• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Details on Avowed

Draugoth

Gold Member
• Avowed had a co-op focus early in development, now changed to a traditional Obsidian singleplayer RPG
• Avowed is Obsidian's version of what a fantasy first-person RPG is
• Finding the right balance between taking things from Pillars of Eternity and yet creating a new game that is more approachable for a larger audience
• "With Avowed, wee focus on unique bespoke content, deep systems and incredible storytelling that's focused on characters, societies and factions. Avowed is the natural extension of all the things we care about as a studio, of all the things we are great at."
• Obsidian showed Avowed to Microsoft as early as part of the acquisition process

Last edited:

Kilau

More co-op causality due to Series S.

Star Trek GIF

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Strong Redfall vibes from this.
I think that's fair honestly.

Redfall as far as we know was Arkane trying to make a co-op GAAS to try and be profitable for Zenimax, when they didn't really have the experience or desire to make it. Post-acquisition, they were allowed to cancel most of that and try and tailor it more to what they like doing.

Avowed, trying to make a co-op game for publisher approval to be profitable. Post-acquisition, allowed to go back to what they prefer doing.

Guess we'll see if they succeeded in salvaging it. It does show MS is allowing these teams to do what they like. It's just taking years.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
• "With Avowed, wee focus on unique bespoke content, deep systems and incredible storytelling that's focused on characters, societies and factions"

Fantasy Fallout New Vegas, give me nao !

I think that's fair honestly.

Redfall as far as we know was Arkane trying to make a co-op GAAS to try and be profitable for Zenimax, when they didn't really have the experience or desire to make it. Post-acquisition, they were allowed to cancel most of that and try and tailor it more to what they like doing.

Avowed, trying to make a co-op game for publisher approval to be profitable. Post-acquisition, allowed to go back to what they prefer doing.

Guess we'll see if they succeeded in salvaging it. It does show MS is allowing these teams to do what they like. It's just taking years.

Redfall was Zenimax trying to pull off something.

Hopefully this is not a similar situation. Obsidian wasn't a big company and relied on their games actually succeeding.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Still doesn't look anything like the very first (bullshot) CGI reveal, which itself did get me excited. This is a sort of "not that bothered but I guess I'll try it on Game Pass" title.

It's because that goofy ass colorful art style is more approachable by a broader audience. Games like this are designed by marketing control groups, not by individuals with vision and passion.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Still doesn't look anything like the very first (bullshot) CGI reveal, which itself did get me excited. This is a sort of "not that bothered but I guess I'll try it on Game Pass" title.

They changed the games art style through development, it's not gonna look like the original dark, gritty fantasy anymore.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
It's because that goofy ass colorful art style is more approachable by a broader audience. Games like this are designed by marketing control groups, not by individuals with vision and passion.
They changed the games art style through development, it's not gonna look like the original dark, gritty fantasy anymore.
straight from an Obsidian dev on rpg codex
The trailer fails to show much in its 2 minute run time, which also means it fails as a trailer, many at the studio certainly agree. To clear up misconceptions though I'll say this, the game is big and open, it is unfair to compare it to OW (I think Ferg is trying to keep expectations down just in case), which I think it is nothing alike, this coming from someone who did not like much of OW, especially the art style.

The studio that did the trailer did some compression of colors and image editing, the screenshots that have been released are much more representative of what it looks like just running through it (they also are appear to be totally random shots from the game, I'm not sure why these were chosen out all the things, probably to keep spoilers at minimum). A lot of the game is being kept hidden right now, I think you will have to wait until the next trailer or some sort of presentation to really see it, but it is safe to assume it is very Obsidian, for better or for worse :lol:. No, the entire game isn't all bright and happy town, no it is not all so indistinct visually, just the spots shown in the trailer. There are lots of characters, quests, conversations, various game mechanics, big story, etc. Hopefully we can just release more shots from the game without having to worry about another trailer. I miss working on POEs where we could just leak our own shit and no one could tell us no.

I guess take that as you will. Dumpsterfire comments are bit overhype, development is going well right now, MS is allowing Obsidian free license to do as they will, and if it is success or fails it'll be on Obsidian's own terms.
there are both dark and bright regions in the game.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
straight from an Obsidian dev on rpg codex

there are both dark and bright regions in the game.

There's not a single DARK region showed in the trailer. I can only comment on what was showed.

Ammogeddon

Jesus, I didn’t know there was such a thing as an anti-hype promotional video.

Even the developers sound about as excited for the game as I am. I’m surprised they didn’t just say “don’t buy it, you won’t like it”.

Del_X

Something is off with the art style. Weirdly high contrast which seems to crush whatever detail is left. Hopefully they touch that up because it looks like puke.

I wish they hadn’t shown the teaser at “e3” 2020. The gameplay reveal this past June didn’t seem to be similar at all, so I wish the game play reveal had just been the reveal.

Having said that. Excited to see how it turns out, and I think Obsidian having 5+ years to make their take on a single player fantasy RPG is exciting. Look forward to seeing how it turns out. Obsidian games tend to be on the shorter side, and that’s fine. As long as what is in the game is really solid. No doubt it will be.

Last edited:

Gorgon

Now that they (and MS) consider themselves an "AAA" studio with AAA budgets, let's see what the excuse is this time if this fails to deliver that mythical "Obsidian experience".

Gorgon

Looks like one of the devs put a photo of one of their kids' plasticine school project into the trailer by mistake.

Last edited:

Roberts

PoE games are not the most accessibly games ever made - there is Tolstoy’s amount of text to be read in them so it is obvious they will cut down on that stuff to make a faster paced action RPG. Doesn’t mean it will be dumbed down.

Gorgon

Where did they say that?

"If you think you have the chops (that is, experience, qualifications and passionate desire) to create AAA role-playing games, take a look and see if there is a position that suits you."

There's also some interviews that you can goole about. There's also one with MS in which they say that Obsidian is now an "AAA" studio.

SJRB

Gold Member
This is going to be a disaster. The way these devs are talking about it, the obvious development hell it was/is in, those visuals.

"It's not going to fit the exact mold of what I've seen the trend being of what was expected for Avowed," lmao.

Top Bottom