• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New EGM scores (Burnout 3, Silent Hill 4, VJ PS2, Pikmin 2)

Solid

Teh old?

http://www.gamefront.de/

Spiel des Monats:
Burnout 3: Takedown (Xbox/PS2, EA): 9.0 / 9.5 / 9.0 *Gold*

Weitere Wertungen:

Silent Hill 4 (PS2, Konami): 7.5 / 7.5 / 7.5
Viewtiful Joe (PS2, Capcom): 8.5 / 8.5 / 9.0 *Silber*
NASCAR 2005 (PS2/GC/Xbox, EA): 9.0, 8.0, 9.0 *Silber*
Street Racing Syndicate (PS2/GC/Xbox, EA): 7.0 / 6.0 / 6.0
ESPN NHL 2K5 (Xbox/PS2, Sega): 8.5 / 8.5 / 8.0 *Silber*
NHL 2005 (Xbox/PS2/GC, EA): 6.0 / 6.0 / 7.0
Catwoman (Xbox/PS2/GC, EA): 4.5 / 5.5 / 2.0
Armored Core: Nexus (PS2, From Software): 6.0 / 6.0 / 5.0
Guilty Gear X2 #Reload (Xbox, Sammy): 9.0 / 8.5 / 9.0 *Silber*
Dynasty Warriors 4: Empires (PS2, Koei): 6.0 / 5.5 / 6.5
Star Ocean: Till The End of Time (PS2, Square Enix): 7.0 / 7.0. 7.5
Astro Boy (PS2, Sega): 5.0 / 3.0 / 5.0
Hot Shots Golf Fore! (PS2, Sony): 7.0 / 8.5 / 6.5
Phantom Brave (PS2, Nippon Ichi): 8.5 / 8.5 / 8.5 *Silber*
Spy Fiction (PS2, Sammy): 5.5 / 3.0 / 5.0
Sudeki (Xbox, Microsoft): 4.5 / 6.0 / 5.5
Pikmin 2 (GC, Nintendo): 8.5 / 9.0 / 9.0 *Silber*
Amazing Island (GC, Sega 5.5 / 3.0 / 5.5)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Someone post the rumors

p.s. what's the big new game thats suppose to be in this issue?

oh it's scarface...haha..haha...HAHAHAHHAHAHA

EGM sucks

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Jacobi said:
teh already posted in teh scarface thread.

Funny because it was new info in an old news thread. Gotta love the inter web.

Bluemercury said:
Silent hill franchise=game over.

Actually, is gone into a "Our fans will support us enough." mode. While it wasn't the best out of the 4, its still a good SH game.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Bluemercury said:
Silent hill franchise=game over.

Why? Is it the fact that it recieved the same (or higher) scores across the board than the last two games? I believe Silent Hill 2 had some 7.0s in there, and it is one of my favorite games on the PS2...

The games are not for everyone, though...and I think the scores reflect that.

explodet

Good showings for Viewtiful Joe, Phantom Brave and Pikmin 2.
Someone rated HSG4 a 6.5? And 7's for Star Ocean? Bail out!

Jacobi said:
teh already posted in teh scarface thread.
Which one? I've counted three Scarface threads so far.

Che

Banned

what? What? WHAT? WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT? Plz someone tell me that Star Ocean is good and that EGM editors are stupid.

Wario64 said:
oh it's scarface...haha..haha...HAHAHAHHAHAHA

EGM sucks
No, I think it's more like "The Intarweb got itself worked up over absolutely nothing, with remarkably little prodding from EGM."

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Burnout3 + Pikmin2 GET! :D :D

Though I may wait on Burnout3 till I pick up an Xbox, I played the PS2 demo yesterday and it burned my eyes. looks like a ton of fun though.

jarrod

Banned
dark10x said:
Silent Hill games just never seem to score very well with mags...
That's not entirely true... besides SH4 seems to be a notable drop so far for the series...

-Silent Hill (PlayStation) 84.4%
-Silent Hill 2 (PlayStation 2) 86.0%
-Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams (Xbox) 82.1%
-Silent Hill 3 (PlayStation 2) 83.6%
-Silent Hill 4: The Room (PlayStation 2) 73.8%

dark10x

scola said:
Burnout3 + Pikmin2 GET! :D :D

Though I may wait on Burnout3 till I pick up an Xbox, I played the PS2 demo yesterday and it burned my eyes. looks like a ton of fun though.

The PS2 demo does not support 480p, while the final game does. That will make a huge difference...

dark10x

jarrod said:
That's not entirely true... besides SH4 seems to be a notable drop so far for the series...

-Silent Hill (PlayStation) 84.4%
-Silent Hill 2 (PlayStation 2) 86.0%
-Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams (Xbox) 82.1%
-Silent Hill 3 (PlayStation 2) 83.6%
-Silent Hill 4: The Room (PlayStation 2) 73.8%

I hope you didn't gank those from Gamerankings...as The Room has far less reviews available at this point (only 6 reviews are currently counted on GR). That is NOT a fair comparison, by any stretch...

As I done said:

- Sega continues their spiral into oblivion. Incredibly, Amazing Island fares better than Astro Boy.
- Silent Hill 4 fails to impress.
- Nippon Ichi > Squeenix
- "Sudeki: It's Better Than Spy Fiction"
- Pikmin 2 rocks.

dark10x

- Sega continues their spiral into oblivion. Incredibly, Amazing Island fares better than Astro Boy.
- Nippon Ichi > Squeenix
- Pikmin 2 rocks.
- Guilty Gear X2 #Reload also rocks.
- Burnout 3 rocks even more.

dark10x said:
What's funny is that Sammy went ahead and licensed out their fantastic game (GGXX) then published a total dog (Spy Fiction)...

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
dark10x said:
The PS2 demo does not support 480p, while the final game does. That will make a huge difference...
That does not really affect me since I don't have an HDTV, I was basing that off of BO2 which featured higher resolution textures and slightly better car models on the GC and Xbox than the ps2 version (I don't recall the actual differences though). The PS2 version wouldn't be that big of a deal, and is likely what I will end up with.

dark10x

Kobun Heat said:
What's funny is that Sammy went ahead and licensed out their fantastic game (GGXX) then published a total dog (Spy Fiction)...

...after viewing the small Sammy segment featured in Gamespot's "On the Spot", I am not suprised. They seemed to be trying just a bit TOO hard to be "cool".

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Street Racing Syndicate (PS2/GC/Xbox, EA): 7.0 / 6.0 / 6.0
Geez... well I still have to take a look at it... Why does this say EA? I thought this was a Namco picked up title?

Spy Fiction (PS2, Sammy): 5.5 / 3.0 / 5.0
Geez I was hoping this would be a semi-decent Winback level game... actually wait... Winback might have gotten similar reviews. ;)

- Sega continues their spiral into oblivion. Incredibly, Amazing Island fares better than Astro Boy. Thankfully, they redeem themselves with the incredibly cheap and good ESPN NHL2k5.
- Nippon Ichi > Squeenix
- Pikmin 2 rocks.

AniHawk

Che said:

what? What? WHAT? WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT? Plz someone tell me that Star Ocean is good and that EGM editors are stupid.

ToS > SO3

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Drexon said:
Hmmm, german... Does this mean that GGXX#R Xbox will come out in EU?

Look more closely and you will see
german is only what the site happens to be
the scores are from the US, EGM to be precise
Wow, Burnout 3 got a nice score, well ain't that nice!

jarrod

Banned
dark10x said:
I hope you didn't gank those from Gamerankings...as The Room has far less reviews available at this point (only 6 reviews are currently counted on GR). That is NOT a fair comparison, by any stretch...
Well, maybe not so far, but I can't see SH4 getting amazing enough scores to suddenly bring it back to "B" status with the rest of the series... let's just look at EGM scores though...

-Silent Hill (PlayStation) 86.2%
-Silent Hill 2 (PlayStation 2) 83.3%
-Silent Hill 3 (PlayStation 2) 86.6%
-Silent Hill 4: The Room (PlayStation 2) 75.0%

...notice anything similar?

dark10x

jarrod said:
Well, maybe not so far, but I can't see SH4 getting amazing enough scores to suddenly bring it back to "B" status with the rest of the series... let's just look at EGM scores though...

-Silent Hill (PlayStation) 86.2%
-Silent Hill 2 (PlayStation 2) 83.3%
-Silent Hill 3 (PlayStation 2) 86.6%
-Silent Hill 4: The Room (PlayStation 2) 75.0%

...notice anything similar?

If you actually had seen those scores in context, though, you would realize that there was simply more of a disagreement between the editors. This is 7.5 across the board, where as the others were quite divided.

Still, what exactly are you trying to prove? Let's wait until we see who these reviewers are before passing judgement, as many other mags I have read have awarded Silent Hill 2 scores of 6 and 7.

ToS > SO3

It's a shame that ToS has a shit soundtrack. :\ I would like it so much more if the music was good.

6 reviews is not a big enough sample to compare it to the other Silent Hill games.

Something tells me the lackluster SO3 reviews are due to some degree of bitterness about the game being delayed so many times.

Insertia

What did EGM say about PS2 Viewtiful Joe? When it was rumored to come to PS2 it was said that the textures would be way worse and it would sport slowdown.

Prove teh naysayers wrong!

jarrod

Banned
dark10x said:
If you actually had seen those scores in context, though, you would realize that there was simply more of a disagreement between the editors. This is 7.5 across the board, where as the others were quite divided.
Well by all means, post the old EGM scores for us then. Give the context you insist is so vital.

dark10x said:
Still, what exactly are you trying to prove?
Just that SH4 seems to be a critical drop for the series. Evidently there's more at play here than your implictation of the series in general scoring low, as all the previous games managed fairly consistant reviews overall...

But let's look at some of the other reviewers...

EuroGamer
-Silent Hill 2 (PlayStation 2) 90.0%
-Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams (Xbox) 90.0%
-Silent Hill 3 (PlayStation 2) 90.0%
-Silent Hill 4: The Room (PlayStation 2) 70.0%

NTSC UK
-Silent Hill 2 (PlayStation 2) 80.0%
-Silent Hill 3 (PlayStation 2) 90.0%
-Silent Hill 4: The Room (PlayStation 2) 60.0%

Games Radar
-Silent Hill 2 (PlayStation 2) 92.0%
-Silent Hill 3 (PlayStation 2) 87.0%
-Silent Hill 4: The Room (PlayStation 2) 74.0%

...and taking the average overall for SH2-4 PS2 from the given media outlets (as those are the only 3 SH games all 4 media have reviewed)....

-Silent Hill 2 (PlayStation 2) 86.2%
-Silent Hill 3 (PlayStation 2) 88.4%
-Silent Hill 4: The Room (PlayStation 2) 69.8%

...and the drop seems consistant (a little worse actually). Not a good sign at the least... SH4 is hardly performing normally for the line.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I'm actually pretty curious about the SO3 scores... because EGM usually seems to be content with giving the majority of (even average quality) RPGs 8.5s. That's an awfully low score for the game. Oh well, I should play NASCAR, since they gave that game a good rating!

dark10x

Socreges said:
dark10x is unravelling!!

It's true! Make jarrod stop! He's ruining my day!

I'm only holding onto the fact that most people told me that Silent Hill 3 was crap prior to release (since it was released in the US after all other territories).

WHY MUST YOU DASH MY DREAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111

:(

jarrod

Banned
Sorry dark, didn't mean to upset you.

I've gotta admit though, I relish it when any Survival Horror series goes down in flames. :)

dark10x

jarrod said:
Sorry dark, didn't mean to upset you.

I've gotta admit though, I relish it when any Survival Horror series goes down in flames. :)

...it's one of my favorite series ever. :( :(

I'm trying to keep my chin up here! At least the soundtrack is really good. :(

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
dorikyasu said:
Hot Shots Golf Fore! (PS2, Sony): 7.0 / 8.5 / 6.5

Wonder what's wrong with it...

I didn't like how they handled the online play. Lobby chat sucks (actually, there is no lobby chat, you can once you join a game via keyboard). The chatting screen is terrible. In between rounds, you can chat with other people as they finish their holes. THe thing is that you can only see comments from 7 people on the screen. Each person has their own little chat box that they can type into. So instead of having a chat window like IRC or a regular chat room, you have individual chat boxes for each character that you have to constantly scan. If you have more than 7 people in the tournament playing, it's a chore to read everyone's comments cause you have to physically scroll up and down through the scoreboard to see what everyone is saying. There was als no voice chat supported in the beta, not sure if they added it in time for the final product. And waiting between rounds is LONG. There's a timelimit for each hole and if a person doesn't get the ball in the hole before the time expires, they get automatically kicked off. This usually forces the game creator to make the time limit a bit high so that everyone has a chance to play. If you're a veteran HSG player, you'll find yourself waiting in between holes for up to 2-3 minutes. Ugh.

Granted, this is all impressions from the beta, so they might have fixed some things aruond, or maybe not...

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Has any golf game that didn't use licensed real world courses commission real life course designers to help their game development? I find that most "fictional" golf games that are somewhat realisitic don't really have well designed courses. I think it'd be cool if they had some professional course designer on board and just let him design away without any real-world restraints like budget or landscape limitations.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
I didn't find Silent Hill 4 to be all that great. The Import is 100% in English, so I don't think that I missed anything. It has some great moments, but for the most part, it was a real disappointment.

Che

Banned
Well said dark. Every single time it's the same story. Mags rate it low, haters will bash it even though they haven't played it and then it turns out to be a great game. And till Silent Hill stops selling like condoms it's not game over for it no matter how bad any magazine reviews it.

dark10x

Fatghost28 said:
I didn't find Silent Hill 4 to be all that great. The Import is 100% in English, so I don't think that I missed anything. It has some great moments, but for the most part, it was a real disappointment.

How did you feel about the other games?

Silent Hill 4 is definitely a step back for the series. Here's what's wrong with SH4 (maybe light spoilers):

- Very lame monster designs, especially when compared to SH2 and SH3... the "monsters" in this are game so generic, and the "ghosts" are boring too.

- No true alternate evil world for any of the areas, only the last area can be considered as such and even then, it's pretty tame :(

- Character development is quite lacking, to be fair though most games have this problem.

- The plot is not even remotely used to it's full potential. Being locked inside an apartment is a great idea for a horror story, but it's mostly a waste here.

- No real graphical improvements, though they are still good. Also no flashlight anywhere in the game! :(

And the worst thing about Silent Hill 4, for what is considered by many the scariest of all survival horror franchises:

- This game is not scary at any point in the game! Sure there are some creepy moments but this game simply can't hold a candle to the previous titles' scare factor in any way, shape or form. Fans of this series will probably still enjoy it, but I guarantee most of you will be disappointed.

Top Bottom