• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

New DYNASTY WARRIORS delayed

Matt_Fox

Jul 24, 2019
Originally scheduled for "early 2021" Koei Tecmo today announced that Dynasty Warriors 9: Empires has been delayed...

As a fan I'm disappointed to have to wait longer, and here are three reasons why I think this new entry will be the best Musou game yet:

1. Dynasty Warriors 9: Empires features the amazing character creator from Nioh, allowing tinkerers to create a host of generals and officers to populate battlefields with. Unlike the often stylized / anime art style of other Musou titles, Dynasty Warriors 9: Empires leans towards realism.

2. It's an 'Empires' entry which means a compelling strategy game (not unlike the boardgame Risk) is overlaid upon the arcade action. Something for the mind as well as the thumbs.

3. It was to be the first Musou game on next gen systems. With so many combatants filling the screen, Musou games have often struggled with pop-in and framerate dips. On PS5 and XSX we have systems to finally do justice to the scale of the battlefields.

Hopefully the launch window wont be too far delayed - how do you feel about this game being pushed back?

• LOL
Reactions: jaysius

sojuwarrior

Jul 31, 2020
waiting for the day when they are capable of putting hundreds of punching bags on the screen at the same time, that will really feel like an actual battlefield!

KrakenIPA

Dec 19, 2020
Bring us a new Dynasty Tactics you cowards!! I weep for a future where tactics/strategy games don't get greenlit because they wouldn't generate enough profit. Damn mobile gaming <yells at cloud>!

Woopah

Jun 15, 2019
Bring us a new Dynasty Tactics you cowards!! I weep for a future where tactics/strategy games don't get greenlit because they wouldn't generate enough profit. Damn mobile gaming <yells at cloud>!
Project Triangle Strategy just got announced, there's still a chance!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Oct 13, 2008
I thought Dynasty Warriors 10 was due out this year. There's two of them now?

Mmnow

Jun 16, 2020
This is sad, but not surprising. With no new release date, things must be in a bit of a state, which is surprising considering Samurai Warriors isnt a million miles away.

I wonder whether it'd be best to push this back to the end of the year or even 2022. I can't see releasing two new warriors games back to back going down so well.

Also, as an aside, it would be awesome if there was some way of deincentivising shit posts like the ones in this thread. Getting through a bunch of assholes to discuss the topic at hand is bad enough when you're dodging console warriors, but in a thread specifically about a game series? There's no need for it.

Just makes the place look cluttered and stops people from wanting to post about the things they enjoy or care about.

Reactions: Matt_Fox

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Sep 2, 2007
I hope they bring back the original VAs for this but I’m guessing they won’t for an “Empires” title.

DW9 was such a flaming pile of garbage although I appreciate trying new ideas. I think they realized they fucked up and that it was poorly received since it’s taken so long for a follow up.

Despite all the “too many Dynasty Warriors games!” memes, we really haven’t had anything good since DW8XL on PS4 in 2014?

Since then I’ve played THREE Samurai Warriors games and two Hyrule Warriors games. That’s pretty wild considering Dynasty Warriors is the mainline franchise for KOEI.

Sep 20, 2005
Did Dynasty Warriors 9 improve much after launch? I played it for a half hour after launch and quit. It used to be my favorite series.