. Although you should give it a shot. It's cool.

We've put a lot of time, effort and money trying to make something that really delivers value, especially for the people that have been there since the start.

I'll keep the faith, Ian. I'll keep the faith.

Edit: Finally watched the trailer with sound. Interesting that Isaac has pretty much been press-ganged into this situation. I thought Ellie and Isaac would be chilling together somewhere, they went different places?

codecow

Looks fine to me. Maybe a little more action-heavy than DS 2 (which again was a little more action-heavy than DS 1), but I'm not complaining. Just let me shootbang necrobros in the face and I'm happy.

You still haven't replied to my PM about those old Maiden live bootleg recordings :mad:

And goddamn I'm still waiting for Dante's Inferno 2 and that Ripper game :(

Sorry man I have literally been working almost every waking minute the last few months, in fact I'm still at work now.

Yeah I don't see the disappointment here. How can people be so worried about it. Looks fantastic, more to the story, option co-op (not forced), kinect. If this is truly the end to Isaac's story, it definitely seems like they are going all out! Been a huge fan since 1, and 2 blew me away. I expect 3 to be similar. Have some faith guys! And yes I'm still waiting for Dantes Inferno and Ripper as well!!!!!

overcast

Looks really good. Main problem is the music and some of the choices of dialogue. Looks no different from DS2, which is a great thing in my book. Won't sell 5 million though.

Monkey Pants

Outpost Games Creative Director
I'll keep the faith, Ian. I'll keep the faith.

Edit: Finally watched the trailer with sound. Interesting that Isaac has pretty much been press-ganged into this situation. I thought Ellie and Isaac would be chilling together somewhere, they went different places?

You'll have to play it! But after all the crap he went thru in 1 and 2, Isaac was done with the world saving business and went his own way.

You'll have to play it! But after all the crap he went thru in 1 and 2, Isaac was done with the world saving business and went his own way.

is this the final chapter in isaac's story? I've always though it would be with the introduction of carver. if it is the end, I hope he doesn't die, would be a cruel fate to survive everything he has done only to die at the final hurdle.

I don't see any problems here. I love DS1 & DS2 and I'll be getting this one for sure (although probably not day one).
In single player, you still play as Clarke and I'm interested in what sort of gruesome, disgusting situations will Visceral put us in this time. :)
But personally, I would like to see less corridors and "OMG LOOK, IT'S A NECRO FROM THE VENT...for like the 100th time" and more "getting under your skin" creepiness.
As far as co op goes, I'm ok with that. I love co op game modes (Firefight, Horde, L4D, Spartan Ops,...) so this will be cool as I have a couple of buddies that I regularly play co op with.
But the co op campaign should be really different to be effective because horror isn't enough in co op, IMHO.
So...I'm interested. Looking forward to it.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.

You're a bold man for trying around here, sir. Bold man. Kudos to you.

I'm already sold, so keep these awesome assets coming.

haikira

For those who just updated to Steam Waking Mars you can copy your save files from C:\Users\User\Saved Games to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Waking Mars\SaveData. I got about 5 achievements when loading up for the first time, and collected a few more just by playing. Might not be possible to get them all but who cares.

Wrong thread?

No Space for fear?

Yeah... its just a action game anymore. Where is the atmosphere from the first? They fucked everything up that everyone loved in the first one.

Yet it will sell the most out of the trilogy. Dudebroing franchises is the norm now, not the exception. And devs have no shame in doing so.

Arjen

Stil looks pretty good to me *shrug*
Will wait to pass judgement about the amount of action and survival horror until i play it.

haikira

I really don't see how they've went Dude Bro with the game. To to be fair, I've had quite limited exposure to the videos released. Just this one and a 7-9 minute one they showed a few months ago.

Isaac still seems like a very troubled and reluctant hero and is hardly stomping around like Marcus Fenix. The coop stuff also seems entirely optional and has little effect on the single player. As for it being an action game. I've always seen the Dead Space series as more Aliens, than Alien. There's been survival horror elements sure. But i still felt like a bad ass when playing the previous games, even on hard.

I think it looks pretty neat.

Arjen

I really don't see how they've went Dude Bro with the game. To to be fair, I've had quite limited exposure to the videos released. Just this one and a 7-9 minute one they showed a few months ago.

Isaac still seems like a very troubled and reluctant hero and is hardly stomping around like Marcus Fenix. The coop stuff also seems entirely optional and has little effect on the single player. As for it being an action game. I've always seen the Dead Space series as more Aliens, than Alien. There's been survival horror elements sure. But i still felt like a bad ass when playing the previous games, even on hard.

I think it looks pretty neat.

I agree, but calling things Dudebro is what the cool kids do these days i guess.

ElfArmy177

Horrible... way too much dude bro.

what? How? Or did you just want to say dudebro?

game looks like dead space to me and I love the franchise. Its dudebro because there is other players?

Isaac has been at this for how long now? I'm pretty sure he's able to act a bit less like a pussy.. Makes sense story wise.

What happens happens when I yell out "Shut up!" though? Because that's probably what I'm going to be saying every time another shitty NPC pokes their head in or Issac makes a sarcastic quip.

Yet it will sell the most out of the trilogy. Dudebroing franchises is the norm now, not the exception. And devs have no shame in doing so.

hmmm, if the people paying the bills tell you to dude bro your franchise, and they are dead set on doing so, you can't do shit, otherwise they won't let you do another one.

hmmm, if the people paying the bills tell you to dude bro your franchise, and they are dead set on doing so, you can't do shit, otherwise they won't let you do another one.
Build a franchise by making a tastefully restrained game. Follow up by shoehorning in every hackneyed trend plauging this generation of software.

... At least the UI and art direction will still be awesome. After DS2 I don't have any illusions about what direction the series is moving in though. It's what I like to call the "more betterer" school of design.

codecow

What happens happens when I yell out "Shut up!" though? Because that's probably what I'm going to be saying every time another shitty NPC pokes their head in or Issac makes a sarcastic quip.

There are "easter eggs" effectively where we took a crack at guessing some things people might naturally say when playing.

As for the dudebro comments I can only say that I just got back from lifting bro, real talk right there.

8byte

Banned
My impressions from playing it:

It's still dead space. The section we played, while short, was good. The demo was co-op, though we were all broken up into separate rooms, which I felt was somewhat of a cop out to maintain the "scary" elements by removing communication. This was also for technical reasons, since the Kinect sensor would pick up folks in the same room and ammo swaps would go bananas, etc.

Anyway, it still feels very much like Dead Space in movement, shooting, and presentation. You can now crouch behind cover, but it isn't a "sticky cover" mechanic. I suppose this is to even things out later in the game against enemies with projectiles.

Kinect Voice commands were cool, but some seemed pointless. For example, "quick heal" was kind of pointless, IMO, as it basically took longer for the game to interpret your commands and heal you than it would to hit the button, making it "not so quick".

Looked fantastic, enemies were gruesome, and we saw some cool death animations. When you die and need to be revived, the game isn't particularly good at conveying it, rather, what is supposed to happen.

Overall, I was pleased and I don't think that co-op will ruin the game, since it isn't really "tied" into the story in any extremely meaningful way.

Also: Journalists are BAD at video games. This entire event left me shaking my head at how amateur most of these folks are. GOD. I see why reviews are so freaking awful. Left me kind of disgusted. Also really amused that when I asked why PlayStation Move support still hadn't found its way into these titles, despite the team having experience with Move, the PR rep said "well we've already done that with Extraction". Not the same bro...not the same.

There are "easter eggs" effectively where we took a crack at guessing some things people might naturally say when playing.

As for the dudebro comments I can only say that I just got back from lifting bro, real talk right there.

Sweet. Cool easter eggs are always welcome. It'll be interesting to see what people will discover. Hopefully if I talk dirty I can access the necromorph strip tease. Aww yeah.

Personally, I'm not that concerned about DS3 being "dudebro" exactly (although I appreciate the levity of your post as someone involved), but I do see a drift away from certain design tenets I thought made Dead Space unique this gen in favor of well treaded and imo overused conventions. Increasingly frequent Uncharted-ish QTEs vs. a more hands-off style of presentation, the wise cracking everyman vs. the silent protagonist, constant waves of enemies vs. suspense and atmosphere building, etc. It all seems a bit too familiar.

That's not to say I'm on principle opposed to evolving the formula. More freedom of exploration and side objectives sound great, and I can only envision greater replay value as a result (that is, as long as I don't have to listen to a ghostly hallucination that loves to soliloquize while I'm hermetically sealed in a room every time I do a new run). The weapon crafting sounds promising as a way to encourage creativity and give collectables more meaning than just another health pack or some ammo. I also see potential in the co-op experience if it's tackled in a sophisticated enough way. In fact, it sounds potentially like a much more appropriate solution to multi than run of the mill deathmatches.

Even a deeper storyline could be worthy of consideration if it managed to avoid depressingly common tropes in game scripts, but on the tail of DS2 I say guilty until proven innocent, and by God I hope the team proves me wrong.

Anyway, apologies for the long winded reply, but I hope that anyone reading this realizes not every crit or concern is just some unthinking knee jerk reaction to change. Like any other form of expression the merits of different design choices are up for interpretation and debate. And the reason why these things are even worth mention at all is because from the outset the franchise set the bar high with where it chose to show restraint at a time when competing software was often the victim of its own excesses. A louder more whiz-bang appoach might grab certain audiences, but at its core I can't shake the feeling something of that aesthetic is regressive.

Denzar

You guys are silly. Kinect is not forced and co-op isn't either.

Almost forgot this game was coming out! Trailer was great an did what it had to do. It got me excited!

You guys are silly. Kinect is not forced and co-op isn't either.
Shhh, be quiet. You're supposed to hate everything EA does. #GAFlogic

In all seriousness, reading this thread is kinda depressing. IMHO, game looks great and from we can gather, it's still gonna have that Dead Space experience and I have nothing against co op and/or Kinect. Nothing is forced on you. *sigh*

Oxirane

Do games that only use the voice and sound recognition component of Kinect actually require the Kinect hardware? Or is the hardware required to enable the console to use the APIs?

Voice commands being a 'feature' of kinect has always bugged me.

Top Bottom