• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New EGM and GFW scores and such

Darji said:
You maybe didnt know but most fans of a genre or game have more knowledge about these things as a reviewer who doesnt know shit.

Last I checked the 1up reviewer seemed to be familiar with the R&C series. I think that's a definite step up from "doesn't know shit".

Tieno

Drinky Crow said:
. on the other hand, you worthless motherfuckers have made me defend nintendo, and for that i hope you get scrotal eczema.
Remind me to never challenge you, you are a superior being.

skip

Rodeo Clown said:
It seems ridiculous that he is that serious, but you might want to tell Joe to be on the look out for suspicious characters outside the 1UP offices. You know, so he doesn't get the Ratchet fan's love knife.

looking for suspicious characters in downtown SF is a tall order. :D

Darji

Banned
traveler said:
Because Joe Rybicki, formerly of OPM, (God Rest Its Soul) isn't a fan of the Ratchet series? And how the hell can you say that "fans of a genre" know more than a reviewer when the reviewer has actually played the damn thing and they haven't?
The game is out already.....

It seems ridiculous that he is that serious, but you might want to tell Joe to be on the look out for suspicious characters outside the 1UP offices. You know, so he doesn't get the Ratchet fan's love knife.
First of all. I am living in Germany. Secondly i wont stalk anypeople. Hell i wouldnt even hit people I never did and i am pretty sure that i wont ever.

I am just saying whats on my mind nothing more. Yeah maybe i am whining for many people but i just want fair reviews and this my freind is far from fair. Thats all i have to say.

traveler

Not Wario
Drinky Crow said:
biased for the ps3, maybe! if i worked at 1up -- and i never would or will although i think skip is a very handsome man -- you'd see a LOT lower scores for some of the dross you sony fanboys treat so reverently.

They were accused of being extremely biased towards the PS2 throughout its reign. (I even have an issue with Shoe trying to explain in an editorial that the company is NOT in the pocket of Sony and treats everyone fairly. I wish he'd print that same one again now and just "Find and Replace" Sony with MS :lol ) Now, it's the 360. Interesting how the system with the best lineup (by common consensus) on shelves is the one they're accused of being biased towards...

Darji said:
You maybe didnt know but most fans of a genre or game have more knowledge about these things as a reviewer who doesnt know shit. And alone the graphic comment is just stupid.

You maybe don't know what the difference between "knowledge" and "opinion" is. Rabid fans say lots things; just because they say them doesn't make them true.

<hint, hint, hint, hint, hint, hint>

Darji said:
More like: yay for biased reviews. I am looking forward to the Uncharted review 1Up. Will it get a 8.0?

Clearly, for 1up to offer free press to a game such as Uncharted by posting a review on their site is clear evidence of their pro-Sony bias.

Rodeo Clown said:
I think Darji is just fishing for a tag at this point. There's no way anyone is that delusional.

My bet is that he's shooting for next week's "heroes of the web."

tehbear

Wow okay, let's take a deep breath and WAIT until Uncharted 8.0s before we all throw our hated PS3s out the window.

Look Ratchet isn't going to get Bioshock like scores, ms moneyhatting and sony bias aside. It's not going to "shock" an industry that has sat on the graphical fidelity of games like Gears for a year. I mean had they produced a litany of System Shock sequels, Bioshock's impact would have been much less. Had there been fewer Ratchet games, it would have felt more fresh.

Redd

Darji said:
More like: yay for biased reviews. I am looking forward to the Uncharted review 1Up. Will it get a 8.0?

Wow darji calm down. I'm sure many PS3 users will buy the game regardless if its good. I might pick it up as well if I can ever get one. Soon everyone's gonna feel hurt if their game of choice gets a 9.0 unless they already do.

traveler said:
And since when have character/creature design been bigger discussion points than a game's setpieces, controls, story, etc.?

More important than? Not sure, but important enough for a mention, yes. In a game that revolves around fantastic creatures and subsequently fantastic animation (things that in themselves add to the impact of the story and story presentation), one would think it would be at least mentioned. But then hey, maybe not, as Joe here seems quite unfit to rate such things. Not that he doesn't try, mind you.

traveler said:
The PS2 comment afterwards is a common "diminishing returns" sentiment among all next-gen games and he hardly let's that stop him from calling the graphics beautiful.

One that is in this case absolutely ridiculous and without merit. Coupled with the idiotic comment that references how much (or little) the game pushes the PS3, it does little more than showcase that 1up has real messed up priorities, and that Joe here isn't actually fit to rate or even reference graphics quality in the first place.

traveler

Not Wario
I was just about to post in the R&C thread to see if anyone has found a copy near Macon, but, man, is that place a wreck. It's like this thread, but totally one sided. They've somehow come to the conclusion that 1up thinks R&C looks like a last-gen game and plays like total shit. :lol

Darji

Banned
tehbear said:
Wow okay, let's take a deep breath and WAIT until Uncharted 8.0s before we all throw our hated PS3s out the window.

Look Ratchet isn't going to get Bioshock like scores, ms moneyhatting and sony bias aside. It's not going to "shock" an industry that has sat on the graphical fidelity of games like Gears for a year. I mean had they produced a litany of System Shock sequels, Bioshock's impact would have been much less. Had there been fewer Ratchet games, it would have felt more fresh.
I think no one would dissagre about Rachet not beeing a new Bioshock. That would be retarded. But Rachet is one of the best looking games out there at the moment. but still it doesnt show the power of the Ps3? Which game will it then?

But even putting the graphic aspect by side. Which they did with halo 3 too then Halo 3 doesnt look really next gen after a gears. its the gameplay that counts and if you would read other reviews 1Up criticized many point that other praised.

Oh Lord the comments in the 1up review:

"Whats the point of an 8.9? Just make it a 9. The difference is so retardedly miniscule it makes me mad a little."

"Why would 1UP give this review to the person who scores it the lowest in EGM? The score should be a 9.0."

"Throwing 10s for 360 games like crazy, and here comes best platform for any console, and ONLY good platform in a whole year and they still give it lower score than it deserves."

"ps3 and wii that is cause when it cames to 360 all their games are 10 not hating on systems but i thing bill gates own this website or something cause halo got a 10 and that game sucks balls and regret it for paying for it."

Might as well read the talkbacks in AICN.com.

Wait what? These aren't comments they're user reviews. WTF?

traveler

Not Wario
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Oh Lord the comments in the 1up review:

"Whats the point of an 8.9? Just make it a 9. The difference is so retardedly miniscule it makes me mad a little."

"Why would 1UP give this review to the person who scores it the lowest in EGM? The score should be a 9.0."

"Throwing 10s for 360 games like crazy, and here comes best platform for any console, and ONLY good platform in a whole year and they still give it lower score than it deserves."

"ps3 and wii that is cause when it cames to 360 all their games are 10 not hating on systems but i thing bill gates own this website or something cause halo got a 10 and that game sucks balls and regret it for paying for it."

Might as well read the talkbacks in AICN.com.

Reads like the damn R&C official thread here.

GhaleonEB

Just catching up on the last several pages.
Darji said:
1Up Review:

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3163887

Can i now start to hate? The whole review ist just ridiculous. Thats not even fair.
Darji said:
so I cant argue about scores from games which i didnt played or read the review? :lol :lol
Seriously, this is amazing.

Also: Drinky for president.

Edit:
Rodeo Clown said:
(neutral) Darji
Banned
(Today, 04:05 PM)
Reply | Quote

High fives all around.
Whoops.

Rodeo Clown said:
(neutral) Darji
Banned
(Today, 04:05 PM)
Reply | Quote

High fives all around.

^^

"so I cant argue about scores from games which i didnt played or read the review?"

Genius quote. I'm going to remember this when Darji is unbanned.

Redd

Well Darji is gone let's stay on topic. Seriously guys that was a great score. I'm starting to think some people here wanted it to be high to brag that this game was better then some other game or whatnot. It was a great score!

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
Holy crap. You guys are making even the most delusional Nintendo fans around here look positively sane by comparison.

sonynintendoalt.jpg

traveler

Not Wario
Darji is gone? Well, I can't say I didn't see it coming. I was trying to hold off, though, and give him the benefit of the doubt. (i.e. assume that so much of this was due to his lack of understanding of English)

Regardless, there are more deserving people here than him. Yes, he had the foolishness to be blatant about this idiocy, but transparent subtlety over a prolonged amount of time is just as bad as a burst of tactlessness.

skip

Rodeo Clown said:
Back on topic, Skip, when is the GH3 review going up and who reviewed it?

I'm reviewing it, will go up some time next week. (I gave it the 9 in EGM, so there's a preview. and closure for darji.)

traveler

Not Wario
skip said:
I'm reviewing it, will go up some time next week. (I gave it the 9 in EGM, so there's a preview. and closure for darji.)

You just don't get it, do you? GH3 is multiplatform; you guys need to give a PS3-only game 9s and up. (three 10s would be preferrable) And make sure you don't mention anything about the PS3's power, any reference to how the tilt functionality compares to other games, any percieved lack of innovation, (10 for Halolz after all amirite?) etc. Then, only then, will you get our precious site hits.

SPEA

PepsimanVsJoe said:
^^

"so I cant argue about scores from games which i didnt played or read the review?"

Genius quote. I'm going to remember this when Darji is unbanned.
Wow. One of the best quotes I've ever read on Gaf. Hands down.

traveler said:
You just don't get it, do you? GH3 is multiplatform; you guys need to give a PS3-only game 9s and up. (three 10s would be preferrable) And make sure you don't mention anything about the PS3's power, any reference to how the tilt functionality compares to other games, any percieved lack of innovation, (10 for Halolz after all amirite?) etc. Then, only then, will you get our precious site hits.

I don't know what's worse, Darj's completely lunacy or your avid interest in defending mediocrity for no other reason than that it somewhat supports your own preferred angle. But hey, maybe you do have a reasonable explanation for why a reviewer would fail to mention character/creature design and animation in reference to a game that is basically built around said qualities? And your defense of the "diminishing returns" angle, perhaps you should save that for a game and review where it may actually be applicable.

I despise reviews that try to justify a low score throughout the entire review with little more than "Eh, it was good but it wasn't amazing." as justification

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
skip said:
Which version did you review and has anyone in the office played the PC version?

Gigglepoo

typhonsentra said:
I despise reviews that try to justify a low score throughout the entire review with little more than "Eh, it was good but it wasn't amazing." as justification

Unless you present solid evidence to the contrary, I'm going to assume your hypothetical review does not exist. I have never read a review that explicitly says a game is good tagged with a low score. I'm sure an editor would catch that clear oversight before it was published. "Good" and "Low" are clear contradictions.

Armitage

AltogetherAndrews said:
I don't know what's worse, Darj's completely lunacy or your avid interest in defending mediocrity for no other reason than that it somewhat supports your own preferred angle. But hey, maybe you do have a reasonable explanation for why a reviewer would fail to mention character/creature design and animation in reference to a game that is basically built around said qualities? And your defense of the "diminishing returns" angle, perhaps you should save that for a game and review where it may actually be applicable.

it seems like he is joking.

traveler

Not Wario
AltogetherAndrews said:

1. What, exactly, does your comment of mediocrity refer to? I honestly don't know.
2. My own angle? And what would that be, pray tell.
3. He does bring up Ratchet's improved fur, but, other than that, you are correct. I honestly didn't realize the design and animation was so important and, besides, aren't these features one can glean from viewing any of the numerous trailers for the game? I would have praised it personally, (based on the dancing animations alone) but, hey, I'm not Joe.
4. "Diminishing returns" is applicable to all of next-gen; there is not a single exception. The jump from last gen to this gen just isn't as plain impressive as previous ones.

The biggest problem here is that you guys are taking a few complaints in a sea of positivity and turning what, by any standard, is a review that is quite happy with the game into some sort of hate-fest.

skip

Rodeo Clown said:
Which version did you review and has anyone in the office played the PC version?

tree-sitty. I'm trying to get my hands on the PS3/Wii versions this week, and I'm not sure what the status of the PC code is. I'll check with GFW nerdz.

I've never said it was a hate fest. What I'm focusing on are things that are ridiculous by their inclusion, or as is the case with the animation and design, exclusion. And those are some pretty big points too, especially the one about not quite seeing that leap over last gen efforts. If it's present in any game, it'd be in this one, and a quick look at said last gen efforts confirms as much. But hey, it's possible that Joe there is just plain blind to it, and that's why I wonder if maybe this isn't what he should be doing.

Gigglepoo

AltogetherAndrews said:
I've never said it was a hate fest. What I'm focusing on are things that are ridiculous by their inclusion, or as is the case with the animation and design, exclusion. And those are some pretty big points too, especially the one about not quite seeing that leap over last gen efforts. If it's present in any game, it'd be in this one, and a quick look at said last gen efforts confirms as much. But hey, it's possible that Joe there is just plain blind to it, and that's why I wonder if maybe this isn't what he should be doing.

Two points:

1) Up Your Arsenal is my second favorite platformer ever. I don't think the animation comment your seaching for is important at all.

2) The diminishing returns comment praised the PS2 more than it insulted the PS3. UYA looked incredible. It's hard to wow Joe (apparantly) when the previous game already looked ridiculously awesome.

Druz

i dont know why You guys banned me. I read them for fun, and perhaps just to get another take on it. Sometimes there's a quality to a game that I've actually missed, and a good review, a rare thing indeed, might be able to pinpoint that. And then I read some reviews written by known buttholes just because I need some easy agitation to go with my morning coffee. There's the odd review where I'm actually looking for information on whether a game is worth a purchase or not, but the aforementioned poor standards in reviews makes that a rare occurrence.

Top Bottom