• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Ball Z PS3/360 game in development

Backflip

Dragon Ball Z Raging Blast will be the first DBZ game to offer new characters since Super Dragon Ball Z on the PS2. Namco Bandai just confirmed that Super Saiyajin 3 Broly will be in the game. You can see a screenshot from the latest trailer there: http://www.jv247.com/games/2926-NEW...-inedits-dans-Dragon-Ball-Z-Raging-Blast.html

Also, here are the PAL Raging Blast covers:

360 version: http://www.jv247.com/games/2926-IMAGE27792.html

PS3 version: http://www.jv247.com/games/2927-IMAGE27791.html

While I'm at it, here is the PAL Dragon Ball Revenge of King Piccolo (Wii) cover : http://www.jv247.com/games/2939-IMAGE27790.html

Do not buy this game. Look at the screenshots. They are pure ass. You may as well just buy one of the better PS2 iterations instead of this. Force them to make better stuff like Dragonball: Revenge of King Piccolo instead.

Aru

I wonder if the japanese version will have the official DBZ (or maybe DB Kai ?) soundtrack since this is a Spike game.

Backflip said:
Dragon Ball Z Raging Blast will be the first DBZ game to offer new characters since Super Dragon Ball Z on the PS2. Namco Bandai just confirmed that Super Saiyajin 3 Broly will be in the game. You can see a screenshot from the latest trailer there: http://www.jv247.com/games/2926-NEW...-inedits-dans-Dragon-Ball-Z-Raging-Blast.html

Also, here are the PAL Raging Blast covers:

360 version: http://www.jv247.com/games/2926-IMAGE27792.html

PS3 version: http://www.jv247.com/games/2927-IMAGE27791.html

While I'm at it, here is the PAL Dragon Ball Revenge of King Piccolo (Wii) cover : http://www.jv247.com/games/2939-IMAGE27790.html

I remember the new characters in Budokai 1 & 2:
- Cell Krillin
- The fusion of Goku and Mr Satan
- The fusion of Goku and Piccolo
- The fusion of Tenshinhan and Yamcha

But what was the one in Super DBZ ? Mecha Freezer ? He is just a basic redesign of Metal Freezer with a few new attacks IMO.

So far SS3 Broly seems to be the best one.

I don't care about the game having not so great arenas, the characters are really really close to the anime characters :D More than NUNS, at least.

That is one ugly looking game.

If it weren't for the higher resolution, I'd almost say this looks worse than the previous Tenkaichi game. Also don't know why the character models seemingly have less detail in 'em than the ones in Burst Limit, since the environments don't seem to be very detailed either (regardless of their more open and more destructible nature).

NeonZ

SecretBonusPoint said:
Do not buy this game. Look at the screenshots. They are pure ass. You may as well just buy one of the better PS2 iterations instead of this. Force them to make better stuff like Dragonball: Revenge of King Piccolo instead.

Based on every report I've read, the Wii game gets old rather quickly. Really, they should just stick with fighting games.

NeonZ said:
Based on every report I've read, the Wii game gets old rather quickly. Really, they should just stick with fighting games.

Does it get old in the "This is the first time I've gone through the Dragonball Piccolo saga in a console side-scroller with great cel-shaded graphics" way or old in the "This is the 4th Budokai Tenkaichi game of exactly the same characters and story and gameplay with just 2 new ones added in and somehow shittier graphics than an SD Console version" way? I simply must know!!

(Budokai 3 + Super DBZ remain the best DBZ fighters)

akachan ningen said:
I can't believe DBZ is still popular.

Because it's such a great show.

For a more detail answer, I suspect that the series goes through (especially recently) what I like to call "The Star Wars Effect". This is essentially when someone watches a show as a child and really enjoys it but eventually grows out of it to watch "cooler" stuff like the shows on MTV. As time passes and they grow out of (hopefully) of those shows too, they start browsing around and eventually rewatching some old shows just for the sake of nostalgia. When they realize that the show is still good or better than ever (especially the case with Dragonball as all of the shows are now uncut and intended for a young adult audience) they become hook with the show for a very long period of time again as this is the time they morph into an adult and their interest start to be firmly planted.

A little off-topic but yesterday I finally finished watching all 444 episodes of the entire Dragonball series (GT doesn't count).

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
Urban Scholar said:
Which one was Super DBZ?
The one that had the words "Super Dragon Ball Z" on the box.

615Y4SS3F6L._SS400_.jpg

One of the lead designers of the game previously worked on the Street Fighter series.

Whimsical Phil said:
The one that had the words "Super Dragon Ball Z" on the box.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/615Y4SS3F6L._SS400_.jpg[IMG]

One of the lead designers of the game previously worked on the Street Fighter series.[/QUOTE]

Ha-ha whoops, for some reason I thought he was referring to a SNES game. I need to play this game in the future. Off topic but Hyper Dimensions is my favorite to date

karasu

LiK said:
for all the 3D DBZ games, that and the amount of canned animation for every character is pretty much the same also ruins it. they should really make each fighter have their own unique moves and animations. but they always like to recycle the same animations for everyone except their uber super duper moves.

just like the show.

SecretBonusPoint said:
(Budokai 3 + Super DBZ remain the best DBZ fighters)

It's good to know I'm not alone in that thought. I always add Hyper Dimension to that list because it's a great DBZ fighter as well.

Revenge of King Piccolo is already out in Japan and it looks good. It reminds me of Advanced Adventure for the GBA with the way the game is presented. And if that's any indication then I'll have to pick it up.

Raging Blast on the other hand, I'm not so sure. I guess it has a lot to do with the early Budokai games spoiling me and made me look at the Tenkaichi games early on like WTF!? I expect Raging Blast not to change much from T3 just like Burst Limit from Shin Budokai 2 just so fans don't feel alienated. But a nice overhaul through Raging Blast is completely welcome though.

Hopefully Raging Blast and Burst Limit will just alternate every year so either or isn't rushed out for the payout. They could at least give Burst Limit some DLC or some connectivity through Raging Blast. We'll see how it pans out though.

Naughtboy

Banned
There's something about the Tenkiachi series that puts me off.....the combat. The trailer for raging blast looked fine until they started hitting each other. Then it looked awkward and stupid.

The collision detection is very wonky. The really upsetting issue is the fact that it looks like a one man brawler that consist of one opponent beating the crap out of the other with repeated animations, hitting them away while flying to them and repeating the process.

I much rather a Budokai game with Z and GT characters

Aru

Raging Blast looks way better than Tenkaichi 3 !

The character models are much sharper, have better facial animations.

I'll agree that the backgrounds are not very much better, but at least they are clean and larger.

And also, 60 fps FTW.

I know the current gen can do way better than this, but I prefer this over Burst Limit (in any possible way).

I wanted Tenkaichi 3 HD, here it is.

bigosc2k

Banned
PnCIa said:
So, is this game like a Tenkaichi 4?

Yeah basically only changed the name to Dragon Rage, which is what most people are going to do when they first pop the game into the system and find out it just Tenkaichi 4.

Aru said:
RB is using cell shading for the characters.

this doesn't look cel-shading, this looks more "plastic toy from china" and it's not cohesive with the background (shallow 3d with basic textures)

look at these and compare them with DB.

Naruto__Ultimate_Ninja_Storm1%20(23)--screenshot.jpg

1.jpg

site_naruto:-ultimate-ninja-storm-ss-42.jpg

it would be much closer to the manga/anime in term of artsyle.

°°ToMmY°° said:
this doesn't look cel-shading, this looks more "plastic toy from china" and it's not cohesive with the background (shallow 3d with basic textures)

look at these and compare them with DB.

it would be much closer to the manga/anime in term of artsyle.

I see your point but at the same time doesn't everything look bad in comparison to Naruto UNS? The game has set such a high standard visually

°°ToMmY°° said:
why don't they go for cel-shading? it woul be a perfect fit for this.

Technically it is cel-shaded, just the very poor technical "thin line" cel shading that seems to miss the point of making a DBZ game with cel-shading. Budokai 3 + Super DBZ had fantastic cel-shading as does the forthcoming wii title:
dragon-ball-revenge-of-king-piccolo-20090602052421447_640w.jpg

sdcc-09-dragon-ball-king-piccolo-screens-20090723010600574_640w.jpg

dragon-ball-revenge-of-king-piccolo-20090714015758487_640w.jpg

dragon-ball-revenge-of-king-piccolo-20090602052428213_640w.jpg

You know youre doing something wrong when a new Wii game looks orders of magnitude better (environments far superior looking as well!) than the 4th iteration of a series brought to 'HD' :lol

SecretBonusPoint said:
You know you're doing something wrong when a new Wii game looks orders of magnitude better (environments far superior looking as well!) than the 4th iteration of a series brought to 'HD' :lol

:lol So many a thread flames up with this alone. Seriously though those are in game screen shots? Lovely I say, lovely

Urban Scholar said:
:lol So many a thread flames up with this alone. Seriously though those are in game screen shots? Lovely I say, lovely

Cutscene graphics, but still real-time. Its all about the art design and detail. Super DBZ for instance looked great because it took more inspiration from the manga and actually focussed on having the environments look more like Toriyama's artwork as well rather than just flat texturing stuff and calling it a day.

super-dragon-ball-z-20060628023443790.jpg

super-dragon-ball-z-20060719073336961-000.jpg

And thats why this game looks lazy. Up-ported PS2 models no doubt with thinner cel-shading applied and some light-sourcing plonked into empty dully textured environments showing little to no love or care for the franchise.

Hellion said:
Is Dimps still the DBZ developer of are they now SF4 exclusive?

Dimps made Burst Limit I think while the Tenkaichi/Sparking! series has always been Spike. They usually alternate them each year and will continue to do so until fans realise they have an entire shelf of the same game in different resolutions and boxart.

NeonZ

SecretBonusPoint said:
Does it get old in the "This is the first time I've gone through the Dragonball Piccolo saga in a console side-scroller with great cel-shaded graphics" way or old in the "This is the 4th Budokai Tenkaichi game of exactly the same characters and story and gameplay with just 2 new ones added in and somehow shittier graphics than an SD Console version" way? I simply must know!!

It gets old in the "combat is repetitive, there isn't much else to do in mostly linear levels and the vs mode is poor compared to the actual fighting games" way.

I haven't played it though, I'm just saying what I've read about it. Really, people are blindly favoring it just because it isn't a fighting game, but that attitude is senseless.

That said, Raging Blast doesn't look very good either. The gameplay changes don't seem any more dramatic than BT3's, but they still felt like cutting out half of the cast (even though many characters have shown animations identical to the ones of BT3, so it's really obvious they didn't remake everything from scratch).

LRB1983

Banned
Hellion said:
Is Dimps still the DBZ developer of are they now SF4 exclusive?
They made Dragon Ball Evolution for PSP too XDXDXDXD.

I just want some Dragon Ball Z 4 (Dragon Ball Budokai 4). Not Burst Limit joke.

Those Dragonball Wii screens SecretBonusPoint posted look freaking amazing. That's the closest I've seen a game come to matching the anime.

Arpharmd B said:
Those Dragonball Wii screens SecretBonusPoint posted look freaking amazing. That's the closest I've seen a game come to matching the anime.
The in-engine cutscenes look great, but when they go to actual gameplay, it's not very good looking.

It's a shame, because they clearly got the graphics right, but then the camera switches to the sidescroller angle and it's all D:

theluma

So basically it's Budokai tenkaichi 4 with Burst Limit character textures (which hopefully will look better on release)?

Sounds like a plan.

Manus

Oh I'm pumped for this. If it has online with a good netcode this could be one of my favorite games.

theluma

After watching some videos of it, I've established that Raging Blast IS the next-gen Budokai Tenkaichi I've always wanted. Awesome, can't wait for this now.

Aru

Strider2K99 said:
Super Saiyan 3 Brolly? What the fuck?

I like new transformations.

SSJ Radditz and Baddack next please :D

I remember some french MUGEN DBZ fan game which had over 60 characters with SSJ Radditz, Kurihan (fusion between teen gohan SS2 and Krillin :lol ), Goku SSJ5, Broly SSJ4... :lol

It was awesome :D

The strongest character of the game was... Goku with no transformation. It was actually the first time ever before any official DBZ game when you could transform into a Super Sayan in-game ! So you transformed Goku into SSJ, then launched some kind of Kamehameha which could destroy (and really destroy, the character disappears !) any character in training mode where you are TOTALLY invincible.
He's the only character who can do that :p

LRB1983

Banned
Do you really like it?, hell! it's an abomination XDXDXD.
BU1KQ.jpg

There're enough unrealased characters than can be filled in the game, there'is no reason for create this kind of :-S like dragonball characters, freezer soldiers, the saiyans versus who fight tenshin, yamcha, chaoz and Krilin when they're training, etc...

NeonZ

LRB1983 said:
There're enough unrealased characters than can be filled in the game, there'is no reason for create this kind of :-S like dragonball characters, freezer soldiers, the saiyans versus who fight tenshin, yamcha, chaoz and Krilin when they're training, etc...

Tenkaichi 3 actually already had nameless Freeza soldiers and many DB characters too...

I don't even like Brolly, but I disagree. Sure, you might try to add some more insignificant characters, but most people wouldn't even care about them. When you get to the point you need to add characters made up by the anime, you might just as well do your own thing, like this Brolly SSJ3.

Takao

Banned
NeonZ said:
When you get to the point you need to add characters made up by the anime, you might just as well do your own thing, like this Brolly SSJ3.

Brolly was made up by the anime... He's also the epitome of everything that's wrong with Toei's DragonBall Z.

NeonZ

Takao said:
Brolly was made up by the anime... He's also the epitome of everything that's wrong with Toei's DragonBall Z.

I never said he wasn't, but an original transformation like this for an anime character is still better than just trying to dig some unimportant anime character or some minor manga figure that never even fought.

Really, there are piles of DB games. Even if the new content so far is just whoring out some stupid anime character, it's an improvement over another reharsh. Of course, this is a single transformation and doesn't matter much in the large scheme of things, this game is still disappointing because it lacks content from previous games of this series and doesn't seem to change enough to compensate, but the idea of adding new transformations/characters isn't wrong.

rvy

Banned
Why do you guys keep buying this shit, seriously? There hasn't been one good Dragon Ball game ever since the Saturn days. I'm guilty of buying the games too, but I stopped at Tenkaichi 3. It's like we're telling Namco/Bandai that we don't mind being fed shit every year.

Why the fuck can't Bandai/Namco give Dimps 3 years to actually make a game that is decent? It's like they have to flush out a game every year, be it Dimps or Spike or whatever.
Why do they flush the games out? Because people buy them no matter how bad they are.

Fuck this shit.

Dragon%20Ball%20Z%20Legends-PSX-NTSC-JAP.jpg

Whatever happened to this? In 1996, for God's sake! We're in 2009 and they still haven't topped it. Even Shin Butouden is better than the crap they've been doing.

Snaku

Banned
LRB1983 said:

Hell, where's my adult Chi Chi?

Aru

Shikashi said:
Why do you guys keep buying this shit, seriously? There hasn't been one good Dragon Ball game ever since the Saturn days. I'm guilty of buying the games too, but I stopped at Tenkaichi 3. It's like we're telling Namco/Bandai that we don't mind being fed shit every year.

Why the fuck can't Bandai/Namco give Dimps 3 years to actually make a game that is decent? It's like they have to flush out a game every year, be it Dimps or Spike or whatever.
Why do they flush the games out? Because people buy them no matter how bad they are.

Fuck this shit.

Whatever happened to this? In 1996, for God's sake! We're in 2009 and they still haven't topped it. Even Shin Butouden is better than the crap they've been doing.

DBZ Legends sucks. This game is like the spiritual predecessor to DBZ Supersonic Warriors. Seriously, what is good in this game ? You have a button for multiple punchs, one for fireballs. You can only do a kamehameha when the bar is entirely blue (and it's automatic).

Ultimate Battle 22 is superior to Legends, and it's not that great either.

And for adding unreleased characters, there aren't many left... A few DB GT characters maybe but almost all good DBZ characters are in already.

So new transformations are welcome, for me. I wish they would do entire new storylines and not only what ifs (unlike Shin Budokai 1 & 2).

For example, there is a dead french RPG Maker project called DBZ RPG The return of the Saiyan Army. It's too bad the game will be never released, because it looked really good. And the storyline too (well, I think you guessed what it was about from the title :p).

Take a look at those few screens:

dbzarms_1.gif

dbzarms_2.gif

dbzarms_3.gif

dbzarms_4.gif

dbzarms_5.gif

dbzarms_6.gif

Can't find the old trailer, it's too bad :(

I wish they would do those kind of stories.

Backflip

UB 22 is a rehash of the old DBZ Super NES games. But it's not as good as those games. The Ki attacks and the zoom system sucked. The Saturn DBZ 2D fighter is way better.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
The Saturn UB22 port is better, but still not that great a game. The best thing it had going for it was its soundtrack. :p

Shikashi said:

Fuck this shit.

Super DBZ is the best fighting game that's come out since Hyper Dimension on the SFC. It's too bad the game pretty much bombed. I also enjoyed Super Sonic Warriors on GBA and its sequel on DS. Tenkaichi Budokai 3 was kinda fun, too.

I was interested in the new DB Wii game, but then watched some game play from the Japanese version and was immediately turned off to it. It didn't look as fun as the GBA DB was.

Top Bottom